Changing From Visa Exempt To O-A

I'm sure I've seen information posted about doing it, but as it hasn't concerned me, of course I didn't pay much attention. However, I now have a friend arriving in January on a flight from the States, (she's on an Australian passport) and will get the visa exempt stamp worth 30 days. So far, so good.

However, she wants to stay quite a bit longer, and considered heading to Vientianne for the tourist visa, but has the nasty red stamp in her passport saying that she may be denied a tourist visa. She's considering Penang, but I wonder if they'll do the same thing looking at that red stamp.

So, I've begun to think of other options. Is it possible, at the immigration office in Bangkok, to change that visa exempt stamp into an O-A visa worth a year's stay (or more, if using extensions)?

Over fifty years of age, income adequate for the 800k affidavit from her embassy, necessary photos, etc.

Any other suggestions? I tried to find any other kind of non-imm O visa, and didn't see anything appropriate - eg. marriage, education, business, family, etc.

An O-A Visa cannot be obtained in Thailand. It can only be obtained in your country of residence.

A 12 month extension of stay can be obtained in Thailand with the necessary income requirements.

It can be obtained with a Visa exempt entry but is much easier with a Non Imm Visa.

An O-A Visa cannot be obtained in Thailand. It can only be obtained in your country of residence.

A 12 month extension of stay can be obtained in Thailand with the necessary income requirements.

It can be obtained with a Visa exempt entry but is much easier with a Non Imm Visa.

Thanks for the info, LiteBeer.

I guess the O-A is out of the question then, as she has no interest in flying all the way to Australia just for the visa.

As I said, she won't have a Non Imm Visa as I don't think there is any appropriate category for that.

So, you said that a 12 month extension can be obtained on a visa exempt entry as long as the necessary income requirements are okay. That means an affidavit from the embassy assuring Thailand that she has an income of or exceeding the equivalent of 800K baht per year.

Any other requirements? How does one go about applying for that extension at Cheang Wattana? Are there forms that can be downloaded to go prepared?

Thanks for your quick help. rolleyes.gif I'm emailng again this afternoon, so she can be prepared.

In Bangkok, she would need to do the two step process --

1. Change of visa status, from stamp to non-immigrant O (not O-A)

2. Annual extension based on retirement

Sometimes step 1 and 2 occur on the same day.

My understanding is that Bangkok can do step 1. Not all immigrations offices in Thailand will. In the past, an applicant would need at least 21 days left on their current stay to do step 1. That may be more liberal now, but I wouldn't count on it. That means there is a rush to do this on a 30 day stamp.

Step 2 is what long term retirees do here every year, year after year, all of us, not just those who started on O-A. Your friend doesn't need an O-A!

If step 1 can't be managed in Bangkok for any reason, a trip to Malaysia or Laos could be done to get a single entry O visa. Then come back and do step 2 with 30 days left on that 90 day stay. Just tell the embassies/consulates there that she is over 50 and planning to apply for the extension in Thailand to get the single entry 0.

Edited by Jingthing

In Bangkok, she would need to do the two step process --

1. Change of visa status, from stamp to non-immigrant O (not O-A)

2. Annual extension based on retirement

Sometimes step 1 and 2 occur on the same day.

My understanding is that Bangkok can do step 1. Not all immigrations offices in Thailand will. In the past, an applicant would need at least 21 days left on their current stay to do step 1. That may be more liberal now, but I wouldn't count on it. That means there is a rush to do this on a 30 day stamp.

Step 2 is what long term retirees do here every year, year after year, all of us, not just those who started on O-A. Your friend doesn't need an O-A!

If step 1 can't be managed in Bangkok for any reason, a trip to Malaysia or Laos could be done to get a single entry O visa. Then come back and do step 2 with 30 days left on that 90 day stay. Just tell the embassies/consulates there that she is over 50 and planning to apply for the extension in Thailand to get the single entry 0.

Thanks, JingThing,

And here, having been here a long time myself, I'm still learning so much about the confusing world of Thai visas. I always thought that there was some kind of lettered addition to the O Visa, rather than a basic O non imm visa. Strange. My ignorance keeps showing, and growing! whistling.gif

So, stop at the embassy for the affidavit of income, bring photos and passport, and head out to Cheang Wattana early. With a bit of luck, change that visa exempt to an O Visa and apply for the extension of stay at the same time.

If there's any rush, as she was figuring on a trip to Penang to attempt another tourist visa, she can apply for the O single entry visa there by telling them she is planing to apply for the extension in Thailand. Wow! laugh.gif That is really news. I'll pass it along and I'm sure she extends her thanks as well as mine to both you and LiteBeer.

jap.gifjap.gifjap.gifjap.gifjap.gifjap.gifjap.gif

Can she not obtain the 'o' a, or any visa prior to leaving, if she does not have a visa, she could be denied boarding by the airline, if she does not have a flight out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival.

