Cold Season

Sinblesser

Guys,

I've not been able to grasp the cold season pattern here in Issan. To be precise, I'm about 20km NW of At Samat, Roi Et.

It appears to be getting warmer yet same day last year it was still too cold for the majority of the villagers.

Some have told me this year, being extremely cold the cold season is shorter. Others said to wait another two weeks and the cold will be back.

Would like to get some inputs from you guys. When does the cold comes and goes. Is there any other way of knowing other than waiting for the night chill after the last(final) big rain and waiting for the mozzies to come in their hoards to signify the cold season has ended?

Thanks...!

Edited by Sinblesser

In Southern Isarn, we do not have a cold season, per se. We do have 3 seasons- A cool season .followed by a hot season, followed by a rainy season. Each season lasts 4 months.There has been quite a change in temperature patterns , in the last 5 years. A nice way to express what it was like in the past, call the cool season ,the hot season, call the rainy season ,the hotter season,Call the hot season ,the hottest season. But not now. When I first came here ,about 20 years ago ,harvesting Paddy, was done in outdoor temps. nearing 40. Last week , it was a delightful about 30. We used to get 1 week of quite cold weather , in January, when in the morning every house lit a fire, to try and warm up.Then the heat would come. not now,Max. temps. are often below 30.For months. I no longer burst into a big sweat by about 09.00 ,as I used to.Night time Min. temps used to be about 28-30.Now under 20.In the hot season, everyone would go swimming ,every day . No longer.Not hot enough.The kids went swimming 1 day , last hot season.The fans used to be on a constant 3 setting, now on 1. More for mosquito control, than cooling. I used to knock off about 11.00, Siesta time until the heat went out of the sun, about 16.00. No longer the case. Last Sunday ,I carted Paddy, never even took my shirt off!!! ENJOY. I AM

In Southern Isarn, we do not have a cold season, per se. We do have 3 seasons- A cool season .followed by a hot season, followed by a rainy season. Each season lasts 4 months.There has been quite a change in temperature patterns , in the last 5 years. A nice way to express what it was like in the past, call the cool season ,the hot season, call the rainy season ,the hotter season,Call the hot season ,the hottest season. But not now. When I first came here ,about 20 years ago ,harvesting Paddy, was done in outdoor temps. nearing 40. Last week , it was a delightful about 30. We used to get 1 week of quite cold weather , in January, when in the morning every house lit a fire, to try and warm up.Then the heat would come. not now,Max. temps. are often below 30.For months. I no longer burst into a big sweat by about 09.00 ,as I used to.Night time Min. temps used to be about 28-30.Now under 20.In the hot season, everyone would go swimming ,every day . No longer.Not hot enough.The kids went swimming 1 day , last hot season.The fans used to be on a constant 3 setting, now on 1. More for mosquito control, than cooling. I used to knock off about 11.00, Siesta time until the heat went out of the sun, about 16.00. No longer the case. Last Sunday ,I carted Paddy, never even took my shirt off!!! ENJOY. I AM

I think that the cold season is a fallacy.

Night-time is cold sure enough, but after the sun has been up a few hours, the lack of cloud can make it really hot.

Mind you, after the cold season, April reminds me what hot really is.

So pay no attention to me :)

Ah, getlost. No need go figure, C.M. is in the hills, height above sea level substantially higher and much further North ,than Isarn. The higher you are,the more Northerly you are the cooler it can(will?) get. And C.M, C.R can get pretty nippy.

Appreciate all the inputs. Gotlost apparently cannot figure out that CM isn't exactly ISSAN. I am at best amused by his "Arse go figure..." kinda remark.

Afarang, heartfelt thanks for the lengthy post. It means a lot to know someone somewhere is putting in effort to my queries.

I shall not be caught unprepared again.

Cheers

Your welcome to it. Why do think we are here? The weather here ,this year, as it has been for the past couple of years, is delightful. You want most pleasant weather.? Come live in Southern Isarn, and join the sensible people.

Never heard of Isarn. But is Kap Choeng far enough south in Issan.:lol:

Your welcome to it. Why do think we are here? The weather here ,this year, as it has been for the past couple of years, is delightful. You want most pleasant weather.? Come live in Southern Isarn, and join the sensible people.

Never heard of Isarn. But is Kap Choeng far enough south in Issan.:lol:

Never pays to be too much of a smart arse ! :D:-

Profile of Isaan

The Northeast region of Thailand, known as Isaan, is home to the second largest people group in the country. In Thai, Isaan refers to the people, the dialect and the land area of the Northeast. One can be Isaan, speak Isaan and be from Isaan. The Isaan region includes 170,218 square kilometers, about one third of the country’s total area. In 1997 the population of Isaan was 21,086,501 or 35% of Thailand’s total population.

