Thai Language Test For Permanent Residency

Just a very quick note because I must leave for a wedding, but I finally had my Thai language test for my permanent residency application yesterday. I had applied in 2009 and was told they were way behind but that trying to complete at least the cases that applied under the "special case" category before the end of 2010. Yesterday I was told that they interview about 30 people per day, but I don't know how often the sessions are held. I also noted that there were at least three in my group who were in the business category, so it obviously was not strictly limited to the "special case" folks.

Last August I was told by one of the Immigration officers (a supervisor) that the interview would last about 30 minutes but would be easy and would mostly consist of questions like "name three fruits" and "what is your favorite Thai food." I was told that they were looking for comprehension and did not want the interviewee to sit and stare blankly while they paused to understand the question. In other words, they wanted mostly to see that the applicant was comfortable with simple Thai language. I was also told that I would be videotaped giving 3 minute introduction of myself in Thai before a panel of 7-8 officers fired the questions. I was told I must come alone and that zero English would be allowed.

I arrived one hour early, was given a que number, and we were taken in order of our que number rather than appointment. I was taken into a room with three other applicants and we each signed some papers and had our photo taken in order. I was surprised to see that the officer helped the applicants as needed by explaining in English (for example, "please use all capital letters to write your name in this space").

Next we were brought into a second room where the day's applicants were all sitting in their finest. There were 27 of us that day.

After a short time a second lady came in and said for us all to relax because the interview would only take about five minutes each and would consist entirely of "chit chat." She pointed to a small bowl with some candy and suggested we take some if we liked.

The fellow immediately before me was an Indian about 15 years old. I saw that he needed a little assistance in English with the first papers, so I am guessing that he was not super-proficient in Thai, but maybe just OK. When he came out of the interview he said it was easy and consisted mostly of questions about his school.

In my case I walked into the interview room to find 7-8 black-suited Thai men and women at a dais with a white tablecloth. There was a video camera present and I assume it was running. They told me to sit down at a table across from them. Each of the interviewers had what appeared to be a summary sheet of my application, which evidently indicated that I taught at Chula (probably because I had a recommendation from the president). Their first question was when did I graduate from Chula, and I had to explain that I actually graduated in the USA. Other questions were about where I lived, did I have a Thai wife, and other basic things. I felt I had to steer them a bit to bring out my best prepared sentences, and they were willing to follow. The most complicated question was basically asking what good things ("tom boon's") I have done for Thailand, and the questioner actually used some English to clarify his question.

When I answered some of the questions, either my Thai grammar was wrong or my pronunciation was off because some interviewers would look puzzled, and turn to their neighbor who would explain. Each time this would be followed by an "Oh!" or "Ahh!" and a smile and nod. They seemed interested and maybe even a little pleased that my wife came from Isaan and they Loved that I had a child. They wanted to know how many people I lived with. They did not like that I mostly spoke English at home (I explained that my wife was an English teacher) but that all went away when I explained that we wanted the baby tho speak Thai and so now I was studying Thai avidly. They smiled broadly and nodded their heads together in approval over that. When I added that the 21 month old child also speaks Isaan, they all laughed and said that I was finished and I could go.

Of course I do not yet know the results of the test, but I believe that it went fairly well. Afterward I was told that I needed to get some papers in my application certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, so certainly they did not think my application was dead in the water at that point. My sense is that if you reach the point of the Thai test, they really want to see that you pass. I certainly have to say they were very gentle with me.

At the end I asked how long it would be until I got the results and was told that it might go to the Minister as early as August. They said the Immigration Department would finish their recommendations probably in May. Then there would be a small meeting at the Ministry in June followed by a big meeting in July and then if all went well it would go to the Minister in August. From there it could be days "or maybe a year."

I asked how the upcoming elections might effect things and she shrugged. She said it could slow things down, but could also speed them up. We had to wait to find out.

Fantastic report, Inquisitive.I'm sure many are very grateful to you for this.I was particularly impressed that you stressed the kindness and politeness of the interviewing panel - so typical of Thailand but not often commented on in the context of Immigration officials.Good luck with your application.

Sorry for my dumbness but you are applying for "permanent residency" or for "Thai Citizenship?" (I'm a little confused on this. This is where they only allow a few every year and you must have been working in Thailand for 3 or 4 years strait etc etc."?

The reason I ask is that I know if I was to give up my citizenship from Canada and become a Thai citizen, I would lose 25% of my two Canadian pensions AND 25% of my Union pension in Canada.

Not that I would ever want to become a Thai citizen or for that reason can't understand wy anyone would, but I am just curious to learn more about this.

BTW, Good luck with your application and very good informative post.

Sorry for my dumbness but you are applying for "permanent residency" or for "Thai Citizenship?" (I'm a little confused on this. This is where they only allow a few every year and you must have been working in Thailand for 3 or 4 years strait etc etc."?

