Renting A Motor Bike In Thailand.

up2you2

Where can I rent a motor bike legally in Thailand?

You can't, believe it or not there is a Thai law prohibiting the rental of motor bikes.

Can I expect that there will be crash helmets provided that meet Thai safety standards?

1,000 fake TISI standard helmets were confiscated from a Bangkok factory last month:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/228098/police-seize-badly-made-kid-helmets

Are genuine TISI Thai approved crash helmets exported internationally?

Not as far as I know.

If the bike is stolen will I have to pay for a new one?

Depends on your negotiating skills.

In the event of an accident does the bike include first class fully comprehensive cover?

No.

Does it include third party property damage insurance?

No

Does it include any accident cover, maiming or death cover?

The Thai Government Compulsory Third Party Government (CTPL) I think will hardly be honoured in the event of a tourist rental accident.

Will my holiday travel insurance cover me whilst driving a bike?

Probably not.

Has the bike been legally registered and road taxed?

How are you going to be able to confirm this.

In the event of a serious accident can you provide a motor bike license along with an international motor bike license?

Will my Passport be confiscated by the Police after a serious accident?

Probably.

What's the most common cause of serious injury and death on Phuket island?

No statistics are available as to the number of motorbike injuries sustained by visitors to Phuket but the number is substantial.

Where in the world is it most likely that British tourists will die in motorbike accidents?

According to the British government, 269 Britons died Thailand last year, most in motorbike accidents. That data was just released by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), who claim that Thailand is the most dangerous vacation spot in the world for Brits because of motorbike accidents resulting in death or hospitalization. Though the FCO data only looked at incidents involving British citizens, tourists from other countries are just as vulnerable to accidents while in vacation.

Do you feel adequately qualified to drive on Asian roads where different laws, customs and driving manners are practiced?

Priority a gauche, priority a droite and priority trop droite.

Where in the world is it most likely that British tourists will die in motorbike accidents?

According to the British government, 269 Britons died Thailand last year, most in motorbike accidents. That data was just released by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), who claim that Thailand is the most dangerous vacation spot in the world for Brits because of motorbike accidents resulting in death or hospitalization. Though the FCO data only looked at incidents involving British citizens, tourists from other countries are just as vulnerable to accidents while in vacation.

Usually in holiday hotspots, drink related, speeding and no helmets.

Do you feel adequately qualified to drive on Asian roads where different laws, customs and driving manners are practiced?

Yep, have done for a number of years...with care and caution for my own safety, not whilst drunk and always with a good quality helmet.

Edited by Tafia

I have to agree with Tafia.

Been riding bikes here for near on 7 years. Most of those accidents in Phuket involve alcohol and sheer stupidity.

I never had an accident (touch wood) but I ride defensively.

There are countries with much higher motorbike fatalities than Thailand.

Nigeria and South Africa spring to mind and I have worked in both.

Edited by Phatcharanan