Ford Ranger T6 2.2 Tdci

My guess? Later this year we'll see a 3.2L doublecab 4x4 XLT with dual zone climate, cruise and steering wheel audio controls, and it'll be their (just) under-1M top-spec. Of the Thai poeple looking for a top-spec pickup, very, very few will want the rollbar, roof rails and escpecially the box rails on the Wildtrak (which make it completely useless for most use-cases) - The WT is just a good profit-maker for taking advantage of the early-adopters.

I also expect we'll see a single cab XL 3.2L 6MT (base-spec pickups with big engines have very good sales in TH so cannot be ignored), and at least a couple more grades with the 3.2L.

No sense in announcing them when they just can't be delivered yet though... And personally, if I was a Ford product planner, I'd keep the 3.2L XLT as the ace up my sleeve to help steal some thunder from the launch of the 190HP Hilux refresh wink.png

What do you think are the chances of a 2.2L XLT hi-rider with a few extra goodies being made available?

The 3.2L XLT version I'm speculating on will need to have a few additional features over the 2.2L XLT, not just a bigger engine - i.e. you always want to position your variants so there's at least a few compelling features worth paying more for (one feature alone is often just not compelling enough to get the higher value sale).

That doesn't mean the 2.2L version will never see improvements though - when the first minor change rolls in (sometime in 2013 is most likley the timing) I would expect a few of the Wildtrak features to start filtering down into the XLT range, and maybe features like Bluetooth,and cruise making their way into the 2.2L XLT. The W/T will likely get a few things it's missing at that stage too, notably GPS, HID/Xenon lights, LED tailights and rear seat entertainment.

As for safety features making it into lower models (i.e. side/curtain airbags, traction/stability control etc), my guess is we'll start seeing those becoming more sought-after features around 2014-2017, as the buying market in TH becomes more matured/knowledgable.

This ia all just me speculating though, so take it all with a few grains of salt wink.png

Th buyers are already aware of the active safety features, and want them. In addition they cost nothing to manufactor

passive safety features over 2 airbags, I think your time frame is to optimistic. I d give it another decade before one million baht pickup buyers want to ad 50k baht for more airbags

Ford tried 4 airbags in the old Ranger for 5 years, didnt do much to sales

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree would order also one...

I took the pictures on 28 of August.... And it was so promising... X cab 2 wheel drive 3.2 auto... with all the nice gimmicks... But I placed my order on the BT-50... In Germany even the smallest single cab has steering remote...

The pic was taken where?? The 3.2 is only available to order in the Wildtrack model for now, and that was not a wildtrack interior either from the looks of the seats. Looks like a combo of parts added to look like something it ain't!!

An interior comparison on the Ranger, Isuzu, Mazda and Chevrolet;

post-80555-0-60155100-1327903583_thumb.j

1. Mazda, over ranger due to larger radio control buttons, horisontal vents and a wider cockpit illusion

2. Ranger

3. Chev

4. Izu, chev over izu as I find touch screens not practical in a car

all 4 lack somewhere to rest hand while operating soundsystem, as in Vigo, needed when going gets bumpy and at high speed. Much of it solved by voicecontrol and no more cd

My guess? Later this year we'll see a 3.2L doublecab 4x4 XLT with dual zone climate, cruise and steering wheel audio controls, and it'll be their (just) under-1M top-spec. Of the Thai poeple looking for a top-spec pickup, very, very few will want the rollbar, roof rails and escpecially the box rails on the Wildtrak (which make it completely useless for most use-cases) - The WT is just a good profit-maker for taking advantage of the early-adopters.

I also expect we'll see a single cab XL 3.2L 6MT (base-spec pickups with big engines have very good sales in TH so cannot be ignored), and at least a couple more grades with the 3.2L.

No sense in announcing them when they just can't be delivered yet though... And personally, if I was a Ford product planner, I'd keep the 3.2L XLT as the ace up my sleeve to help steal some thunder from the launch of the 190HP Hilux refresh wink.png

What do you think are the chances of a 2.2L XLT hi-rider with a few extra goodies being made available?

The 3.2L XLT version I'm speculating on will need to have a few additional features over the 2.2L XLT, not just a bigger engine - i.e. you always want to position your variants so there's at least a few compelling features worth paying more for (one feature alone is often just not compelling enough to get the higher value sale).

That doesn't mean the 2.2L version will never see improvements though - when the first minor change rolls in (sometime in 2013 is most likley the timing) I would expect a few of the Wildtrak features to start filtering down into the XLT range, and maybe features like Bluetooth,and cruise making their way into the 2.2L XLT. The W/T will likely get a few things it's missing at that stage too, notably GPS, HID/Xenon lights, LED tailights and rear seat entertainment.

As for safety features making it into lower models (i.e. side/curtain airbags, traction/stability control etc), my guess is we'll start seeing those becoming more sought-after features around 2014-2017, as the buying market in TH becomes more matured/knowledgable.

This ia all just me speculating though, so take it all with a few grains of salt wink.png

I wonder how many sales they will gain/lose with this stratergy.

I was waiting (deposit paid) for the Ranger for a long time and was convinced I would buy the 2.2 Auto 2x4 loaded.

As you cannot buy it loaded I will now be taking my money to Mitsu and buying the Pajero Sport.

1. Mazda, over ranger due to larger radio control buttons, horisontal vents and a wider cockpit illusion

2. Ranger

3. Chev

4. Izu, chev over izu as I find touch screens not practical in a car

all 4 lack somewhere to rest hand while operating soundsystem, as in Vigo, needed when going gets bumpy and at high speed. Much of it solved by voicecontrol and no more cd

It just show how individual perceptions are so varied. I though Isuzu had the best looking interior. Then again you bought a Mzda and I'll most likely by the D-Max V-Cross. Touch screen works a treat and the screen is a good size for the front/rear view cameras.

I have no love at all for the Colorado interior - the Isuzu version with the silver accents and the touchscreen breaking up the monotony is an improvement, but the whole thing is just devoid of cohesion and style to me. I dig the Ranger interior, from a "it looks tough and chunky" POV (but I do have to say I'm no fan of the chair fabric on the XLT models). The BT-50 looks great IMHO, but I can also see why some would prefer the inside of their truck to look "truckish", and go for the Ranger wink.png

I wonder how many sales they will gain/lose with this stratergy.

I was waiting (deposit paid) for the Ranger for a long time and was convinced I would buy the 2.2 Auto 2x4 loaded.

As you cannot buy it loaded I will now be taking my money to Mitsu and buying the Pajero Sport.

They probably won't lose many IMHO. It normally takes at least 12-18 months for a new model on the market in TH before the buyers come "on steam", and the early adopters will pay for W/T if they want to full gamut of features. Also, the 4-door XLT 6AT is an outright bargain - so those that won't step up will happily save some Baht and move to it, IMHO. Except for you that is :)

Let's not also forget that the reason why TH doesn't have the 3.2L version yet is because TH production can't keep up with demand from Austalia - who've had the 3.2L for 4 months now....

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

It just show how individual perceptions are so varied.

Yep smile.png

At least it keeps the place interesting biggrin.png

...agree with that also....for me the interior of B-50 was a disappointment when seeing it in person,looked better on the photos....Ranger looks OK in the Wildtrak...but I really like all the extra compartments in and under the dash of Isuzu(Chevy as well),keeps the all the small staff hidden (like my wife's make-up),which I always find trashed around the cabin :)

It just show how individual perceptions are so varied.

