OLA Cheap Thai language course with ED visa

See this previous thread: http://www.thaivisa....ine-with-skype/

Walen online courses are real courses with real teachers in real time, not just receiving some study materials by email. More or less the same as in a classroom, very popular. School in question does not offer this kind of courses from what I understand, in any case that would not be Walen anyway and the interest here seems to be in an ED visa alone never mind learning Thai.

Walen School - leader in teaching Thai online

sorry sir , but i study your school , and i am not a favorite for it anymore , as your outfit are proffesional made ( for commercial purpose..) nice classes and accomodation , but first i received before entering classes happened ,a paper with the thai alphabet to learn home...(?) then i steppped in on lessonn 32 ,7, or 21 or whatever ... just like a tredmill , open your paid lesson book IN THAI SIGNS ...! no translation or Thai in western alphabet .....!

:jap: teachers try their best no complains about that , but the system is made for Parrots ... just listening and repeating on and on while in mean time must write your own translations in your lessons book ....and in mean time follow the teacher (a little bit more support for your lessons book should be welcome for the 25000 BATH + LESSONBOOK )

.. and just newly ... just overwelming...

No next school shall be Pro Language system....

sorry to say

regards :jap:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See this previous thread: http://www.thaivisa....ine-with-skype/

Walen online courses are real courses with real teachers in real time, not just receiving some study materials by email. More or less the same as in a classroom, very popular. School in question does not offer this kind of courses from what I understand, in any case that would not be Walen anyway and the interest here seems to be in an ED visa alone never mind learning Thai.

Walen School - leader in teaching Thai online

sorry sir , but i study your school , and i am not a favorite for it anymore , as your outfit are proffesional made ( for commercial purpose..) nice classes and accomodation , but first i received before entering classes happened ,a paper with the thai alphabet to learn home...(?) then i steppped in on lessonn 32 ,7, or 21 or whatever ... just like a tredmill , open your paid lesson book IN THAI SIGNS ...! no translation or Thai in western alphabet .....!

:jap: teachers try their best no complains about that , but the system is made for Parrots ... just listening and repeating on and on while in mean time must write your own translations in your lessons book ....and in mean time follow the teacher (a little bit more support for your lessons book should be welcome for the 25000 BATH + LESSONBOOK )

.. and just newly ... just overwelming...

No next school shall be Pro Language system....

sorry to say

regards :jap:

Thank you for your opinion, not sure how many lessons you attended but with Walen you do indeed need to learn the Thai script. If you do not do that you will find it difficult as we will not be transliterating the Thai language. We are a direct method school. You will just about every other school using transliterations. Books are taught on the loop, if you keep attending you will see very good results.

Some students prefer transliterations, some prefer learning Thai in its pure form. The Walen method works for those who want to learn.

This post is totally of the topic so sorry for that. I just responded to this post.

If you want to spend less there are definitely cheaper schools but you get what you pay for. If that school got in trouble with the immigration do not fool yourself, you will be in trouble too and explaining to the immigration that you thought they were a good school etc will not help much.

Walen School - ED visa most reliable assistance.

Why would a student get into trouble with immigration if he/she has enrolled with a school which is accredited and authorised by the Ministry of Education? Does this not mean that its teaching methods (and presumably attendance/online class completion records) have been recognised as acceptable? If it's good enough for the MoE to issue the paperwork for a visa (and subsequent visa to be issued by a Thai consulate), under what circumstances would a student find themselves in difficulty if he/she had complied with the study requirements which had been authorised by the MoE?

Exactly. It seems to me MacWalen is trying out his scare tactics.

MacWalen unless you have any real evidence please refrain from bad mouthing them. I only want first hand experiences.

Has anybody else other than digital signed up with them or even heard of them before?

I've told a real story. Do as you want. The good news is that Walen can do better as people can study at our school totally for free. We have a way to reduce cost of study at Walen to 0 Baht.

Walen School - you can study for free

Hi MacWalen,

Can you tell me how I can study at your school for free? ....You say you have a way to reduce the cost to 0 Bhat...Can you tell me what I have to do / how to apply to be able to study at your school for 0 baht? Doe's the free course also include a ED Visa?

Regards In Advance

Block

I was looking infos on schools for having ed-visa .

