Troubleshooting My Bike Xv 750 (Virago)

Hi ,

I was just testing my restored Yamaha XV 750 (virago ) today...not all is as it is supposed to be (yet...partially because there are some "cosmetic"parts missing) and one of the "faulty facts" is when i try to accelerate from 140kph up on 5th gear the clutch seems to "slip"....the rev willl go up but not the speed...but the mechanic ( who is fairly trustable) explained that he exchanged the clutch ..anything else i must look at to trouble shoot?

My virago has a new custom made exhause which really sounds great...but the bike merely "burbles" (Not really backfiring) when i reduce the accelerator , what is your suggestion to work it out ...or is it a rather harmless? Thank you,

tiger/sachs club - mbox

Sounds clearly like a clutch from the description..

When he changed the clutch, did he respring it ?? Perhaps the springs are old or somchai has put in a set of whatever he had laying about and they are not heavy duty enough ??

If you have new legit springs then thats tougher, perhaps shimming them to increase the load ?? I dont know if you could source hi comp springs on that model ??

Something else to consider? What is the clutch cable like and how much free plat do you have?

Have you had the bike for years or is it a new restore?

From memory, a mate in Oz had a problem similar to this that they eventually found to be a clapped out rubber drive hub in the rear wheel.

hi tigersachsclub,

If the Sound at the deceleration is like you describe, it is an intake problem( but it is not dangerous for the engine if you do not over rev all the time ), you have to upgrade the airfilter (may be try a K&N or another brand ) that should correct the problem.

For the clutch, most of time, the mechanic in Thailand change only the plate, but not the springs.

In your case, if you are saying that the clutch has been changed, but you still have the "slip"problem, then i believe that the mechanic went to buy some beers with your money.

You should take the mechanic for a ride, he will see the problem immediately as the "slip" effect will be even worst with 2 peoples on the bike

bye bye

Shark

Just place the bike in front of a wall or kerb.

Load the engine, check for clutch slip.

If it got a new clutch. Check the following.

1. Clutch cable adjustment.

2. Check springs

3. Visually check clutch if they are actually new. Since you have them out and confirmed are brand new. Place them in a bucket of oil. Same oil as you use in the bike. Leave it to soak overnight.

4. Good luck.

Seriously if engine RPM increases and bike does not accelerate. It defo points to the clutch.

Note: The above immediate remark is not applicable to Harleys.:) As we all know they make noise and not go anywhere.:D

Reinhard, where did you source the clutch? Locally, in Japan or in the EU, like on eBay? If it is a Lucas, why not call them? I often ask parts makers some questions...

Don't the springs come with the plates??

If it was a general clutch issue, why is this only an issue at high speed and in 5th?

Can you adjust the "travel" of the clutch lever you grab on the left side of the handle bars?

This might reduce the effect.

Ride on,

Chris

Reinhard, where did you source the clutch? Locally, in Japan or in the EU, like on eBay? If it is a Lucas, why not call them? I often ask parts makers some questions...

Don't the springs come with the plates??

If it was a general clutch issue, why is this only an issue at high speed and in 5th?

Can you adjust the "travel" of the clutch lever you grab on the left side of the handle bars?

This might reduce the effect.

Ride on,

Chris

Hi there,

Thanks for the replies.

Need to say that there was some mis-communication between me & mechanic ( my thai sucks ) and there was no new clutch installed(nor charged)...so it is back at the shop and have to get this done as well as the generator stator and the Idler gear set ( part of the starter gear)...will update in 2-3 weeks once it will be rideable.

Happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox