Sneaky Burger King

maesai

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine they don't post in Thai for any Thai guests that might be in USA/Europe/etc. When in Thai read Thai.

I suspect they use 1234567890, just like they usually do in Thailand.

Anyway, I really must pity some of you. For you see, it is all about the bacon double cheeseburger. The food of heroes and kings.

I imagine they don't post in Thai for any Thai guests that might be in USA/Europe/etc. When in Thai read Thai.

I suspect they use 1234567890, just like they usually do in Thailand.

Anyway, I really must pity some of you. For you see, it is all about the bacon double cheeseburger. The food of heroes and kings.

I forgot about the bacon, it's been sooooo long. :licklips:

I paid 320 baht at Swampy for a Whopper cheese/bacon with the upgrade to a large menu at domestic on Saturday morning at 5am. So the prices does not surprise me, Didn't see any specials in Thai only.

For those commenting on why to buy fastfood, if you live somewhere with 200-300 miles+ to the nearst Mickey D or Burger King then you crave it when you get the chance once every 3 months.

• Like 1

I paid 320 baht at Swampy for a Whopper cheese/bacon with the upgrade to a large menu at domestic on Saturday morning at 5am. So the prices does not surprise me, Didn't see any specials in Thai only.

For those commenting on why to buy fastfood, if you live somewhere with 200-300 miles+ to the nearst Mickey D or Burger King then you crave it when you get the chance once every 3 months.

You Don't HAVE to - you can get over it.

Where I stay in Thailand with my missus family, all the food stalls have the prices in Thai and not "Arabic" numerals. So to does my missus family's restaurant....

Maybe they're pulling a scam like BK, because they don't want me to pay when I'm there, and by not being able to read the prices I can't (don't worry I get them back by paying what I think the meal is worth).

And in the same area a HALF bottle of Singha is 200 bht :crazy:.

I haven't had a Whopper with cheese for near 2 years now, still feel the same as the first time l gave up smoking. :unsure:

I saw that too. The fact that the price was in written Thai script was a little like visiting National Parks, where the Thai price is cleverly written in Thai script.

Wow...imagine that...writing signs in Thai in Thailand...how dastardly sneaky of them...surely this practice of posting signs in a country's own language in that country is something only done in Thailand and nowhere else :o:blink:

The point isn't that it was written in Thai Of course it's written in Thai, as should be the entire menu of any restaurant. But those targeting primarily foreigners need to have the signs in at least English as well, given that English is the most common global language, though I would think that with as many Chinese tourists the Kingdom has, it would be a good idea to see much more Chinese written, too. And maybe Japanese and Korean, in Bangkok, then perhaps Malaysian, at least in southern Thailand.

I saw that too. The fact that the price was in written Thai script was a little like visiting National Parks, where the Thai price is cleverly written in Thai script.

Wow...imagine that...writing signs in Thai in Thailand...how dastardly sneaky of them...surely this practice of posting signs in a country's own language in that country is something only done in Thailand and nowhere else :o:blink:

The point isn't that it was written in Thai Of course it's written in Thai, as should be the entire menu of any restaurant. But those targeting primarily foreigners need to have the signs in at least English as well, given that English is the most common global language, though I would think that with as many Chinese tourists the Kingdom has, it would be a good idea to see much more Chinese written, too. And maybe Japanese and Korean, in Bangkok, then perhaps Malaysian, at least in southern Thailand.

In Malaysia they use arabic numerals, and as I recall, in Japan also. And in Korea I think. In China, sometimes Chinese numerals are used, sometimes arabic, as I recall; but I think almost all Chinese tourists would be able to cope with arabic numerals. I've never, for example, seen a pocket calculator that used Chinese numerals.

And once again, reiterating the point that Chinese numbers are not written using place value as a stream of digits, but rather as a sum of multiplications -

八千九百七十八eight thousand nine hundred seventy eight

Not 八九七八 which looks like the phone number 8978 - a random string of digits, and not really a number at all, though we could read it as one if we wished, but the Chinese could not

I expect Thai also uses characters for thousands and hundreds and tens in their numbers, though not in their phone identifiers.

SC.

And once again, reiterating the point that Chinese numbers are not written using place value as a stream of digits, but rather as a sum of multiplications -

Not 八九七八 which looks like the phone number 8978 - a random string of digits, and not really a number at all, though we could read it as one if we wished, but the Chinese could not

I expect Thai also uses characters for thousands and hundreds and tens in their numbers, though not in their phone identifiers.

SC.

No, it works like just Arabic/Indian numbers. 10 symbols, easy to learn.

SC.

DP25 is correct. See here for example:

http://www.learningthai.com/numbers_03.htm

However, when Thais speak about numbers, they do use the multiplicative system; sam roy hah sib gow = 3*100 + 5*10 + 9 = 359.:ph34r:

SC.

So I wonder when the zero arrived? and how they managed without it? It does look very clearly like a new addition.

SC

• 1 year later...

I was hoping not to reveal the supermarket name directly.

Go look at the meat counter for a start, you'll frequently see dual priced items especially on goods getting close to the expiry date.

The lower price is for owners of the SPOT card. I'm English and I've got a card too but still needed my passport when I appled for it.

Thais also need their ID card when applying for it. I have one too, but technically it's my girlfriend's as I didn't have my passport. They just need someones ID to make the card.

Burger King printing the prices of some menu items only in Thai numerals is clearly a scam. Roman numerals have replaced Thai numbers almost everywhere, their main commercial use is in the tourist areas to hide the price of items from foreigners so they won't complain about being robbed.

laugh.png I've never seen Roman numerals in Thai, except on signs for Rama II etccheesy.gif

For those of you who don't know, 1,2,3 etc. Are ARABIC numeralswink.png

I was hoping not to reveal the supermarket name directly.

Go look at the meat counter for a start, you'll frequently see dual priced items especially on goods getting close to the expiry date.

The lower price is for owners of the SPOT card. I'm English and I've got a card too but still needed my passport when I appled for it.

Thais also need their ID card when applying for it. I have one too, but technically it's my girlfriend's as I didn't have my passport. They just need someones ID to make the card.

Burger King printing the prices of some menu items only in Thai numerals is clearly a scam. Roman numerals have replaced Thai numbers almost everywhere, their main commercial use is in the tourist areas to hide the price of items from foreigners so they won't complain about being robbed.

laugh.png I've never seen Roman numerals in Thai, except on signs for Rama II etccheesy.gif

For those of you who don't know, 1,2,3 etc. Are ARABIC numeralswink.png

You posted the exact same thing back in February 2011, but thanks for pointing out the mistake again. Maybe I can get another reminder in 2013?

• Like 1