DTAC Is An Alien Company: Thai Commerce Minister

webfact

Urgent: Alongkorn concludes dtac alien firm

By The Nation

30159984-01.jpg

Deputy Commerce Minister Alongkorn Ponlaboot today said Total Access Communication (DTAC) has breached foreign business law.

Alongkorn also recommended the Business Development Department to file charges against seven corporate shareholders of DTAC, believed to hold shares in DTAC on behalf of foreigners.

Alongkorn did not specify the names of the companies. On the shareholders' list as of December 2010, corporate shareholders of DTAC included Telenor Asia (Singapore) and Thai Telco Holdings Co Ltd. Holding shares in Thai Telco Holdings included Bolero Co Ltd, Abaroni Co Ltd and Sandalwood Holdings Co Ltd.

Commerce Permanent Secretary Banyong Phuangrach said at a press conference today that Alongkorn could just give the recommendation given that he is a caretaker minister who has no authority in this case.

Banyong added that the Business Development Department, which enforces the Foreign Business Act BE2542, would stick to the original schedule: to decide within 7 days whether to file charges against "nominees" or to forward the investigation to the police.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-11

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep now the offer from Thaksins buddies will likely come in

to buy enough shares to make them legal again.

Likely at firesale rates of course.

Powerplay in the works for sure.

So you nasty Norwegians,

here's an offer you can't refuse.

Makes me think back to Monson,

Thaksin partnered with him to install technology,

but it came time to take profits and

he had Monson thrown in jail...

Edited by animatic

So you nasty Norwegians,

Didnt DTAC anger True which is on the other side of the political equation?

So you nasty Norwegians,

What a nonsense.. Is there any post where you do not mention Thaksin? Wonder what this man has done to you.

It's raining.... blame Thaksin!

Anyway do you know the democrates (your friends) are still in power? And that under their government this whole DTAC thing is initiated?

So you nasty Norwegians,

What a nonsense.. Is there any post where you do not mention Thaksin? Wonder what this man has done to you.

Anyway do you know the democrates (your friends) are still in power? And that under their government this whole DTAC thing is initiated?

Does anyone know what political grouping True are close to and why they could get deals through when others couldnt? That is also why DTAC find themsleves in this position. Then again commercially they had little choice, but lacked/lack political allies

Well well. This will put a cat among the pigeons.

I bet there a few people at a certain well known British supermarket chain who are puckering up a little right now.

These are departing shots of the establishment/dem axis in defence of their business interests. The incoming government will likely act differently although you cannot count out an establishment launched assault on anything through the courts. However, ability to influence the courts when the political winds are blowing in another direction may interfere in any such attempts.

So you nasty Norwegians,

Does anyone know what political grouping True are close to and why they could get deals through when others couldnt? That is also why DTAC find themsleves in this position. Then again commercially they had little choice, but lacked/lack political allies

CP is close to whoever they need to be. They were in with the Dems they were with TRT, they do monstrous amounts of business in China. They are the most influential Thai-Chinese company in the country, and one of the most important for anyone wanting access to the Chinese market, and what they say, goes particularly when it comes to keeping foreign companies of their turf.

So you nasty Norwegians,

There is a certain Mr. Vitthya Vejjajiva on the bord of directors of True, so you can make your own assumptions based on that.

Edited by sanukma

So you nasty Norwegians,

CP is close to whoever they need to be. They were in with the Dems they were with TRT, they do monstrous amounts of business in China. They are the most influential Thai-Chinese company in the country, and one of the most important for anyone wanting access to the Chinese market, and what they say, goes particularly when it comes to keeping foreign companies of their turf.

Of course they have immense power and can side change easily enough but rocking too many boats for the incoming government will likely not be part of it considering the links they have to the other side. Probably a lot more pragmatic approach although maybe a few foreign owned shares of several companies will need to be sold on to certain people.

