35,000 Against Bangkok Airways?

after the very successfull ' Kill the Drill ' Campaign , it does go to show that the people can unite on samui against a cause that they believe in....

there have been so many rant about Bangkok Airways monopoly on the airport and gross over charging of flights...

as an example i just looked at a flight from Phuket to Singapore, was 3700 THB RETURN , samui to singpaore 15080 THB RETURN !!!! same with samui to bangkok , 7 K odd THB RETURN with every other airport / carrier doing it at a 1/3 of the price...

so if every person in Samui rallied against Bangkok Air, do you think it would make a differnence ?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. They get most of their fares from first time travellers or packaged fares ,locals only make up a small minority.We get issued with a useless resident card.

Nope. They get most of their fares from first time travellers or packaged fares ,locals only make up a small minority.We get issued with a useless resident card.

Agree...

By the way, when I was living on Koh Phangan, several years ago, they used to give a discount (20% I think) to local residents... Is it still actuality?

Agree...

By the way, when I was living on Koh Phangan, several years ago, they used to give a discount (20% I think) to local residents... Is it still actuality?

Yes LG, they give a resident card, the discount is available off the dearest normal fare.

this is going the direction i thought it would.....

Where are the Bangkok Airways apologists when they are needed? The "i know i could pay 3700 return to Singapore but i'd much rather pay 15000 baht cos they're soooooo great" crowd. :lol: :lol: :lol:

..and if they hadn't built the airport you'd still be going by ferry!!

More and more residents are now taking the ferry with the crazy price increases. I wonder if they take any notice of the emails.......:lol: :lol: :lol::realangry:

Used to use bangkok air at least 4 times a year,but not anymore.So am going to go by bus,samui direct to pattaya,VIP seat,1235baht one way.............time to read,sleep listen to music and thai crazy films i guess,but no way am i paying their prices,and i will save 5000baht on the return trip,the difference will pay for my accomodation.

More and more residents are now taking the ferry with the crazy price increases. I wonder if they take any notice of the emails.......:lol: :lol: :lol::realangry:

Used to use bangkok air at least 4 times a year,but not anymore.So am going to go by bus,samui direct to pattaya,VIP seat,1235baht one way.............time to read,sleep listen to music and thai crazy films i guess,but no way am i paying their prices,and i will save 5000baht on the return trip,the difference will pay for my accomodation.

This for me is the biggest problem. Because the prices are so ridiculously over the top flying to Samui, people are comparing costs to Phuket, Krabi and Pattaya and seeing that they can pay for accomodation with the saving in the flight cost. What a crazy situation to be in. The almost criminal greed of Bangkok Airways is truely astounding. :(

I hope this gets closed as i'm already starting to feel negative thinking about their despicable rip off fares.

Who was it that suggested we shove all threads about these guys up in the 'sticky' area? I am with them, whoever they are.

Bangkok Airways are not reading this, they will not listen to us, nothing will change, unless we all vote with our feet.

In the meantime, all it does is wind us up. Me especially!:lol:

No he would'nt. There would be a government built airport and we'd all be paying approx 3800 return to bangkok.

As far as I know, the govt. does not build airports... its the Airports Of Thailand (SET symbol AOT) who does it and they are a public limited company.

If the profit is not worth the investment they will not invest.

Where are the Bangkok Airways apologists when they are needed? The "i know i could pay 3700 return to Singapore but i'd much rather pay 15000 baht cos they're soooooo great" crowd. :lol: :lol: :lol:

How come someone is an apologist if they like the service, the schedule,the reliability, the exemplary care for disabled and elderly passengers and a free flight (conveniently forgotten) for every 10 trips, plus the reliable package delivery service.

It's always the same old whine from the same old vocal minority. Gets kind of boring. If you can get enough (35000!) people to voice an objection to the prices you should do so rather than continuously bleating. Who knows? You might get enough interest to form a little Daisychain round the Samui Departure terminal. :whistling:

I happen think that they are too expensive but there again I have a choice and I don't know if Samui is being used as the cash-cow to subsidise their other routes. Anyway, I'm sure that there are enough armchair airline experts here who think they can do better, so we will all be enlightened.

Yes...I put my hand up. I LIKE BKK AIR!! :D

I think it would be good to have this subject pinned rather than the "same old, same old I hate BA" every couple of months!

• Like 1

How come someone is an apologist if they like the service, the schedule,the reliability, the exemplary care for disabled and elderly passengers and a free flight (conveniently forgotten) for every 10 trips, plus the reliable package delivery service.

It's always the same old whine from the same old vocal minority. Gets kind of boring. If you can get enough (35000!) people to voice an objection to the prices you should do so rather than continuously bleating. Who knows? You might get enough interest to form a little Daisychain round the Samui Departure terminal. :whistling:

I happen think that they are too expensive but there again I have a choice and I don't know if Samui is being used as the cash-cow to subsidise their other routes. Anyway, I'm sure that there are enough armchair airline experts here who think they can do better, so we will all be enlightened.

I think it would be good to have this subject pinned rather than the "same old, same old I hate BA" every couple of months!

"Yes...I put my hand up. I LIKE BKK AIR!! :D "

mmmmmm. Sounds like "Shareholder " talk, .:whistling::D

Agree...

20% lowers the incredible high fare only by 700-900 Baht it's still way to expensive, in comparison to similar regional flights, should be more like 60%!

@OP: I would be in!

And if they hadn't built the ferry, we'd be swimming! Building an airport doesn't mean they can behave like criminals and rob travellers.:angry:

Does anyone know the background of this, who the big wigs of BA are, that there is an RTAF Base on Samui, and what the original AP really was.... :whistling: ... how it all has been packaged to a neat little income earner, look the fleet today, the fares, the fares in the humble beginning the fleet then was comprised of 4 Dash8, then add to Samui AP another 2 private ones Sukhothai and Trat ......in 20 years they genuinely made up into the sky... now it's up to you! :rolleyes:

make a guess...incredible story and so very, very TiT, who understand the quantum mechanics of how BA came together understands TiT and why here are so many monopolies controlled by a single family!

