Electrical Earth In Thai Room?

thaibeachlovers

Had a shock from a wire when the copper became exposed and it has made me a bit freaked ( no earths in the room ) so I'd like to put one of those safety cutouts onto the plug to which most of our appliances are attached. Common at "home", but can't find one here, even at HomePro. I'm referring to the plug in sort, not a "wired in" one.

Anyone know where I can find one? I'm in Pattaya to be specific, but if I had to, could go to Bangkok.

Thanks.

First step would be to get rid on the exposed copper wire - then worry about proper protection:)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a shock from a wire when the copper became exposed and it has made me a bit freaked ( no earths in the room ) so I'd like to put one of those safety cutouts onto the plug to which most of our appliances are attached. Common at "home", but can't find one here, even at HomePro. I'm referring to the plug in sort, not a "wired in" one.

Anyone know where I can find one? I'm in Pattaya to be specific, but if I had to, could go to Bangkok.

Thanks.

First step would be to get rid on the exposed copper wire - then worry about proper protection:)

Rectify the problems with the bare copper wire(s) by terminating in an approved manner.

Install a RCD/RCBO on the switchboard. A plug in RCD will only protect the equipment connected to it. You may be able to get a SPRCD and replace the first socket outlet on the circuit and it will protect all outlets downstream. They may not be available in Thailand.

Thanks.

Rectify the problems with the bare copper wire(s) by terminating in an approved manner.

Install a RCD/RCBO on the switchboard. A plug in RCD will only protect the equipment connected to it. You may be able to get a SPRCD and replace the first socket outlet on the circuit and it will protect all outlets downstream. They may not be available in Thailand.

Of course I fixed the bare wire!!!

Wiring in anything isn't an option.

Perhaps I'll have to bring a plug in one back with me on my next trip. Anyone know if they work without an earth?

Perhaps I'll have to bring a plug in one back with me on my next trip. Anyone know if they work without an earth?

Plug-in RCDs do indeed work without a ground :)

Obviously you'll need plug adaptors and remember that if you're from a 110V country a home bought one will just go bang :(

Plug-in RCDs do indeed work without a ground :)

Obviously you'll need plug adaptors and remember that if you're from a 110V country a home bought one will just go bang :(

Thanks for that, and no, will bring from a 240 volt country.

All RCDs will operate without earthing. That is why they are used to provide protection if the protective earth fails, disconnecting the supply in less than 0.3secs (AS3000).

Edited by electau