Pattaya Jetskis

sharecropper

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Victims report

I am embarrassed to say I was a victim of this scam. My and my friend rented two jet skis in Pattaya and did NOT have any accident. Upon return they demanded 80,000 Thai baht for a few scrapes we didn't make. We didn't have the money and 7 or 8 boys started beating us. We both had to go to the hospital for injuries. Later we told the police who said there was nothing they could do and we should have just paid them.

I WILL NEVER COME TO THAILAND AGAIN and have been telling everyone I know to do the same.

Wait a second. Is this for real? I know it's very bad, but reading that it sounds like someone violently assaulted or even murdered by these thugs can't even get the perps arrested for VIOLENCE? Not paying a scam is justification for violent assault? Really? If the perps could finger the perps, the police would refuse to arrest?

Another Victims report

I am embarrassed to say I was a victim of this scam. My and my friend rented two jet skis in Pattaya and did NOT have any accident. Upon return they demanded 80,000 Thai baht for a few scrapes we didn't make. We didn't have the money and 7 or 8 boys started beating us. We both had to go to the hospital for injuries. Later we told the police who said there was nothing they could do and we should have just paid them.

I WILL NEVER COME TO THAILAND AGAIN and have been telling everyone I know to do the same.

http://www.facebook....179133642128599

Wait a second. Is this for real? I know it's very bad, but reading that it sounds like someone violently assaulted or even murdered by these thugs can't even get the perps arrested for VIOLENCE? Not paying a scam is justification for violent assault? Really? If the perps could finger the perps, the police would refuse to arrest?

Come on Jing, does that surprise you, really?

This my 1500th post so I decided to dedicate it to Somchai and his mates opposite mike shopping mall Pattaya Beach these are the guy's that appear in the popular YouTube clip Caught on Video "Thailand Jet Ski Scam Exposed".

Since this video was uploaded 5 months ago Nov 14th 2010 thanks to the good work of Thailand Undercover in this past 5 months there have been 78570 hits.

The clip has also appeared on many blogs and forums world wide so they have got massive exposure for all the wrong reasons .

Damage to Thailand and Pattaya's tourism will continue because that same group of men still are still on the beach everyday doing the same no one has been prosecuted.

Further to that the scam has been exposed all along the beach and it has also made international news showing how the scammers threaten tourists and sometimes assault them to force them to pay.

The amount of money is being taken from tourists is being quoted at 30000.00 baht a day personally I think it is much higher.

Scammers are known to start asking for around 80000 baht for a few scratches saying that the whole section needs to be repaired and painted etc this is part of there plan they don't expect to get 80k but sometimes they do even more.

But lets say they get 30000.00 baht each day there are atlas 12 groups operating on the beach thats 360k plus extras they get for overcharges of real incidents which often happen also.

I think 50000.00 baht a day is being conservative.

That is $16000.00 US Dollars per day big money taken from people who rent a jet ski to have a good time.

When no action is taken to stop these criminal activities and TAT ignores complaints all governments should get more involved to ensure Pattaya beach can be classed as safe.

Last thing is an eyewitness report posted on facebook.com/pattayafuture

Victim -I will call the police

Jetski Mafia - We Own The Police

quiet day on the beach today as most falangs engaged in the battle for beach rd and soi's 7 and 8.

water was everywhere

but as the sun dipped i caught 1 going down about opposite what is left of the best friend bar complex.

2 western falangs caught in the classic double whammy where damage is found on 1 ski 1st, and then the other.

with more people about i was able to get a bit closer. I don't know how much was being asked but i heard the bigger of the falangs say 10,000 bht now, so i guess it was at least 20,000 bht

Edited by striderman

Another Victims report

This was from the same guy

Take a photo with your own camera. I did not and they changed the photos in the camera. If you use their camera, you will be cheated.

The Columbus Dispatch (one of the USA's largest newspapers) is supposed to be doing a full article on my attack while I was in Thailand, along with this scam, and will be advising Americans to not travel to Pattaya if they come to Thailand.

If you have been a victim as I have, I urge you to talk to your local press and Embassy. Expose this crime as much as you can to everyone you know. Translate to other languages if you can. Let the world know what is happening in Pattaya.

Edited by saintofsilence

Another Victims report

This was from the same guy

Take a photo with your own camera. I did not and they changed the photos in the camera. If you use their camera, you will be cheated.

The Columbus Dispatch (one of the USA's largest newspapers) is supposed to be doing a full article on my attack while I was in Thailand, along with this scam, and will be advising Americans to not travel to Pattaya if they come to Thailand.

If you have been a victim as I have, I urge you to talk to your local press and Embassy. Expose this crime as much as you can to everyone you know. Translate to other languages if you can. Let the world know what is happening in Pattaya.

