Baht Bus To Jomtien

alexcq

The roadworks in the past week or two have suddenly caused the Baht Bus journey to Jomtien to become a real pain.

Before, I'd usually walk down second road a little way to avoid being jammed into one of the sardine trucks. I could usually flag down a half-empty one that was already on its way.

Now I'm confused about the route and where best to catch one. Can anyone offer some tips? And how long before we can expect things to return to 'normal'?

I trudge up to the flyover, cross the road beneath it, and wait for one at the corner. You get the advantage of ones coming from Walking Street and past the go kart track, turning right to Jomtien, and ones coming from the other side of Third Road, turning left to Jomtien.

I talked to one of the drivers a couple of days ago. He said that they are anticipating all the road construction disruption to be finished by Nov. 15. For the time being, if you want to board one that has not left the departure point already full, try standing anywhere south of the flyover.

I talked to one of the drivers a couple of days ago. He said that they are anticipating all the road construction disruption to be finished by Nov. 15. For the time being, if you want to board one that has not left the departure point already full, try standing anywhere south of the flyover.

2011 or 2012?

Pattaya city road contractors are not renowned for their dedication to completing works, especially when they run out of money.

2011 or 2012?

Pattaya city road contractors are not renowned for their dedication to completing works, especially when they run out of money.

in all fairness they are making good progress.

So the sardine tin mafia outside the school are still in business, but what happened to all the Baht Buses that used to do the Jomtien-Second Road-Beach Road circuit? Are they just going around Second & Beach in circles now, or do they head up South Pattaya Road and then hop over to Third Road to get out to Jomtien? In other words, can you catch a Jomtien-bound Baht Bus from South Pattaya Road now, say just opposite the school?

Four times since the road work started, I was able to catch one south-bound on 3rd Rd., just south of Pattaya Tai -- not a normal run as far as I know. Tried the same thing up around Pattaya Klang without any luck. Every BB coming by there wanted from 100 to 250 Baht.

I caught the east-bound baht-bus on Pattaya-Tai ( the one that sits across from the school near 2nd Rd. and goes east to 3rd Rd. and Sukumvit ) -- Many people tried to board asking "Jomtien?" -- The driver sent them walking down 2nd Rd. past the road-work, where the sardine-bus is waiting to fill up and go to Jomtien. I walked past there once and it looked like it was taking a VERY long time to fill-up, since nobody seems to know it's there.

If they were smart..:rolleyes:, they'd have one sitting across from the school on Pattaya Tai headed east to 3rd Rd., with a big sign "JOMTIEN" -- Based on all the potential Jomtien riders who tried to board the regular BB that sits there, they would fill up a Jomtien BB very quickly. Obviously, the BB mafia isn't smart enough to figure that out . . . TiT

So the sardine tin mafia outside the school are still in business, but what happened to all the Baht Buses that used to do the Jomtien-Second Road-Beach Road circuit? Are they just going around Second & Beach in circles now, or do they head up South Pattaya Road and then hop over to Third Road to get out to Jomtien? In other words, can you catch a Jomtien-bound Baht Bus from South Pattaya Road now, say just opposite the school?

Half of them are going up Soi 17/18 (same street till city hall stuck wrong street sign) behind the school and turning right on 3rd road then back on track at the flyover.

They are parked near their usual place. They are now parked just north of the intersection of Thapraya Road and the soi that goes into the Indian temple (at the southwest corner of the School #8 school grounds.)

As that portion of Thapraya Rd. is currently one-way northbound, the songthaews are parked on the east side of Thepraya, facing northwards. Because of traffic congestion along there, only the one currently boarding passengers is parked on Thapraya, the others are parked in the soi referred to above.

Today the sardine run to Jomtien was back to semi-normal. Baht-Bus waits near it's normal packing point near the corner of 2nd Rd. and Pattaya-Tai, but pointing north. It heads east on Pattaya-Tai and traverses a number of bumpy back alleys, then comes out on 3rd Rd. near the fly-over-- then heads south to Jomtien. Anyone destined for anywhere between Pattaya-Tai and the fly-over ( VC Hotel, Marine Plaza Hotel, etc. ) is out of luck on this run.

Today the sardine run to Jomtien was back to semi-normal. Baht-Bus waits near it's normal packing point near the corner of 2nd Rd. and Pattaya-Tai, but pointing north. It heads east on Pattaya-Tai and traverses a number of bumpy back alleys, then comes out on 3rd Rd. near the fly-over-- then heads south to Jomtien. Anyone destined for anywhere between Pattaya-Tai and the fly-over ( VC Hotel, Marine Plaza Hotel, etc. ) is out of luck on this run.

Yes its been that way for some days now.

I trudge up to the flyover, cross the road beneath it, and wait for one at the corner. You get the advantage of ones coming from Walking Street and past the go kart track, turning right to Jomtien, and ones coming from the other side of Third Road, turning left to Jomtien.

Thanks! Trudge is the perfect word for it!

It's a choice between the sardine can and the trudge now. I hope it all gets sorted out by Nov 15 or before.

I've found myself standing on the back of a baht bus now twice in the past few days. Very dangerous position for us Falang, being a few inches taller than the thais, it would be easy to bang one's head on the bar in the event of a sudden stop or sharp bump. Losing consciousness in that position could cause a nasty spill.

2011 or 2012?

These particular roadworks are proceeding at lightening speed. They're laying concrete instead of asphalt and they're managing to complete whole sections of road in a few days. Very impressive for here.