Violence And Terminate Of Rental Agreement

MHH

Hi there,

a friend was planing vacations in Hua Hin, in June, and rent a Poolvilla.

Deposit 50.000 Baht. Now he change his mind in face of the Red Shirts Actions.

Get he back his Deposit?

thank your comments

Need to look at the terms of the booking. Deposit may be non-refundable in the event of a no-show/cancellation, they usually are.

If he had travel insurance it may be possible to argue he has been advised by his government not to travel to Thailand .... but it is a long shot.

Agree that Hua Hin seems an unlikely place for trouble, however this morning the Foreign Office in the UK have warned against travelling in all Thailand.

From the BBC:

" Britons have been warned by the Foreign Office to avoid all but essential travel to the whole of Thailand. It said the advice "reflects the increasing tension" and fears that violent incidents are occurring across the country, not just in Bangkok. "

Insurance policies etc etc may be affected. :)

I agree, Hua Hin is not the place that you would see red shirts. And I only saw one pick up truck with red shirts here in all the time there was demonstrations and these were workers wearing work shirts so I guess they do not count as real red shirts hehe

Depending on the particular agency involved the deposit may be all or partially refundable. The online agency I use will refund a full hotel deposit/payment if canceled before two weeks of booking date. Within the last two weeks they will refund all but one night's payment but for a no show on the day of arrival they keep it all. You have to read the refund policy of the particular agency involved and if you did not get this information from them or they do not have one, do not use them again.

Although unlikely there would be trouble in Hua Hin, the OP may experience problems getting there and could also be confined to that area for the entire stay of his holiday. 2 days ago I took a friend to Muek Lek, between bangkok and Saraburi we came across 2 road blocks instigated by red shirts, this caused us about a 2 hour delay in traffic. We noticed 1 of the red shirts displaying a sidearm although police and army were present and not doing anything to stop them. Goernments issue warnings and the present state in Thailand should be of concern to tourists. As for the deposit, just call the agent and ask them the situation.