Uk State Pension Paid Direct To Thailand

I have a citibank UK account and as it stands I don't get charged by them for taking money out of a Thai ATM, I still get the ludicrous 150 baht charge from the Thai banks (what a wonderful way to encourage tourism!!!!)

However I don't get charged at all for a cash advance over the counter in the bank and the exchange rates seem to be ok ish

I have a citibank UK account and as it stands I don't get charged by them for taking money out of a Thai ATM, I still get the ludicrous 150 baht charge from the Thai banks (what a wonderful way to encourage tourism!!!!)

However I don't get charged at all for a cash advance over the counter in the bank and the exchange rates seem to be ok ish

If I'm not mistaken, Citibank is the bank used by the UK Pension Service to transfer pension payments globally and that's probably why you are getting such a favourable deal.

I'm only 34 so I'm not quite ready to draw my pension just yet, although I wouldn't mind a few extra baht if they want to start early!! =]

It's the only UK account I know of that doesn't charge an ATM fee and it wouldn't surprise me if they start, but it's worth a look.

• 3 months later...

I spoke to the Pensions department last week and they said

1 I can get my pension paid into my bank in Thailand

2 It would be through Citibank UK

3 If I was not happy I could change back

That is fine so far so yesterday I called Citibank 5 times to ask to be put through to the department who deals with there transfers and could give me a link to the forex rates on the internet.

One call put me through to the Department of Works and Pensions who actually pay my pension and are not Citibank at all.

Another put me though to a number which was unattended.

2 other ones went nowhere and the last one the operator hung up on me.

There is no way to email Citibank unless you have an account there.

The contact numbers are worse than useless.

Their complaints hotline number has been changed.

All I really want is a link to their online forex rates.

Can anybody help me with this please?

• 12 years later...
On 8/5/2010 at 3:08 AM, Rinrada said:

FYI only........

Down but NOT out :o

Welcome to Pension-Parity-UK

OUR FIGHT CONTINUES

At the hearing in the European Court of Human Rights in 2009 even the lawyers representing Britain agreed that the cost of rectifying this anomaly would be less than 1% of the annual National Insurance income.

The National Insurance Fund is currently in balance to the tune of over 45 Billion Pounds Sterling.

Rectifying this Frozen Pension injustice need not cost UK economy a penny. :unsure:

FAIR PLAY is a basic tenet of the British nation.

GRANT US FAIR PLAY

Light at the end of the tunnel ?

Peter Bottomley on expat state pension unfairness

YOU can continue to help by sending your e mails to the sitting members in your old constituency....etc....

http://pension-parity-uk.com/

My question is where are the British people? If this was America the public irrespective of age would be out on the streets in protest to support the elderly nut Brits don't care about anyone but themselves.........they will if they happen to move abroad and like some of us depend on the pension

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/4/2010 at 9:44 PM, pontious said:

The EU Court case failed.

The Nationwide Debit Card is not 'free' from November 2010 I think - I dont have one. 2 percent plus £1?

As much as I would like it to change I dont think it will. We all knew the rules when we came here ( or should have )

We could always move back to UK!!!!!

Very angry the point is just about no one knew and it was only coming out and having an Uncle already here.
BTW man of us have no family bck home and they are here ok and ok if you got pots of gold or even one.

Edited by jwest10
changed it
  • Confused 1

I assume this concerns State pensions. I find this refusal to transfer pensions to countries like Thailand an absolute scandal. What business is it of theirs where you choose do do your banking? I'm curious if they also refuse to pay pensions, say to women who settled in countries where women would settle, like Canada or Australia. I'm sure the State (ie the gynocracy) doesn't like pensioners to spend their money on Thai women. 

• Confused 2

36 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If you want your Pension to be frozen, have it pay directly into a Thai bank.

If you want annual increases, have it paid into a UK bank, then transfer via Wise at a good rate.

If you do not have access to a UK address open an account with a UK Mail forwarding Company and then change your banking addresses etc to that address!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2023 at 4:58 PM, KannikaP said:

It's only taken you 13 years to reply to this. Well done. 555

The point if you rea post completely no one knew the State pension would be frozen and well done u also.

Edited by jwest10
edit
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2023 at 9:59 PM, theoldgit said:

This thread is thirteen years old, and was accurate when originally posted.

Which only goes to show the British people dont care a jot about OAP's. If this was another country eg France they would be out in their droves protesting about ill treating th elderly.

I am now reading if you want to drive your car to your work or in some cases go shopping they are charging you for polluting the air.......and the british people just nod as say ok DUH!!!!!!!! Not the country I left in the late 90's

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

This old thread was started over a decade ago by a member who was asking if his UK State Pension could be paid directly to Thailand, and has been answered.

It has nothing to do with pensions being frozen, there have been numerous threads directed at this injustice.

The imposition of Ultra High Emission Zones in certain areas in the UK is also not a topic for debate here, though it’s probably worth saying that far from the British people just nodding to say ok, there have numerous protests and court cases on the issue, l suspect that may have missed the reports in the media.

You might not be aware that these restrictions have also been introduced in parts of mainland China, including Hong Kong, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy etc etc, where there have been similar protests.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-66535086

Edited by roo860
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2010 at 4:59 PM, prodriver said:

As regards to having the pension paid to you in sterling to your bank in Thailand, it appears that this is not an option. It seems it has to be paid in the local currency. (why, I don't know!)

I say this because I was searching google for info regarding this subject and came across a forum for British expats living in Turkey and one of the posts said that they had received a reply from the UK pension authorities informing them that it was not possible to pay the pension in sterling but had to be converted to Turk Lira before being sent.

Anyway, I am in receipt of an annuity which is paid into my LLoydstsb account in the UK and will be transferring most of it to Thailand in the coming years so I might as well have my pension paid into the same account and lump it all together as it's the same charge for a SWIFT transfer regardless of the amount being sent. At least that way I can have it sent in sterling.

The City is now specialized in paying the pensions of some European states including Italy and the compulsory exchange and their earnings.

Big cake to eat.

• Confused 1