Have You Watched The Beautiful People Comedy Series

Jingthing

DIRE WARNING -- If it upsets you that sometimes gay characters in the media are depicted as

EFFEMINATE

FLAMBOYANT

ENJOYING SHOW TUNES

TRYING OUT FOR SCHOOL DRAMATIC PRODUCTIONS

"ARTISTIC" TEMPERAMENT

AS BOYS, CALLING THEIR BEST FRIEND "GIRLFRIEND"

BEING BULLIED BY BUTCH BOYS

DESTINED TO GROW UP TO BE BARNEYS NEW YORK DISPLAY WINDOW DESIGNERS (OMG)

for the sake of your fragile mental health and "straight acting/straight looking/straight smelling" self image, read and look no further!!!!

Anyway, for the more balanced, if you have already caught the very funny two season BBC Beautiful People comedy/drama you likely agree it was worth the watch.

The second season recently ended on Logo, US gay tv cable channel, but of course there are other ways (thebox) ...

Just wanted to post because I recently watched both seasons (the shows are only a half hour and there aren't many of them) and enjoyed it very much. Sadly, this is probably the end of the show, but it did end with a bang (and a gash ...).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beautiful_People_%28UK_TV_series%29

post-37101-047436200 1283045305_thumb.jp

Edited by Jingthing

DIRE WARNING -- If it upsets you that sometimes gay characters in the media are depicted as

EFFEMINATE

FLAMBOYANT

ENJOYING SHOW TUNES

TRYING OUT FOR SCHOOL DRAMATIC PRODUCTIONS

"ARTISTIC" TEMPERAMENT

AS BOYS, CALLING THEIR BEST FRIEND "GIRLFRIEND"

BEING BULLIED BY BUTCH BOYS

DESTINED TO GROW UP TO BE BARNEYS NEW YORK DISPLAY WINDOW DESIGNERS (

Opened a whole new topic just to grind an old axe, there, JT? laugh.gif

Yes, an annoying comedy series which is nothing but "in-your-face" gay camp, thus reinforcing the hetero world's stereotypes of gay men. Something we could do without.

Edited by Fookhaht

Its intended to be an entertainment product, not a political propaganda product. That said, it is ultimately a very moving story about coming out in a particular time and place, and the great importance of having a family that gives unconditional love. Those without that really can suffer.

In my view, the really great thing about gays in the entertainment media these days is that ALL KINDS of gay characters are depicted, which of course, in totality much better reflects the actual reality. Not only talking about femme/butch, etc. but also gay villains, gay heroes, and gay Joe Milquetoasts as well. If entertainment producers do not feel free to sometimes depict gays in what many gays feel are embarrassing/unflattering ways, then the so called freedom many of us have fought for all our lives isn't really freedom, now is it?

Edited by Jingthing

,,,as if "entertainment products" don't have agendas. laugh.gif

Wake up and smell the aroma of the movie/TV industry's social and political agendas, and you'll know you've awakened to the real world.

As an example, the Hollywood TV & film industries continue to put out movies saturated with political and social agendas that defy the marketing data of what types of movies really make top box office. Their agenda continually trumps audience appeal, money-making-be-damned. There are very few "purely entertainment" products out there in the mainstream media, especially when they deal with controversial life-styles.

Edited by Fookhaht

Thank you Thank you,,,,THANK YOU,,,,after 4 years of Banal american rubbish comedy and cookery programs on UBC,,,i finally get to laugh eat some great British humour,,,,theOP has really made my week!!! Very similar to the wonderful film " A beautiful thing" again Thankyou laugh.gif X 10,000,000,000,000

• Like 1

The actor who plays the adult version of Simon Doonan (a guy called Samuel Barnett) was the gay boy in Alan Bennet's 'The History Boys'. One of his more memorable lines was:

"I'm a Jew... I'm small... I'm homosexual... and I live in Sheffield. - I'm <deleted>!" :lol:

Jing - it's worth getting hold of 'The History Boys' if you've not seen it.

The actor who plays the adult version of Simon Doonan (a guy called Samuel Barnett) was the gay boy in Alan Bennet's 'The History Boys'. One of his more memorable lines was:

"I'm a Jew... I'm small... I'm homosexual... and I live in Sheffield. - I'm fuc_ked!" :lol:

Jing - it's worth getting hold of 'The History Boys' if you've not seen it.

this series was hilarious, way funnier than anything coming from the States e.g. Will & Grace. OK the boys are very "gay", but that is how a lot of guys that age are. It is their way of saying I am what I am, bully me if you want, but I am here to stay. For the life of me I could not see any stereo typing in this comedy, just plain natural humor and quiet meaningful at that

Yes I enjoyed the History Boys film which was very similar to the play.

Anyway, as far as the Beautiful People gay boys being stereotypical, that's a can of worms here with some people, so I don't really wish to go there too deeply. I certainly never acted like those characters (or felt like I wanted to act that way) and I still got bullied when I was their age (doesn't take much to be perceived as "different"). Consider it another way, how would you expect a man who grows up to be a window display designer at Barneys New York to be like as a boy? The show works for me on that one.

Edited by Jingthing