On May 23rd I went to Time Square Walen School and ask informations regarding the processus to obtain one. The office girl give good advise and I had made the choice right away to go to this school. I tell her that I have to go out of Thailand June 8 as my visa expire on this date.. I ask her if the whole process of papers will be ok for this date. She tell me that it may take 2 to 4 weeks to have the papers back to the school. I ask her if she assure me to have the papers on time. She cannot assure me. But she tell me that if I want to speed up the process I have to pay 5,000 bahts more right away and she promise me that the papers will arrive in 10 days. Also I have to give in advance the 25,000 bahts for the course.

I suddenly back off and tell her I want to think about it.

I went to another school . Same good advise for the girl for the infos. I explain my situation & tell her that I have to go out of Thailand June 8. No problems she tell me. The papers will arrive within 10 days. Are you sure I ask. Yes absolutely sure.

So I paid a deposit of 15,000 b ,the rest payable when she received the papers.

8 days later May 31 she call me and said she have received the papers. I was very happy. I went therre paid the rest of the course, went to Laos and come back with my ed-visa

The question is WHY Walen school charge 5,000 b for having a visa in 10 days if other school can have the same visa in 8 days FREE of charge

Anyone?

which school did u go to? the second one which you went and enrolled?

Agree about Cambodia, i've a 6-months business visa (25$ at the border, no questions asked) which i can extend over and over.

I can rent an apartment even with a tourist visa, the prices are up to 60% lower than in thailand for many things.

Many services are abysmal to say the least and the whole country is a mess, but if you have a sense of adventure it can be a good option

compared to the crazy visa situation in thailand and the sinking dollar and euro.

(Actually as here we pay everything in US dollars the more the dollar goes down the less i'm spending as i'm paid in euros.)

my 2 cents

I was looking infos on schools for having ed-visa .

On May 23rd I went to Time Square Walen School and ask informations regarding the processus to obtain one. The office girl give good advise and I had made the choice right away to go to this school. I tell her that I have to go out of Thailand June 8 as my visa expire on this date.. I ask her if the whole process of papers will be ok for this date. She tell me that it may take 2 to 4 weeks to have the papers back to the school. I ask her if she assure me to have the papers on time. She cannot assure me. But she tell me that if I want to speed up the process I have to pay 5,000 bahts more right away and she promise me that the papers will arrive in 10 days. Also I have to give in advance the 25,000 bahts for the course.

I suddenly back off and tell her I want to think about it.

I went to another school . Same good advise for the girl for the infos. I explain my situation & tell her that I have to go out of Thailand June 8. No problems she tell me. The papers will arrive within 10 days. Are you sure I ask. Yes absolutely sure.

So I paid a deposit of 15,000 b ,the rest payable when she received the papers.

8 days later May 31 she call me and said she have received the papers. I was very happy. I went therre paid the rest of the course, went to Laos and come back with my ed-visa

The question is WHY Walen school charge 5,000 b for having a visa in 10 days if other school can have the same visa in 8 days FREE of charge

Anyone?

which school did u go to? the second one which you went and enrolled?

I went to Pro- Language in the 10th floor on the same building

There are a lot of competitors on the market. If you go with Walen you will get good quality and reliable service. If you want to spend less there are definitely cheaper schools but you get what you pay for. If that school got in trouble with the immigration do not fool yourself, you will be in trouble too and explaining to the immigration that you thought they were a good school etc will not help much.

And what is it that you are actually implying here, '' If that school got in trouble with the immigration,'' Mr. competition?

Yes, at least one school that I know is in history books now and students blacklisted. They also had very good deals, but unfortunately no more. Just feel sorry for the students who got in trouble. Guys, I am fine with competition, we have a lot of students so no problem here. You can go for the very cheapest school available and expect first class service. Still Walen is here if you needed reliable service, not the cheapest though. 22,000 is quite common price, you can save 200 baht a month. With Walen you can also get what you will not get with any other school, but this is a different topic.

could you elaborate .. it sounds interesting

i think MCwalen means : 22000 b for is 1 year. including ED visa too i suppose. and he says 200b saving for 1 month. 12x200 =2400 is.

so with the discount we pay : 22000-2400=19600 b in total? is it so ?B)

No, I think he's saying 22,000 is a common price. Walen price is 24,960 baht, so you'd only save about 200 baht per month by going elsewhere for a purportedly inferior service.