Edited by Samuian

"Yes...I put my hand up. I LIKE BKK AIR!! :D "

mmmmmm. Sounds like "Shareholder " talk, .:whistling::D

Oh how I wish!! :thumbsup:

And if they hadn't built the ferry, we'd be swimming! Building an airport doesn't mean they can behave like criminals and rob travellers.:angry:

Does anyone know the background of this, who the big wigs of BA are, that there is an RTAF Base on Samui, and what the original AP really was.... :whistling: ... how it all has been packaged to a neat little income earner, look the fleet today, the fares, the fares in the humble beginning the fleet then was comprised of 4 Dash8, then add to Samui AP another 2 private ones Sukhothai and Trat ......in 20 years they genuinely made up into the sky... now it's up to you! :rolleyes:

make a guess...incredible story and so very, very TiT, who understand the quantum mechanics of how BA came together understands TiT and why here are so many monopolies controlled by a single family!

To answer your questions...

BA is 90% approx owned by Dr. Prasert and family but I suspect you already knew this. As far as making a tenuous connection with the RTAF base there are numerous bases such as this dotted around the Kingdom. It is a military radar base half way up and at the top of a mountain and was here long before an airport, although it does have helipads to serve it.

To be accurate the fleet started with the Shorts 330's (whistling Nissan huts). Arriving here prior to the official opening in one of those was an experience as the runway was very short and rather like landing in someones well kept front garden. The air fares then, as I recall were still pretty steep.

Oh, and the original airport was really a mangrove swamp/lake. Some of it still is, hence all the drainage ditches and ponds. :)

Since everyone complains about bangkok airways bangkok airways should pull a ryanair and do this

1. Change to budget airline

2. Charge for one way ticket 999 Baht then charge for extras like all the budget carriers due

3. Charge for using the toilet: 20 Baht ( most likely to happen in the future )

4. If you check in at the counter at the airport you must pay for that as well: Price for checking in, in person: 50 Baht ( checking in online free

5. If you want a seat in the emergency exit isle pay extra money: 100 Baht

6. 1st carry on hand luggage charge: 200 Baht

7. Put luggage underneath the plane: 500 Baht per luggage

8. Change seats to be minimal as possible, don't input any reading materials, and no magazines

9. Charge for water 50 Baht, soft drinks 80 baht, alcohol 120 Baht, food starting from 400 Baht.

10. Charge for blankets, pillows

11. Quit using the big boeing planes and use the smaller airplanes the AR-72. After all customers only want cheap.

12. No complmentary hand tissues to customers

13. Squeeze every inch of the plane to fill the plane with only economy seats

14. Introduce a fat persons tax. If your too big to fit in one seat you must pay for 2 seats otherwise you don't fly

15. No free wifi as well.

Then make sure to keep coming up with more ways to extract money from the customer

Suits me ,as I never use the above lol

Suits me too. What problem does livinthailandos have with this?

Dunno.....problems though....yeah why no champagne on Blue Ribbon?.....got the private transport......nice big seats.....all thats needed is a big glass of bubbly to leave the peasants wondering why they didn't upgrade for 500 Baht......:violin:

can't even be bothered to reply to this thread. it is obvious bbk airways are a rip off/ i am sure they have there excusses but the customer does not care. they just want to get from A to B as quick and as cheap as possible. I know the cost of running a private airport must be high but then i don't ccare. They should either dump the airport and carry on BBk airways across thailand or cut there prices. maybe try to sell the airport to the govement. then all flight can arrive incl. BBk airways.

there is only one way to stop there business. and it is yellow 1.

There's been a few suggestions for and against the low cost budget model. My comments as follows:

I would imagine the vast mojority of users of regional flights fall into one of 3 groups:

1. Tourists - internation

2. Domestic travel - expats travelling to/from bangkok (be that a samui resident to bkk, or a bkk resident to samui) for personal / social / please purposes

3. Business users - not many to samui (I would imagine)

At one stage or another I have fallen into all those catagories.

1. As an international tourist, there extra couple of thousand baht to (a) fly to samui, and (B) get all the nice little touches, is worth it - it makes your arrival in samui feel special (having gotten off an impersonal international carries such as BA), and it makes your departure more pleaseant too.

2. Domestic travel - seriously guys, I live and work in bangkok - it takes longer to get to work most days than it does to fly to samui. While going to work, I don't need a drink, a toilet, a towel, or anything of the sort...... so for the hour or so it takes to fly to samui, if they could make fares more like 4-5k, like they used to be, then I'll take the saving and they can keep the 4-5k drink and sandwich!

3. As a business user, I don't care how much it costs, the company pays, so I'll take the luxury :)

Having said all that, the Thai airways flight to Phuket is no worse than the bkk airways flight to samui ...... and its further...... so why the premium?

1. As an international tourist, there extra couple of thousand baht to (a) fly to samui, and (B) get all the nice little touches, is worth it - it makes your arrival in samui feel special (having gotten off an impersonal international carries such as BA), and it makes your departure more pleaseant too.

Regarding the 'little touches' aside from using the lounge there is nothing special...even the food now is mediocre. And for international tourists imagine you have already spent £600 on a ticket to Bangkok just maybe you would look at the costs and fly to Phuket or Krabi instead......as many repeat visitors are doing. The increase in cost in the last 2 years is simple thievery.

Monopolies commission?.....ahh refer it to the government.....the biggest monopoly around....:whistling: