Thai Police Free Women From Illegal Baby Farm In Bangkok

webfact

Thai police free women from illegal baby farm

BANGKOK, February 24, 2011 (AFP) - Fourteen Vietnamese women, seven of them pregnant, have been rescued from an "illegal and inhuman" surrogate baby breeding ring in Thailand, officials said Thursday.

Police said the company, called Baby 101, received orders by email or via agents from childless couples and in some instances the male partner would provide sperm to inseminate the women.

"This is illegal and inhuman. In some cases it looks like they were raped," said Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit, who added that those carrying children would be cared for in a private hospital.

Vietnamese women, some of whom were offered thousands of dollars per baby, were held in two houses in Bangkok and had their passports confiscated.

The women were freed after they were able to send an email to the Vietnamese embassy, which tipped off Thai authorities.

"We found 13 people in two houses when we searched, we found one more today at the hospital," said Lieutenant colonel Prasat Khemaprasit, of Immigration police. The woman at the hospital had just given birth.

"Nine of the women said they had volunteered to work because they were told they would earn 5,000 dollars for each baby. Four said they were tricked," said Major General Manu Mekmok, commander of investigations for the immigration department.

Police said four Taiwanese, one Chinese and three Myanmar nationals were arrested in connection with the business and charged with illegally working in Thailand.

A 35-year-old Taiwanese woman, who police said ran the operation, was also charged with human trafficking.

Police are investigating whether more women are being held in different locations.

Nearly 40 women, who are identified only by a numbered code, are pictured in various poses on a website, www.baby-1001.com, believed to be run by the company, many of which seem to be around a swimming pool at the same property.

The surrogacy service, from egg and sperm donation to the delivery of a baby, is advertised on the site for $32,000 plus other expenses.

It appears to be aimed at Taiwanese customers and says that because running a commercial surrogacy business in that country is illegal it conducts its operations in other locations.

Offices were listed in Bangkok, Phnom Penh in Cambodia and Vietnam.

The website says Thai women are not used as surrogates and adds "the protection of the law is absolutely (sic)".

It says where the women live "there are security lookout in every entrance, severely control the person and vehicles that pass in and out to the community, the guards routinely patrol around 24 hours a day all year".

Pictures of pregnant women in the house are also shown.

The company describes itself as "eugenics surrogate" and promises no "connection between consignor (client) and surrogate mother".

"We could create the finest procreation condition for your baby, mainly through the efficient embryo refining, only the superior left for implanting," it adds.

Phil Robertson, of New York-based Human Rights Watch said there should be a "full investigation and prosecution to the full extent of the law".

"This is human trafficking in its most perverse and horrific form, sexual exploitation and rape, the mind boggles that something like this could happen," he said.

The Vietnamese embassy was unavailable for comment.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-02-24

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could say unbelievable, but there are evil and desperate people in the world...and the evil reference regards the people arrested.

if ever having surgery here should go check after, if both lungs , kidneys and the liver is still complete........:unsure: ....or they are not doing that business yet ? :ermm::D

Edited by david555

They were...charged with illegally working in Thailand?

Does this mean it would have been legal if they were Thai!!??

Same as the fraudsters in Pattaya working without permits - should have been charged with fraud and illegal wire transfers. These folks should have more serious charges too.

Edited by upena

Things don't exactly work this way that a foreign couple could just come and collect a baby. This group would have to be working with some government agency insider or most likely a hospital(which there are several with surrogacy programs) or worse one of these kinds of sites:

http://www.surrogacythailand.com/how-surrogacy-services-works.html

that advertises surrogate mothers as if they were brood sows.

Charged with illegally working in Thailand!!!

This is all Thailand's finest could manage against the Scandwegians allegedly up to no good in Pattaya the other day... Is this the best the boys in brown can do against these foreign criminals???

I feel sorry for the parents, some of whom I am sure were genuine, that have used this service - now only to find out that their child is the product of such a distasteful business...... sure some people know nad don't care, but I would imagine many did not (paying customers that is).

Obviously some important details are being left out of this story. The story states that the women expected to be surrogates and even agreed to the payment. It doesn't sound like they woke up one day and suddenly noticed that their bellies were larger. They didn't come to Thailand to be a waitress and then were held in bondage. So what went sour? Once they were pregnant did they change their mind and decide to keep the baby themselves, or perhaps negotiate a higher price? What caused the girl( to change her mind and reneg on her contract?

