Have some money in a fixed account coming due and wondered if

anyone had an info on what rates the banks are paying currently

here in Chiang Mai?

The Bangkok Post used to carry the rates once a week but don't seem

to do that anymore. Realize the rates are pathetic but would like to

get the best of the bad deals.

Can only speak for Kasikorn :

Savings Rate for less than 1000million baht is 0.5%

Fixed Rate Deposits of less than 5million : 3 months 0.95%, 6 months 1.25%,12 months 1.4%, 24 months 2.15%.

They often advise Mutual Funds with possible capital appreciation.

NOTE : the SET has risen from about 700 in Feb 2010 to its present level of 1050. Good going.

Edited by Asmerom

Generally, the small banks have the best deals, and Siam City Bank is the best-known of the small banks. Many of these banks do ad hoc deals. For example, Bangkok Bank recently had 2.25% for 15 months, minimum 10,000 baht. Siam City recently had 1.5% for 5 months, minimum 200,000 baht. Sometimes it's a staggered rate, like 1.0% for 4 months, 1.8% for 4 months, and 2.5% for 4 months, with interest paid monthly into your savings account. These deals might only be available for around a month or until "fully subscribed." Just keep looking for the brochures at Siam City Bank (SCIB). SCIB also has slightly better standard fixed rates for citizens and PR-holders.

Always best to go in and ask personally as i did in this instance, example ;

Went into the yellow bank where i had 1.8m deposited and asked how much will you pay for 1 year, 4.5% was the answer,then went into another bank and they were paying 5%, went back to the previous lady in the yellow bank to ask for a cashiers chq for the 1.8m who then asked how much was i getting elsewhere else ? 5% was my reply, so why didn't you ask us she replied, but i did i told her,aaaaaaah, but i didn't think you were serious, she replied, 24.gif24.gif24.gif

True story that was.

Edited by alfieconn

Went into the yellow bank where i had 1.8m deposited and asked how much will you pay for 1 year, 4.5% was the answer,then went into another bank and they were paying 5%, went back to the previous lady in the yellow bank to ask for a cashiers chq for the 1.8m who then asked how much was i getting elsewhere else ? 5% was my reply, so why didn't you ask us she replied, but i did i told her,aaaaaaah, but i didn't think you were serious, she replied, 24.gif24.gif24.gif

True story that was.

5% for 24 months ! Amazing; that's double the rates being paid by the top 17 banks in Thailand. Odd you seem so careless of the bank's names while touting your millions.cool.gif Still, I suppose your true story happened years ago which you omitted to mention.

SCIB also has slightly better standard fixed rates for citizens and PR-holders.

Just on that point, this old thread makes interesting reading ...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/262584-different-fixed-deposit-bank-interest-rates-for-foreigners/page__p__2725316__hl__fixed+deposit+interest+foreigner__fromsearch__1#entry2725316

5% for 24 months !

Where have i mentioned 24 months ;) unless you think 1 year equals 24 months

Amazing; that's double the rates being paid by the top 17 banks in Thailand

Not approx 5 five years ago it wasn't

Odd you seem so careless of the bank's names while touting your millions.cool.gif

Sorry i don't understand this statement so perhaps you could enlighten me :o, and it wasn't millions by the way unless you think 1.8 million is millions :lol:

Still, I suppose your true story happened years ago which you omitted to mention.

Like i said previous it did happen years ago, but when, where,names of banks etc were irrevelent as it was the story that i thought people might find amusing :( .

Edited by alfieconn

" it was the story that i thought people might find amusing" :( .

Well it certainly amused those three laughing heads which even now, at this late hour, are still rolling about doubled up with mirthangry.gif.and I tremble to think how many mistakes I've made in penning this sentence.

True story that was.

5% for 24 months ! Amazing; that's double the rates being paid by the top 17 banks in Thailand. Odd you seem so careless of the bank's names while touting your millions.cool.gif Still, I suppose your true story happened years ago which you omitted to mention.

WOw! Scathing!

David

" it was the story that i thought people might find amusing" :( .

Well it certainly amused those three laughing heads which even now, at this late hour, are still rolling about doubled up with mirthangry.gif.and I tremble to think how many mistakes I've made in penning this sentence.

Have you not heard of the phrase "if you don't have anything worth while to say, then don't say it " :(:D

Edited by alfieconn

Everyone does know that it isn't just the bank but the branch. Not all banks even of the same head company will offer the same rates. You really need to shop around. BKK bank on Changklan offered less than 2% while the same bank at the 89 plaza offered 2.5 %.

I too find the 5% for one year a little hard to believe. Since most of their housing loans are for under 5%, how would they make any money?

3.5% is the highest that I have ever seen in this country, but you also had to be a resident.

Some good information on some banks, but still you might want to shop around a bit. local branches of Banks will have promotions that are not carried by the others.

My friend she is working in Thai Farmer Bank (TMB) Chang Moi Road Branch (Near Warorot Market)

- Korean Banknote (Kind of investment)

I just bought Korea Bank Note that 0% risk. That time I bought 19 months with interest 2.65%. Auto interest transfer to another saving account every 3 months.

Another kind of fixed account: TMB Up & Up

Interest per year

Month 1-6 0.60 %

Month 7-12 1.75 %

Month 13-18 2.0 %

Month 19-24 5.0 %

Same as the Korean Banknote, they transfer to saving account for our interest every 3 month. Different from other bank as if you'd like to withdraw money before its due date, your interest will not be converted to saving interest but you will get the rate on the date you withdraw.

She gave me a superior bank ATM card which can withdraw money from every ATM different bank without charge. I can take money from everywhere every bank now that very comfortable.

Try them ! laugh.gif

TMB Thai Military Bank

www.tmbbank.com

Edited by tammydesign

I bet your one of them people who gets obnoxious when he's had a drink :o:D

No, I don't need a drink.cool.gif

I get obnoxious when I`ve had a drink, so you all a shutup aya faces.

A lot can depend on your age, the minimum amount you wish to deposit and how long you can afford to leave the money in the bank.

Some of the Thai Government owned banks do good deals for over 55s on longer term special interest bank accounts, sometimes with no tax deducable.

Worth making inquiries.