Not only is Isaan the second largest people group (after the central Thai,) it is also the second largest unreached people group in Thailand; that is, it does not yet have a viable, evangelizing, indigenous community of believers which is able to reach the rest of the group.

I judge it by whether my shower can be cold (cool) or whether I need to set the thermostat to warm.

Right now I am having to set the thermostat. I am actually loving this season and I hate the thought of going to UK next week, for one month. Whilst it can get hot during the day it also seems fresher and riding the motorcy is a cooling experience (until May/June when it feels like someone has turned on a hair dryer :)

Here in Korat the highs have been from 31 to 33, and the lows about 20. Last year we only had a week of cool weather. This year it is cool in the evening from the end of October to present. Hope it gets a bit cooler this month and next as February usually starts to get warm in the evenings again.

Barry

I judge it by whether my shower can be cold (cool) or whether I need to set the thermostat to warm.

Right now I am having to set the thermostat. I am actually loving this season and I hate the thought of going to UK next week, for one month. Whilst it can get hot during the day it also seems fresher and riding the motorcy is a cooling experience (until May/June when it feels like someone has turned on a hair dryer :)

Good luck on your trip bro, I have to boil my own hot shower. Having major changes to home soon. So i'm putting off the installation of proper grounds till then. No good ground now = no hot shower.

I totally agree with the fresh part but i hate moving around on the motorcycle. i drive with the windows open thou. And when the "hair dryer" comes i'll close em and turn on the a/c where ever i go.. lol..

Absolutely,my hot water heater is on every morning, love my hot shower. My sympathies to you ,having to leave next month. please don't read the weather reports for over there.Before you leave.

It gets so cold here sometimes i'm thinking hot water shower, heated toilet seat and central heating system that covers the toilet. Alright alright, i'm a puss when it comes to cold..

Here in Korat the highs have been from 31 to 33, and the lows about 20. Last year we only had a week of cool weather. This year it is cool in the evening from the end of October to present. Hope it gets a bit cooler this month and next as February usually starts to get warm in the evenings again.

Barry

So back to my original question, does the cold comes at a slightly different time each year and lasts for different duration? for it seems that this year is quite a bit different from the last. Sure am hoping next year will be similar to this year but who knows. Are we affected by La Nino in anyway?

Cheers,

Sinblesser

January is traditionally the coolest time of year. There's usually a well defined change, when the winds blow hard from the north. It's marked by having to constantly lean to the north when riding a bike and, in my part of Buri Ram, by the appearance of the "singing kites", that is, kites that make a rhythmic sound in the wind. They're usually tied up and left all night, the wind being strong enough and sustained enough to keep them flying. Year to year is different, but over the time I've spent in Buri Ram I've recorded a number of 8 and 9 deg C at night, and a whopping 15 deg C at mid-day on more than a few occasions.

There are about 5 different spellings Of Isarn. It does ,when correctly pronounced ,have a soft "r" sound in it.To answer your question,no, Kap Choeng is far too northerly. You need to go to Chong Chom.

Chong Chom is Cambodia not Issan or Isarn. Note to myself; don't use you as a navigator.:lol:

There are about 5 different spellings Of Isarn. It does ,when correctly pronounced ,have a soft "r" sound in it.To answer your question,no, Kap Choeng is far too northerly. You need to go to Chong Chom.

Chong Chom is Cambodia not Issan or Isarn. Note to myself; don't use you as a navigator.:lol:

Sorry, Chong Chom is in the Surin Province, it's a border point into Cambodia with Osmach on the other side.

afarang is a fine navigator.

Sorry, Chong Chom is in the Surin Province, it's a border point into Cambodia with Osmach on the other side.

I bet he couldn't find my feet for me - let alone the dangly bits ! :)

Oh,Dear,got lost got very lost , this time. Back to school, to brush up on his Geography.

Given the state of the weather I think most of us have that problem mate.

Oh,Dear,got lost got very lost , this time. Back to school, to brush up on his Geography.

Wow, the basher got bashed...!! In the cold I hope... :D

Sure is windy today. I woke up this morning, saw cooking pots base jumping off the shelves in my neighbor's and there was this red plastic chair that did a perfect drift on the road right in front of my house.

Google weather says it's gonna be a chilly 17'c tonight...

How's everyone else doing today?