Just Wondering About Visa

Names: Josh

Nationality: Australian

Just got back from Thailand 3 months ago, Was over there for 5 months, Had an awsome time...Planning to goto Thailand in November for a year, My 'O' Visa has expired June 8th, I've got all required documents to apply for another one.

Just wondering, Applying at Sydney Thai Consulate...Is there any required amount of money i need in my bank account that they will check on?

This isn't stated in there check list, but i was just wondering.

I remember when i was in Thailand applying for Immagrant O visa, they required me to transfer $10,000AUS to Thai bank account, which would roughly come to 400,000 Baht.

Let me know if i have confused myself with 2 different things.

Kind regards

Josh

P.S sorry dr_Pat_Pong, Can you delete my other post in other section, this is the right place. Oh and yes i'm Married to a Thai.

If you want to stay a year without having to do border runs every 90 days you/ll need to apply for a Non Imm O based upon supporting a Thai wife a single entry will suffice................you/ll recieve a 90 day stay upon arrival in Thailand after the first 60 days go to local Immigration and apply for a 1 year extension of stay............you/ll need to show 400k in the bank here or monthly verifiable income equivilant and marriage certificate etc.

I can apply for a 1 year visa whilst in Sydney, I was just wondering if they will check my bank account? Because it's not on the checklist:

Checklist below:

*Visa application form completely filled out

*Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months and its

copy

*Two recent photograph full-faced, bareheaded photos taken within the past

six months (passport-sized photograph or 2 1/2 inches)

*A photocopy of a marriage or its equivalents ("O")

*A photocopy of your valid spouse Thai I.D card/ passport (“O”)

*A formal letter from your spouse identifying who he or she is? And what

is the relationship to you (“O”)

They replyed:

Dear Sir,

Those documents you have mentioned and also the fee is $225.00 AUD (cash,

money order or bamk cheque) and a copy of your airline ticket.

Best Regards,

Visa Section.

They never stated i will need 400,000 Baht in my bank, am i being confused with somethging else? I've already had a Non-Immagrant O visa, It's expired...I Just need a new one.

Let me know if anyone knows more on this, I'm just inquiry whether the money in my account will affect me applying.

1. There is no such thing as a one year visa for your category of stay.

2. You can, perhaps, obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa which would allow you to visit your wife for period of up to 90 days (before you have to leave country/re-enter) for a year or a little more. That is the best you can obtain and should not normally require bank account information.

3. If you arrive with 2 or even a single entry you can, if employed and meeting the immigration requirements of 400k in a local bank account or yearly income of that amount apply for a yearly extension of stay. This is not a visa but an extension of your original stay and would not require any trips abroad.

Thankyou Lopburi3

I am appyling for a Multi Entry, Which will cost me $225 AUST

You can, perhaps, obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa which would allow you to visit your wife for period of up to 90 days (before you have to leave country/re-enter) for a year or a little more. That is the best you can obtain and should not normally require bank account information.

I think that's exactly what i'll have to do.

Josh

3.  If you arrive with 2 or even a single entry you can, if employed and meeting the immigration requirements of 400k in a local bank account or yearly income of that amount apply for a yearly extension of stay.  This is not a visa but an extension of your original stay and would not require any trips abroad.

Lop employment isnt a requirement for the extension of stay is it?.........only the proof of income or 400k in the bank.

Sure its the way i/m reading it but the way you've written it sounds like employment is a prerequiste........"if employed and meeting the...."

OP........if you dont mind the border runs then a Multi O will suit you fine.

3.  If you arrive with 2 or even a single entry you can, if employed and meeting the immigration requirements of 400k in a local bank account or yearly income of that amount apply for a yearly extension of stay.  This is not a visa but an extension of your original stay and would not require any trips abroad.

Lop employment isnt a requirement for the extension of stay is it?.........only the proof of income or 400k in the bank.

