Korn Wants Thaksin To Pay Back Taxes

webfact

Korn wants Thaksin to pay back taxes

By The Nation

Former finance minister Korn Chatikavanij yesterday called on the new government to uphold the national interest by making fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra pay taxes on the sale of Shin Corp to Singapore's Temasak in 2006, as he was found to be the real owner of the shares.

"I trust the Revenue Department. That means I think it is likely to collect the taxes if it determines there are unpaid taxes," said Korn, a senior Democrat Party figure.

As the authorised agency, the department would be considered negligent if it failed to collect the taxes from Thaksin, he said.

The Revenue Department is moving to return the Bt200 million cash and Bt1 billion in land and securities confiscated from Thaksin's children Panthongtae and Pinthongta for unpaid taxes of Bt5.6 billion each from the huge capital gains on the sale of the telecom company for Bt73 billion.

On Monday, Jitmanee Suwanapoon, spokeswoman for the department, said the Finance Ministry had approved the department's decision not to appeal the Central Tax

Court's ruling in December that Panthongtae and Pinthongta were not the real owners of the Shin Corp shares.

The court cited the finding by the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders that Thaksin and his wife Pojaman, who has since divorced him, were the real share-owners.

Jitmanee said the department had returned the Bt1.2 billion to Panthongtae and Pinthongta and was now considering whether to seek the taxes due from Thaksin and Pojaman.

This comes amid the transition from the Democrat-led government to the new administration led by the Pheu Thai Party, which is close to Thaksin. Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is Thaksin's sister.

Korn said the department should go after Thaksin and Pojaman for the unpaid taxes of Bt11 billion, as they were legally recognised as the real owners of the shares sold. There should still be time left before the statute of limitations expires, he said.

However, Thirachai Phuvanat-naranubala, expected to be the new finance minister, who recently resigned as secretary-general of the Securities and Exchange Commis-sion, might not support the efforts to tax Thaksin and his ex-wife, as he often acted favourably towards politicians in power, Korn added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-10

related topic:

Thai Finance Ministry To Exempt Thaksin's Children From Bt11 Billion In Taxes

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As the authorised agency, the department would be considered negligent if it failed to collect the taxes from Thaksin, he said.

The Revenue Department can exchange his prison term for the cash.

They don't pursue collecting his owed taxes and they get to serve his time in prison.

Korn "wants" ?

Did someone told him he lost the election ?

This guy is so out of touch with the reality,

But the best is to follow :

The (expected) new finance minister might not support the efforts to tax Thaksin and his ex-wife, as he often acted favourably towards politicians in power, Korn added.

ohmy.gif

I'm shocked ! How can he say that ?

Does he have some personal experience to substantiate such a an accusation ?

Edited by JurgenG

If the tax is due they should attempt to recover any outstanding........however if the Democrats have dithered about and Thaksin gets off on a legal technicality (Statute of limitations)......best to understand now where the failing

We have already seen the first moves regarding the tax issues surrounding Thaksin and his family it's strictly a case of .'' WE PAY NO TAXES." we are taking back our ill gotten gains which seem according to the statements made were in the children's name yet for some strange reason the ownership of those funds has by a miracle on a par with raising the dead has changed to another ownership .

The expression "PEJURY" springs to mind concerning the statements made under oath in the relevant court actions concerning the ownership of he monies involved.

Having now re-established his own little thiefdom fiefdom, Thaksin and his family again continue to ignore the rules of society that we all have to live in.

With vested interest groups along with a misguided and ignorant people supporting his criminality, and the manipulation of the laws to achieve his family's ends Thaksin and his family will eventually if allowed to carry on destroy the social fabric of this country.

Korn spoke the truth , he said what many people think, strangely enough those people were never even in government positions yet they feel the same as Korn, who incidentally is very well respected within the international financial community world wide which is more than can be said about Brother no.1.

Jurgen do you avoid paying taxes, do you flaunt the law, do you approve of rampant corruption along with blatant nepotism ?

