Pattaya High Speed Internet, True Or Other Isp

naidraw66

I will soon be moving home from Bangkok to Jomtien. I need a reliable high speed internet connection with good international bandwidth for downloading & VOIP. Here in Bangkok I use True, and I have no real problems with their high speed internet service. However can anybody tell me how True's high speed internet is performing around the Jomtien area. I am also open to any suggestions of good service by any other provider.

Thank you in advance

IW

True's high speed (8 Mbps) service isn't yet available in Jomtien. I was told that it will be here soon, as in 'this year', or maybe next, who knows? The best service will depend on what is available where you end up living. In some places it can be quite restrictive, especially in condos. If you can get it, 3bb sounds like the best bet at the moment. Sophon also do internet over their cable TV connections, so if you can get Sophon that might be an option. They also seem to restrict what is available in Jomtien to the overpriced and slower packages. I live close to the beach on Thappraya Road, so it's not exactly out in the sticks, but internet-wise it sometimes feels that way.

Myself and a couple of friends in Jomtien have had CAT HiNet for over 5 years. Advertised at 2 Mpbs & 1 Mbps, it averages around 1.7 & .4 for international, with occasional 2.2 on download.

Very little downtime, service personnel are very responsive and it's more than adequate for VOIP, Torrent, etc. Expensive by competitive standards -- currently at at 1820 Baht/month, with a 13th month free on a 1 year contract. They've reduced the price every year - starting at over 3000 Baht/month. It's an Internet only dedicated ADSL line to their DSLAM, with no telephone service.

Given the varying reports I've heard about TTT, TOT, TRUE, etc., I would recommend it, but others may have a different opinion. If you need a contact at CAT who can provide further detail, send me a PM.

Edited by SurfRider

True's high speed (8 Mbps) service isn't yet available in Jomtien. I was told that it will be here soon, as in 'this year', or maybe next, who knows? The best service will depend on what is available where you end up living. In some places it can be quite restrictive, especially in condos. If you can get it, 3bb sounds like the best bet at the moment. Sophon also do internet over their cable TV connections, so if you can get Sophon that might be an option. They also seem to restrict what is available in Jomtien to the overpriced and slower packages. I live close to the beach on Thappraya Road, so it's not exactly out in the sticks, but internet-wise it sometimes feels that way.

Thanks for both replies

Guderian In regards to True who did you speak to regarding service in Jomtien, I would like to try them myself as I am already a customer! Like most things it probably wont come to anything but its worth a try!

SurfRider That is a bit more expensive than I had planned on spending, at least for a 2mb connection. But thanks for the info I will certainly PM you If I decide to go down that road!

Thanks

Thanks for both replies

Guderian In regards to True who did you speak to regarding service in Jomtien, I would like to try them myself as I am already a customer! Like most things it probably wont come to anything but its worth a try!

SurfRider That is a bit more expensive than I had planned on spending, at least for a 2mb connection. But thanks for the info I will certainly PM you If I decide to go down that road!

Thanks

Anymore replies please, must be more than two people who use the internet in Jomtien . . . . .

Edited by ianwrd4

In following the various threads and comments about broadband in Pattaya/Jomtien, I've seen quite a few negative comments about TTT, TOT, and TRUE - but can't recall the same about CAT-- which is more expensive, but it might be the old adage that "you get what you pay for" . . . :)

Here's another recent thread that may provide some additional information:

http://www.thaivisa....09#entry3672909

Thanks for both replies

Thanks

I was in the Carrefour area a few months back and saw that there's a True office near the junction of Klang and 3rd. It turned out to be a True Visions office, not a True internet place. Anyway, I asked the lady in charge and she told me that the 8 Mbps service would be available in Jomtien around August. To find out more she said to call the True info line number in Bangkok. I did, but it's an automated system which is busy and, when you do get through, it wants your 12 digit subscriber number and other nonsense (I don't subscribe to True Visions). This all took ages so I just gave up. I think there's a True internet office somewhere in North Pattaya, so if you could find it they might have more information. I haven't pursued it because I am thinking about moving and don't want to sign a new contract just yet.

Re. CAT, I've heard that they are relatively expensive and can be good, but also that the quality of their service depends on your location and how new the local infrastructure is. If they've recently laid new cable to the area you're looking at, it should be good. If it's 20 year old copper wires, don't expect too much. It's worth checking up on before committing yourself to anything.

Edited by Guderian

Anymore replies please, must be more than two people who use the internet in Jomtien . . . . .

Well, you are doing better than I am, I asked the same question about True (albeit the Naklua area) and got no useful information. Mind you I was stupid enough to post it on the IT part of the forum.

I'm using 3B, triple T or what ever you want to call it in Naklua, 2mbs for approx 1100 THB a month.Certainly nothing to write home about. Last 2 times it has been down, a quick call to the 'i dont care line'has resulted in the service resuming almost instantly, it's as if they turn you off on purpose.

I too would be interested in any reports about true as I'm looking for better value myself. failing that, anybody got any current reports about BTV?

"depends on your location and how new the local infrastructure is"

It's true that older copper lines can decrease performance, but there's also another issue with DSL -- how far you are away from the DSLAM that communicates with your modem.

The longer the wire between DSLAM and subscriber, the slower the maximum possible data rate. The following is a rough guide to the relation between wire distance and maximum data rate.

* 25 Mbit/s at 1,000 feet (~300 m)

* 24 Mbit/s at 2,000 feet (~600 m)

* 23 Mbit/s at 3,000 feet (~900 m)

* 22 Mbit/s at 4,000 feet (~1.2 km)

* 21 Mbit/s at 5,000 feet (~1.5 km or ~.95 miles)

* 19 Mbit/s at 6,000 feet (~1.8 km or ~1.14 miles)

* 16 Mbit/s at 7,000 feet (~2.1 km or ~1.33 miles)

* 1.5 Mbit/s at 15,000 feet (4.5 km or ~2.8 miles)

* 800 kbit/s at 17,000 feet (~5.2 km or ~3.2 miles)

http://en.wikipedia....ess_Multiplexer