Sure its the way i/m reading it but the way you've written it sounds like employment is a prerequiste........"if employed and meeting the...."

OP........if you dont mind the border runs then a Multi O will suit you fine.

If you are under 50 that money is expected to be the result of your employment. It is not going to be that closely checked if from outside Thailand but if not you are may be answering questions on the source I believe during the question and answser session each year.

If you are under 50 that money is expected to be the result of your employment.  It is not going to be that closely checked if from outside Thailand but if not you are may be answering questions on the source I believe during the question and answser session each year.

Fair enough...........i can't see it being checked at all if from brought in from outside Thailand.

I can understand your point ............just didnt want the OP thinking it was a requirement to have employment to qualify for the year extension of stay.

Tell you the truth, that's a little bit of a pain jumping borders every 90 days, i can picture it in my head, that would be stressful.

So there no such thing as a 1 year visa, applying from Sydney?

I thought the Thai consulate told me there was :/ should i double check that statement?

Josh

If you are under 50 that money is expected to be the result of your employment.  It is not going to be that closely checked if from outside Thailand but if not you are may be answering questions on the source I believe during the question and answer session each year.

Fair enough...........i can't see it being checked at all if from brought in from outside Thailand.

I can understand your point ............just didnt want the OP thinking it was a requirement to have employment to qualify for the year extension of stay.

Although this may or may not be current policy suggest you read para nine of this web pdf page to see why I mention employment - it appears that it may be an issue for those under 50. LINK

Tell you the truth, that's a little bit of a pain jumping borders every 90 days, i can picture it in my head, that would be stressful.

I thought the Thai consulate told me there was :/ should i double check that statement?

Josh

The only thing available from Consulate is the multi entry O non immigrant visa which requires border runs every 90 days. The visa is valid for one year from date of issue so that is probably why they say it is one year - but no entry can be longer than 90 days. At your age you are expected to be working and supporting your wife and to obtain an extension of stay from immigration on that basis (400k in local bank/employment route). With that you would not need to make border runs. If you do not have income/employment it is expected your would take your wife to your home country to support her.

Although this may or may not be current policy suggest you read para nine of this web pdf page to see why I mention employment - it appears that it may be an issue for those under 50.

Interesting............learn something new everyday.

Wonder how often, if at all evidence of employment is asked for...........anyone in this position?

Josh

The only thing available from Consulate is the multi entry O non immigrant visa which requires border runs every 90 days. The visa is valid for one year from date of issue so that is probably why they say it is one year - but no entry can be longer than 90 days. At your age you are expected to be working and supporting your wife and to obtain an extension of stay from immigration on that basis (400k in local bank/employment route). With that you would not need to make border runs. If you do not have income/employment it is expected your would take your wife to your home country to support her.

:o

so let me get this right

I already have a multiple entry O visa approved yesterday, after one year in the country I can apply for an extention of stay if I can show a bank balance of 400bht or more, I am not married aged 45, or do I need to be married

so let me get this right

I already have a multiple entry O visa approved yesterday, after one year in the country I can apply for an extention of stay if I can show a bank balance of 400bht or more, I am not married aged 45, or do I need to be married

no, you are wrong, but lopburi will give you the exact answer.

just for now:

multiple entry o visa allows you to stay up to 90 days, then you must make a border run for another 90 days, this you can do for one year (and 90 days max)

if you want to have a one year extension, have to be married or support (your) thai child, and then you need to show 400k, if over 50 can apply for retirement extension, but have to show 800k,

not shure, if you can get extension without supporting thai wife or child and being under 50 - better wait for lopburis answer.

not shure, if you can get extension without supporting thai wife or child and being under 50 - better wait for lopburis answer.

Only way is if you are working here and satisfy the employment criteria for extension of stay...........otherwise as you say married 400k or over 50 and 800k.

so let me get this right

As said you would have to support a Thai wife to obtain an extension of stay with 400k.

so let me get this right

As said you would have to support a Thai wife to obtain an extension of stay with 400k.

