True, Hdtv & The World Cup

Rigsby

You can listen to BBC radio on the iplayer just not watch tv.

We've already gone over this in this thread, and i thought it was established and agreed that outside of the UK, you can not listen to the radio either.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've already gone over this in this thread, and i thought it was established and agreed that outside of the UK, you can not listen to the radio either.

Not even thru a proxy server ?

Basically, you CAN listen to all UK radio stations abroad - even the BBC, but not any TV at all. However, when there are Premiership matches etc. broadcast on radio - all UK radio stations will restrict them to UK listeners only. A proxy server or VPN which provides you with a UK IP address will do the trick (for TV & radio).

I've heard of people finding ways of beating the system, but i was talking about as the system is.

OK, this debate seems to be repeat of the one we had four years ago during the last world cup.

BBC radio is readily available through the internet, and I listen to radios 2, 4 and 5 regularly every day, and you only need minimal band width to receive it.

Radio 5 will carry live commentaries for all world cup matches.

HOWEVER - during the last world cup they blocked all football cometary transmissions via the internet as they did not have the rights to stream outside of the UK.

This also happens with their commentaries on regular premiership games - they are always blocked except on the odd occasion when they forget to do do it.

I may be wrong but I am assuming that the same thing will happen again. You can send an email to Radio 5 and ask them if you want to be sure.

Last time I searched the internet for days trying to find an English transmission, but wherever I managed to find one it was also blocked for streaming to other countries. It was something to do with the rights held by FIFA.

After a long search I finally got a link to The SUN UK website which was streaming live commentary that wasn't blocked. The reason it wasn't blocked was because it was being broadcast from a studio and the commentator was watching the games on TV. So it wasn't subject to a 'rights' restriction. They set it up to provide a service to people in the UK who had to work during the games and couldn't get any commentary via the internet.

It wasn't great, but better than nothing.

Next problem: There was a time delay between the internet commentary and the TV picture on Thai TV. The TV was ahead of the internet, and it was as much as 20 seconds.

I solved this problem by time delaying the TV by running it through my dvd recorder which had a facility to record and play back at the same time, and I can pre-set the time delay.

So for each match, I would check the time delay (it would vary from match to match), and then watch it in sync with my internet radio commentary.

It was a hel_l of a hassle and I won't bother this time. I'll just listen in Thai.

Edited by Mobi

Basically, you CAN listen to all UK radio stations abroad - even the BBC, but not any TV at all. However, when there are Premiership matches etc. broadcast on radio - all UK radio stations will restrict them to UK listeners only. A proxy server or VPN which provides you with a UK IP address will do the trick (for TV & radio).

Further to my above post, I think you will find that the BBC will not transmit any commentaries on the internet - not even for the UK, which is why the Sun stepped in with their 'unofficial' service.

Thanks Rigsby...

My wife called up and spoke with True Visions - Prices were quoted as per all of your information. We were not told that the commentary would not be in English (something I guess we specifically should have asked). I was in two minds whether or not to go with the HD service, my mind is now made up not to after reading this thread.

I hope the matches will be on True sport so I can watch at home (and put up with the oh-hoooorrrrr... geng-maaak... ai-yaaaaa commentary)

I've tried the internet radio stream and never had it work before for Rugby and football, its always cut off due some form of proprietary rights.

If anyone does come up an internet radio stream that might work I'd like to know about it.

I remember listening to David Campese and Will Carling on Talk Sport commentating from a pub (latest Rugby World Cup) and that was the best I could get at that time.

Edited by richard_smith237

I have tried Radio 5 Live for F1 racing, but my internet link is not reliable enough.

After 20-30 minutes the breaks mean that the commentary can be up to 2 minutes

behind the action. :)

Further to my above post, I think you will find that the BBC will not transmit any commentaries on the internet - not even for the UK, which is why the Sun stepped in with their 'unofficial' service.

Have to disagree with that. BBC RADIO 5 LIVE will be broadcasting ALL World Cup matches live. I doubt they'd chop the internet feed. If you're outside the UK you'll hear the usual - "This broadcast in only for listeners in the UK" blah, blah. With a proxy or VPN that gives you a UK IP you'll be able to listen fine.

If you've read somewhere that there will be no internet commentaries, please update this and show a link (if poss.). Thanks.

Can't handle the over dramatic penalities in football.

Too much drama?! What's that all about? Dicky heart?

Like the italians taking a dive in the last world cup that cost the aussies big time.

No we haven't forgot.

Have to disagree with that. BBC RADIO 5 LIVE will be broadcasting ALL World Cup matches live. I doubt they'd chop the internet feed. If you're outside the UK you'll hear the usual - "This broadcast in only for listeners in the UK" blah, blah. With a proxy or VPN that gives you a UK IP you'll be able to listen fine.

If you've read somewhere that there will be no internet commentaries, please update this and show a link (if poss.). Thanks.

There's is nothing to disagree about.

It is a pure fact. The BBC did not broadcast any feeds via the internet - even for the UK residents - during the last world cup in 2006. I repeat - NO INTERNET - I also repeat - that is why the Sun stepped in to bridge the gap.

I will contact BBC and enquire what is happening this time, and get back to you.