As for the ED visa, you always pay the Thai consulate directly, not the school, so any prices quoted by any school will exclude this. The only thing you should get free from the school in this respect will be the paperwork for the visa.

I'm still intrigued by MacWalen's comment that you can study free at his school via some method to reduce the fees to zero. Come on Mac, let us in on the secret?

i think MCwalen means : 22000 b for is 1 year. including ED visa too i suppose. and he says 200b saving for 1 month. 12x200 =2400 is.

No, I think he's saying 22,000 is a common price. Walen price is 24,960 baht, so you'd only save about 200 baht per month by going elsewhere for a purportedly inferior service.

As for the ED visa, you always pay the Thai consulate directly, not the school, so any prices quoted by any school will exclude this. The only thing you should get free from the school in this respect will be the paperwork for the visa.

I'm still intrigued by MacWalen's comment that you can study free at his school via some method to reduce the fees to zero. Come on Mac, let us in on the secret?

Maybe the same system used by some other schools to bring other candidates for subscription for language course...., by giving bonuses ..., some schools lately work that way as competition grows..... , but ;;; just an assumption ,not knowing is the case...

If you want to spend less there are definitely cheaper schools but you get what you pay for. If that school got in trouble with the immigration do not fool yourself, you will be in trouble too and explaining to the immigration that you thought they were a good school etc will not help much.

Why would a student get into trouble with immigration if he/she has enrolled with a school which is accredited and authorised by the Ministry of Education? Does this not mean that its teaching methods (and presumably attendance/online class completion records) have been recognised as acceptable? If it's good enough for the MoE to issue the paperwork for a visa (and subsequent visa to be issued by a Thai consulate), under what circumstances would a student find themselves in difficulty if he/she had complied with the study requirements which had been authorised by the MoE?

Exactly. It seems to me MacWalen is trying out his scare tactics.

MacWalen unless you have any real evidence please refrain from bad mouthing them. I only want first hand experiences.

Has anybody else other than digital signed up with them or even heard of them before?

I've told a real story. Do as you want. The good news is that Walen can do better as people can study at our school totally for free. We have a way to reduce cost of study at Walen to 0 Baht.

Walen School - you can study for free

Can you elaborate more on this quote please Mc Walen ?

Feel free to start a new thread to stay on topic !

If you want to study for free at Walen just contact me I will give you all the info. Not everybody here is so friendly towards Walen so better to talk directly with those interested but I can assure you guys that I have the best deal on the market.

Walen School - the best deal

Maybe the same system used by some other schools to bring other candidates for subscription for language course...., by giving bonuses ..., some schools lately work that way as competition grows..... , but ;;; just an assumption ,not knowing is the case...

Hi

I know several people who went to Walen School and I don’t really think it’s possible to study for free! They have a sort of pyramid scheme thing that when you recruit new students to the school you get some money from the new ones. Then when they recommend others you get a percentage of that too. In reality I think it would take a very long time to get enough students to cover you costs, but perhaps it does work for some people.

I am currently attending Pro Language School in Chiang Mai. I can really recommend them to you as I have been there nearly 3 years and never had any problems with them. Some of the stories you hear from other schools and visas, money etc are quite surprising. At the moment Pro Language is charging Students 25,000 baht/course will be eligible for a 1 year ED Visa. This is to register for 180 lessons. They get all the paperwork sorted quickly and efficiently and because the school has been around a few years now, everything goes fine at the immigration office.

The teachers are great too and the course material is good as you learn reading and speaking at the same time, which is a great way to learn. I know now that they have lots of classes starting for beginners and intermediate students, so now is a good time to approach them.

Good luck and hope you enjoy you time in Thailand!

Jason

Thanks all for your help.

I will be using them when my current visa expires in a few months.

Will check back then to see if digital gave us an update about his experiences.

What made you commit?

From what digital said it shows they can get the right paperwork.

I did a lot of googling and found reference to them supplying teachers to schools in the past(which to me shows they weren't just set up recently)

Also I asked the same question on ajarn.com and got the reply that they are one of their sponsers and have been around for a while under the name OLA Academy.

But like I said....I will try to confirm with digital before I hand over the cash.