Or 3 million baht option?

Application for extension of stay of persons investing a minimum of 3 million Baht in the Kingdom

Required Documents

Evidence of transfer of at least 3 million Baht from abroad into Thailand. The applicant must be either the sender abroad or the recipient in Thailand of the investment.

Evidence of investing the transferred money after the transfer is completed in one or several of the following cases:

Deposit the money in a fixed account of a state bank (Krung Thai Bank, Government Savings Bank, Bank for Agriculture and Cooperative, Ratanasin Bank, Srinakhorn Bank, Nakhornluang Thai Bank, Housing Bank)

Buy bonds issued by a state agency or government enterprise. The bonds must be purchased directly from a state agency or government enterprise or an authorised dealer.

Buy an apartment or condominium at the price set and registered by the Land Department.

Any kind of investment deemed beneficial to the country by the Immigration Bureau.

Conditions for permission

The foreign national must permanently possess the investment. If he wishes to change the kind of investment, he first has to ask for permission to change the kind of investment and may tghen change to a new permanent kind of investment.

multiple entry o visa allows you to stay up to 90 days, then you must make a border run for another 90 days, this you can do for one year (and 90 days max)

if you want to have a one year extension, have to be married or support (your) thai child, and then you need to show 400k

A question for Lopburi – I guess – as I cannot find it clearly answered in the forum, though it may be there somewhere.

With a multiple non-O, would one apply for the first one-year extension following one’s last entry during the one-year validity of the visa? Am I correct in thinking that the one-year extension would then be calculated from the last entry date?

Hypothetical chronology, based on two border runs or short visits to nearby countries:

31.08.2005 Issue date of multiple non-O, “must be utilized before 30 AUG 2006”

05.09.2005 First entry into Thailand; arrival stamp “permitted to stay until 3 DEC 2005”. Exit 02.12.200 for border run. No re-entry-permit needed for subsequent entry into Thailand.

02.12.2005 Second entry into Thailand; arrival stamp “permitted to stay until 1 MAR 2006”. Exit 01.03.2006. No re-entry-permit needed for subsequent entry into Thailand within validity of visa.

04.03.2006 Third entry into Thailand; arrival stamp “permitted to stay until 1 JUN 2006”.

02.05.2006 Visit to Immigration Bureau, application for one-year extension of stay. Stamp in passport “Application is under consideration. Applicant must report to this office in person on 31 MAY 2006” or some similar text. Re-entry permit required if travel outside Thailand before 31.05.2006.

31.05.06 Visit to Immigration Bureau.

If still pending, new stamp “Application is under consideration…”

If approved, extension stamp in passport “permitted to stay until 03 MAR 2007”; henceforth, obtain re-entry permit every time before exiting Thailand.

If rejected, stamp in passport “must leave the Kingdom until 01 JUN 2006” or some similar text.

Is this how it works?

Edited by maestro

Josh

So Lop , if you acheive a 1 year extension of stay in Bangkok based on being married and having 400,000 bht in a Thai bank account , you dont have to do the 90 day runs ?

Hypothetical chronology, based on two border runs or short visits to nearby countries:

Correction, because my earlier post in no longer editable.

Hypothetical chronology, based on four border runs or short visits to nearby countries:

31.08.2005 Issue date of multiple non-O, “must be utilized before 30 AUG 2006”

05.09.2005 First entry into Thailand; arrival stamp “permitted to stay until 03 DEC 2005”. Exit 02.12.2006 for border run. No re-entry-permit needed for subsequent entry into Thailand.

02.12.2005 Second entry into Thailand; arrival stamp “permitted to stay until 01 MAR 2006”. Exit 01.03.2006. No re-entry-permit needed for subsequent entry into Thailand within validity of visa.

