Safe To Talk On These Forums

seonai

I highly doubt the Thai government would worry too much about what is said over a forum and I also highly doubt there is anything they can do about it

They most certainly can do something about it... they can block the site in Thailand.

totster :o

I would hate to disagree ...If the Thai gov. could do this why do we have the problem of islamic extremist websites which encourage and endorse terrorism, obviously these cannot be shut down right?

Edited by Davey

The website can be blocked to prevent people IN the country from seeing it, but if the servers are outside the country - in other words the site is hosted physically on machines outside Thailand, then others outside of the country could still see it.

In Saudi Arabia and even in the UAE they routinely block sites that they don't like, so it is most certainly something that can easily be done within a country.

The internet connections for a country pass through servers that ultimately connect to the international circuits that comprise the internet backbone, so filtering can be put in place at that point.

A year or two back, one of my friends did some profiling of the visitors of this forum. A bunch of IPs that belonged to various Thai government organizations (including police, air force etc) were regular visitors. Won't tell you what we did for the profiling, but "they" could of course do the same thing to trace both "readers" and posters of this forum. Was really simple actually....

I highly doubt the Thai government would worry too much about what is said over a forum and I also highly doubt there is anything they can do about it

They most certainly can do something about it... they can block the site in Thailand.

I would hate to disagree ...If the Thai gov. could do this why do we have the problem of islamic extremist websites which encourage and endorse terrorism, obviously these cannot be shut down right?

Thy cannot shut the sites down, but they can block the sites from being viewed within Thailand.

For a site such as this one it would be disasterous.....

That was my point

totster :D

A year or two back, one of my friends did some profiling of the visitors of this forum. A bunch of IPs that belonged to various Thai government organizations (including police, air force etc) were regular visitors. Won't tell you what we did for the profiling, but "they" could of course do the same thing to trace both "readers" and posters of this forum. Was really simple actually....

No offense LL but fer cryin out loud.... :o

Profile away, I could really care less :D

I said it before and I'll say it again people-

"It's not you, it's the paranoid people...they're after you"

yeah, that's it...the paranoid ppl... :D

C'mon, get a grip already everyone :D

Edited by baht&sold

Thy cannot shut the sites down, but they can block the sites from being viewed within Thailand.

That was my point

So, the people who don't live in Thailand can say what ever we want?

That was my point

ok, no problem ...was just a bit curious that's all, wasn't aware anything like that was possible

Although, I still don't think the gov. would take anything on this forum too seriously if they were to come across it

Edited by Davey

So, the people who don't live in Thailand can say what ever we want?

I can't speak for the admin and mods of this board, but I'm a mod on a different board. You can say what you want as long as it doesn't violate the TOS, and meets with what the mods and admin feel is within reason. In other words, the people who run this board decide what can and can't be posted. It only takes a bit of common sense to stay within the bounds of reason.

Edited by AmeriThai

I really doubt the Thai Government is inclined to censor TV posts as tame as they generally are.

Now, there's a building down on Wireless Road who's occupants I'm sure look in from time to time though... :o

I agree. There might be some grumbles here from time to time, but it's nothing out of the ordinary. I doubt the "building down on Wireless Road" gives a rip about it either. But I'm sure there are all kinds of people that peek in here from time to time.

That "building" must be one of the fancy hotels there, eh? :D