Like I said, we obviously do not have only friends here so talking in public about certain things makes no sense as those who do not like Walen will twist things. You like other schools good on you. If you want to learn Thai in Thai come to us. If you like karaoke go to other schools. This is that simple. And regarding business, there are many who have never run a business but perhaps think they are business experts. Judge for yourself.

Walen School - study for free

Like I said, we obviously do not have only friends here so talking in public about certain things makes no sense as those who do not like Walen will twist things. You like other schools good on you. If you want to learn Thai in Thai come to us. If you like karaoke go to other schools. This is that simple. And regarding business, there are many who have never run a business but perhaps think they are business experts. Judge for yourself.

Walen School - study for free

In my limited experience working for private sector business and having been owner of a couple business, the first rule of good business practice we learned, do not bad mouth your competition. I agree, there are many who have never run a business yet consider themselves expert, (some teachers are accused of this), by the same token running or working for a successful business does not make all of these people experts. (many what were successful companies are closed each year) Most of us are brought up to believe that you get what you pay for, quality costs more than than the lack of same, most of the time. That leads to the old saying 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I am not making judgement, just expressing my opinion as I have never had personal dealings with you or your institution.

Hi there,

I can confirm that this totally legit and above board. Also has endorsement from the Thai Ministry of Education. Also, there are no hidden costs it is a flat fee of 12,500 baht. If anyone wishes to take advantage of this please do not hesitate to private message me and I will provide all the information. We have had many satisfied customers. We have testimonials etc from these people.

Edited for spelling! :)

Richie, I sent you a PM over a week ago as per your suggestion but no reply.

Anybody else been any more successful in getting more information by emailing Ola directly?

Here is what has happened for me so far if its of any use to anybody:

14 May: Transfer payment to bank account

19 May: I sent completed application forms which was sent to me by mail, passport copies, education certificate copies, 7 photo's.

20 May Documents I sent EMS arrived with OLA.

1 June: OLA email me to say they have the documents ready now and send back same day registered post.

8 June: Documents arrived to my address

....In English: Class enrollment form confirmation, Letter of accepting admission.

....In Thai: letter requesting Visa, original & copy of MOE approval letter, 6 page document that looks like the schools registration, copy of house registration, copy of ID card.

I've always had quick replies to my emails (except for 1 which was next day), sent 4 mails before payments and more during and after.

I am going to KL end of the month to obtain my Ed-Visa. They said to me they have more than 30 student now in Phuket and Krabi and guarantee 1000% there is no problem for visa and 3 month extensions. (I asked about Phuket because this is where I will go for extensions)

There is 1 hour per week of live Skype lessons and they will send lessons every week ( I took this to mean 1 hour of taught lessons per week plus the rest self study, there is something on the website about daily quizzes and tests + video chat room for practice with other students).

Since I signed up they now seem to have some arrangement with island tefl who now seem to be handling the appliactions/marketing (think??)

School started in 2532 (1989?) I think from trying to understand the documents.

I am scheduled to start lessons 1st August.

Any more questions I will share what I know, will post back after getting Visa and once lessons start.

Update to say returned from KL last night with single entry Non-Ed Visa issued, no problems, passport already had non-o multiple+ visa runs for almost a year, non-b + extensions based on working and a single tourist visa.

Immigration officer politely asked me what I was studying upon entering Thailand and where I was studying, he seemed friendly so not sure if it was just chat or he was checking up on me? I just said Thai and Bangkok he said ok you get 90 days stamp.

Will report back once lessons start, hope I manage to learn some Thai as I know next to nothing from several years here.

Thanks for the update digital and good luck with your studies!

One question for you reading your post again - why is a copy of your house registration required?

I've now been in touch directly with OLA via email and can confirm that they have been speedy and comprehensive with their replies. As digital said above, Skype lessons are once per week (for 1-2 hours), with the balance of the 200 hours made up by self-study. They have students of varying degrees of proficiency and also have an advanced course.

For the record, the school confirmed that the poster above named as Richie White, who seemed to be speaking as an OLA employee, has nothing to do with their school. Or at least nobody with that name is associated with them. I never got a reply from him anyway.

...One question for you reading your post again - why is a copy of your house registration required? ...

When I read that about the house registration I understood that it was part of the documents Digital received form the school, ie copy the house registration and ID of a school director.