Yep smile.png

At least it keeps the place interesting biggrin.png

...agree with that also....for me the interior of B-50 was a disappointment when seeing it in person,looked better on the photos....Ranger looks OK in the Wildtrak...but I really like all the extra compartments in and under the dash of Isuzu(Chevy as well),keeps the all the small staff hidden (like my wife's make-up),which I always find trashed around the cabin smile.png

bet the automakers like we do not like it all same, the reason they can market same vehicles under different brand names

what looks cheapish in the BT50 and Ranger are the door sides, but driving it I dont see them, and as long as theyr not ratteling I dont caregiggle.gif

This past Saturday I drove down Srinakarin in Bangna and stopped to have a look at the Chevy, Mazda, Ford and Izuzu. They all had units in stock, and I have to say I liked them all, pretty much inside and out, I would be happy driving any of them, which just makes it that much more difficult to actually pull the trigger on a particular model.

The Chevy was the 2.5L 2WD X-Cab LT, and it looked great in bright silver. The interior was very nice and I liked the all black/charcoal/gray color scheme, but in the more expensive units I think they go to a tan and black, which I’m not sure I’d like. At THB 648K, I don’t think you could go wrong with this, and the hottie that was following me assured me continuously that the sky was the limit as far as all the free crap one could get.

Stopped at Ford next, and they had the 4Dr Ranger in true red, which would have been my first color choice, but I’m not so sure now. I think the black one I saw in Chiang Rai looked nicer. I like the Ranger inside and out, but the limited number of configurations really bugs.

Big Surprise at Mazda when I really liked the looks of the exterior. I hated it looking at it online, but as others here have indicated, you really owe it to yourself to see the hard copy if you’re in the market for a pickup. I say the FSC 4X2 2.2 S Mid-Power in white that looked great, and a 4dr model in a blue I did not like. I liked the interiors in both, and at THB 589K, the white one looked to be a bargain. It is interesting that you get body-colored bumper on the lower model, and chrome on the up model. I would think it should be the other way around.

Note: If interested in the Mazda 2, they had about 10 of them there. I’d love to justify buying one of these. They had them in white, red and blue. The white and red looked great, I didn’t like the blue. I believe it’s the same blue as the Ranger, and what looked great to me on the pickup, just didn’t work on the M2.

Made the Isuzu dealer next. They had about six or eight units in different configurations, and I pretty much like them all, although I don’t like two-tone black-tan on the non-Highlander models. Given the market share and dealer network could not really go wrong here. I’m thinking of the V-Cross SPC 2.5 VGS Z in silver, which I think is a good buy at THB 732K.

Note: The two-tone leather in the “Prestige” models looks much better on the hoof than in the photos.

Also stopped at the Nissan dealer and while these looked to be a good value, I don’t really like the look. That March is a cute little bug though, and kind of nice inside.

Disclaimer, I’m probably biased, my last two pickups were Isuzu, I still have them both, and they are both still going strong. My daddy always told me, that when you’re talking cars, “Don’t ask someone that HAS one, ask somebody that HAD one.cowboy.gif

This past Saturday I drove down Srinakarin in Bangna and stopped to have a look at the Chevy, Mazda, Ford and Izuzu.

Thanks that was a really good post.

So that Mazda FSC 4X2 2.2 S Mid-Power

Is that the S base model mentioned in this threads 1st post?

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__5002825

Thanks

Edited by flying

This past Saturday I drove down Srinakarin in Bangna and stopped to have a look at the Chevy, Mazda, Ford and Izuzu.

Thanks that was a really good post.

So that Mazda FSC 4X2 2.2 S Mid-Power

Is that the S base model mentioned in this threads 1st post?

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__5002825

Thanks

It must have been. It looked nice in white, but I'm a little surprised I didn't notice the crank-up windows when I looked at it.

It must have been. It looked nice in white, but I'm a little surprised I didn't notice the crank-up windows when I looked at it.

Thanks I enjoy reading impressions like yours where you went & checked them all out physically.

Only wish you had hit Toyota too ;)

I did not look at the Toyota as I want something on a new platform. Toyota builds a fine product, I’ve had a few the last one was a ’00 Hilux Tiger 3L M/T that I replaced with an ’03 4WD 4DR 3L Isuzu, I shopped around then, and I liked the Isuzu much better. I replaced the ’03 Isuzu with an ’09 Isuzu 4DR 3L Highlander, and liked that much better than the ’03, primarily because of the huge increase in power, but the remote lock and all that stuff in nice as well. I also liked the looks inside and out over the ’09 Toyota, and the fact that they did not offer the PreRunner with AT at that time.

