If You'Re Listening To Music Now... Whats Playing? 4

Jockstar

I blame Carabao and his poxy pleng cheewit crap of about 10+ years ago.

Sanatana must be turning his head in disbelief.

Don't you know that all falang are meant to adore him, and that wife beating druggie Sek Loso, I never understood it myself. Can't stand that Carabao rubbish, middle class bloke posing as a working class hero playing the same stuff for 30 years.

I do like a bit of phua cheewit though Boawee and Cham cham ram are ok and extremely nice people, but the culture of cheewit I don't like, dressing down, reluctant to accept or wear mali, most of the songs and singers I can't stand. Here's a good one though that got to 40 million views a couple of years ago before Grammy had it pulled when they put up their own youtube site. The other half likes him so been to dozens of his concerts, very good band and the friendliest singer of all.

Your opening two sentences, so true.

Plaeng peua chewit- imo there are and were some good tunes, this one had a lot of meaning back in 1992- Not the same situation today, I hasten to add!

Thai pop rock,back in the early 90s

this one had a lot of meaning back in 1992- Not the same situation today, I hasten to add!

I remember my BIL being into Carabao in a big way back then.

Went to his house about 10 years ago and he had thrown all his Carabao stuff in the bin, accused him of selling out.

He had become part of the "system" he used to protest about.

The mrs wont have him on in the house or in the car, if Carabao comes on she changes channels.

I found this interesting and there is a whole series of them on YT, probably not so interesting if not a fan, Kramer recorded lots of others including led Zeplin, the Stones and the Beatles. I think Jimi's manager had him done in for the insurance money!

• Like 1

Incomparable, totally in a league of his own, after Pete Townsend saw Hendrix play in London he rang up Eric Clapton and suggested they both gave up playing the guitar!

http://youtu.be/iDQAtoGClE8

Its a pity Old Clapped out Eric never took his advice, theres another tossa who has contributed nothing to music since the demise of D&TD, never the same since he switched from a Gibson to a Strat.

Music from another planet, Space Rock before Floyd and Hawkwind had ever heard of it.

James Marshall we salute you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1QMnjlLiFk

• Like 1

Lots of things to talk about on this thread at the moment, genres of rock music and Thai musical styles. lots of great input, the internet at its best. It will take time to compare notes!

I don't know if it's true or no,t but it should be, the origin of the name 'Fat Mattress" for Noel Redding's band is supposed to lie with Hendrix, who upon hearing of Noel's own band, remarked it should be called Fat Mattress due to the tightness of the founder, stashing his funds under the bed! Sadly in reality, Noel never got his due rewards.

Crossing the Massif Central in France overnight with 3 student friends in our minivan in the summer, winding, climbing roads with jaw dropping views,this track just seemed so appropriate.as the day broke

• Like 1

You can still stay in the hotel where he passed on, the Samarkand is still going and not expensive, have to book for a week though. more of a serviced apartment than a hotel. Pity he never kept with that kathy Etchingham girl, he needed somebody with her head screwed on Monika Dannerman who was with him when he died had a screw loose and told a pack of lies about the circumstances of his death.

You can still stay in the hotel where he passed on, the Samarkand is still going and not expensive, have to book for a week though. more of a serviced apartment than a hotel. Pity he never kept with that kathy Etchingham girl, he needed somebody with her head screwed on Monika Dannerman who was with him when he died had a screw loose and told a pack of lies about the circumstances of his death.

Mike Jeffries and Chas Chandler come in for a mauling here from Kevin Ayers. Jimi was worth more dead than alive, was he really murdered?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6kslKx5Zdo

• Like 1

I was unfortunate enough to be exiled to the cold hills and dales of Yorkshire as a lad but at the time I became friends with the boy who would later become the force behind The Christians,Henry Priestman. A nice guy from a Quaker family, I remember him earnestly reading 'Disc And Echo' on our freezing beds in the dormitory in the mid 60s. It was tough at times, beaten with snooker cues,semi frozen in classrooms, legs crossed 3 times in shorts in order to avoid frostbite, but we also had a lot of fun, log cabins, tree dens, dens underground, adventure.

He composed some good songs later on

I reckon Jimi was murdered by Mike Jeffries for the insurance and Jimi was taking him to court for fraud and his contract was almost up, Jeffries had the motive alright. The Doc who did the autopsy (later struck off and went to Oz) claimed there was almost no booze in Jimi's blood but that his lungs were full of red wine, he had drowned in it, so was probably forced down his throat. That nutter Danneramn claimed she was there when the ambulance turned up and that he was still alive and went with him to the hospital. The ambulance drivers said there was nobody there and nobody went to the hospital with them and that he looked already dead. She phoned the ambulance and cleared off, she killed herself in the 90's after losing a law suite to Kathy Etchingham.

My mate saw him the day before he died in Kensington market looking at clothes, sadly I never saw him play.

worth a look

Edited by jacky54

BN, in your travels did you ever come across this lot?

Top "pub rock" sound.

Brings back memories of Dingwalls, The Town & County Club, or the dive that is the Brixton Academy.

rgs, I always thought pub rock bands fell into 2 categories, bands that did cover versions of established bands, some of which were/are very good, and bands that did their own stuff which never quite broke through to the first division. Was it you who mentioned Bill Nelson a week or 2 ago? Saw him near Hull back in 72, accomplished talented guitarist, creative songs but not cut out for popular appeal.

Is there a place in Bangkok that plays music like this? If not, there should be, especially as it's advertising the benefits of milk.

One of the greatest and unusual of all Thai singers Yew Pem Peyom. Chinese music is popular in Thailand of course with the people of Chinese heritage and Yew did a lot of covers of Theresa Teng songs in the 80's and 90's. She retired from full time singing in 1996. I rang her up on 2003 and she was friendly but did not see her until 2011 as she rarely sings now. Although she gave us her email and phone number she never responded to any request for concert news. I really do have all her albums, great but a bit odd! She sang in Thai, Cantonese and English and is about the only Thai singer I ever met who was fluent in English. Great voice but never did much original material. One of her tapes was the first Thai one I ever bought in 1994, she's got a lot to answer for!

Here she is singing one of Theresa's most famous songs but in English

Edited by jacky54