Bangkok Police Arrest Former American Lawyer For Fraud

george

Bangkok police arrest former American lawyer for fraud

BANGKOK: -- Police arrested a former American lawyer who had worked in the United States using his position to deceive other Americans.

Jan Morton Heger, 68, was arrested at his home in Bangkok's Sukhumvit area after the Thai authorities received a request from the US authorities.

According to police, Mr Heger, who has outstanding arrest warrant from California court, exploited his career of a well-known lawyer to deceive his fellow nationals that he could lobby the banks in the US to give loan to the victims for their investment.

There were 15 victims that were defrauded and lost money totalling Bt60 million. He flew to Thailand in 2007 before the California courts issued an arrest warrant and withdrew his US passport.

He was initially to be charged for overstaying in Thailand. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-01-19

Too funny:

At the Law Offices of Jan Morton Heger, our clients come first. Every client is treated with courtesy and is guaranteed effective representation. Our expertise and integrity have earned us a reputation as one of California's premier legal firms.

Our consistent track record of uncompromising ethics instills confidence and trust. We use cutting edge technologies that allow us to respond quickly, and give you the most relevant information and perspectives.

The Law Offices of Jan Morton Heger is dedicated to achieving the best outcome for every client. With the Law Offices of Jan Morton Heger on your side, you will come out on top.

Jan Morton Heger Esq.

Home Page

Source: hegerlaw.com

Edited by Maestro
Added link to source.

Note how the US authorities issue an arrest warrant AND withdraw the passport unlike the cerebrally challenged UK authorities that have failed to do so on so many occasions hence there are so many low life Brits hanging out in LOS. I am British by the way so this is not a slander on Brits, rather on the idiot UK authorities...!

Note how the US authorities issue an arrest warrant AND withdraw the passport unlike the cerebrally challenged UK authorities that have failed to do so on so many occasions hence there are so many low life Brits hanging out in LOS. I am British by the way so this is not a slander on Brits, rather on the idiot UK authorities...!

I'm not so sure. Our "Homeland Security" and laws empowering it have broadened police powers generally in the United States and reduced scores of earlier freedoms. Here we find local authorities engaging with Federal Passport office to cancel a passport based on a fraud scheme (which however might involve federal charges).

But, I can easily imagine this process being extended to many other lesser felonies, all of them of course just charges, not convictions. Nor in this case is violence asserted as being part of the alleged crimes.

From AVVO Lawyer Referral:

Jan Morton Heger

AVVO Rating - 6.7 (Good)

Résumé

* 31 years since Jan Morton Heger was first licensed to practice law in CA.

State: California

License status: Active

Year acquired: 1979

Last updated by Avvo: 08/06/2010

This lawyer has been cited for professional misconduct by a state disciplinary authority.

Citation type: Discipline, probation; no actual suspension

Year cited: 1993

Citation type: Private reproval, public disclosure

Year cited: 1991

==================================================================================

From LinkedIn:

1616721054055632810360n.jpg

Jan Morton Heger

Owner

Law Offices of Jan Morton Heger (Sole Proprietorship)

(Sole Proprietorship; Law Practice industry)

January 1977 — Present (34 years 1 month)

Source: www.avvo.com/attorneys/92677-ca-jan-heger-268125.html

Edited by Maestro
Added link to source.

Indeed it must have been a felony case that the US went through that much trouble. Must've also been a criminal and not a civil case. Wonder if it is in that category to the money amount and his position? I am no law expert, but goes to show the inter-working computer systems and mass communication abroad.

Why doesn't Thailand do this to Thaksin and his ex broad? Only about 12 outstanding charges and several convictions!

Indeed it must have been a felony case that the US went through that much trouble. Must've also been a criminal and not a civil case. Wonder if it is in that category to the money amount and his position? I am no law expert, but goes to show the inter-working computer systems and mass communication abroad.

Why doesn't Thailand do this to Thaksin and his ex broad? Only about 12 outstanding charges and several convictions!

Godwin's law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

Jetset's law: ""As an online discussion in Thailand grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Thaksin approaches 1."

Wow! Got there before the end of the first page. :clap2:

Seeing as how he holds Montenegrin and Nicaraguan passports and possibly a few others, it wouldn't really help matters would it?

Edited by inthepink

Slightly off topic but concerning revocation of passports, watch what happens when some woman goes to court and files for non-payment of child support by some US type. The passport gets revoked in a heart beat.

I know this as a friend of a friend went to get more pages for his passport (when they were free) and the next thing he knew was his passport was stamped invalid. He was told if he paid $100,000 US now to the court, he could get a passport for a short period of time until he paid back all the child support.

Both were involving charges of fraud. The embassy was only enforcing the court order.

Slightly off topic but concerning revocation of passports, watch what happens when some woman goes to court and files for non-payment of child support by some US type. The passport gets revoked in a heart beat.

I know this as a friend of a friend went to get more pages for his passport (when they were free) and the next thing he knew was his passport was stamped invalid. He was told if he paid $100,000 US now to the court, he could get a passport for a short period of time until he paid back all the child support.

Both were involving charges of fraud. The embassy was only enforcing the court order.

I think the threshold for a child support canceled passport is like USD 2.5k.

TheWalkingMan

I think the threshold for a child support canceled passport is like USD 2.5k.

TheWalkingMan

It was courted ordered and spanned a number of years. Maybe the minimum is 2.5K but this guy owed for a number of years for more than one child.

In the US passports can be revoked by any Judge in any pending criminal case. It has nothing to do with the nature or severity of the crime rather it is based on the potential for flight from prosecution. This decision is made on a case by case basis. During pre trial/bail hearings the prosecutor can argue to the judge that the accused is a flight risk, and ask for such measures as bank accounts to be frozen, passports canceled, even bail denied outright based on the perceived risk. Equally the defense has a chance to make a counter argument. In a case where the arrest warrant is issued after the accused has already fled the country the prosecutions request canceling his passport would be pretty much indefensible.

I'm not so sure. Our "Homeland Security" and laws empowering it have broadened police powers generally in the United States and reduced scores of earlier freedoms. Here we find local authorities engaging with Federal Passport office to cancel a passport based on a fraud scheme (which however might involve federal charges).

But, I can easily imagine this process being extended to many other lesser felonies, all of them of course just charges, not convictions. Nor in this case is violence asserted as being part of the alleged crimes.

What scores of earlier freedoms were reduced? How has it impacted your life? Just asking.