....In English: Class enrollment form confirmation, Letter of accepting admission.

....In Thai: letter requesting Visa, original & copy of MOE approval letter, 6 page document that looks like the schools registration, copy of house registration, copy of ID card.

I have a question for Digital, though: was the letter in Thai requesting the visa addressed to a particular Thai consulate, ie did you have to tell the school beforehand at what consulate you will apply and the school then addressed the letter to that consulate?

Seems to be turning into spam for a commercial enterprises

While debate healthy ,touting seems cheap and importuning and demeans the purveyor

As a matter of fact many leading Universities iin US UK etc run online coures

e.g. Open University

Seems like apples and pears tolink sold courses to right to stay

Of course if MacWalen could promise PR to those who pass their so called classes.

Real Thai tuition is available at proper universities like Thammasat Chula ets for bona fide students

If you do not think this a visa scam ,wake up and smell the coffee

22,000 is more than most Thais earn yet they teach their kids to read write and speak .

L2 acquisition has nothing to do with visas

...One question for you reading your post again - why is a copy of your house registration required? ...

When I read that about the house registration I understood that it was part of the documents Digital received form the school, ie copy the house registration and ID of a school director.

Yes thats right, copy ot ID card and house registration is somebody at the school not me.

I have a question for Digital, though: was the letter in Thai requesting the visa addressed to a particular Thai consulate, ie did you have to tell the school beforehand at what consulate you will apply and the school then addressed the letter to that consulate?

I don't think it was addressed to KL Thai Embassy, they did not ask me where I was going but they did know as I asked if there was any problem going to KL.

• 4 weeks later...

A short history of the ED-visa schools:

1. First people thought you had to study 200 hours per year to get a ED-visa (which is very little, but hey, smart businessmen discovered a new business in this: the "ED-visa school").

2. Then they said it should be only 180 hours and 20 hours home work. (homework is also studying, smart thinking).

3. Then they changed hours to lessons, so they called it 180 lessons - and a lesson is only 50 minutes. (Great idea!).

4. After that they introduced online studying via Skype (I never understood why would you need a visa for that. You can do that from within your home country).

5. In the next step the students were not required to come to the courses anymore. In fact, a huge percentage of the students almost never shows up for the courses but the schools still give them the paperwork to do the 90-day extensions. (Any student of a "ED-visa school" will confirm this -- Isn't that wonderful?)

6. And now in the next step they call it online assistance, and there's no teacher involved anymore and you pay only half of what you paid before! So only 12500B for access to one website (Isn't that cheap!).

And now a little preview of the future:

7. the last step: the end of the ED-visa

The website (pasathaionline.com) is registered to:

OLAINTERNATIONAL

Phongsin Sinpibarn ([email protected])

1895/39-40 37/1 soi Phahonyothin Rd

Chatu Church

Bangkok,10220

TH

Tel. +66.0870242772

OLAINTER.AC.TH was registered in november 2010. The school is supposed to be 20 years old.

This is the manager:

http://www.facebook.com/people/Phongsin-Sinpibarn/100000160933451

He studied in Australia, so if you call the number above he should be able to answer you questions in English.

Edited by kriswillems

Hello everyone,

After carefully reading this thread, i got in touch with the school. Got a rather quick reply, with a 72-hours promotion offer of 12,500.

Indeed, as kriswillems was saying, one big consideration seems to be the fact, that one does NOT need an Ed-visa to study online. I am puzzled as to how the Immigration would accept and permit such an arrangement...

What do you think?

Indeed, as kriswillems was saying, one big consideration seems to be the fact, that one does NOT need an Ed-visa to study online. I am puzzled as to how the Immigration would accept and permit such an arrangement...

What do you think?

You don't need a visa to study Thai by attending classes in person either. The fact is that study at the OLA school under an ED visa is authorised by the Ministry of Education, be it online or otherwise, so the visas seem to be issued easily enough. Whether the online part is conveniently omitted from the documentation, I don't know. The question for me would be with regard to visa extensions, assuming you try for the next 90 days in a different province to where the school is based. I could see Immigration officers potentially raising an eyebrow at that. As we know, unfortunately Immigration are a law unto themselves at times, so what happens in one location won't necessarily be the same in another place. Hopefully poster digital and some others will post their experiences here though.

Edited by TCA