Route To Pai

KRS1

Has anyone ever taken this route to Pai from Chiang Mai?

1096-1349-1265-1095

Any dirt involved? Looks like a nice ride.

This is a pic after a few minutes after making a right off of 1096

48f39.jpg67034.jpg

Edited by KRS1

Never done it but understand parts of it are dirt and 4 wheel drive is recommended. Might be tough during the rainy season on a bike.

Recommend you pick up the GT Rider Mae Hong Song map for more details-

mae-hong-son-loop-map.gif

This is a ride I'd very much like to do so please let us know how it goes!

Happy Trails!

Tony

Difficult as I can't remember the road numbers, but if you take the road from Samoeng there is about ? 40 km of dirt road through hill tribe villages. Can get muddy. The last ? 24 km onto the 1095 is tarmaced A nice ride but best on a trail bike or 4WD if the weather is rainy,

Edited by msg362

Never done it but there's dirt involved getting to Mae Wat Chan via Samoeng, 40km sounds about right. I've heard it's not too bad but in the rainy season of course you never know.

I can vouch for the Wat Chan - Pai stretch, very nice & all asphalt, just take it easy as there's construction just around the corner in some places.

Definitely going to do that on my next set of tires.. the current ones are great but rather useless on dirt/mud.

This rain season up here seems to have been particularly hard on the roads. can't vouch for this road , but I have noticed a lot of roads up here are in a dreadful state. The worst I've seen. Roads which were actually resurfaced last year. Be careful if on slick road tires.

This rain season up here seems to have been particularly hard on the roads. can't vouch for this road , but I have noticed a lot of roads up here are in a dreadful state. The worst I've seen. Roads which were actually resurfaced last year. Be careful if on slick road tires.

I've been hearing similar reports from my riding buddy as well Jubby. I'll be choosing wisely when I get back. Can't afford to bang up my wheels on bad roads.

I did this earlier this year with four friends. Only one had ridden off road / dirt before and we didn't have maps lol. We used D-Tracters and KLX's and had a fantastic time and a laugh a minute along the way. There was a real bad section where there is just thick red sloppy clay which was really scary but other than that it was all pretty much ok even for novice dirt riders like us. don't think I'd be in a rush to attempt it in the rainy season though.

hey thanks for all the tips from everyone, sure would've sucked to hit the last 40km and find a muddy road. I literally have like 2-3mm clearance on my front fender now do to a 100/80 tire. If i take this route, im going to pull off the lower fairings and strap the front fender to the seat temporarily.

That pic i posted is beautiful aint it, just makes you want to keep riding !

Im going to see if there is a way around for that 40km stretch of dirt road. If im reading the advice correctly, the 40 km dirt road is right before hitting 1095 right? Or is that 40km dirt, then 24 km tarmac before getting on 1095?

thanks

I did this earlier this year with four friends. Only one had ridden off road / dirt before and we didn't have maps lol. We used D-Tracters and KLX's and had a fantastic time and a laugh a minute along the way. There was a real bad section where there is just thick red sloppy clay which was really scary but other than that it was all pretty much ok even for novice dirt riders like us. don't think I'd be in a rush to attempt it in the rainy season though.

Are you the guy i keep seeing riding around town in full enduro gear and knobby tires? :huh:

Are you the guy i keep seeing riding around town in full enduro gear and knobby tires? :huh:

No mate, that's not me lol. I did ride a white Ninja 250 until a week ago then I picked up my new Versys.

We rented D-Tractors and KLX's between us when we did this route.

Thanks KSR1,

Day off today, morning bicycle ride followed with a nice lunch at:

12:05. Read your post and it sounds like a good idea. Gear on.

1:00. Top up in Samoeng

3:00. Back on pavement again and no more rain for the rest of the ride.

4:30. Leave Pai with a full tank and stomach.

6:45. Back home after a nice afternoons ride of 352 kms.

Last year there was 40 k of dirt, now there is 38 k. It is a well traveled and easy to find route - no need for maps even - and yes there are about a half dozen rutted sections. It was slightly damp the entire dirt portion with heavy showers the last 8/9 km, and I was on street tires only. Several times I was hitting 80 kph on the dirt, and would attempt this route on any kind of motorcycle; well not a Harley.

Quiet country roads, what could be better, and an added bonus was finding the least about of traffic on the Pai road I've encountered yet. No pictures, I went for a ride not photography practice.

Cheers

Edited by Fishenough

Awesome ! How was the scenery, vast mountain views or more canyon views? Really glad to hear the dirt road is passable and on street tires, your information is very valuable to many of us.

Many Thanks.

Awesome ! How was the scenery, vast mountain views or more canyon views? Really glad to hear the dirt road is passable and on street tires, your information is very valuable to many of us.

Many Thanks.

Most of the route provides mountain views, and the majority of the kilometers north of Samoeng are up amongst the pine trees, with cooler temperatures but for Chiang Mai and Pai. Plenty of nice panoramic views with little development in sight, including a nice view point overlooking the Pai valley I never noticed before. Worth a return trip soon, same ride just more coffee stops.

With the traffic this route gets, likely the last of the dirt portion will be paved in a year or so. There is long slabs of new black carpet to the north and south of the dirt, otherwise a lot of this connector is potholed tarmac.

Cheers

Update. Found out about accommodation in Mae Wat Chan, Ban Chan, and that there are reportedly wonderful mountain routes leading to Mae Hong Song. Should be worth a return trip with more exploring time with some better tires. Most likely that'll be just renting a KLX, but for certain the camera will come along for that trip. Maybe September or November.