Like the italians taking a dive in the last world cup that cost the aussies big time.

No we haven't forgot.

Robbed you were.

No we haven't forgot.

Robbed you were.

thanks looking forward to AUS vs Germany game first up.

I used Stan James radio for live test cricket when the BBC was not broadcasting outside of England. worth a look at.

Much appreciated Mobi. I didn't realise there was no internet stream in 2006. I'll do a bit more digging myself & keep everyone posted.

I just submitted an enquiry via the BBC website, so we should know soon enough.

I am aware of what you have established and agreed, however I am in Thailand and am currently listening to radio 2 on the BBC iplayer.

Why do some people always say they are right when they quite clearly don't know? :)

I am aware of what you have established and agreed, however I am in Thailand and am currently listening to radio 2 on the BBC iplayer.

Why do some people always say they are right when they quite clearly don't know? :)

I don't think he said that you can not listen to BBC radio or any other internet radio , what I think he was saying is that they will not broadcast the world cup on the internet , period .

Just wrote to UBC informing them that I will be canceling my HDTV . Went to watch the NHL Stanley Cup finals being played live right now but they are showing a replay of the French Tennis Open instead . They showed most of the playoffs up until now but then they don't show the finals . this along with the fact that they lied about the World cup being in English makes it pretty easy to cancel this piss poor service .

I don't think he said that you can not listen to BBC radio or any other internet radio , what I think he was saying is that they will not broadcast the world cup on the internet , period .

If this is the case then my apologies to all those invovled :D .

My local Pub 'The Crossbar' in Bangkok has got a slingbox installed from the UK for the world cup with BBC or ITV commentary so i'll be heading down there for the England games.

Do you know if they will be open for the early morning England games?

If this is the case then my apologies to all those invovled :D .

Many thanks to maamoot for giving me the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, i'm unworthy of it. I was refering to listening to BBC radio at any time, not just at time of the World Cup. I was wrong. Reason for my confusion is that up until about a year ago i used to regularly use the iplayer to listen to a couple of shows on demand - one of which was Mark Kermode's Movie Reviews - anyway, by the by - suddenly i found i was unable to, and got the message about being outside of the UK. I assumed that this meant that all listening was blocked. I now realise that's not so. Listening to live streaming is not blocked. Listening on demand is - or at least was last time i tried.

So, sorry for my error.

Scully, quite where all this -Why do some people always say they are right when they quite clearly don't know? - comes from i don't know. Were you having a bad day perhaps?

Edited by rixalex

This site seems to be keepin track of all the internet streaming options, however even they say you can not listen to live commentary online for free.

http://www.penguinradio.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/index.php

Looks like a VPN will be our best bet.

Well it's time for me to apologise.

The above link to penguin radio site is their site as was 4 years ago!!! It shows information for radio streams for the 2006 World Cup, and it clearly states that BBC will be providing live feeds, but for the UK only.

So I must apologise - my memory is faulty - I thought they didn't stream at all. I can't for the life of me understand why I didn't use a proxy - or maybe I tried and it wouldn't work.

Anyway I am sorry for the confusion and being argumentative on this point. I was wrong.

I am still awaiting a reply from BBC, but it seems pretty clear that the same will happen again - live internet feeds for UK only, which presumably can be circumnavigated by using a proxy or VPN.

This site seems to be keepin track of all the internet streaming options, however even they say you can not listen to live commentary online for free.

http://www.penguinradio.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/index.php

Looks like a VPN will be our best bet.

Well it's time for me to apologise.

The above link to penguin radio site is their site as was 4 years ago!!! It shows information for radio streams for the 2006 World Cup, and it clearly states that BBC will be providing live feeds, but for the UK only.

So I must apologise - my memory is faulty - I thought they didn't stream at all. I can't for the life of me understand why I didn't use a proxy - or maybe I tried and it wouldn't work.

Anyway I am sorry for the confusion and being argumentative on this point. I was wrong.

I am still awaiting a reply from BBC, but it seems pretty clear that the same will happen again - live internet feeds for UK only, which presumably can be circumnavigated by using a proxy or VPN.

I am reasonably confident that we will be able to source English commentary over the Internet, albeit by way of VPN. HOWEVER, I am not at all confident that the commentary will be in sync with the pictures through UBC. Little point in having the commentary (in any language) if it's more than a couple of seconds behind play...

Saw someone mention that a Thai radio station will be broadcasting commentary in English. Anyone???

The sound will not be in sync.

In 2006 it was anything up to 30 seconds behind the TV picture, which I fixed by 'time delaying' the picture through my dvd recorder, as I explained in an earlier post on this thread.

You really can't watch the picture with the sound 20-30 seconds behind - I tried and it was hopeless to watch.

I don't think I will bother this time. Just watch the games with Thai commentary.

I spoke to True this morning and contrary to what I was told when I subscribed they sadly, confirmed that it will only be in Thai.

They purchased the license for the video feed but not the audio feed.

So even if we are prepared to pay more for English commentary it is not available.

Grrr, so am going to have to get an internet radio feed for world cup commentary now :)

You see the goal then on TV and hear it on the radio 5 sec. later. Annoying.

Same same for the last WC if I remember correctly.