Excellent point! She could try for a single entry O but may not get it as outside of the region they don't always give that for the reason of applying for retirement extension in Thailand. Washington D.C. won't, some "friendly" consulates might. Easier would be a tourist visa. Same rules apply with the tourist visa, step 1 and 2 at Bangkok with that, but more time to do it. If flying from the US without a visa, she may be able to be boarded with a ticket leaving Thailand anywhere in 30 days (like Malaysia) but that's not as foolproof as having any kind of visa. Some US consulates will require a ticket out anyway to give a visa, they will state their specific requirements. Edited by Jingthing

1. You say coming from US so should try to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa prior to travel. As over age 50 believe it will be allowed now that Honorary Consulates can not provide O-A visas.

2. She needs a visa for the trip from US or airline may leave her at the terminal. 30 day visa exempt entry requires onward travel proof. Airlines often do check that.

3. With either of above conversion to one year extension of stay can be made in Bangkok. One less step and 2,000 baht fee if non immigrant visa to begin with.

Can she not obtain the 'o' a, or any visa prior to leaving, if she does not have a visa, she could be denied boarding by the airline, if she does not have a flight out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival.

Excellent point! She could try for a single entry O but may not get it as outside of the region they don't always give that for the reason of applying for retirement extension in Thailand. Washington D.C. won't, some "friendly" consulates might. Easier would be a tourist visa. Same rules apply with the tourist visa, step 1 and 2 at Bangkok with that, but more time to do it. If flying from the US without a visa, she may be able to be boarded with a ticket leaving Thailand anywhere in 30 days (like Malaysia) but that's not as foolproof as having any kind of visa. Some US consulates will require a ticket out anyway to give a visa, they will state their specific requirements.

I've told her much the same in an email just a short time ago. I think she should see abut a tourist visa from San Francisco, the closest to her. Maybe an O, but at least the tourist visa. I've also warned her that without a visa or onward ticket, she could be refused boarding a flight to Thailand. Sometimes they'll accept your word that you plan to go overland to Laos, Cambodia or Malaysia, but then again, sometimes not.

Think I've covered just about all the bases, now it's her turn over there. Still got a month, so lots of time to accomplish something even by mail over the "holiday" season.

There is no San Francisco consulate. There is an LA consulate. Their reputation is not friendly. VERY poor prospects there for her to get an O but easily a tourist visa. In any case, they will likely require a ticket out of Thailand even for a tourist visa (check their website, it will probably say). She will probably have to buy a one way ticket to the cheapest place, probably Malaysia. If attempting to board with no visa, the ticket out must leaving within 30 days. I wouldn't risk showing and claiming land travel. I would also suggest she call he airline for their official policy for boarding to Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

There is no San Francisco consulate. There is an LA consulate. Their reputation is not friendly. VERY poor prospects there for her to get an O but easily a tourist visa. In any case, they will likely require a ticket out of Thailand even for a tourist visa (check their website, it will probably say). She will probably have to buy a one way ticket to the cheapest place, probably Malaysia. If attempting to board with no visa, the ticket out must leaving within 30 days. I wouldn't risk showing and claiming land travel. I would also suggest she call he airline for their official policy for boarding to Thailand.

Thanks, JT.

I did forward information to her about the LA consulate, after realizing there wasn't one in San Francisco. The news about their reputation is not good, though. I did recommend a tourist visa rather than attempting an O. She can always go through the process of getting an extension here from that.

I did suggest filling out the visa application form which simply has arrival flight information, although the attached page of instructions does say that copies of airline tickets may be requested.

I'll pass along the recommendation of a cheap flight to Malaysia or elsewhere, probably find a cheapie on AirAsia's site, and then just not use it.

Im pretty sure you can get an 'O' in Penang now. I was there in May and agencies were

getting them for you.....

I came from Australia with a 2 month tourist Visa, visited a Visa service office next door to the Pattaya Immigration in Jomtien and in 2 days had a Non-Immigration Type O Visa and a Retirement Visa as well as a multiple entry Visa. I also had all the qualifications for the Retirement Visa before I visited the Visa service Company.

You apparently obtained a non immigrant visa entry conversion (not a visa - cost 2,000 baht at immigration) and extended that stay for retirement (not a visa - cost 1,900 baht at immigration) and a multi re-entry permit (not a multiple entry visa - cost 3,800 baht at immigration). Correct?

You apparently obtained a non immigrant visa entry conversion (not a visa - cost 2,000 baht at immigration) and extended that stay for retirement (not a visa - cost 1,900 baht at immigration) and a multi re-entry permit (not a multiple entry visa - cost 3,800 baht at immigration). Correct?

A total cost of 7,700 Baht for a fairly straightforward application.

It would be interesting to know how much the agency charged. B)

Actually, there is a new Royal Thai Consul General in Los Angeles, within the past year, and having brought this exact issue to his attention, I can now report that things have significantly improved. There is now a farang processing visas and handling inquiries, who is quite willing to answer questions, and steer you toward the right path.

The English-language website lags behind a bit, but they make corrections as they become aware of the problems.

Just FYI.

Sateev