Australia's Jetstar Denies Exploiting Thai Staff

webfact

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia's minimum wage is Aus$590 per week

This amounts to about 75000 Baht per month.Is there someone who can confirm this as I'm interested in a low paid job in Australia in that case.

No use taking wages alone, for it to mean anything it has to be in the context of the Cost of living in the country concerned

So you mean that one would need a minimum of 75000 Baht to survive a month in Australia?

As you say survive with 75000 Baht,but this money will not get you far,rent is high,food is high and is about to go up again.One Bedroom flat is $350 they ask for rent

Hmmm, i guess i can see why it was hard, considering Oz does not have WP system at all.whistling.gif

Oh pulease. Oz certainly does have a WP system and has done for some time. The govt is actually advertising for skilled workers to come here on permits.

As for your other comments about just getting another job if they don't like it.........the advent of unions and govts bringing in minimum wages are the result of the attitude of people like you.

What does wp have to do with skilled labour?

You either get a working viisa or not. One does not need to get a separate wp.

As for your minimum wage and union comments, world already seen what good unions do, hence the reason to moving to enterprise agreements.

Unions almost killed US auto industry, destroyed Quantas and British airways. Keep up the good work and unemployment will doulbe if not triple

Hmmm, i guess i can see why it was hard, considering Oz does not have WP system at all.whistling.gif

Oh pulease. Oz certainly does have a WP system and has done for some time. The govt is actually advertising for skilled workers to come here on permits.

As for your other comments about just getting another job if they don't like it.........the advent of unions and govts bringing in minimum wages are the result of the attitude of people like you.

As for your minimum wage and union comments, world already seen what good unions do, hence the reason to moving to enterprise agreements.

Unions almost killed US auto industry, destroyed Quantas and British airways. Keep up the good work and unemployment will doulbe if not triple

Semantics...please.

Work permit, visa with work rights? What is the difference.

One range of Australian visas will give you permission to enter but not work.

Others will give you permission to work under varying conditions. A permit to work. So what is the big deal?

As for unions. You have your interpretation of their effectiveness, others, beneficiaries of their insistence of basic work rights and conditions, would disagree.

the anticipated "minimum wage" from the incoming new "democratically elected" government, the official branch of Shin Corp.

I get very angry with overpaid farang who have been brainwashed by their "elite" masters. Perhaps they should publish on TV how their grossly excessive salaries compare with those of Khon Thai doing the same job alongside them.

I see no earthly reason why sarcastic comments about Thailand's democratic system should enter into a discussion about an Oz company's Conditions of Employment.

IMHO the pay scales should be relevant for the country in which the employee is based, if based in BKK then Thailand pay scales, if based in Melbourne then Oz pay scales. I guess the BKK merchant bankers and financial wizards (?) wouldn't like that system though. Be paid the same as a Thai for the same work? No way!

Simple really - but then I am just a simple man living in the North East and thus cannot comprehend BKK high finance. LOL.

is that "angry" or maybe "envious"?

Neither angry or envious !

These comments are the only sensible ones in this forum in relation to cost of living in the country where you are paid .

Having just sold my Australian business and being very happy NOT to pay casuals $21 an hour or permanents the minimum $590 plus the 9% superannuation , the government 10% vat, the exorbitant charges for electricity , water , land rates and every other charge that the various departments dream up . Believe me with the cost of living in Australia and the taxes , this is not a lot of money to live on . But try being the employer , I didnt get the money for free and truth is staff are not worth having , they are lazy buggers in Australia .For those who doubt this try being a small employer and doing 90 hours a week and more to try to keep your business alive .

I think the asian system is working quiet well without FARANG interference .

Have a look at western economies and then tell me how good all our countries are .

When we can no longer buy cheaper products , cheaper airfares , employ cheaper labour etc etc etc , we can all be economic slaves trapped in the U.S , eng , Ireland , Aust , NZ , Europe etc with nowhere to go for holidays we cant afford , clothes , cars and a thousand other items we can no longer replace ????

So enjoy Asia and what it has to offer , WHILE IT LASTS .

Do your best not to let western influence destroy what is here , and god forbid they introduce the free money and create a race of dole and benefit bludging parasites like they have in my dear old Australia.

Australia's minimum wage is Aus$590 per week

This amounts to about 75000 Baht per month.Is there someone who can confirm this as I'm interested in a low paid job in Australia in that case.

No you're not. You couldn't afford the cost of living. House and flat rents take more than $300-400 per week. And then there's the ridiculously high cost of utilities. Have you read the latest on the rising cost of food etc in Oz? And don't forget the miserable weather. Believe me Thailand is the best place to live.

