Honda Phantom Hard Bags

Gearoil

Hello everybody.Excuse my electrical ignorance but I need some advice about wiring up new indicators on my Honda Phantom.I bought a pair of side panniers from Dr Bike in Bangkok which necessitate removing the original indicators and wiring up the new ones which are attached to the new side boxes and only have one wire coming out.After removing the original indicators,there are two wires,red and green on the left side and blue and green on the right side.Am I to believe that the green wires are for earth and therefore the other wires are to be connected to the single wire in the boxes.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,Keith

Panniers w/o top box looks great on a Phantom. Has a "touring" type of look.

I can't say for sure because with all the custom mods done to local Phantoms each have their own setup including mine.

From pure logic alone the 2 greens being constant they were probably marked as "negative" and the red and blue being left and right. But I'm not an electrician nor do I dare to tinker with bike electrics so I'll leave the best judgment to the more qualified vets here.

Having played around with the front indicators on my Phantom the wiring is as you describe and the green is the negative cable.

I was thinking of replacing my old panniers which are brand X and the top box with a bigger Givi than I have now from Dr Bike.

I assumed that they would do it for me at a reasonable price.

I have a problem out here in the sticks getting the right cable let alone the right colours.

I am also thinking of putting a Koso elctronic speedo on my Phantom.

link

http://www.asianconceptthai.com/index.php?...amp;language=EN

That meter sure is cool!

The rev counter is going to be very useful; right now I can only judge revs by the feel and sound of the motor. I can't actually draw a rough RPM vs torque graph as engine sound does "depend on mood" :) . I believe they just have to hook up a wire/sensor to the spark plug cable for it to work.

If Thai Phantoms really don't have the highbeam, signal and neutral indicators on the fork brace then it would certainly fit perfectly. For my case I'm looking for a much simpler race-style RPM bar to match the stock fork brace indicators.

I don't have a pic but here in Singapore there are a handful of people affixing these to their 150cc 2 stroke Phantoms. I guess they like the 170+ kph top speed that much to consider investing in a race-style speedo.

Speaking of speed, your top speed may appear to decrease.. in your imagination, as I believe most motorcycle speedos over-read by a fair margin (depending on wheel diameter too). Digital meters don't have such errors if calibrated well.

Edited by Kalyan

Just an update to the saga of my hard bags.

I connected the green wires to the frame and the other single wires to the new indicators.Result was that the front indicators came on but did not blink.Zero happened from the rear indicators.I then had a brainwave and decided to run a wire from the frame to the rear indicator housings.Result was that front and rear indicators come on but still do not blink.Has anybody got the magic answer for this electrically inept person.

All sensible advice will be greatly appreciated as I would like to ride my bike this year. :)

Edited by Gearoil

Just an update to the saga of my hard bags.

I connected the green wires to the frame and the other single wires to the new indicators.Result was that the front indicators came on but did not blink.Zero happened from the rear indicators.I then had a brainwave and decided to run a wire from the frame to the rear indicator housings.Result was that front and rear indicators come on but still do not blink.Has anybody got the magic answer for this electrically inept person.

All sensible advice will be greatly appreciated as I would like to ride my bike this year. :)

Silly question time.

Did the indicators work before?

I had a similar problem once and it was something to do with the wattage of the bulb I replaced.

The front bulbs are sort od a festoon with a flat bit to put in the socket and the rear bulbs are ordinary.

I can't tell you what my bike has now as it after 10 at night and I am tired.

I will write myself a note to remind me but I won't be posting until the evening.

I am attaching a PDF copy of the Honda Phantom owners manual that may be of some help to you.

I got from the Phantom Knights forum in Singapore.

Honda_owners_manual.pdf

Many thanks for the replies.I was worried that my wiring was not up to scratch but the only problem was the actual rear bulbs being a different wattage.These have now been replaced and everything is fine. :)

Also many thanks for the Phantom manual.

Edited by Gearoil

Many thanks for the replies.I was worried that my wiring was not up to scratch but the only problem was the actual rear bulbs being a different wattage.These have now been replaced and everything is fine. :)

Also many thanks for the Phantom manual.

No prob Bob