I’ll look at the Toyota again when I replace whatever I get this year in ’15. Again, I have nothing against Toyota (I loved my ’87 FX16) the Vigo is just a little too dated right now for my taste.

Tough choice this year with all the new models, they all look good, and there is not enough of a difference in price to really sway me one way or the other.

I did not look at the Toyota as I want something on a new platform. Toyota builds a fine product, I’ve had a few the last one was a ’00 Hilux Tiger 3L M/T that I replaced with an ’03 4WD 4DR 3L Isuzu, I shopped around then, and I liked the Isuzu much better. I replaced the ’03 Isuzu with an ’09 Isuzu 4DR 3L Highlander, and liked that much better than the ’03, primarily because of the huge increase in power, but the remote lock and all that stuff in nice as well. I also liked the looks inside and out over the ’09 Toyota, and the fact that they did not offer the PreRunner with AT at that time.

I’ll look at the Toyota again when I replace whatever I get this year in ’15. Again, I have nothing against Toyota (I loved my ’87 FX16) the Vigo is just a little too dated right now for my taste.

Tough choice this year with all the new models, they all look good, and there is not enough of a difference in price to really sway me one way or the other.

Thanks for that info....I am not up on any of the *import* trucks as I am still in the US.

We usually only spend 3 months a year max in Thailand. But planning to move permanent to Thailand this year.

So I am starting to look now which truck I would get. Here I have a Dodge Ram 1500 bought new in 2004 never a problem.

Thanks again for the tips though & good to hear the ones you looking at were all close in quality/price

Edited by flying

Hi guys

Has anyone driven enough in the new 2,2 l Highlander/Wildstreak to tell me if the engine is powerfull enough for this truck ?

How is the general feeling of the truck compared to Toyota Hilux or Mitsubishi Triton ?

Thanks

I've had the 2.2 6AT for 2 weeks now and very happy. The 2.2 actually has more power, and is more economical, than the outgoing 2.5 and together with the 6 speed (manual or auto) gearbox it feels plenty. Sure, it's a big truck but the 2.2 has enough power, I will rarely have a heavy load in the back, doubt I'll ever tow anything and won't be dragracing or attempting world speed records so don't need any more. Power is fine whether pulling away from lights in first or cruising at 140kph and the gearbox is adaptive so adjusts to each driver. Triton has more power but is fugly and not really worth mentioning the Hilux, so boring. The only other options I looked at were the new Isuzu and the new Chevrolet but both were quite a lot more expensive for similar spec and neither looked anywhere near as nice as the Ford or had as much interior space. Go with the Ranger, you won't be disappointed!

Seems the 2.2 engine is a good combination with automatic transmission.

How big is the economical difference between 2.2 and 3.2 engine in the real life?

As I said you have to see the BT-50 in real.

I like to buy a ranger but 3.2 and not the Wildtrak, I like the clean look from the xlt, but no 3.2 available, no remote on the steering on the xlt.

I like the D max but old engine and auto.

The colorado has the worst interior.

And if you compare the interior, the mazda wins the race.

I will order a Bt 50 in black, take the siderails of, change the chrome on the mirrors and grill to black.

15cm lower and 22" on. race chip will bring 50 horses with 200kg less then a wildtrak.

Would be fun to drive... With the v8 sound from the 5 cylinder... That's what the oz magazines are saying.

Is the not contemporary Isuzu-5-speed automatic transmission a practical disadvantage, or could it just be more durable?

Hi guys

Has anyone driven enough in the new 2,2 l Highlander/Wildstreak to tell me if the engine is powerfull enough for this truck ?

How is the general feeling of the truck compared to Toyota Hilux or Mitsubishi Triton ?