Neither angry or envious !

These comments are the only sensible ones in this forum in relation to cost of living in the country where you are paid .

Having just sold my Australian business and being very happy NOT to pay casuals $21 an hour or permanents the minimum $590 plus the 9% superannuation , the government 10% vat, the exorbitant charges for electricity , water , land rates and every other charge that the various departments dream up . Believe me with the cost of living in Australia and the taxes , this is not a lot of money to live on . But try being the employer , I didnt get the money for free and truth is staff are not worth having , they are lazy buggers in Australia .For those who doubt this try being a small employer and doing 90 hours a week and more to try to keep your business alive .

I think the asian system is working quiet well without FARANG interference .

Have a look at western economies and then tell me how good all our countries are .

When we can no longer buy cheaper products , cheaper airfares , employ cheaper labour etc etc etc , we can all be economic slaves trapped in the U.S , eng , Ireland , Aust , NZ , Europe etc with nowhere to go for holidays we cant afford , clothes , cars and a thousand other items we can no longer replace ????

So enjoy Asia and what it has to offer , WHILE IT LASTS .

Do your best not to let western influence destroy what is here , and god forbid they introduce the free money and create a race of dole and benefit bludging parasites like they have in my dear old Australia.

Semantics...please.

Work permit, visa with work rights? What is the difference.

One range of Australian visas will give you permission to enter but not work.

Others will give you permission to work under varying conditions. A permit to work. So what is the big deal?

As for unions. You have your interpretation of their effectiveness, others, beneficiaries of their insistence of basic work rights and conditions, would disagree.

There is a huge difference. for starters one does not need to obtain 2 papers from 2 totally different and separate departments

Secondly one does not need to have 4 local employees to even be considered.

Does not need a minimum salary, which so happens to be 5 times the local salary

Does not need to double company registered capital for each non local.

You are correct though, i am sure beneficiaries consider it the best thing in the world, this is why more than half of Quantas(example) engineering team is unemployed.do keep in mind that they were one of the best if not the best paid employees in the country, But that was not good enough, so unemployment is a much better option

While we are on the subject what about the Thais exploiting the Burmese here and in Burma?

I pay my burmese housekeeper 8000 baht/month with one day off a week. If a burmese has a license to work legally they can demand the same salary rates as thais because thais are avoiding the job like the plague.

Thais prefer their factory jobs probably because it feels alot less demeaning. As long as there is a supply of illegal immigrants who are willing to work for a pittance (but by their own countries standard a killing) there will always be opportunists.

The Hispanics in America, the South Asians in the UK and australia, the eastern europeans in Europe, the southeast asians in East Asia, etc etc. Pretty much a worldwide problem that can only be solved if you legalize and standardize the rules.

Has anyone bothered to ask if employees had gun to their heads?:blink:

They do not like it, simply resign and get a job with the airline who does not exploit.

Just typical Thai mentality "give them a finger,, they want the whole hand" no comprehension what so ever.

I gave my staff 20% off daily special prices(which are already half price), some had the nerve to question why its not 50%, mind you, its on top of their free meal allowance.

i gave my staff leniency in regards to having a day off(and they get 1 day off per week), so some started shifting and changing every second day.

Business should NOT have to explain it self, do not like it-off you go and find another job.

Gotta agree you got a good point there.

You stated oz doesn't have a wp system at all. http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/ It clearly does.

You are obviously against unions etc and completely missed my point that it is people with attitudes such as yourself that caused the union movement to be so strong.

On a good note it seems that qantas does not share your view of 'just get another job'. Employees are owed a duty of care by employers and it seems qantas are not amused at threatening letters sent by TET to the employees that complaned..... "Jetstar has demanded that TET retract the letters and apologise to the five crew'.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/jetstar-warns-thai-firm-over-crew-fatigue-threats/story-e6frg6nf-1226103780617

They do not like it, simply resign and get a job with the airline who does not exploit.

Just typical Thai mentality "give them a finger,, they want the whole hand" no comprehension what so ever.

I gave my staff 20% off daily special prices(which are already half price), some had the nerve to question why its not 50%, mind you, its on top of their free meal allowance.

i gave my staff leniency in regards to having a day off(and they get 1 day off per week), so some started shifting and changing every second day.

Business should NOT have to explain it self, do not like it-off you go and find another job.

If all emplyers were fair and reasonable then businesses would not have to explain themselves. There are unscrupulous employers out there that take advantage. There are many cases here in oz where employees were underpaid. That is why employers need to be answerable.

You stated oz doesn't have a wp system at all. http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/ It clearly does.