I'm surprised the airlines don't distribute a list of do's and don't's for visitors. Then all arrivals would be potentially educated as to the dangers that exist. If the authorities, the locals, the mafia all act as if ripping off, cheating, assaulting and otherwise abusing visitors and foreigners is acceptable then those potential victims should be protected.

I have to say that I have very little respect left for most Thai's, Thai culture, Thai business or Thai politics. In business I am always thinking, cash on delivery matey, no credit here, as I find it impossible to trust any of them based on my experience. My respect has been eroded over the years. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy my visits, I still do, so far. But the greed, racism, aggression, violence, corruption, dishonesty and ignorance that are so often evident or just beneath the surface, are utterly objectionable.

I came to Thailand(Lieland,scamland,call it what you will) 10 years ago. Pattaya was a different place then,of course, there were always the "wife/husband falls from 20th story condo balcony" "felang murdered by Thai wife 35 years his junior, ferang commits "suicide" in hotel room" and the best one's are Man comits suicide while being tied up and a plastic bag over his head' and' prisoner while handcuffed in back of police car grabs police officers gun and is shot before he can injure anybody' of course,these are laughable and ridiculous.It was bad enough then,but these sorts of incidents were accepted/ignored by us,the ferang,because this was the place we had decided to live,to us it was paradise. After years of work and problems at home,we thought we had earned this heaven for our remaining years. How ever,this scum,this filth that is rearing its head in the form of jet sea scammers(scummers) is, without doubt the most dangerous and vile scam ever introduced and the rusults just prove that the authorities in this country literally dont care if we die, they just do not care,what will happen when a family man takes his kid'(s) to the beach for a fun day out and he ends up being surrounded with violent thugs who eventualy(being so ignorant) will kill a tourist,the child is a witness!will they kill him/her too?where is our protection? these tourists go into their holiday shop back home(Thompson's Lunn Polly,The Holiday Shop and are told what a wonderful place Phuket and Samui are and Pattaya can be ok too.How many holiday sellers actualy say"well i wouldnt go to the islands or Pattaya if i were you,did you know that an English guy was stabbed there last week because he wouldnt be ripped off and he was protecting his 9 year old boy who was with him at the time"???"the police?you ask ? yes they were there,trying to negotiate a price that this perfectly innocent 35 year old family man should pay" "oh yes,the Police said how sorry they were for the 22 year old widow's loss,and the two kids aged 9 and 6,who came to "amazing Thailand for a holiday of a life time.This must be stopped now !!!!!!!! the powers that control this vile game must take a cut in thier profits(they have many more scams to attend to,surely)and through common decency(if a scammer can have such a thing) before they ruin this country through sheer greed and indifference

What makes this scam worst is that the scammer takes photo's of the tourist sitting on the ski before going out convincing the tourist they are safe from scams because of the photos.

There are many reports of them editing photo's on the memory card and removing scratches while jet ski is out on the water a lot of tourist have no idea that the scammers are capable of this , some jet ski operators even show the tourist souvenir plates with the photo in it which proves that they are going to a photo shop.

But what has been done ?

Are Thais so blinded by greed, they don't realize they are killing the golden goose?

These scam reports on the internet will be doing damage to tourism for years and years and years.

Dumb.

This will not stop people from coming to Thailand, obviously it don´t even stop people from renting jetskis.

There are many reports of them editing photo's on the memory card and removing scratches while jet ski is out on the water a lot of tourist have no idea that the scammers are capable of this , some jet ski operators even show the tourist souvenir plates with the photo in it which proves that they are going to a photo shop...

Sorry, this is hard to believe and your credibility with me has suffered because of it. I think you may be a bit too invested in this to the point where you're overdoing things. "There are many reports..." Really? Where?

There are many reports of them editing photo's on the memory card and removing scratches while jet ski is out on the water a lot of tourist have no idea that the scammers are capable of this , some jet ski operators even show the tourist souvenir plates with the photo in it which proves that they are going to a photo shop...

Sorry, this is hard to believe and your credibility with me has suffered because of it. I think you may be a bit too invested in this to the point where you're overdoing things. "There are many reports..." Really? Where?

If you do some searching and read comments under different reports you will find it ,please don't question my credibility with out some of your own research. Also read Pattaya one a couple of issues a go .Also look at the comments under the you tube clip there are more if you have time to look.