It would seem to me that the flag you fly is the, " black flag" of anarchy,with your ideology.

Really says it all about the Democrat led outgoing Government....ooooppppsss forgot to do something ourselves ...ooppss the finance ministry (Korn) approved the revenue department's decision not to appeal the Courts ruling ... no wonder you guys lost..;-)

Korn "wants" ?

The (expected) new finance minister might not support the efforts to tax Thaksin and his ex-wife, as he often acted favourably towards politicians in power, Korn added.

ohmy.gif

As he is the opposition financial spokesman, might I suggest that this is what they pay him for? Perhaps PTP would understand it better if he got a few thousand thugs, blocked a major intersection and demanded it.

If the tax is due they should attempt to recover any outstanding........however if the Democrats have dithered about and Thaksin gets off on a legal technicality (Statute of limitations)......best to understand now where the failing

Day 1 - Finance Ministry decides Thaksin liable for tax

Day 2 - Thaksin sycophants start giving excuses for why it won't be collected

Here's a suggestion. Why don't PTP insert a clause in the Statute of Limitations act exempting all tax cases over, say, 1 billion baht - in the national interest and to make sure major criminals don't profit from their crimes. Some might object, claiming it is a law directed at one person, but that was ignored when Thaksin changed laws to benefit himself and AIS.

Ample Rich in the Virgin islands sold over 329 million Shin Corp shares to Pinthongta and Panthongtae at 1 baht each in April 2006,the next business day they sold the lot on the SET to Temasek at 49.25 baht each.

The tax department said as the kids had received the shares at lower than market price they should pay tax on the profit.

Thaksin said he didn't own the shares at Ample Rich which were sold to his kids, (he needed to avoid accusations of assets concealment).

So who would be crazy enough to sell 329 million shares at 1 baht each when they're worth 49.25 baht?!

Anyway, originally the kids testified before the tax court they were not nominees, but were the real owners of the shares- so pay up the tax goes the logic.

But when the Supreme court ruled Thaksin was the real owner of the shares, the kids claimed they should then not be liable to tax. Using that defence, the children are admitting they lied all along.

So I guess they consider it's better to be caught lying than be forced to pay tax on such enormous profits!

It is amazing that so many in this forum has such an obsession with Thaksin and everything related... can't be healthy .. get over your obsession and try to contribute to the society in a positive way instead and no I do not mean have an extra Singha at the bar or where ever you office is .;-)

Thaksin's family get their money back immediately, despite the increasing-uncertainty that the true-owner of the shares might ever be charged or pay the money he may owe, to the detriment of the country's finances. Korn is right to be concerned, that the good situation he just left for the incoming-government, is deteriorating.

Meanwhile the poor will not get their universal national minimum-wage as-promised pre-election, because Thaksin decides the poor areas will continue to get much-less than Bangkok or Phuket, and there is suddenly widespread doubt as to whether it can be afforded anyway.

Remind me again, Thaksin & PTP are the 'Defenders of the Poor', right ? :blink:

So are u JurgenG ! You seem to forget the "red shirts want" motto when they were acting as terrorists.

And u seem to forget that the paymaster and the red shirts have been demanding equal justice for all and no double standards. In fact the paymaster has proclaimed himself as the champion of democracy and justice.

Lets see them put their money where their mouth is. Never happen.

And they say they will build reconciliation. Will that include those who should be punished going to jail etc. Never happen.

The various ministries will now be in instant panic to please thaksin, partly because they are terrified of him and they know full well that he is the ultimate leader of this scaly gang of thieves and he is a quite ruthless operator who has no conscience about sacrificying his beloved clone (sister) for his own nasty ends.

<snip>

Anyway, originally the kids testified before the tax court they were not nominees, but were the real owners of the shares- so pay up the tax goes the logic.

But when the Supreme court ruled Thaksin was the real owner of the shares, the kids claimed they should then not be liable to tax. Using that defence, the children are admitting they lied all along.

So I guess they consider it's better to be caught lying than be forced to pay tax on such enormous profits!

Actually, I don't think that would be considered as lying.

It's like saying a convicted murderer should also be charged with perjury because he said he was innocent.

The kids claimed that they owned the shares. The courts disagreed, saying they were just nominees. Why should they pay tax on something that the courts say they didn't own?

The finance ministry should now start (or should have a while ago) going after Thaksin for the tax. Although, would the confiscation of 46 B baht have covered any of that?

Day 1 - Finance Ministry decides Thaksin liable for tax

Day 2 - Thaksin sycophants start giving excuses for why it won't be collected

Here's a suggestion. Why don't PTP insert a clause in the Statute of Limitations act exempting all tax cases over, say, 1 billion baht - in the national interest and to make sure major criminals don't profit from their crimes. Some might object, claiming it is a law directed at one person, but that was ignored when Thaksin changed laws to benefit himself and AIS.

Agree, such a clause is highly desirable, it should also cover money laundering, so that drug lords can never have an 'out'.

It is amazing that so many in this forum has such an obsession with Thaksin and everything related... can't be healthy .. get over your obsession and try to contribute to the society in a positive way instead and no I do not mean have an extra Singha at the bar or where ever you office is .;-)

You have your obsessions, I'll have mine. I will continue to criticize thaksin in the hope that more people realize what a snake this man is and realize the huge and multi-faceted damage he has done to thailand, in the hope that people learn to not allow scaly people like this gain so much power over the country.

Getting more people to be aware of what values and morals mean and how they are important to building a strong country with equality and better opportunities for all is a positive contribution.

Edited by scorecard

This thread is all about contributing to society, or rather a certain elite-family's attempts to evade ever contributing, wouldn't you agree ? ;)

You mean contribute by doing something like paying taxes? I do! Or is your cowardly leader in Dubai exempt? I feel for the poor folk who had ample amounts of smoke blown up their asses and are not educated enough to see it coming from miles away. That tax revenue could be helping the rural Thais in so many ways but the Shin dynasties greed is unbelievable and as for all the people saying she is different, well, why does she not stop this travesty? Same shit different day!

You have your obsessions, I'll have mine. I will continue to criticize thaksin in the hope that more people realize what a snake this man is and realize the huge and multi-facated damage he has done to thailand, in the hope that people learn to not allow scaly people like this gain so much power over the country.

Getting more people to be aware of what values and moral mean and how they are important to building a strong country with equality and better opportunities for all is a positive contribution.

The sad thing is however that many people who voted for Thaksin know that he is a cheater and liar however they would prefer him over a gentleman who is incompetent. At the end of the days the people vote for the person who puts money in their pockets and Abhisit failed badly.

This thread is all about contributing to society, or rather a certain elite-family's attempts to evade ever contributing, wouldn't you agree ? ;)

Let the Court decide on these matters , the Court should know the facts best and decide according to the Country's law and assuming that both you and I respect the law then that should be the end of the story ... wouldn't you agree ?

Korn "wants" ?

ohmy.gif

As he is the opposition financial spokesman, might I suggest that this is what they pay him for? Perhaps PTP would understand it better if he got a few thousand thugs, blocked a major intersection and demanded it.

Well said, wouldn't hurt them to have some of their own medicine forced on them.

You have your obsessions, I'll have mine. I will continue to criticize thaksin in the hope that more people realize what a snake this man is and realize the huge and multi-facated damage he has done to thailand, in the hope that people learn to not allow scaly people like this gain so much power over the country.

Getting more people to be aware of what values and moral mean and how they are important to building a strong country with equality and better opportunities for all is a positive contribution.

The sad thing is however that many people who voted for Thaksin know that he is a cheater and liar however they would prefer him over a gentleman who is incompetent. At the end of the days the people vote for the person who puts money in their pockets and Abhisit failed badly.

Thats' your opinion and your entitled to it. I don't agree.

