If You'Re Listening To Music Now... Whats Playing? 4

Jockstar

There were some interesting remarks on the blues thread today where tutsi said the guitar was the principal instrument of the blues,.I silently agreed with him, you can't bend notes on the piano and there's so much you can do on slide guitar. Zen pointed out the harmonica, piano, banjo,mandolin have all played major roles in the blues too- undeniable, thinking about it all the instruments add their own part in their own way.

The harmonica,what an instrument, featuring prominently not only in blues but also folk music and Irish jigs.What other styles do we hear it in?

• Like 1

For myself Jackie I don't think anyone will ever match Pumpuang, a voice that effortlessly oozed all the emotions from sadness to teenage joy, and not surprising being forced to leave school at the end of the second year of junior school to cut sugar cane, how old was she? 8 or 9.

I'll never forget being at a concert by Sunaree in 1993 at Wat Inn near Bangalampoo, someone in the crowd shouted out for a Pumpuang song, she had died the previous year,.Sunaree sang ' The world of Peung' ,Pumpuang's nickname, unaccompanied.There was scarcely a dry eye in the house. The power of a voice.

For myself Jackie I don't think anyone will ever match Pumpuang, a voice that effortlessly oozed all the emotions from sadness to teenage joy, and not surprising being forced to leave school at the end of the second year of junior school to cut sugar cane, how old was she? 8 or 9.

I'll never forget being at a concert by Sunaree in 1993 at Wat Inn near Bangalampoo, someone in the crowd shouted out for a Pumpuang song, she had died the previous year,.Sunaree sang ' The world of Peung' ,Pumpuang's nickname, unaccompanied.There was scarcely a dry eye in the house. The power of a voice.

Well I never saw Pumpuang live but I have seen all the others, some over 100 times. Last time I saw Su she told the crowd I knew more about luktung than most Thais, not that that's difficult. smile.png In 2010 we saw Sunaree,Tai Orathai, Lew Adjareya, Earn the Star, Mangpor, Fon, Takkeadan Cholada and Cathaleya at the Thai cultural centre all singing Pumpuang songs. The mrs agreed (a rarity) that Cathaleya was the best singer. They would not let Pumpuangs son appear for some reason, incredible concert.

I think you need to hear the great singers live as recordings don't really do them justice, not in Cathaleya's case anyway, If I had heard Pumpuang live I might think differently, but I'll stick with my choice. I met Pumpuangs husband Kraisorn a couple of years ago, did not seem like a bad bloke at all and nothing like the ogre some have made him out to be. Now he's reconciled with nong Phet who is still a DJ at fm 95. That seems to have been surpassed by fm 90 luktung rak Thai, very good station that. Three of Pumpuangs sisters sing, or did and they are not bad, but oddly never very popular. Nong phet did one album of his mums songs for grammy a few years ago, he holds concerts every June in Bkk in memory of his mum, but might go with his dad at Wat Trapkadan this year again.

Edited by jacky54

Jacky, I gave up going to live concerts years ago, got bored of the incessant advertising, stopping between songs for the promoters to sell their products, and the comedy which was beyond me,but what really did it was seeing Jintala perform at Mor Chit, fighting erupted between the Issan youth and her voice was simply too hoarse from too many concerts to sing.

Sunaree can't hit the high notes so much now with advancing age but at least she seems to have a settled career as one of the judges on the popular luktung talent show on TV. I remember a few years when she was facing court action for spending the advance on an album she never madeม.now, as you say, she has a Finnish toy boy, must be about the same age as her son!

What an alluring voice she has!

Yeah that's what I like about Cat, her voice is not going off at all, saw her a couple of weeks back, stunning. You will be happy to know ads are rare now at most concerts and even comics are not as often seen as they were smile.png Su has two sons, grown up now, she had a rough life romantically so deserves a bit of happiness. Er yeah Jin seen her 127 times, varies between brilliant and over work as you say.