You are obviously against unions etc and completely missed my point that it is people with attitudes such as yourself that caused the union movement to be so strong.

On a good note it seems that qantas does not share your view of 'just get another job'. Employees are owed a duty of care by employers and it seems qantas are not amused at threatening letters sent by TET to the employees that complaned..... "Jetstar has demanded that TET retract the letters and apologise to the five crew'.

http://www.theaustra...f-1226103780617

i am having hard time seeing on any of your links about WP, do you actually know what WP is? Do you realize this is Thailand forum?

Again, unions already showed their usefulness.

It is because of people like me that people like you have a job, or have the option to sit at home and receive unemployment cheque. Because people like me either employ people like you or pay x10-x20 times taxes, which provides for people like you.wink.gif

If all emplyers were fair and reasonable then businesses would not have to explain themselves. There are unscrupulous employers out there that take advantage. There are many cases here in oz where employees were underpaid. That is why employers need to be answerable.

Actually, if employees were greatful and hard working then business would not need to "exploit" Show me one business where "usefull" staff are mistreated. and i do mean useful in the eyes of the business not in the eyes of employeerolleyes.gif

I am sure every cleaner thinks he is the core of the company and of course is under paid in his opinion.

How long have you live in Oz? you are a migrant from UK, is not that right?

i am having hard time seeing on any of your links about WP, do you actually know what WP is? Do you realize this is Thailand forum?

Again, unions already showed their usefulness.

It is because of people like me that people like you have a job, or have the option to sit at home and receive unemployment cheque. Because people like me either employ people like you or pay x10-x20 times taxes, which provides for people like you.wink.gif

I am not an employee in the true sense of the word. I am a salaried partner of the business, though I am not the managing partner.

Actually, if employees were greatful and hard working then business would not need to "exploit" Show me one business where "usefull" staff are mistreated. and i do mean useful in the eyes of the business not in the eyes of employeerolleyes.gif

I am sure every cleaner thinks he is the core of the company and of course is under paid in his opinion.

Here is one recently, first one on google. http://www.fairwork.gov.au/media-centre/media-releases/2011/07/pages/20110727-180000-returned-to-underpaid-cairns-workers.aspx

I can get many more if you like but don't think it is necessary. Main issue with many of them is being underpaid. Though there is a federal court decision handed down just a few days ago regarding a voluntary agreement made by x-strata mines with it's employees being illegal.

Yes I am a migrant from the UK. I am 47 and have lived in oz since I was 4. Though I would say for all intents and purposes I'm from oz. even though I'm not a citizen. I chose not to be a citizen because an EU passport allows me to work in Europe a lot easier, if I wished.

Sorry about the links, I have no idea of the issue with them, I think you mentioned this to me on another thread but I have no idea what is going wrong.

Here is one recently, first one on google. http://www.fairwork....ns-workers.aspx

I can get many more if you like but don't think it is necessary. Main issue with many of them is being underpaid. Though there is a federal court decision handed down just a few days ago regarding a voluntary agreement made by x-strata mines with it's employees being illegal.

Yes I am a migrant from the UK. I am 47 and have lived in oz since I was 4. Though I would say for all intents and purposes I'm from oz. even though I'm not a citizen. I chose not to be a citizen because an EU passport allows me to work in Europe a lot easier, if I wished.

Sorry about the links, I have no idea of the issue with them, I think you mentioned this to me on another thread but I have no idea what is going wrong.

And where does it say that those"underpaid" were valuable in the eyes of the business?

Also how many businesses are out there?

So now that employees got some extra money, company will close down and all will be unemployed! what a happy endingrolleyes.gif

Lets see how helpful it would be for the employees of this company to get a job at another

Kuffki, from the conditions you mention about your staff it seems you are a more than fair employer. Unfortunately there are many that aren't and they end up causing grief for the employers that do the right thing.

Here is one recently, first one on google. http://www.fairwork....ns-workers.aspx

And where does it say that those"underpaid" were valuable in the eyes of the business?

So now that employees got some extra money, company will close down and all will be unemployed! what a happy endingrolleyes.gif

Lets see how helpful it would be for the employees of this company to get a job at another

So you are saying that it is ok for a business to act illegally?

The law states the minimum wage. If a business cannot operate on that basis then they should certainly be shut down. The employees aren't getting 'extra money' they are asking for their entitlement under the law but are being taken advantage of by an unscrupulous employer. The employer should not be running a business if he/she cannot abide even provide the minimum wage.

Google is your friend to find there are many many employers that are doing this which is why there must be checks and balances in place.

