O-A Visa - Applying In Bangkok

Hi All,

I've heard from one of our members that it is NOT possible to obtain an O-A visa anywhere but in your home country. But the Min. of Foreign Affairs website says you can also apply in Bangkok: "Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210" http://www.mfa.go.th...482.php?id=2493

I'm Canadian and planning to apply for the first time this year. Has anyone tried applying in Bangkok?

Thanks!

TG

That's interesting. I had never considered people coming from countries without Thai embassies/consulates. In any case, as most people in the system know, it is completely unnecessary to EVER get an O-A visa to get into the retirement system in Thailand, and those long term residents who started with an O-A have been living here on exactly the same retirement EXTENSIONS as everyone else in the system.

Another visa nerd question related to this, if a country DOES have a Thai embassy does not that mean necessarily that they do offer O-As? I wouldn't be at all surprised if the answer is no, as Thai embassies/consulates often seem to make up their own rules and policies. For example a country like Argentina, how many retired expats do you reckon come from there even though they have a Thai embassy there? Enough for the embassy to bother with dealing with O-As? Just wondering ...

If the OP doesn't want to get an O-A in Canada, it's not a problem. Where will he live in Thailand? If it's in an immigration area office that does change of visa status (from 30 day stamp or tourist visa to O visa, not O-A) for retirement extension applicants, he can do that change at his near home office; if not it can be done in Bangkok and the extension done later at the near home office.

Edited by Jingthing

In Bangkok you would have to apply for one year extension of stay for retirement from Immigration. It is not an O-A visa and does not allow entry. You, if planning to do this, should enter with a non immigrant O single entry visa (non immigrant required for extension) and after 60-90 days here apply for extension of stay. That would require financials plus TM.7/photo/1,900 baht and is approved immediately. Most people do it this way but you can also enter on a tourist or even visa exempt entry and with extra 2,000 baht step convert to non immigrant entry if you can show proof you meet the financials. But this may have to be done in Bangkok and could result in extra fees for embassy or bank letters and the 2k price is the same as a non immigrant O visa from a Consulate so best to arrive with that visa if you can.

If the OP wants to get an O-visa instead of a O-A visa, he should apply at a honorary consulate in Canada. The embassy in Canada only issues O-A visas, not non-O visas based on retirement.

Good information, Mario. A similar situation in the US. The embassy won't give a single entry O for a reason like "exploring retirement in Thailand" (will insist on O-A) but some consulates may. The OP should state his intended home area in Thailand and then can easily find out whether that local immigration office will do the change of visa status (from tourist visa or 30 day stamp) to O in Thailand, as a base for the first annual extension. Sometimes people new to this are confused that there are so many ways to get this started, although in reality that is a GOOD thing.

Edited by Jingthing

If the OP wants to get an O-visa instead of a O-A visa, he should apply at a honorary consulate in Canada. The embassy in Canada only issues O-A visas, not non-O visas based on retirement.

Good information, Mario. A similar situation in the US. The embassy won't give a single entry O for a reason like "exploring retirement in Thailand" (will insist on O-A) but some consulates may. The OP should state his intended home area in Thailand and then can easily find out whether that local immigration office will do the change of visa status (from tourist visa or 30 day stamp) to O in Thailand, as a base for the first annual extension. Sometimes people new to this are confused that there are so many ways to get this started, although in reality that is a GOOD thing.

Thanks all for your helpful input. I'm the OP (Canadian, over 50) and I expect I'll live in Bangkok. I must say it is indeed a bit confusing about the O-A vs. other routes! Please clarify, if I don't bother with O-A, and just get a tourist visa for first entry, can I then be confident of getting a change of status in Bangkok to an O (I assume I'd need to bring a bank statement, med certificate and police certificate)? And then, will that O last for 1 year? If so, when I get an annual extension after the first year, does my visa remain an O? Finally, does anybody see any advantage in the O-A route?

Cheers,

TG

OP, please tell us how you plan to qualify FINANCIALLY (all by income/combo method/or all by banked money). Then you can get much better information. It is very relevant. For example if you don't have a pension/income over 65K baht per month the bank account portion if using the combo method (income plus banked money) or using 800K in the bank only MUST be in a Thai bank account (seasoned for two months for the first extension). So if you are relying partly on the banked money (in other words pension under 65K baht a month) then a big advantage of the O-A to start out is that you show the money in Canada, not Thailand. In Thailand, the money must be in Thailand.