The reason I ask is that I know if I was to give up my citizenship from Canada and become a Thai citizen, I would lose 25% of my two Canadian pensions AND 25% of my Union pension in Canada.

Not that I would ever want to become a Thai citizen or for that reason can't understand wy anyone would, but I am just curious to learn more about this.

BTW, Good luck with your application and very good informative post.

Do you really need to adhere to only one passport?

There are several farang who own more than one passports and one nationalities....

Can you not do the same....? just wonder.... B)

This is for the permanent residency visa only. I understand the bar to be much higher for citizenship, including such things as singing the national anthem.

Some people want Thai citizenship because they want freedom to live and work here permanently, but if you prefer the comforts of the welfare state then of course you'll never understand why anyone else would want to become a citizen.

Edited by Time Traveller

The most complicated question was basically asking what good things ("tom boon's") I have done for Thailand, and the questioner actually used some English to clarify his question.

The Thai word used in the interview.... ทำบุญ pronounced in English as.... Tum-Boon

which means giving alms, doing charity, participating in givings.... as giving money inside an envelop in a funeral....

as many are giving or Tum-Boon at the former PM, his excellency Chuan LeekPai's mother MAE-TUAN (mother Tuan) funeral in Trung....

Her cremation will be tomorrow late afternoon, Saturday late afternoon, February 12, 2011 at the temple adjacent to his excellency residence

where all Tum-Boon have been taken place there.... There have been over 10,000 mourners each day since her return from Bangkok to Trung.

And the flame used for her cremation is officially granted by the Thai Royal family....

If any wishes to go to Trung, there have been several additional flights added to accommodate this occasion.

Our deepest sorrow and condolence to my friend Chuan and all the family members. :Thaiflag:

• ributes for Chuan's outstanding Mum Thuan
    The opposition Pheu Thai Party paid its tribute yesterday to the late Thuan Leekpai, 99, mother of former premier Chuan, chairman of the ruling Democrat Party's ...
    www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/03/06/national/​Tributes-for-Chuans-outstanding-Mum-Thuan...

• Chuan mourns loss of his mother-mentor
    Democrat Party chief adviser Chuan Leekpai is mourning the loss of his constant support during his 42-year political career - his mother Thuan. She died of natural ...
    www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/224477/​chuan-mourns-loss-of-his-mother-mentor

• CHUAN LEEKPAI Biography - Polititians
    Biography of CHUAN LEEKPAI , Polititians. Name: Chuan Leekpai ... ... CHUAN LEEKPAI Name: Chuan Leekpai ...
    www.findbiography.org/polititians/​chuan-leekpai

Stupid me....

Mae-Tuan's cremation date should read March 12, 2011 my humble apology everyone.

The most complicated question was basically asking what good things ("tom boon's") I have done for Thailand, and the questioner actually used some English to clarify his question.

The Thai word used in the interview.... ทำบุญ pronounced in English as.... Tum-Boon

which means giving alms, doing charity, participating in givings.... as giving money inside an envelop in a funeral....

as many are giving or Tum-Boon at the former PM, his excellency Chuan LeekPai's mother MAE-TUAN (mother Tuan) funeral in Trung....

Her cremation will be tomorrow late afternoon, Saturday late afternoon, February 12, 2011 at the temple adjacent to his excellency residence

where all Tum-Boon have been taken place there.... There have been over 10,000 mourners each day since her return from Bangkok to Trung.

And the flame used for her cremation is officially granted by the Thai Royal family....

If any wishes to go to Trung, there have been several additional flights added to accommodate this occasion.

Our deepest sorrow and condolence to my friend Chuan and all the family members. :Thaiflag:

• ributes for Chuan's outstanding Mum Thuan
    The opposition Pheu Thai Party paid its tribute yesterday to the late Thuan Leekpai, 99, mother of former premier Chuan, chairman of the ruling Democrat Party's ...
    www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/03/06/national/​Tributes-for-Chuans-outstanding-Mum-Thuan...

• Chuan mourns loss of his mother-mentor
    Democrat Party chief adviser Chuan Leekpai is mourning the loss of his constant support during his 42-year political career - his mother Thuan. She died of natural ...
    www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/224477/​chuan-mourns-loss-of-his-mother-mentor

• CHUAN LEEKPAI Biography - Polititians
    Biography of CHUAN LEEKPAI , Polititians. Name: Chuan Leekpai ... ... CHUAN LEEKPAI Name: Chuan Leekpai ...
    www.findbiography.org/polititians/​chuan-leekpai

Stupid me....

Mae-Tuan's cremation date should read March 12, 2011 my humble apology everyone.

Please do not clutter up this Thread with totaly off topic subject matter - and incorrect translations of ทำบุญ by the way .

The Thread is about the Thai Language test for Permanent Residency - only that.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone