Motorcycle Headlight Modulators In Thailand?

Useful or Useless?   

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

While I've read a lot about headlight modulators and brake flashers I've never seen either one on a motorcycle here in Thailand. They seem to have become quite popular back in the US and I agree that anything that increases your visibility on two wheels is a good thing!

pathBlazer-anim6.gif

There are dozens of headlight modulators on the market- most are made to fit just about any bike. The "VisiPath" Headlight Modulator from Comagination and the Pathfinder from Kisan have received very good reviews.

Here are links to reviews of both:

Motorcycle Headlight Modulator - webBikeWorld

Kisan Pathfinder Headlight Modulator - Installing a Motorcycle Headlight Modulator - webBikeWorld

I wonder if this would be popular here in Thailand? Big bikes make up such a small percentage of the bikes on the roads and sorry to say, but judging from the sorry state of helmet use in this country I can't imagine too many "average" Thais spending even 20 Baht on a product like this. (Average cost of most headlight modulators is closer to US$100)

As for the rest of us who care about our lives I imagine it would be easy enough to order a modulator online and have it sent to Thailand. It's such a small item it's likely to arrive untaxed.

What do you guys think? Worthwhile product or a waste of time and money here in Thailand?

Happy Trails!

I have only seen them online.. I am intending to add a set to the blade but I might customise it a bit as I have 4 lights up front and may adapt it to just cycle the 2 high beams instead of a low high switch..

Actually just posted about these in another thread a day or two ago.

I've only seen one in Thailand, going the other way, and frankly it looked pretty feeble - kind of like a scooter on a rough road. Back in NZ there was a guy who had them on 4 lights on his HD - and you could see him coming a mile away. Made me wonder about *reverse* target fixation - someone getting drawn into the headlights rather than avoiding them.

I might put one in - can see a definite advantage especially in the daytime rain. But my gut tells me you wouldn't sell many. If you can get a small quantity for a reasonably good price, it won't cost you much in terms of lost opportunity costs, and you could test the local market that way. Maybe - but you know more about these things than I do :)

I've only seen one in Thailand, going the other way, and frankly it looked pretty feeble - kind of like a scooter on a rough road. Back in NZ there was a guy who had them on 4 lights on his HD - and you could see him coming a mile away. Made me wonder about *reverse* target fixation - someone getting drawn into the headlights rather than avoiding them.

I might put one in - can see a definite advantage especially in the daytime rain. But my gut tells me you wouldn't sell many. If you can get a small quantity for a reasonably good price, it won't cost you much in terms of lost opportunity costs, and you could test the local market that way. Maybe - but you know more about these things than I do :D

Cheers Noahvail,

I have no intention of selling this type of product in Thailand- it's a mate who asked me about them and where to get them in Thailand and I figured my reply was worth posting on the "Bikes in Thailand" forum to see what everyone else thinks. I suspect someone with some electrical engineering skills could whip up a decent modulator with parts from Chinatown for less than a thousand Baht. Good point about *reverse* target fixation- I could totally see that happening here in Thailand... :)

Ride On!

Tony

Let me guess ?? The guy was the guy who got the arrow pipe on Samui ??

He was the one I explained them to..

As to a reverse fixation.. At least they would have spotted you.. And I also tend to find That theres an assumption that a single headlight = scooter = scooter speeds.. With this I would expect there to be a bit of 'what the fuc_k is that' which would then at least give a little pause and possible extra consideration.

Agree that the circuit itself would be fairly simple.. A case of 'if lights = off, then run flashing system, if on then run normal system' fairly trivial and the kind of thing that is equal to a 100 baht LED indicator flasher.

As to a reverse fixation.. At least they would have spotted you.. And I also tend to find That theres an assumption that a single headlight = scooter = scooter speeds.. With this I would expect there to be a bit of 'what the fuc_k is that' which would then at least give a little pause and possible extra consideration.

Agree that the circuit itself would be fairly simple.. A case of 'if lights = off, then run flashing system, if on then run normal system' fairly trivial and the kind of thing that is equal to a 100 baht LED indicator flasher.

Erm, no, it's a mate in Chonburi who asked me about them... "what the fuc_k is that" LOL! Yeah- really don't know how effective modulated headlights would be in Thailand? Would they repel or attract your typical Thai driver? :)

I know that a lot of guys complain about how the Ninja 650R is set up to run with only one headlight on - I've noticed some people, including Thai police, think that one headlight (the high beam) is burned out and that seems to bother some folks... But wiring them up so that they are both on is a different subject which has been argued ad nauseum in other forums- "Do you ride with your high beams on during the day?"

Ride On!

Tony

Whenever going through Phukets roadblocks the Thai police often tell me to turn my headlight off.. I actually think some believe it to be illegal.

Cant remember it ever happening with my scoot tho, and I leave that on 24/7.. Just more oddities..

• Like 1

That is one statement I'm definitely with you on LivinLOS => And I also tend to find That theres an assumption that a single headlight = scooter = scooter speeds..

Mind you I have to be the one to be careful, as I'm sticking my neck out going a wee bit faster than the average scooter rider.

Tony,

I think modulators can be a good idea, but just not sure if one would reap havoc with an electrical system that keeps the lights off until the bike's engine turn on?

Edited by Garry

Whenever going through Phukets roadblocks the Thai police often tell me to turn my headlight off.. I actually think some believe it to be illegal.

LMAO - a Thai cop who doesn't know the law?! Or better yet, makes up the law as they go? Who ever heard of such a thing?! :)

• Like 1

LMAO - a Thai cop who doesn't know the law?! Or better yet, makes up the law as they go? Who ever heard of such a thing?! :)

The road blocks are great on the highway in some areas around Chiang Rai. I don't have to stop or slow down at some and just go through the bike slot....if the little bikes can do it, then so do I. The cops don't give me a second look apart from smiling at the thundering beasty :D :D