Of course no sane person condones illegal activity however I do believe that surrogacy should be a legal practice subject to the same kind of strict rules as apply to adoption. There are many childless couples in the world who have the means to give a good home and upbringing to a child. It is not about trafficking in people but about allowing a fertile woman to carry your child and give birth to it and at the same time maybe improve that womans life and circumstances. Of course like this it is baby selling but controlled and managed properly it could be about bringing children into loving homes and help to further diversify the worlds population. Sadly in recent years many good couples have been denied the opportunity to rescue babies from situations where they have little hope - because societies PC do gooders believe that cultural heritage is more important than happiness and wellbeing.

cant say that i am shocked-we are talking about thailand here!! a wonderfull country unfortantly poverty is rife expecially those coming from up country

lured into false promises,deceit,. the people who expose these woman should be locked up and throw away the key they make me sick.

instead they will pay big money and escape punishment_whilst these vunerable woman will be back on the streets with their lives left in ruin.

i would like the thai authorities to be able to allow free medical care to the poor-but that will not happan under the currant regime...also free clinics should be avalible for contraception

pills,. many ladies get pregnant leave their children with family and look for their riches elsewhere--thailand need help rather than exploit these innocent victims!!!!

I don't really find much wrong with what they were doing. I believe in reproductive freedom.

The prices they were charging seemed high and they were not paying the surrogates good wages, but isn't it a free market?

There seems to be so many stupid restrictive laws and so much righteous indignation everywhere.

Nobody does anything about street kids on drugs. But if someone tried to put them to work in a factory and feed them, then people get upset about the exploitation.

Look at all aspects of this article. Read the website....

I don't really find much wrong with what they were doing. I believe in reproductive freedom.

The prices they were charging seemed high and they were not paying the surrogates good wages, but isn't it a free market?

There seems to be so many stupid restrictive laws and so much righteous indignation everywhere.

Nobody does anything about street kids on drugs. But if someone tried to put them to work in a factory and feed them, then people get upset about the exploitation.

Bravo.

I'd find the only problem being if the women (or couples) in question were given false promises or cheated regarding the payment.

Exploitation? A 7-11 employee can generate turnovers of hundreds of thousands of Baht every day, and be sent home with a couple of hundreds in her pocket.

With this amount she can't save anything and can't support her parents or sisters.

Where's the outcry?

Getting 5000 USD (=150,000 Baht) for being pregnant can naturally be attractive. Yes, there emotional costs.

There are also emotional costs of seeing your family being unable to even by a computer for a child supposed to develop into a modern world.

The people who arrange it could provide a bit of mutual happiness.

But again, if they cheat the women or couples, crush their fingers.

I feel sorry for the parents, some of whom I am sure were genuine, that have used this service - now only to find out that their child is the product of such a distasteful business...... sure some people know nad don't care, but I would imagine many did not (paying customers that is).

I don't - have you seen what's on that site???

Reasons for having a surrogate child:

1. Choosing a health and young woman, provide the baby a superior environment before birth.

2. Female of consignor can get rid of any inconvenient and uncomfortable situation.

3. The consignor can continue to work without worrying about losing job or business intermission. It is quite suitable for the women who desire to have kids but no time for pregnancy.

4. Unnecessary to fear the pain of birth pangs.

5. Unnecessary to worry about out of shape on your stature, neither to fear the intimacy fading.

6. Embryo selecting can pick up the best quality one to implant into young and health surrogate mother. The finest combination surely make you be more confident to your child.

7. Although getting rid of birth pangs、out of shape, no intermission on business or job. However the baby is 100% blood relationship with you.

8. Under extremely strict control and selecting in all process, it is much higher possibility to have outstanding than others.

9. No descends is somewhat a regret for one’s family, for this, you can successfully carry on.

The selling points seem to be a hassle free pregnancy without losing your figure. Anyone that does it for one of these reasons has a screw loose.

I read the website - it's appears to be aimed at people looking to avoid the inconvenience of being pregnant.

As for 'not much wrong' - if the article is correct, some girls were tricked into it. If the website is correct, they make a point that the girls are kept virtual prisoners during the pregnancy.

Of course, not forgetting that some girls appear to have been raped.

Let's remember the girls had to reach out to their embassy for help - they wouldn't be doing this if they were complicit.

Still - it's a free market... :rolleyes:

Edited by pedro01

When you look at the website, a lot of the girls look Thai. Or maybe that is just me.

http://www.baby-1001.com/eng/model.htm

On looking at the website, they definitely need a proof reader, and seem to have misunderstood the meaning of Eugenics. All comes across as attempting to prey on Chinese cultural shame at not being able to have children.

Based on eugenics point, to dissolve the regret caused by infertility, we provide the best solution for you no matter what problem you have. We could create the finest procreation condition for your baby, mainly through the efficient embryo refining, only the superior left for implanting. For this, your kids will acquire the vantage point initially in their life and you will absolutely be pride of them in the future.

How is your credibility ?

Sincerity、trustworthy and stability are the guidelines to operate this business. No any illegal record existed. During the one and half year time we have well running this business and renowned to our clients, please grant us a opportunity to show you our truthfulness. Babe-101.com is your best choice!

As for the pictures, quite bizarre. It looks like a dating website.