Xenophobia from THE DEMOCRATS.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

In contrast, I cannot find any anti-foreign sentiment at PTP, or at least not more than what alreadt exists among the civil service and the outgoing government.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I know it will never happen. But what might happen if DTAC told the government to go and blow it out of their arse? Can't be shut down as there would be too many people out of work, can it? And what would happen to all the people who have DTAC contracts and phone numbers?

Towards farang, the behavior of politics (PTPor Dems) in Thailand is the same: against.

At least something they agree on!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by GaiUan

So you nasty Norwegians,

Better to know what you are talking about before letting your mouth run with vile...it is very well known what Thaksin did to his Partner in that deal in fact the guy was lucky to leave Thailand alive

I know it will never happen. But what might happen if DTAC told the government to go and blow it out of their arse? Can't be shut down as there would be too many people out of work, can it? And what would happen to all the people who have DTAC contracts and phone numbers?

Good questions

The PT talked about helping the poor and putting a lot of Thais out of work would not look good on them.

I am sorry the Dems lost but this kind of thing does not reflect any good on them. In fact it lowers them to the level of the red shirts. They better aim higher if they are to have a positive effect on Thailand.:jap:

Of course they have immense power and can side change easily enough but rocking too many boats for the incoming government will likely not be part of it considering the links they have to the other side. Probably a lot more pragmatic approach although maybe a few foreign owned shares of several companies will need to be sold on to certain people.

They could see the writing on the wall with Abhisit and the Dems so they started pushing this issue just before the change of government. This issue about foreign ownership is IMPOSSIBLE for any government to go against. It would be political suicide for PTP to try to wash it away, since the one issue that can not be debated logically in parliament in this country, is that Thailand is for the Thai's, even if they originally came from Guangzhou.

I have read a lot of books about CP, and they are big business fixers in China. I was a little surprised to see one night on the TV whilst on business in China, the head of Chia Thai holdings having a quiet cup of tea with the Chinese premier. Irrespective of their well known counsel to some of the more influential in Thailand. They are one of (if not the) the most influential Asian business companies.

http://www.cpthailand.com/Default.aspx?tabid=68&articleType=ArticleView&articleId=23

Thailand's CP Group Chairman/CEO Appointed As President Of China Overseas Chinese Entrepreneurs Association

http://www.cpthailand.com/Globalnetwork/InvestmentinChina.aspx

First and LARGEST foreign investor in China.

Just think how big that has to be.

Edited by Thai at Heart

ASTV reports Dept Commerce Minister Alongkorn finds DTAC guilty of breaching Alien Business Law but Business Development Dept disagrees /

Alongkorn orders dept to file suit against DTAC with police but dept is refusing saying Alongkorn doesn't have authority over case /

/TAN_Network

So you nasty Norwegians,

All I know is that True is part of the CP group empire....which is owned by probably the richest family in Thailand... rich normally equates to influency so I wouldn't be surprised they have some powerful friends that could have made such a deal possible.

Interesting thing is that Abhisits father is a director at True...but I wouldnt; know if they are necessarily aligned with the Democrats, although it would make sense.

While the "heat" coming from the CP is the most obvious one, but is it also not possible that perhaps Dtac or one of its shareholders supported previous government and this is a revenge from the other side.

1 think i have learned in Thailand, always expect the unexpected, and even when you predict and cover all basis, something new pops up, no matter how ridiculous it sounds

So you nasty Norwegians,

Please wake up

ASTV reports Dept Commerce Minister Alongkorn finds DTAC guilty of breaching Alien Business Law but Business Development Dept disagrees /

Alongkorn orders dept to file suit against DTAC with police but dept is refusing saying Alongkorn doesn't have authority over case /

/TAN_Network

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

You couldn't sit in a room on you own for a month and think these stories up.

Once again we see Thai's exhibiting a complete lack of regard for consequences. Don't they understand this will drive foreign business away?

I mean, A Business should be owned by the company who's name it carries not some Thai somchai who happened to get lucky. They are going to have to change these laws or lose out on a massive amount of opportunities.

No foreign company will step foot in Thailand knowing that a competing Thai firm can put its officers in jail.

What are they thinking?!?

Greg