Edited by saintofsilence

Please explain how someone can be to "invested" in this".

on the beach photo editing is a bit extreme if you ask me, but I'll go for the bits of rubber that are removed from the jetski after the photos have been taken, I've also watched these guys and their routine, take photos with customer onboard then one of them will take the jetski for a 30 sec jaunt at extreme turns and stress, then - and I have no firm evidence of this, they seem to hunt around the waters edge for - perhaps a bit of rubber that has "ahem" dropped off, who knows :(

saintofsilence, I actually admire your drive to try to do something about this obvious scam. You are not doing yourself any favors by reporting hard-to-believe allegations like the altering of digital photos. It really makes no sense to alter a photo, there are so many easier ways, like using an earlier photo. If people reported somewhere that aliens from Jupiter were helping the scammers, you obviously wouldn't pass that on here.

If you wish to remain credible, stick to facts--you really don't need any unsubstantiated allegations. These guys are obviously scammers, there is no need to be over the top.

saintofsilence, I actually admire your drive to try to do something about this obvious scam. You are not doing yourself any favors by reporting hard-to-believe allegations like the altering of digital photos. It really makes no sense to alter a photo, there are so many easier ways, like using an earlier photo. If people reported somewhere that aliens from Jupiter were helping the scammers, you obviously wouldn't pass that on here.

If you wish to remain credible, stick to facts--you really don't need any unsubstantiated allegations. These guys are obviously scammers, there is no need to be over the top.

I was in Pattaya recently and was curious about this scam.

I watched the jet ski gang across from Mikes Shopping Center.

One of the beach boys took numerous pictures of a tourist mounted on the ski. He took shots from every angle.

When the tourist took the ski out for his ride, the beach boy handed the camera to a guy on a motorbike.

I didn't stick around but I suspect they were digitally erasing previous damage to the ski and were going to accuse the tourist of the damage.

Not to worry. The Royal Thai Police are now on the case..........blink.gif

It is not just the scam itself which is awful, but the vast, holiday wrecking sums of money these b------s demand.

I, as much as anyone on here would like to see this "business" publicised so much that everybody is aware of it and nobody even considers renting one of these things. Keep posting, but the problem is that the vast majority of tourists know nothing of "ThaiVisa," so it is really preaching to the converted.

The Mayor, or whatever he is, makes nice noises but is probably as wary as the poor victims are about repraisals. The police rule and they are clearly in on it.

What a horrible stain on this (mostly) lovely country.

Add to this the cigarette "police," cheating taxi and tuk-tuk drivers, dual pricing etc. etc. and I sometimes wonder why I chose to spend my (English) winters here. Perhaps I have become a bit savvy or am just lucky. I once had my back pocket wallet picked by a ladyboy on Sukhumvit (Bkk.) It was a dummy, and there was nothing in it. My money was elsewhere on my person. I suppose this is savvy and not luck.

I do realise that these things happen everywhere and you certainly have to be careful in England. It is only in Thailand where the police seem to favour the crook far too much. The Tourist Police can be very good, from what I have heard, but their very existence is a sad comment upon the Country.

Edited by Beechboy

It is not just the scam itself which is awful, but the vast, holiday wrecking sums of money these b------s demand.

I, as much as anyone on here would like to see this "business" publicised so much that everybody is aware of it and nobody even considers renting one of these things. Keep posting, but the problem is that the vast majority of tourists know nothing of "ThaiVisa," so it is really preaching to the converted.

The Mayor, or whatever he is, makes nice noises but is probably as wary as the poor victims are about repraisals. The police rule and they are clearly in on it.

What a horrible stain on this (mostly) lovely country.

Add to this the cigarette "police," cheating taxi and tuk-tuk drivers, dual pricing etc. etc. and I sometimes wonder why I chose to spend my (English) winters here. Perhaps I have become a bit savvy or am just lucky. I once had my back pocket wallet picked by a ladyboy on Sukhumvit (Bkk.) It was a dummy, and there was nothing in it. My money was elsewhere on my person. I suppose this is savvy and not luck.

I do realise that these things happen everywhere and you certainly have to be careful in England. It is only in Thailand where the police seem to favour the crook far too much. The Tourist Police can be very good, from what I have heard, but their very existence is a sad comment upon the Country.

I have heard from the Tourist Authority the Tourist Police are as crooked as they come. They were formed to combat the scammers but......you know the rest of the story......

You just don't get it do you Jimmy , I do my research I have also seen the scammers send someone away after taking photo's like others have verified. , your suggestion that they can use an older photo does not give the scammers claim as much strength as it does a nice new photo with the person being scammed sitting on a jet ski with no scratches.

In my previous post I never said that I had seen it as I don't expect people to take my word only , but if you have the time to do research Jimmy even just on a couple of forums in Pattaya you will gather more evedince that makes this allegation credible. Also while you are searching take a note of how many people that were scammed say similar quotes like this "they must have a done something to the photos I hit nothing"