Need Utility Bill To Verify Account

Avocadoandbacon

I am in Chiang Mai. One of my online financial accounts needs proof that It is me logging in from Thailand.

The only evidence they will accept is some type of utility bill in my name with a thailand address. The address must be in English.

I am now staying in a guest house, so nothing is in my name.

Any suggestions? What would be the quickest way to get this documentation and remaining in guesthouse?

Cell phone is possible I guess. I don't have one. Do they send out bills for those?

Get a letter of residency from immigrations or embassy.

That is really your only option. Utility bills are in Thai only. You won't be able to get a monthly account with a mobile phone provider. It used to be that Immigration required other than a tourist visa to get a letter or residency. I've heard reports of people getting one with a tourist visa recently. But you will need a rental contract from the guest house to take with you to Immigration to get the letter of residency.

Have you tried "calling" them? Use Skype or any other means by phone. Call the "Security department" for the company you are having an issue with. After all you are the only one with the correct answers for any of the questions they'll ask. That would be the simplest.

Works for me with my credit cards if there is an issue.

Have you tried "calling" them? Use Skype or any other means by phone. Call the "Security department" for the company you are having an issue with. After all you are the only one with the correct answers for any of the questions they'll ask. That would be the simplest.

Works for me with my credit cards if there is an issue.

Yes, they contacted me. My account is frozen until I can get them the proof they asked for (bills).

Next I will ask them if they will accept the letter of residency.

The letter of residency from Thai immigration is in the Thai language.

Question for the OP -- is this something you have to present every time you go into a different country or just something you have to do to activate the account?

If it's the former, then I'd really question why it makes sense to keep this account. What if you take a vacation out of Thailand and want to check your account? If it's the latter, then you'll probably have to bite the bullet and visit the consulate of your country to get an English-language document notarized.

The letter of residency from Thai immigration is in the Thai language.

Question for the OP -- is this something you have to present every time you go into a different country or just something you have to do to activate the account?

If it's the former, then I'd really question why it makes sense to keep this account. What if you take a vacation out of Thailand and want to check your account? If it's the latter, then you'll probably have to bite the bullet and visit the consulate of your country to get an English-language document notarized.

Yes, I found out it is in Thai language, so does not help me.

It's a third party processor that moves money from my work to my bank. Will be here in SE Asia for a while, the processor only requires this to change my USA address I currently use. Will not need to do again

in each country in the region.

I think you are from the US. You should be able to get a letter of your current address from the Embassy at a cost.

Yes, I am from USA. Will be going to the Embassy next week. Don't see any other options here in Thailand.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Get few of the Thai docs (bills) translated and have the translations legalized by your consul or the Tourist Police. The translation cost you max. 200b per page (eventually pm me for a professional but low cost translator)

Or get a letter of 'proof of residency' set up and together with a set of Thai bills have the letter legalized by the TP. The tourist Police also sign also 'proof of life's' for foreign bank or insurance etc. this free service it's part of their job.

Edited by Member

to do the exact same thing (wink.gif) I was able to ask the front desk of my apartment to send me my next bill with an address that would be in english/show my thai address so somebody could mail me something. It was typically in Thai and showed my American address, but they accomodated me and adjusted it to show english and my thai address.

Of course he's from the US; what other country would have a financial institution that doesn't understand that there are parts of the world that don't use English, or even the Roman script.

Seriously, if said institution can't authenticate using a cell phone text message and are giving you crap like that then clearly they are not equipped to do business internationally. Drop 'em.

Secondly, you say you don't have a cell phone. What's wrong with you? :) Get one, if they were any cheaper they'd be free.

Two ideas spring to mind

1, Open up a bank account, i am sure i have a account with Kasikorn where by my address has to be in English for when i use the web card on line

Or 2, Get some one to FedEx some thing from home to you and use the Documentation (Your name and address) and send them the Tracking Number which should verify that it was sent to a Mr--- at Address---- and was signed for by the recipient Mr ---

Might work just a thought.

TB