Yellow Tabien Baan, Kor Ror 13

"Nowadays all workers except company directors must in the Social Security scheme which actually provides lower benefits than the gold card scheme that came later."

Unless they were recently reinstated, employees at private schools were not eligible for social security. That included Thai employees.

I had read something a couple of years ago that because of the complaints the government was going to allow those employees back in, but I haven't read that they actually were.

"...Social Security scheme which actually provides lower benefits than the gold card scheme that came later."

I use the social security system extensively and find that hard to believe.

I remember all the complaining about drugs, facilities and in some cases, no doctors at assigned locations when using the then 'Gold Card' system.

One nice thing about the social security system, besides the health benefits, is that if you become ineligible through employment, you can arrange to pay on your own. 432 baht a month. You need to arrange that within 2 or 3 months (???) after work eligibility ends.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your 13 digit ID number should become your tax ID number as well as your driving licence number. It will be your ID card number too, if you ever become a Thai citizen.

Since 2008 district offices have had an obligation to register foreigners living in their districts, including those on short term visas. In practice you need your own condo, property in the name of your wive or a property owner who is willing to let you register using his address. Most landlords will refuse point blank because they are cheating on their taxes and mistakenly believe you might be able to sell the property or that they will not be able to get you out. You also need a district office that has bothered to read the 2008 amendment to the law on registration of persons. Otherwise they will assert that foreigners must be permanent residents to get on a tabien baan.

I have tried without success to find out what are the regulations for foreigners getting gold health cards. This also seems to vary depending on the whims of district office officials. By the way anyone working and in Social Security scheme is not entitled to use the gold card. Nowadays all workers except company directors must in the Social Security scheme which actually provides lower benefits than the gold card scheme that came later.

The part about company directors not having to be in the scheme has changed I think.

When I was registering my newest company at the social security office about 3 years ago, the staff there told me that even as a director I had to register in the scheme.

When I pointed out that I had run another company before and had avoided registration, the staff, politely but firmly told me the law had been amended recently and now everyone in a company - including the directors - had to register.

Worked out quite well, as I posted recently about being able to use the hospital facilities at no cost. (Ok, Ok, well no direct cost, anyway!)

My girlfriend who worked for an accountant until recently, seemed to think the social security option had more benefits than the gold card scheme (not that I would know personally).

She described that it allowed (easier) use of hospital facilities in a larger area in your home province without having to re-register at a different hospital/health center.

She also said that the Gold card scheme does not allow you to claim back hospital payments made in another province, where the social security does (as I have done very recently).

This topic has my interest . Went today to the ampuh and could not make it , information gotten before has changed cause of other emplyees I guess .

Anyway need a translation of my passport information ( no visa page ) and did not state it had to be translated by MFA , think those translation offices know what to do .

But I needed one more thing , a note signed by the embassy notifying I am who I am and that I want to move in with my wife on our address , and translated .

My question to those who already did this , is there a particular name for this statement and /or have anyone needed the same ?

All this is in Ampuh Chiangdao in Chiangmai , all help much appreciated , thank you .

I was informed too that I needed a letter from my embassy that I would be registered in Thailand. What it is called depends on your embassy.

I believe we have the same nationality , Dutch , perhaps you can tell me the name for this service .

Think I can go to Chiangmai consulate yes ?

Another thing , should I make the translation stamped by the MFA , or should it always be done that way ,

curious to know .

thanks Mario .

My amphur wants to see a certificate of residence from your embassy.

The Dutch embassy wants to see a "verklaring van uitschrijving" uit het bevolkingsregister for this. See:

http://www.netherlandsembassy.in.th/Producten_en_Diensten/Burgerzaken/Consulaire_verklaringen#internelink2

Check if you left before 1994 you can order it online from Den Haag, if later try and see if you can order it online from your last municipality.

Not sure if the amphur wants it to be ceertified by the MFA.

My amphur wants to see a certificate of residence from your embassy.

The Dutch embassy wants to see a "verklaring van uitschrijving" uit het bevolkingsregister for this. See:

http://www.netherlandsembassy.in.th/Producten_en_Diensten/Burgerzaken/Consulaire_verklaringen#internelink2

Check if you left before 1994 you can order it online from Den Haag, if later try and see if you can order it online from your last municipality.

Not sure if the amphur wants it to be ceertified by the MFA.

Wow great , now I understand what is needed , good news is I've already got the document needed so can go straight to the consulate .

thanks again ,

It has nothing to do with visa or extension of stay and does not allow you to stay here. Basically it is an official record of non Thai occupants living is a property. It can serve as proof of address when that is requested and has an alternative number that can be used instead of passport number for some things. Until recently most places did not want to issue except for those foreigners owning property but now most seem willing to do so.

This topic has my interest . Went today to the ampuh and could not make it , information gotten before has changed cause of other emplyees I guess .

Anyway need a translation of my passport information ( no visa page ) and did not state it had to be translated by MFA , think those translation offices know what to do .

But I needed one more thing , a note signed by the embassy notifying I am who I am and that I want to move in with my wife on our address , and translated .

My question to those who already did this , is there a particular name for this statement and /or have anyone needed the same ?

All this is in Ampuh Chiangdao in Chiangmai , all help much appreciated , thank you .

It does not get translated by the MFA, but gets stamped and signed being a correct translation.

The note from the embassy was not required from my Khet (similar to Amphur). What you can do is go to the Dutch embassy and register as living in Thailand. If you live in Chiang Mai, that is difficult.

The requirements for the Kor Ror 13 seem straightforward with minor variations for each amphoe or khet.

However, how does one then apply for a health card?

I know Thai's just walk into the district office with their ID Card and Blue Book, fill out a one page form, and about 15 minutes later they are done, out the door with 30 Baht/Health Card in hand. Of course, the district office is also checking info in their system regarding the person applying. Or, at least that how my Thai wife did it when she registered at the khet office about 3 years back. And changing to another hospital due to specific reasons (like change of residence) is also done the same way; my mother-in-law did this about a year ago in order to have a operation accomplished at another hospital.

I just don't think foreigners can get into the 30 Baht Health Program (not to be confused with the Social Security Health Program for people who have worked in Thailand); otherwise, that would have been covered so extensively on ThaiVisa already there would have probably been a special link/topic that has covered it for years. Heck, that could almost be considered a major benefit by moving to Thailand for some basic free medical care.

I could be wrong...won't be the first or last time. So you farangs/foreigners who have gotten a 30 Baht/Gold/Heath Card (not to be confused with other health cards), please ring in with how you got yours and how it is working for you. Thanks.

It has nothing to do with visa or extension of stay and does not allow you to stay here. Basically it is an official record of non Thai occupants living is a property. It can serve as proof of address when that is requested and has an alternative number that can be used instead of passport number for some things. Until recently most places did not want to issue except for those foreigners owning property but now most seem willing to do so.

Unless your yellow book includes a mug shot of your good self, I fail to see how it can be used in lieu of your passport as proof of ID. As regards proof of address, Bangkok Bank send me monthly statements relating to my GBP account with them, which would presumably equally do the trick. And when I applied for my first annual extension of stay last year, Maptaphut Immigration were happy to accept my wife's blue book and our KR2 marriage certificate as sufficient proof of my address - even though I was seeking the extension on retirement grounds.

I did make a vain attempt to obtain this hallowed book for myself a couple of years ago, which included a fun day at the MFA while they quibbled a number of times the translation of my Embassy letter. Eventually they did provide the necessary certification, only for our amphur then to reject the document on the grounds that the Thai spelling of my surname was not identical to my wife's in her ID card. At that, point, after much wasted effort, I decided to give up......

They can get very chicken sh&t on the spelling of names. When my wife renewed her Thai ID card, they misspelled the English version of her first name (it was missing a "s"). After noticing the misspelling later that night, she went back the next day to get the card corrected. The district office said the computer showed a spelling of so-and-so (as reflected on the ID they issued) and they would not update the ID unless she brought in an official Thai document like a Thai Passport which showed the correct spelling. She brought in her Thai passport which had the correct spelling and then the district office updated/corrected/issued a new Thai ID card at no charge. Yeap, they can get very picky on the spelling of names.

Unless your yellow book includes a mug shot of your good self, I fail to see how it can be used in lieu of your passport as proof of ID. As regards proof of address, Bangkok Bank send me monthly statements relating to my GBP account with them, which would presumably equally do the trick. And when I applied for my first annual extension of stay last year, Maptaphut Immigration were happy to accept my wife's blue book and our KR2 marriage certificate as sufficient proof of my address - even though I was seeking the extension on retirement grounds.

I did make a vain attempt to obtain this hallowed book for myself a couple of years ago, which included a fun day at the MFA while they quibbled a number of times the translation of my Embassy letter. Eventually they did provide the necessary certification, only for our amphur then to reject the document on the grounds that the Thai spelling of my surname was not identical to my wife's in her ID card. At that, point, after much wasted effort, I decided to give up......

No, it's not in lieu of your passport but it is a certificate of where you live. "You" in this case being the person who holds that passport, with that picture but with no address shown in the passport.

I want the Yellow Tabienban, because my embassy charges me a fortune for each Address Certification Letter (which doesn't have a photograph either).

Where exacxtly did you get your yellow book issued, if you don't mind me asking? I would like to use the same location to get mine, because a friend of mine got his in Pattaya, but didn't get a Med card. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I was also issued a Thai '30 bht' medical card after getting my yellow book. Not that my first choice for medical care would be a government hospital but should a dire emergency arise I guess it's a useful fallback.

You must apply for the Yellow Book at the amphur/khet office for your area/residence. Pretty much like how you have to use the immigration office for your area/residence versus being able to use any immigration office.

I have 3 options as for check in locations, as I have three residences here , 1 in Pattaya, 1 in Phetchaburi, which means Bangkok office or Surin, but was not aware that I could register for an ID Card and Medical Card. I would appreciate any information, so I can go apply. I asked in Jomtien office this morning, but the guy at the desk was clueless as usual.

You must apply for the Yellow Book at the amphur/khet office for your area/residence. Pretty much like how you have to use the immigration office for your area/residence versus being able to use any immigration office.

Can you please clue me in on the meaning of MFA? Thanks.

No, it's not in lieu of your passport but it is a certificate of where you live. "You" in this case being the person who holds that passport, with that picture but with no address shown in the passport.

I want the Yellow Tabienban, because my embassy charges me a fortune for each Address Certification Letter (which doesn't have a photograph either).

Just for the record. I have been to Baumrumrad in Bangkok as well as Bangkok Pattaya. I will take Somdej Hospital just down Sukhumvit past Laem Chabang anyday over the forementioned, which by the way is a Gov't Hospital. Much better choice then staying as Bangkok Pattaya or Baumrumrad.

Just something to keep in mind if you ever need serious medical treatment. I would just like to add this 1 thing. Make sure if you stay at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital you check you bill VERY VERY Carefully. I can tell you from more then 1 experience at this facility. They like to add Items and services that are never provided. Also like to send Doctors not related to your case to say " Hello, How are you today? " This will cost you at least 800 baht per physician that visit you. I had all if these charges removed as well as many other Medicines and Items removed from my bill on my LAST VIST there. When I say LAST VISIT I mean it, they will never see me again.

Where exacxtly did you get your yellow book issued, if you don't mind me asking? I would like to use the same location to get mine, because a friend of mine got his in Pattaya, but didn't get a Med card. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I was also issued a Thai '30 bht' medical card after getting my yellow book. Not that my first choice for medical care would be a government hospital but should a dire emergency arise I guess it's a useful fallback.

My girlfriend who worked for an accountant until recently, seemed to think the social security option had more benefits than the gold card scheme (not that I would know personally).

She described that it allowed (easier) use of hospital facilities in a larger area in your home province without having to re-register at a different hospital/health center.

She also said that the Gold card scheme does not allow you to claim back hospital payments made in another province, where the social security does (as I have done very recently).

There seem to be pluses and minuses of the social security scheme relative to the gold card. With social security you have more flexibility over which hospital you go to, as you say, but the gold card covers more treatments, eg HIV, since the government allocated more funding for it. Social security seems to be in steady decline as more and more private hospitals opt out of it. In fact the social security fund will almost certainly blow up one day, due to its underfunding and highly dubious investment activities.

I went to the district office last week on some other business and took the opportunity to ask face to face about the eligibility of foreigners for the gold card scheme. The official said that foreigners are definitely no longer eligible and showed me a leaflet that clearly states that only Thais with ID cards and a 13 digit ID number are eligible. Foreigners already in the scheme are grandfathered in and their rights are unaffected (for now anyway), although they can't get replacement cards, if they have lost them or never received them, as in my case. However, I can still get treatment at the government hospital nearest to me where I am registered on production of tabian baan and passport. Those foreigners who have gold cards must have all got them before the rules changed which I think was quite recently.