In Thailand, no, you do not need to bring a medical certificate or police report. Those are ONLY for the O-A done in your home country.

Keep in mind if you start with an O-A, and are using banked money to qualify, you eventually will need to show the money in a Thai bank account for continued extensions (later ones the money must be seasoned three months).

I understand the confusion. All these options which are commonly known in Thailand are not something Thai embassies abroad are at all interested in communicating about.

For some people the O-A is the best choice. For others (personally I think most people) starting in Thailand is easier.

Yes in Bangkok if you can qualify for a retirement extension financially you can be quite sure you can get a change of visa status from a tourist visa in Bangkok as the first step in the two step process (the second step is the extension) ... often done the same day. Pensions are proven with an embassy letter obtained at your embassy or consulate in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

OP, please tell us how you plan to qualify FINANCIALLY (all by income/combo method/or all by banked money). Then you can get much better information. It is very relevant. For example if you don't have a pension/income over 65K baht per month the bank account portion if using the combo method (income plus banked money) or using 800K in the bank only MUST be in a Thai bank account (seasoned for two months for the first extension). So if you are relying partly on the banked money (in other words pension under 65K baht a month) then a big advantage of the O-A to start out is that you show the money in Canada, not Thailand. In Thailand, the money must be in Thailand.

In Thailand, no, you do not need to bring a medical certificate or police report. Those are ONLY for the O-A done in your home country.

Keep in mind if you start with an O-A, and are using banked money to qualify, you eventually will need to show the money in a Thai bank account for continued extensions (later ones the money must be seasoned three months).

I understand the confusion. All these options which are commonly known in Thailand are not something Thai embassies abroad are at all interested in communicating about.

For some people the O-A is the best choice. For others (personally I think most people) starting in Thailand is easier.

Yes in Bangkok if you can qualify for a retirement extension financially you can be quite sure you can get a change of visa status from a tourist visa in Bangkok as the first step in the two step process (the second step is the extension) ... often done the same day. Pensions are proven with an embassy letter obtained at your embassy or consulate in Thailand.

Thanks! I'm OP, and I don't have a pension but enough cash in the bank. I bank with HSBC and they're good at starting up foreign accounts & then money can be moved on the internet with a click. So from what you say it sounds like the easiest route is this: move 800K into a Bangkok HSBC account, then come on a tourist visa, apply right away in Bangkok for a change to an O visa (how long would the term be?) then extend. Sound good?

TG

HSBC eh? That isn't something I know about but there MAY be an issue with Thai immigration accepting HSBC as a THAI bank account. The money must be in Thailand in a THAI bank account. I can't answer about HSBC and the mechanics you propose for getting the money to Thailand. If HSBC is problematic, which it MIGHT be, you can easily open a Thai bank account on arrival (good ones for example are Siam Commercial Bank are Bangkok Bank) but in that case you must make sure you understand the WIRING policies of your Canada based bank. Sometimes you need to go into the bank in person in your home country to sign a wiring agreement. Each bank has it's own policies on wiring so you have to ask. Certainly not all of them allow online transfer into Thailand. This is an important detail for you. If you are counting on HSBC and you don't have a backup, you better make sure that option will work for you. HSBC users using their HSBC in Thailand account for immigration, please speak up and help this poster. If you don't get an answer, you could post in the banking section specifically about HSBC customers.

Personally, if I were you, I'd open an account at a REAL Thai bank. Then you won't ever have to worry about issues related to an international bank like HSBC, even if it's accepted at first. But again, I should shut up, not my area of knowledge, sorry.

A tourist visa is for a 60 day stay and the money must be seasoned for two months. If you went with opening an account at a real Thai bank and wired it in once in Thailand, you would likely need to stagger the two steps, change of visa status first, then the extension later on the new O after the money was seasoned over two months.

Edited by Jingthing

The money must be in a bank account located in Thailand - not a Thai bank account. Check Police Order 777/2551. It is clearly stated as such and many people indeed do use HSBC. Not that you may not find an official with the same view if they have never seen before and agree using a Thai bank has advantages. :rolleyes:

The conversion would be a stay of 90 days so plenty of time to get the 60 days in account to qualify for extension of stay - but if already qualify they will often do at the same time and avoid having to get extra sets of financial paperwork.