04.03.2006 Third entry into Thailand; arrival stamp “permitted to stay until 01 JUN 2006”. Exit 01.06.2006 for border run. No re-entry-permit needed for subsequent entry into Thailand.

01.06.2006 Fourth entry into Thailand; arrival stamp “permitted to stay until 29 AUG 2006”. Exit 29.08.2006 for border run.

29.08.2006 Fifth entry into Thailand; arrival stamp “permitted to stay until 26 NOV 2006”.

30.10.2006 Visit to Immigration Bureau, application for one-year extension of stay. Stamp in passport “Application is under consideration. Applicant must report to this office in person on 28 NOV 2006” or some similar text. Re-entry permit required if travel outside Thailand before 28.11.2006.

28.11.06 Visit to Immigration Bureau.

If still pending, new stamp “Application is under consideration…”

If approved, extension stamp in passport “permitted to stay until 28 AUG 2007”; henceforth, obtain re-entry permit every time before exiting Thailand.

If rejected, stamp in passport “must leave the Kingdom until 29 NOV 2006” or some similar text.

mastero:

You can apply during the last 30 days of any 90 day entry - you do not have to wait. The last date of entry will the start date for the one year extension of stay.

So your last example entry on 29/8/2006 would have an expiration date of 28/8/2007 if extended for one year - as you say.

Names: Josh

Nationality: Australian

Just got back from Thailand 3 months ago, Was over there for 5 months, Had an awsome time...Planning to goto Thailand in November for a year, My 'O' Visa has expired June 8th, I've got all required documents to apply for another one.

Just wondering, Applying at Sydney Thai Consulate...Is there any required amount of money i need in my bank account that they will check on?

This isn't stated in there check list, but i was just wondering.

I remember when i was in Thailand applying for Immagrant O visa, they required me to transfer $10,000AUS to Thai bank account, which would roughly come to 400,000 Baht.

Let me know if i have confused myself with 2 different things.

Kind regards

Josh

P.S sorry dr_Pat_Pong, Can you delete my other post in other section, this is the right place. Oh and yes i'm Married to a Thai.

ATLEE for my experience Sydney was not helpul to me , Brisbane was .

Consul-General ah Head of Post

Royal Thai Consulate-General

87 Annerley Road

South Brisbane 4102

Tel 07 3846 7771 Fax 07 3846 7772

So Lop , if you acheive a 1 year extension of stay in Bangkok based on being married and having 400,000 bht in a Thai bank account , you dont have to do the 90 day runs ?

Correct.

One caveat - it is based on supporting a Thai wife - not on being married. Your wife is going to be key in any extension of stay and must fill out and sign paperwork each and every time.

Correct.

One caveat - it is based on supporting a Thai wife - not on being married. Your wife is going to be key in any extension of stay and must fill out and sign paperwork each and every time.

Hmmmm , I see . So the fact that my possible future wife is a manager on over 20,000 baht a month probably means that I would not be eligible for a 1 year extension of stay then , even with 400,000 baht in the bank ?

Hmmmm , I see . So the fact that my possible future wife is a manager on over 20,000 baht a month probably means that I would not be eligible for a 1 year extension of stay then , even with 400,000 baht in the bank  ?

You/d still be eligible..........as long as you are supporting her i think what Lop was trying to point out was that it couldnt be a marriage of convienience just to obtain the years extension of stay.

There are other factors that come into account besides the 400k requirement i.e home visits by Immigration to ensure there is a domestic situation.

Correct.

Hmmmm , I see . So the fact that my possible future wife is a manager on over 20,000 baht a month probably means that I would not be eligible for a 1 year extension of stay then , even with 400,000 baht in the bank ?

You are expected to support the wife. If you are of working age (under 50) and have no income you are likely to find it difficult to remain here on a support Thai wife extension as it would be obvious you were not supporting a Thai wife (even with 400k in a bank account). I would not say it can't be done but the basic premise is support (not having a bank account or spouse having a job).