Thanks

I've had the 2.2 6AT for 2 weeks now and very happy. The 2.2 actually has more power, and is more economical, than the outgoing 2.5 and together with the 6 speed (manual or auto) gearbox it feels plenty. Sure, it's a big truck but the 2.2 has enough power, I will rarely have a heavy load in the back, doubt I'll ever tow anything and won't be dragracing or attempting world speed records so don't need any more. Power is fine whether pulling away from lights in first or cruising at 140kph and the gearbox is adaptive so adjusts to each driver. Triton has more power but is fugly and not really worth mentioning the Hilux, so boring. The only other options I looked at were the new Isuzu and the new Chevrolet but both were quite a lot more expensive for similar spec and neither looked anywhere near as nice as the Ford or had as much interior space. Go with the Ranger, you won't be disappointed!

Seems the 2.2 engine is a good combination with automatic transmission.

How big is the economical difference between 2.2 and 3.2 engine in the real life?

As I said you have to see the BT-50 in real.

I like to buy a ranger but 3.2 and not the Wildtrak, I like the clean look from the xlt, but no 3.2 available, no remote on the steering on the xlt.

I like the D max but old engine and auto.

The colorado has the worst interior.

And if you compare the interior, the mazda wins the race.

I will order a Bt 50 in black, take the siderails of, change the chrome on the mirrors and grill to black.

15cm lower and 22" on. race chip will bring 50 horses with 200kg less then a wildtrak.

Would be fun to drive... With the v8 sound from the 5 cylinder... That's what the oz magazines are saying.

Is the not contemporary Isuzu-5-speed automatic transmission a practical disadvantage, or could it just be more durable?

There is no reason to assume Aisins 5auto as used by Izu and many others is more durable than Getrags 6auto as used in Rnager. Both have excellent track record for several years

A bigger engine does not necessarily mean poorer fuel economy. A small engine that’s loaded-up can burn more fuel than a larger engine with the same load.

One dealer told me that neither of the two machines in city traffic under 10litres/100 km are to drive.

The consumption advantage of the smaller machine should therefore be realized only on the long haul.

These info is too vague...

There is no reason to assume Aisins 5auto as used by Izu and many others is more durable than Getrags 6auto as used in Rnager. Both have excellent track record for several years

I'm suspicious of "innovations", so I thought that Isuzu has a compelling reason to use the 5-speed automatic, but if it is only a economy measure... This is a shame because I liked the Isuzu.

Suspect Mazda and Chervolet also use the proven Getrag 6-Auto.

Edited by albhol

I'm suspicious of "innovations", so I thought that Isuzu has a compelling reason to use the 5-speed automatic, but if it is only a economy measure... This is a shame because I liked the Isuzu.

BT-50 and Ranger 6AT is a ZF design manufactured under license by Ford, and the Colorado 6AT is a GM unit. All are well proven designs, used in dozens of different makes and models.

This may sound crazy, but it could also be that the torque band on the larger engine is wider so the Isuzu might not need the sixth speed.

I know my ’09 3L AT Isuzu averages 9.64 kpl and will run 170 kph (clocked with a GPS)

BT-50 and Ranger 6AT is a ZF design manufactured under license by Ford, and the Colorado 6AT is a GM unit. All are well proven designs, used in dozens of different makes and models.

GM has had great AT for a long time...

GM has had great AT for a long time...

Yep, especially those AT's from the early 2000's, which were a collabration with Ford (yes, really) :)

I have read dusins of places about Ford using a Getrag in Ranger, but always found that info od as traditionally Getrag only has made small expensive series and stayed away from the volume market.

Well, ZF is Europes largest autotranny maker, so doesnt really change much.. They often handle much more dieseltourque than Ranger puts out

as for fuel, my experience with small contra larger engines of similar design, is at 80-120kmh steady speed the small one wins. But pushed hard like maintaining 160kmh crusingspeed or off road, the larger is equal or less on fuel. In the case of Ranger/BT50, with identical autos and rearends, my average will probably be less with 3,2 engine, as I go kinda fast