Ever heard of vote buying? Ever heard of cunning and no conscience manipulation of the uneducated and unaware poor. Ever heard of taking advantage of the fact that a very very large % of all Thais have no experience of more sophisticated processes of democracy and they therefore vote for the person who will promise to keep pork prices down, promise them pay rises which will quite possibly do massive damage to the economy and cause a big jump in inflation, cause large job looses, vote for the person who comes just at the right time and hands out a bag of rice or 20BAht phone cards and uses it for a self aggrandizement photo opportunity?. (Note: I didn't say stupid, I said uneducated and unaware.)

Abhisit was far too slow to get a number of initiates up and running to try to fix the problem not put band-aids over the problems, and he paid the penalty.

To say he totally failed is not correct. Abhisit and Korn deserve a lot of credit for what they did achieve.

Unfortunately, slowness seems to be a hallmark of the democrats.

I repeat I will continue to criticize thaksin and his cronies, they do far far more damage then good, and it's all for one nasty purpose, selfish greed and with no conscience.

Edited by scorecard

20 posts ... still "young" and full of hope smile.gif

Their "guru" is Sondhi, here some background

The guy has recently (one of) his conviction for defamation confirmed by the court.

The best is to get a big breath, relax... and have some fun biggrin.gif

Problem 1. They are IN, so now cough up what you promissed. I dare you ""FAMILY""

Let the Court decide on these matters , the Court should know the facts best and decide according to the Country's law and assuming that both you and I respect the law then that should be the end of the story ... wouldn't you agree ?

Perhaps you should go back and read the article, particularly the part that mentions the court decision.

Jurgen -- Korn is a seated MP and the shadow Finance Minister. He is doing his job.

The country should extend the tax exempt status enjoyed by a few to everyone, that should take care of the bickering. Actually, Thailand should become a tax free haven, since most of the tax is squandered by inept government, flows into shady pockets by corrupt government, or is not collected by lazy government. On further thought, maybe Thailand is better off without a government?

This post is meant to be ironic...

20 posts ... still "young" and full of hope smile.gif

Their "guru" is Sondhi, here some background http://www.thaivisa....B-thai-opinion/

The guy has recently (one of) his conviction for defamation confirmed by the court.

The best is to get a big breath, relax... and have some fun biggrin.gif

Haha..been in Thailand since 95...still young at heart though and do not have time to do 20 post's a day..;-) .. I am aware of Sondhi ; as Thaksin also a divisive person, he did not regret the Democrat led government's failure to win the election as this was partly due to it's inability to take out / destroy the Shinawatra's .... sometimes hard to find a place in the middle.

Yes let's enjoy .. have a nice day.

Ample Rich in the Virgin islands sold over 329 million Shin Corp shares to Pinthongta and Panthongtae at 1 baht each in April 2006,the next business day they sold the lot on the SET to Temasek at 49.25 baht each.

The tax department said as the kids had received the shares at lower than market price they should pay tax on the profit.

Thaksin said he didn't own the shares at Ample Rich which were sold to his kids, (he needed to avoid accusations of assets concealment).

So who would be crazy enough to sell 329 million shares at 1 baht each when they're worth 49.25 baht?!

Nope. The court ruling was that they were not the owners. Hence, the tax obligations that attached to the sale of shares was not their legal obligation to pay. If there are taxes due, then the owners of the shares must pay those taxes. However, the problem might be that the government had already seized assets from Mr. Thaksin and his ex wife. As such, it might be argued that the amounts owed were already collected. I am not saying that taxes were not due, rather I am pointing out that someone took a gamble on the case and when the case could not be proven, the little house of cards came falling down.

New Finance Minister: "Now, where's that file about Thaksin's owed taxes? Does anyone know about it or where it is? ... No? ... Oh, well, that's the end of that case. What's next today? ... What's this? ... Pay money to the Red Shirt leaders to keep them happy after not getting cabinet positions ... Where do I sign APPROVED?"

biggrin.gif

Edited by renaissanc