New To Hua Hin

HuaHin2010

Hello people. I have just moved to Hua Hin and could use a few pointers if anyone has the time to post? Im sorry for the 20 questions and I dont expect too many people to reply but you never know. Thanks!

1) Squash court anywhere? I doubt there is one but figure no harm in asking

2) Nice Thai food. SIlly question I know as there are lots of nice places to eat. But what I mean is.... Somewhere thats easy to park the car outside, not high tourist prices. I have been eating at the place opposite McDonalds - I think its part of the hotel there. Thats realy great food but im bored of it now and need other places to check out.

3) Golf. Everywhere is so dam_n expensive! Is there no courses where I can just turn up and have a knock for like, 1000 Baht? It all seems to be 2/3000!

4) Nightlife. What pubs would you reccomend for a mixture of locals, a few tourists, nice girls to look at, and big screen tv for football? I have had a mooch around the beer bar sois but nothing jumped out at me. Those bars are great for a single bloke like me to have a bit of 'sanook' but as a single bloke with no pals down here yet i dont want to bar hop from beer bar to beer bar having the same crap conversations with all the girls you know? I need a decent pub I guess

5) I here there is a decent Thai nightclub just outside town with live music, real popular with the Thais. I forget the name now but its a well klnown place. is it the sort of place where a bloke can just walk in on his own and have a beer?

6) Hilton Disco. Any good?

7) are there any beach bars in HH?

8) Dog breeders. Im thinking of buying a nice sporting dog... American Pit, Bull Terrier or something like that. Any breeders in HH?

9) where do all the non bar girls hang out? Any decent pick up spots? I just mean for chatting up a few girls and having a laugh, nothign seedy like.

Cant think of any others for now.... Thanks in advance for any pointers you can give!

Cheers

I can help with the golf question. The Royal, and a few others, charge $1,000 Baht after 3. It's 250 baht plus tip for caddie. I think that once you get to know the people, there are other deals available. Wait a couple weeks, and more will do the same or better. I hope that helps. I agree with you that it can be expensive at certain courses.

Shotime thanks for that. Ill check that out. Even if its a busy day it should be possible to get 18 holes in, at a push.

MITM thats great news.... Do you know if they have a league or anything? The next step is to find some people to have a knock with.....

And the reason you chose Hua Hin?

Phuket is MUCH nicer, although the rents in HH CAN be better. I lived there 3years ago for about a year.

1) Don't know

2) I used to eat frequently at the big mall food court and some of the smaller Thai/Japanese/Chinese. A/C, good parking and lots of ladies to ogle.

3) There are one or two municipal golf courses in PKK province with reasonable fees...check the net or the Chamber of Commerce booth under clock tower.

4) Almost all the hotels have nice bars with farangs to talk to and no pressure from girls. 2-3 Streets pointed toward beach, north of clock tower have a few.

5) Hin Nam Sai Suay Hotel (nort of town)has a nice Disco/Dance Club/Bar setup that the local HI SO's like. Two venues there.

6)Hilton Disco...hmm...so so. '~'

7)Reggae beach bar north of Hilton and "Richard's" north of the reggae one. Others also north of that. Some associated with hotels.

8)Check the animal shelter east of town near Temple...might find a "keeper" there.

9) City beach hotel ground floor disco/club has THE pick-up hot spot...forget the name. Hin Nam Sai Suay not bad also.

10) Internet dating works pretty well in HH...just beware of sharks in "seacow" clothing.

Good Luck

"1) Squash court anywhere? I doubt there is one but figure no harm in asking"

Two at the Hilton gym and anyone can join for a month or longer.

"2) Nice Thai food. SIlly question I know as there are lots of nice places to eat. But what I mean is.... Somewhere thats easy to park the car outside, not high tourist prices. I have been eating at the place opposite McDonalds - I think its part of the hotel there. Thats realy great food but im bored of it now and need other places to check out."

You've been eating at the Sirin Hotel restaurant. That is one of the best places in town for Thai food at reasonable prices. If you are bored with that and want to stay downtown, go around the corner on Soi Poolsuk and try BamBam or Moonsmile and Platoo (one restaurant with a double name). Since you have a car you should check out some of the others I've previously suggested on the pinned Thai Restaurants thread above, notably:

Minifarm Kitchen on Soi 88 beside 7/11 just across the railroad tracks and turn right.

Kim's Kitchen along the railroad tracks (east side).

Tamarind Restaurant on a dirt road in Nongkae beside the railroad track (east side) just north of the flyover. (You have to walk across a little wooden bridge over a canal. The sign is only in Thai so this may be hard to find but it is worth the trouble).

Usa Mass in Khao Takiab just past the new white temple on the opposite side of the road.

"3) Golf. Everywhere is so dam_n expensive! Is there no courses where I can just turn up and have a knock for like, 1000 Baht? It all seems to be 2/3000!"

There is a military course in Pranburi for about that price and there is a free (military) 9 hole course in Dolphin Bay. Don't expect great conditions though.

"4) Nightlife. What pubs would you reccomend for a mixture of locals, a few tourists, nice girls to look at, and big screen tv for football? I have had a mooch around the beer bar sois but nothing jumped out at me. Those bars are great for a single bloke like me to have a bit of 'sanook' but as a single bloke with no pals down here yet i dont want to bar hop from beer bar to beer bar having the same crap conversations with all the girls you know? I need a decent pub I guess"

Again, since you have a car, try some of the places on Soi 80 like Thaiwaii or Dick's Office. Further out on Soi 102 is Bobby's Bar which is a Brit owned pub. There are lots of them in out of the way places so if you don't like the beer bars downtown, just drive some of the other sois and check them out. O'Neils Irish Pub on Soi Poolsuk fits your requirements but it's a bit on the expensive side.

