American Going To Europe

OK, so if it's better to get Euros here. How do I go about getting them?

And you're sure it's not better to wait till I get to Europe and use an ATM machine with my debit card?

The exchange shops in tourist areas should have quite a lot

You get a better rate there for your bath then you would with your card because they charge you a extra percentage

OK, so if it's better to get Euros here. How do I go about getting them?

And you're sure it's not better to wait till I get to Europe and use an ATM machine with my debit card?

Assuming you are using a US debit card, Europe would probably be better, on the basis that you only have 1 conversion (USD to Euro). However, I cannot be sure about this.

Also do some research. Not all countries in Europe use the Euro. I once had to meet an American in Poland, and he had converted all his money into the local currency, thinking it had to be Euro. Luckily for him, he needed an airline ticket, so I bought it in Euro and exchanged his Zloties in return. Other countries, such as England, Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and some others do not use the Euro.

You should always exchange into Baht and out of Baht in Thailand. As this is not a widely traded currency, the rates offshore are horrendous

It really depends how much you want. Any large Bangkok Bank FX booth would have several thousand Euros. If you need more, please just come to the Head Office. If it is a very large amount (over 20,000 USD equivalent I think) you will need to tell them where you go the THB from. This is just anti money laundering, which helps to control terrorist financing. So as an American I am sure you will support this.

To really be sure, if it is a large amount, please call our HO in advance to "reserve" the banknotes. You can also PM me in advance and we can make such arrangements.

You should always exchange into Baht and out of Baht in Thailand. As this is not a widely traded currency, the rates offshore are horrendous

It really depends how much you want. Any large Bangkok Bank FX booth would have several thousand Euros. If you need more, please just come to the Head Office. If it is a very large amount (over 20,000 USD equivalent I think) you will need to tell them where you go the THB from. This is just anti money laundering, which helps to control terrorist financing. So as an American I am sure you will support this.

To really be sure, if it is a large amount, please call our HO in advance to "reserve" the banknotes. You can also PM me in advance and we can make such arrangements.

I sure the hell hope I don't need 20,000 USD (or even close) for just a 2 week European trip! I will go to my bank here and get the Euros. Will I be able to withdrawal more Euros from my Thai bank while in Europe though an ATM?

Yes, it will work in some ATMs in Europe. The compatibility system is often marked on the card, and on the ATM.

Incidentally, you appear to have 2 threads operating with exactly the same title. That's a neat trick, but it creates a lot of confusion.

I sure the hell hope I don't need 20,000 USD (or even close) for just a 2 week European trip! I will go to my bank here and get the Euros. Will I be able to withdrawal more Euros from my Thai bank while in Europe though an ATM?

Now it is a little more clear how long you will be there I can give a more relevant answer.

I get to Europe on business a few times a year and once or twice to see family

I normally pick up the currency I need in Bangkok to last me at least half of the trip. I pay most large bills on a BBL credit card as it is much more convenient and there is more protection. And I use my BBL ATM card to withdraw cash, usually from NATIONWIDE when I am in the UK (I realise the UK is not in the Euro). There are similar ATMs which do not charge in continental Europe but they are harder to find.

So my rule is to use cash for the small things when in the Euro zone and use my BBL Credit Card for the large things.

Be warned, I was once given a 500 Euro note in BKK when leaving on business. Nobody would accept it except a bank. And even then with much complaining and checking of the banknote.

Edited by ianguygil

Yes, it will work in some ATMs in Europe. The compatibility system is often marked on the card, and on the ATM.

Incidentally, you appear to have 2 threads operating with exactly the same title. That's a neat trick, but it creates a lot of confusion.

This thread was created to be seen by more people and thus get greater (better?) feedback. Once people wrote on here that I should exchange while here in Thailand, I then started a thread about how and where to exchange in Chiang Mai. It was about targeting specific people for specific answers, and it worked well. 2 or 3% difference on a 100,000 baht exchange is (to me) big money and I hate to give away money if I don't have to. I've been saving for this trip a long time and do not want to lose a single baht/Euro that I don't have to. I'm just very happy about the exchange rate as this trip will be about 25% cheaper than if I took it a year ago!

Now it is a little more clear how long you will be there I can give a more relevant answer.

I normally pick up the currency I need in Bangkok to last me at least half of the trip. I pay most large bills on a BBL credit card as it is much more convenient and there is more protection. And I use my BBL ATM card to withdraw cash, usually from NATIONWIDE when I am in the UK (I realise the UK is not in the Euro). There are similar ATMs which do not charge in continental Europe but they are harder to find.

So my rule is to use cash for the small things when in the Euro zone and use my BBL Credit Card for the large things.

Be warned, I was once given a 500 Euro note in BKK when leaving on business. Nobody would accept it except a bank. And even then with much complaining and checking of the banknote.

Great info. Thanks.

What can I look for on the Euro (Austria mainly) ATM to see if it charges? I have no credit card, will have to be debit cards with the Visa logo. They say they are supposed to work just like a Visa credit card but some place and a lot of websites wont accept them.

Great info. Thanks.

What can I look for on the Euro (Austria mainly) ATM to see if it charges? I have no credit card, will have to be debit cards with the Visa logo. They say they are supposed to work just like a Visa credit card but some place and a lot of websites wont accept them.

Please use this link to locate ATMs around the world on the VISA network

http://visa.via.info...locator/global/

Edited by ianguygil

I would not be too confident to be able to withdraw cash with a Thai Visa-debit-Card, even if your bank or the VISA-website says so.

For some reason, European banks are EXTREMELY careful when it comes to "plastic" from Asia.

I would recommend you to bring quite a lot of Euro, which of course you have already bought in Thailand, because I am sure you do not like to change BAHT in Europe at 40% loss

I would not be too confident to be able to withdraw cash with a Thai Visa-debit-Card, even if your bank or the VISA-website says so.

For some reason, European banks are EXTREMELY careful when it comes to "plastic" from Asia.

I would recommend you to bring quite a lot of Euro, which of course you have already bought in Thailand, because I am sure you do not like to change BAHT in Europe at 40% loss

As I said I travel a lot and I used by BBL card in multiple European countries last year, and in the US, and in Japan at Citi, and in China, Singapore, Malaysia, New Zealand and a few other countries. No problem.

• 2 weeks later...

**BUMP**

Can any forex expert out there tell me what to do? Please only refer to the post above this one (Post #19).

THX

Change your THB to EUR. Then change EUR to the Koruna as much as you need. Almost definitely they will accept the EUR there anyway. It is such a small currency.

Very unlikely you will get many banks here offering a direct THB to Koruna rate.

I know this is 2 conversions. But it is much better in terms of your time and the effective rate you will get.

Yes, change all your funds into EUROS here in Thailand.

In Austria you'll get a better rate for the Kronua paying with EUROS.

In bigger cities and tourist places in the Czech Republic they also accept EUROS so depending of where you go you may only need a small supply of Kronua.

I ndon't think you would be able to get KORUNA in Thailand anywhere. even in Europe, it's a very unusual currency and changing from/into Koruna will always involve a big big loss (20-40% me thinks).

so take your EURO and change into KORUNA once you arrive in the Czech republic.

Oh, and get RID of any KORUNA before leaving Czech republic, as they are useless anywhere else. ( this is like trying to change KIP or KYAT in Asia...... ho ho ho ^^ ).

Oh, don't forget to bring MOON BOOTS, as most of Central Europe is covered in snow at least 50 cm high ;-)

Edited by siam2007