Sonic Rebuild

nellyp

Keep an eye on your temperature gauge, if its not running hot your ok.

hard to tell about the noise without actually hearing it. A ticking noise will also originate from the balancer or a worn crank bearing. I had a cbr 150 that ticked, but nothing ever went wrong.

I have had my bike back for a few days now and it has more pull than before, but they seem to have set the idle too high and I can still hear a ticking from the engine that I thought was the valves. Where would you hear the noise of valves on the sonic engine? and will me altering the idle alter the fuel mixture. I am still worried about the lean running situation. I have not had a look at the plug yet as i have no spanner. Something that I find a little strange is that if I try to start from cold and use the choke it will not start at all, but if the engine warms up a little and I put the choke on it will run. Is this bad?

It may have been running a bit hot as they did not put the coolant back in :annoyed: I also pulled the plug out today and it looks good in the wear department apart from the fact that a braand new plug had the top bent and the electrodes had a minimal gap. i went to see if they had put the plug in from the box (pre-set) or had set the gap themselves. I am worried that the piston has hit the plug and closed the gap. the guy told my missus that it was ok for the piston to hit the plug as long as the buke runs. I'm going bac k tomorrow to talk to the owner and the mechanic who did the work on my bike. i want an in depth overview of what was done and how. To be honest today I have stripped the bike apart and have done all the niggly little jobs that needed doing and fixed all the rattles etc and the bike is running fine. i just don't like that i have had to top up the coolant, tighten the chain, change my plug, slow down the tick over,and tighten the exhaustwhen that should have been part of the job.

Anyway like I said the bike seems to be running ok now.So fingers crossed

I have had my bike back for a few days now and it has more pull than before, but they seem to have set the idle too high and I can still hear a ticking from the engine that I thought was the valves. Where would you hear the noise of valves on the sonic engine? and will me altering the idle alter the fuel mixture. I am still worried about the lean running situation. I have not had a look at the plug yet as i have no spanner. Something that I find a little strange is that if I try to start from cold and use the choke it will not start at all, but if the engine warms up a little and I put the choke on it will run. Is this bad?

It may have been running a bit hot as they did not put the coolant back in :annoyed: I also pulled the plug out today and it looks good in the wear department apart from the fact that a braand new plug had the top bent and the electrodes had a minimal gap. i went to see if they had put the plug in from the box (pre-set) or had set the gap themselves. I am worried that the piston has hit the plug and closed the gap. the guy told my missus that it was ok for the piston to hit the plug as long as the buke runs. I'm going bac k tomorrow to talk to the owner and the mechanic who did the work on my bike. i want an in depth overview of what was done and how. To be honest today I have stripped the bike apart and have done all the niggly little jobs that needed doing and fixed all the rattles etc and the bike is running fine. i just don't like that i have had to top up the coolant, tighten the chain, change my plug, slow down the tick over,and tighten the exhaustwhen that should have been part of the job.

the guy told my missus that it was ok for the piston to hit the plug as long as the buke runs

Now I've heard it all. :lol:

Whatever man, 'if the plug hits but still runs its ok????" jesus.... ive never met a shop that knew anything about gapping a plug.

any chance they filled the coolant without waiting for the thermostat to open and topping off?

If im not mistaken you can install a colder plug that should have a shorter electrode height. I think the higher the number the colder the plug, so B9ES would be colder than B8ES.

I would like to add my thanks along with eljeque to every body for your input :blink: :jap: . You are right that new this might/could happen, but the rudimentary mistakes are a bit stupid. Anyway the bike is running fine now I just need to check the plug again to see if the gap had been pistoned to death :annoyed: i haven't taken it for a long ride yet but it has been fine tripping about on it. Maybe once I have run it in i'll let you all know how/if the preformance has improved. Again many thanks to you all