Here is one recently, first one on google. http://www.fairwork.gov.au/media-centre/media-releases/2011/07/pages/20110727-180000-returned-to-underpaid-cairns-workers.aspx

er, um Australia has no problem you taking up Australian citizenship and keeping your British passport. You should check it out..

Kuffki, from the conditions you mention about your staff it seems you are a more than fair employer. Unfortunately there are many that aren't and they end up causing grief for the employers that do the right thing.

Thats the whole point, i am sure if you ask some of them, they will tell you how badly they are treated.and usually the ones who are really worth the money-either get pay rises or look for another job and the lazy, useless ones are the ones always complain about being used or underpaid or exploited.

And i am 99% certain its the same across the board

So you are saying that it is ok for a business to act illegally?

The law states the minimum wage. If a business cannot operate on that basis then they should certainly be shut down. The employees aren't getting 'extra money' they are asking for their entitlement under the law but are being taken advantage of by an unscrupulous employer. The employer should not be running a business if he/she cannot abide even provide the minimum wage.

Google is your friend to find there are many many employers that are doing this which is why there must be checks and balances in place.

No i am not saying business should act illegally, however it is hardly ever as black &white as that.

For example, if i have someone work night and pay him minimum wage, but he is at work 3 hours over time-legally i should pay him 3 hours over time. right?!

But that night person sleeps for 8 hours of his/her shift/ so legally i should either fire them or cut the salary(providing i have evidence) right?!

But to be a "nice" business, i do not fire him, but keep him on minimum wage. The reality is even though he/she is at work, he/she is asleep.

If this person goes to union and files a complaint, he/she will win for being exploited and underpaid(he/she will never say in complain that he/she sleeps for 8 hours of the shift) but in reality the employee is the one exploiting the company and using company time for sleeping

No i am not saying business should act illegally, however it is hardly ever as black &white as that.

For example, if i have someone work night and pay him minimum wage, but he is at work 3 hours over time-legally i should pay him 3 hours over time. right?!

But that night person sleeps for 8 hours of his/her shift/ so legally i should either fire them or cut the salary(providing i have evidence) right?!

But to be a "nice" business, i do not fire him, but keep him on minimum wage. The reality is even though he/she is at work, he/she is asleep.

If this person goes to union and files a complaint, he/she will win for being exploited and underpaid(he/she will never say in complain that he/she sleeps for 8 hours of the shift) but in reality the employee is the one exploiting the company and using company time for sleeping

I would make him take it off his holiday entitlement, but that may not be so easy in Thailand. I don't disagree with what you say here, my points are more about the employers who pay under the minimum wage as a matter of course. There are quite a few of them here unfortunately.

Thats the whole point, i am sure if you ask some of them, they will tell you how badly they are treated.and usually the ones who are really worth the money-either get pay rises or look for another job and the lazy, useless ones are the ones always complain about being used or underpaid or exploited.

Yes I see your point and agree that some, maybe most are like that. But some do have legitimate complaints regarding being paid under the minimum wage or being asked to work unreasonably long hours. It is because of those employees actions that cause problems with reputable employers having to jump through hoops to satisfy govt organisations.

er, um Australia has no problem you taking up Australian citizenship and keeping your British passport. You should check it out..

Hi Samran, yes I'm coming to a stage where I will just end up letting my British passport go. I'll be taking up oz citizenship before I wind down on my working life so that it is easier to come and go from here or even be in Thailand more permanently.

That's if I can pass that stupid english thing they make you do. :D

I would make him take it off his holiday entitlement, but that may not be so easy in Thailand. I don't disagree with what you say here, my points are more about the employers who pay under the minimum wage as a matter of course. There are quite a few of them here unfortunately.

You misunderstood what i was trying to say. That was just an example. My point is that the ones who supposedly underpay usually have the reason for it, which is never published and employee never speaks the truth of what actually takes place. Because i can not think of a business where the owner would underpay to good employees.

Yes I see your point and agree that some, maybe most are like that. But some do have legitimate complaints regarding being paid under the minimum wage or being asked to work unreasonably long hours. It is because of those employees actions that cause problems with reputable employers having to jump through hoops to satisfy govt organisations.

No doubt, however again in most cases, employee does not speak the truth of what actually takes place.

Employee would never confirm that he/she gets to go home earlier every day, but in return sometimes asked to stay longer(without pay)

Employee gets to pick holidays but sometimes asked to work on the weekends

It is give and take, but with many employees, especially the ones who complain, it is never about them giving anything to employer, it is only about them taking.

Jetstar is a budget airline, so staff are not expected to perform on the same level as full service airline, so they can not expect a salary of a full service airline.