"5) I here there is a decent Thai nightclub just outside town with live music, real popular with the Thais. I forget the name now but its a well klnown place. is it the sort of place where a bloke can just walk in on his own and have a beer?"

Can't help with that one. I think you are talking about the area north of town past the palace where there are several Thai nightclubs, discos and bars. If you go out there at night they are well lit with big signs.

"6) Hilton Disco. Any good?"

Tourist oriented... loud, expensive, but if you like discos, this is probably the best falang oriented one in town.

"7) are there any beach bars in HH?"

Lots, mostly restaurants with bars attached. The best are open day times only and are south of the mountain in Takiab IMO.

"8) Dog breeders. Im thinking of buying a nice sporting dog... American Pit, Bull Terrier or something like that. Any breeders in HH?"

I saw a sign for a Huskie breeder along the railroad tracks near Soi 94. I've heard of others around but sorry, cannot give you a location.

"9) where do all the non bar girls hang out? Any decent pick up spots? I just mean for chatting up a few girls and having a laugh, nothign seedy like."

Again, being a married man, I can't answer that one, but the Hilton disco mentioned earlier has a mix of "professional girls" and regular girls.

Shotime thanks for that. Ill check that out. Even if its a busy day it should be possible to get 18 holes in, at a push.

MITM thats great news.... Do you know if they have a league or anything? The next step is to find some people to have a knock with.....

Generally, you can get in 18. No need to push, and no way to play like that.

Do you know if they have a league or anything? The next step is to find some people to have a knock with.....

There are three golf leagues or societies. One is sponsored by a bar/restaurant in Takiab, there is a Swedish one, and the largest (around 75 members last I heard) and oldest one in Hua Hin is The Hua Hin Golf Society run out of Bernies Inn down in the Bazaar area (in a little walking alleyway) just off the beach road across from the Sofitel Hotel. I would suggest you go to Bernie's some evening and talk to him about it to see if they have any membership openings at the moment or if you can play with them as a guest. They play twice a week (Tuesdays and Fridays) I think at all the area courses at 40 to 60% discounts off the normal rates and they also take bus trips occasionally to play courses in Ratchaburi, Kanchanaburi, and even Pattaya once a year.

There is a great Indian restaurant on Soi Poon Suk (I think). One of the best Indians I have tried, the best in Thailand and certainly the best value - average price of a dish is around 70-100 baht.

If you are talking about the one that was just north of Chomsin road on PoonSuk, it has recently moved and reopened on Soi 94 in the section of small shops on the south side of the soi between Phetkasem road and the Railroad track. It still gets good reviews and is very reasonably priced. It's called "S&S" and they have a Sunday night buffet for 99 baht that is highly recommended.

There is a great Indian restaurant on Soi Poon Suk (I think). One of the best Indians I have tried, the best in Thailand and certainly the best value - average price of a dish is around 70-100 baht.

If you are talking about the one that was just north of Chomsin road on PoonSuk, it has recently moved and reopened on Soi 94 in the section of small shops on the south side of the soi between Phetkasem road and the Railroad track. It still gets good reviews and is very reasonably priced. It's called "S&S" and they have a Sunday night buffet for 99 baht that is highly recommended.

Yes, their prices are very reasonable. Their chicken curries range from 65 baht to 85 baht while the lamb curries cost between 110 and 135 baht. Fish and prawn curries are between 95 and 115 baht.

Guys I am sorry for the delay in replying - Inyernet issues - I realy appreciate all of your help and advice and in particular Gerry In Asia and HH Ferang with some brilliant pointers.

Phuket may be better but to be honest, its just too far south for me. I like to be close to BKK. ANd anyway, I like it here in HH. I tried the Him Nam Suay on Saturday night and had a great crack. Must stay off the Thai whisky though - bugger me I made a bit of a cock of myself, dancing like a prat. Hilton Disoc was checked out on Sunday night and I didnt think too much of ti to be honest.

HH Ferang i went to bernies bar and asked about society. They also have a guy that is selling a membership at a local course..... 130,000 with 9 years left. I may look at that also.

Thanks everyone

Guys I am sorry for the delay in replying - Inyernet issues - I realy appreciate all of your help and advice and in particular Gerry In Asia and HH Ferang with some brilliant pointers.

Phuket may be better but to be honest, its just too far south for me. I like to be close to BKK. ANd anyway, I like it here in HH. I tried the Him Nam Suay on Saturday night and had a great crack. Must stay off the Thai whisky though - bugger me I made a bit of a cock of myself, dancing like a prat. Hilton Disoc was checked out on Sunday night and I didnt think too much of ti to be honest.

HH Ferang i went to bernies bar and asked about society. They also have a guy that is selling a membership at a local course..... 130,000 with 9 years left. I may look at that also.

Thanks everyone

• 2 weeks later...

London Bar in the center of Hau Hin is good for a night out, there is no hassle and the owners Paul and Toon are hospitable and friendly. A good place to people watch, chill and listen to some sounds during the day.At night a good laugh...enjoy. :)