The money must be in a bank account located in Thailand - not a Thai bank account. Check Police Order 777/2551. It is clearly stated as such and many people indeed do use HSBC. Not that you may not find an official with the same view if they have never seen before and agree using a Thai bank has advantages. :rolleyes:

The conversion would be a stay of 90 days so plenty of time to get the 60 days in account to qualify for extension of stay - but if already qualify they will often do at the same time and avoid having to get extra sets of financial paperwork.

Thanks - that's great. A question I also had is whether it is possible to work if I have an O visa (I know I can't with an O-A). Does anyone know if you can get a work permit while residing with an O?

TG

O-A visa -- no work. Extension based on retirement on base of O-A visa -- no work. Extension based on retirement on base of O visa -- no work. You have been very clear you intend to be on retirement status here. So you can't work. Legally, that is.

BTW, I think there was a report just yesterday that Phuket is not accepting HSBC deposits for extensions. I don't have the link, sorry.

To the OP if you are going to try using HSBC, that's fine, but please consider my advice that you establish a way to SWIFT wire to ANOTHER Thai bank account if you need to, once in Thailand. You might need it later and you don't want to have to fly back to Canada to set it up. Not saying you would with HSBC as they all have different policies, so you need to ask.

Edited by Jingthing

O-A visa -- no work. Extension based on retirement on base of O-A visa -- no work. Extension based on retirement on base of O visa -- no work. You have been very clear you intend to be on retirement status here. So you can't work. Legally, that is.

BTW, I think there was a report just yesterday that Phuket is not accepting HSBC deposits for extensions. I don't have the link, sorry.

To the OP if you are going to try using HSBC, that's fine, but please consider my advice that you establish a way to SWIFT wire to ANOTHER Thai bank account if you need to, once in Thailand. You might need it later and you don't want to have to fly back to Canada to set it up. Not saying you would with HSBC as they all have different policies, so you need to ask.

Thanks, I think I'd set up the HSBC account in Bangkok while in Canada, then come to BKK and if it turns out I need the deposit in a Thai bank, then I'd open an account with one and transfer the cash between HSBC and the Thai bank, both in BKK. I assume that wouldn't be hard, either by wire or just a bank draft. I also assume I can open an account with a Thai bank even though all I have is a tourist visa - otherwise there's a Catch 22 here!

TG

I do not believe HSBC can open an account until you arrive here but ask them. You can open a Thai bank account but may need to visit several branches (some are more friendly than others) and might involve some proof of address from your Embassy of a Thai known to the bank.

Indeed there is a recent report of Phuket not accepting HSBC this year. Many officers have a problem with the statement rather than the normal Thai bank passbook and HSBC has no branch or ATM Pool status so much better to be using a Thai bank (they are just as safe). In the US the important thing is to have a wire transfer agreement on file with your bank (normally must be done in person) and then you would be able to specify accounts by mail/fax/phone/internet or whatever system they use later without a personal appearance. Expect similar in Canada.

I agree with Lopburi completely as above. I think the OP should bite the bullet and plan NOT to use HSBC in Thailand, and prepare for that before leaving Canada by understanding the wiring mechanics and setting up permission beforehand if needed. Retirement is for the long term; be proactive. Kasikorn Bank is usually the easiest to open an account for a foreigner but personally I would suggest Siam Commercial Bank. BTW, you will be opening a passbook savings account (very retro that) not a current account and you won't be getting checks. Also agree, if one branch says no, try another. Go for larger branches and try to find ones where some staff speak English. It can sometimes help to bring along a Thai person to help with opening. Your question about transferring between a Thai based HSBC account and a bank like SCB, yes of course that can be done. However, you aren't going to like this, immigration may possibly not like to see that. While there isn't an official rule enforced about this now (this has been enforced at some times in the past) your officer MAY ask why the money in the Thai bank account was not wired in from abroad (they can tell by a code in the passbook). I am not saying that would or wouldn't be a real problem (many would probably say not), but it's hard to predict the exact reaction of a specific officer on the day you go in.

Also keep in mind once in the retirement extension system here, you need to do the same thing every year (going to immigration for a NEW extension). Another reason to have your wiring setup from Canada fully established.

Edited by Jingthing

Of course if you don't want to have to worry about showing money in Thailand for a few years, you can get a multiple entry O-A in Canada and use a reentry before expiry of the initial visa to get an additional "free" year, but eventually you will have to show the money in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing