Testosterone Gel

machesta

What's it for ?, just curious. :)

When I was in End-stage-liver-disease, my testoterone dropped to a level that was no longer readable. I used the getl for about a month. It basically increases the testoterone level for people.

Other than more hair growing on my arms and legs, etc., I didn't notice much difference. Of course, I was too sick to be interested in sex at the time.

It might help older men get back in the saddle again.

The stuff smells terrible and you have to be careful not to let any female get it on them (even from towels, trash, etc.).

I only used it for about a month, and once I got well, I no longer needed to use it.

RickThai

• 1 month later...

Supplemental testosterone can do much for a man, but not only sexually. From age 30 on, our muscle mass decreases year by year. It is most certainly related to diminishing testosterone. That's one of the very bad things in old age. Immobility brought on by weak 'pins '.Some say that there is a danger relating to cancer of the prostate and advise against supplementation. As for me, I am willing to take the risk. May I ask, does this outfit in Australia supply without need for a doctor prescription? Many thanks in advance- S.

If it's in Australia, I'm 99.9% sure they would require a prescription.

But why bother with online ordering and why bother with gels?

Injectable testosterone is readily available in Thailand without prescription, very fast and easy to do yourself, relatively painless procedure and one show will last for one month. Cheap too and no messing with gels thatneed to be applied, what, every day?

No topical forms available in Thailand AFAIK. Available forms are injection and capsules only. All OTC.

It is imperative that you have at eeast a PSA to screen for prostate cancer before starting on this. it will not cause cancer of the prostate but it will greatly speed up the growth of any early malignancy that might be present so need to rule that out first.

• 4 weeks later...
my PSA is fine

and after reading this

i wonder if there is any

harm in just getting a shot once,

just to see if it helps this slowly growing old man :ermm:

I'm currently doing testosterone therapy with an endocrinologist from Bangkok Hospital.

I have had three injections so far. The first two are relatively close together -- maybe 4 weeks apart? -- and after that the normal interval is one injection every three months. He said not to even bother with a blood test to check the levels before the second injection.

So far, the statistics show a small improvement in my hormone levels. I had been hoping that combined with a 3x/week gym ritual that muscle growth (and/or fat metabolism) would be enhanced. Nada. Subjectively, my overall energy level seems higher, but that could well be just a result of the gym workouts. There definitely has been no improvement in libido and/or corresponding performance.

Between the blood test, doctor/nursing fees and the testosterone itself, it costs over B11,000 per injection, and BUPA insurance does NOT cover testosterone therapy.

And, not that the procedure is traumatic, but it is a bit different that getting a flu shot. The testosterone injection is viscous and oily so requires a hefty-gauge needle and takes about five minutes to inject. You will definitely feel it during the injection and for a day or two after.

I would recommend that, rather than just a one off injection as a test, that you do at least two at the appropriate interval, then judge how it goes. A follow-up blood test three months after the second injection seems to be the way to see how well the therapy is going.

FWIW, I'm 56-year old male with a history of very low testosterone levels.

I am doing my injections with 24 gage needles, which are really tiny and it doesn't take nowhere near 5 min to do it. No pain at all and during the procedure and as for feeling is a few days after, I think it's a hit and miss, sometimes I feel nothing at all sometimes my butt sore for a few days after.

I am not sure sure what are they doing but 11,000 per injection sounds like a rip off. I started getting them at Paolo Memorial Hospital and was paying 1500 per injection which included doctor/nursing fees/ prostate exam and injection. I thought it was too expensive for this simple procedure and I definetelly didn't like doctor shoving finger up my bum every month. After a while I started doing it myself.

I suggest you check a different hospital, I can't see the reason paying 11,000 per injection. even if you add a bloodcheck and whatever else, it won't come out as 11000 anywhere close.

Injecting T can be effective but it seems gel will deliver a more even level and is easy.

The gel doesn't smell terrible as someone complained, the hydroalcoholic medium may smell for a couple of minutes it ain't nothing and nothing lingers.

As far as I know as Sheryl says not available here.

The regular price of the two brands that big pharma has controlling the market is inordinately high.

It may be that as in America even if something is controlled it can be ordered by prescription from a formulating pharmacy.

I personally don't suffer from low levels and it is academic but have looked into T in some depth and may take gel regularly as i age. Libido is just one benefit (is it a benefit?).

More important may be that it tends to put spring in one's step mentally and physically. You may exercise more with all the associated benefits; to improve mood and confidence; also to aid good sleep; and very importantly may counteract depression for some.

Sheryl is bang on about the prostate.....in fact prostate cancer tends to increase at the age the T level falls. The other thing previously worried about was that a body builder a year would drop dead. But these nuts were overdosing drastically.

cheers Cheeryble

What's it for ?, just curious. :)

When I was in End-stage-liver-disease, my testoterone dropped to a level that was no longer readable. I used the getl for about a month. It basically increases the testoterone level for people.

Other than more hair growing on my arms and legs, etc., I didn't notice much difference. Of course, I was too sick to be interested in sex at the time.

It might help older men get back in the saddle again.

The stuff smells terrible and you have to be careful not to let any female get it on them (even from towels, trash, etc.).

I only used it for about a month, and once I got well, I no longer needed to use it.

RickThai

Sorry to hear of your probs, stay cool man and hope all goes well. T/A

I took the tablets, and it did nothing for my sex life, in fact I could not even get aroused as easily as before.

Stopped taking them, I realise I should have seen a doctor first about getting my levels tested, but was a prat.

My arousal is OK but the equipment is another story. Wish l was 20 again. :D

What age do you need to be to get regular testosterone shots from a doctor / medical professional?

If it's a competent and conscientious professional, nothing to do with age, depends on your testosterone levels as measured on blood test.

If someone just interested in making a buck, may not depend on anything...but it's not going to do you any therapeutic good if your levels weren't low to begin with.

See beano's post

I am doing my injections with 24 gage needles, which are really tiny and it doesn't take nowhere near 5 min to do it. No pain at all and during the procedure and as for feeling is a few days after, I think it's a hit and miss, sometimes I feel nothing at all sometimes my butt sore for a few days after.

I wonder what gauge needle my nurse uses? My injections are done at Bangkok Hospital-Hua Hin, and each time the nurse apologized for have to use a larger needle than I was accustomed to for other injections. A friend who is getting testosterone shots at Bumrungrad Hospital (or maybe BNH?) also says it takes about five minutes to inject. During the injection process, I can feel the liquid spreading (pooling?) in my buttock, felling very similar to a light bruise. That "bruise" feeling fades in the following 24 hours.

I am not sure sure what are they doing but 11,000 per injection sounds like a rip off. I started getting them at Paolo Memorial Hospital and was paying 1500 per injection which included doctor/nursing fees/ prostate exam and injection. I thought it was too expensive for this simple procedure and I definetelly didn't like doctor shoving finger up my bum every month. After a while I started doing it myself.

Do you know which pharmaceutical company's testosterone you got for B1500 per injection? Right now, I cannot recall the brand of mine, but I remember is was one of the big pharma companies.

Why on earth was your doctor "shoving finger up [your] bum every month"? And, were you being injected monthly?

I suggest you check a different hospital, I can't see the reason paying 11,000 per injection. even if you add a bloodcheck and whatever else, it won't come out as 11000 anywhere close.

The blood test alone is around B2500. I know there is a cheaper test that shows only total testosterone, but I wanted the breakdown showing "free testosterone," as well.

I personally don't suffer from low levels and it is academic but have looked into T in some depth and may take gel regularly as i age. Libido is just one benefit (is it a benefit?).

More important may be that it tends to put spring in one's step mentally and physically. You may exercise more with all the associated benefits; to improve mood and confidence; also to aid good sleep; and very importantly may counteract depression for some.

I had researched the benefits of testosterone therapy and had high hopes, but alas, I don't feel all that different, especially in the libido area, even though I "checked all the boxes" for low testosterone symptoms.

When I started on the gel several years ago I was told you will not become superman but that the long term benefits made it worth while. If you have high cholestrol testosterone supplamentation has shown to lower cholestrol levels.

When I started on the gel several years ago I was told you will not become superman but that the long term benefits made it worth while. If you have high cholestrol testosterone supplamentation has shown to lower cholestrol levels.

That is because some of the Testosterone aromatize to Estrogen and E has a good influence on Cholesterol levels.More T means more E and if E is too high, you will start growing boobs.

Edited by Shurup

Do you know which pharmaceutical company's testosterone you got for B1500 per injection? Right now, I cannot recall the brand of mine, but I remember is was one of the big pharma companies.

Why on earth was your doctor "shoving finger up [your] bum every month"? And, were you being injected monthly?

One 1 ml amp of Testoviron Depot (by Shering (sp???) Germany) only costs 150 or 200 baht at the outside pharmacies, 300 in the hospital. The rest from 1500 baht is doctor and nursing charges. Yes doing monthly.

And about the finger - checking the prostate.

Thanks, I will ask my doctor (an endocrinologist) about "Testoviron Depot" on my next visit (February).

I wonder, too, if a monthly injection regimen might be more effective than my current once-every-3-months, as far as providing an even level of testosterone, and will ask him about that. It could well be that what I am getting is a time-release deal, so not make a difference, but would like to know nonetheless. I wonder if the reason you don't endure 5-minute, slightly uncomfortable, injections is that you are maybe getting about 1/3 of the physical volume injected each time?

Interesting about the cholesterol, too. I had slightly high cholesterol readings, so maybe I will have them check again on my next blood draw in February to see if that improved. Basically, I'm looking for a reason to continue the shots. My mood, sleep needs and libido have seen no change. Also, I was disappointed that with a 3x/week gym routine that muscle build/fat reduction was not a benefit, either.

My doctor never did a digital probe of my prostate. He looked at my PSA levels and one other statistic which now escapes my memory. He did do a testicle exam at the first appointment, but that's the only physical he performed.

Thanks, I will ask my doctor (an endocrinologist) about "Testoviron Depot" on my next visit (February).

I am sure you are getting Testoviron Depot, this is the only form of injectable testosterone approved in Thailand as far as I know.

I wonder, too, if a monthly injection regimen might be more effective than my current once-every-3-months, as far as providing an even level of testosterone, and will ask him about that. It could well be that what I am getting is a time-release deal, so not make a difference, but would like to know nonetheless.

Will comment more on it at the end of my reply.

I wonder if the reason you don't endure 5-minute, slightly uncomfortable, injections is that you are maybe getting about 1/3 of the physical volume injected each time?

Doing injections myself now as I mentioned so I am sure I am injecting a full volume. I am using a 18 gage needle to fill up the syringe, then switch it to a 24 gage. It's really hard to fill in using a small gage needle and if you touch a bottom of an amp with it, it's not gonna be sharp and will hurt going in. Maybe they are silly or trying to save a penny, tell them to switch the needle to a small gage when it's full.

Interesting about the cholesterol, too. I had slightly high cholesterol readings, so maybe I will have them check again on my next blood draw in February to see if that improved. Basically, I'm looking for a reason to continue the shots. My mood, sleep needs and libido have seen no change. Also, I was disappointed that with a 3x/week gym routine that muscle build/fat reduction was not a benefit, either.

I am not a doctor and I don't know your case but I personally think you aren't getting enough T to see any benefits doing it once in 3 months. Normal high T production by healthy male is 11 mg per day, that's 77 ml per week or 154 in 2 weeks. 250 mg of Testoviron Depot contain 180 mg of T (see attached pics of the Testoviron Depot insert). The drug is slowly released into the blood stream from the injectiuon (depot) site and the drug name is a Testosterone Enanthate which has a biolagical half life of about 2 weeks. Depending on the injection site and your body composition, drug release time from the depot site may vary quite a bit (it releases slower from the fatty tissues), can't really know that, but to make it simple, about half of the T will be gone in about 2 weeks which will leave you with 90 mg. After the next 2 weeks you will only have 45 mg left, then 22.5 mg after next 2 weeks... In 3 month you will be running empty.

Your doctor probably being overly cautious about it and trying to keep your testicles active as any form of exogenous testosterone will stop your natural T production and testicles will begin to shrink. It called a testicular athrophy and hence he examides them. Testicular athrophy is a temporally condition that would reverse itself over time if you stop doing injections, but if you started doing them because of the low T levels in the first place, this is something you don't need to worry about (unless you plan to have children, as spermatogenesis would temporally stop too).

See the attached pictures of the insert from a box of the Testoviron Depot, check the dosage and discuss it with your doctor. However if I were you, I would change the doctor or/and clinic, 11,000 baht is way too expensive for an injection (my opinion).

post-111234-0-33493200-1323559064_thumb.

post-111234-0-64199900-1323559113_thumb.

post-111234-0-95819700-1323559147_thumb.

post-111234-0-47123300-1323559166_thumb.

post-111234-0-88632700-1323559184_thumb.

Those who are wondering why they are not getting the expected results from testosterone replacement a(and those thinking of starting it) would do well to read up on it in the medical literature -- not to be confused with various internet blogs and sites connected with the selling of products.

it is not a "magic bullet" and in the majority of men studied, does not increase libido or sexual performance, although it does do so in specific cases where unusually low testosterone levels were the primary cause.

It would be best to discuss your reasons for taking it/expectations with a health professional specializing in male health. As tends to be the case, the benefits of TRT has been over-hyped in mass media and by commercial sites. Which is not to say that some men with low libido issues would not benefit from it.

The effect of testosterone supplementation in men whose levels are decreased due to the normal aging process (as opposed to primary hypogonadism where levels are low for age due to a pathological condition) has yet to be properly determined. There is a large scale longitudinal study iof this currently underway by the US National Inst of Health (NIH); it will be some years before the results are known.

Some useful links

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/testosterone_replacement_therapy/hic_testosterone_replacement_therapy.aspx

http://rt5.cceb.upenn.edu/portal/page/portal/T-Trial%20Portal/T-TrialPublicPageMain

Going back to the injection/gel/tablet issue, should note that the tablet form is not approved in many countries due to concern about effects on the liver. If one is going to take this, gel form would certainly be preferred but as not available in Thailand, then injection.

• Like 1

Going back to the injection/gel/tablet issue, should note that the tablet form is not approved in many countries due to concern about effects on the liver. If one is going to take this, gel form would certainly be preferred but as not available in Thailand, then injection.

Agree with everything except for the above quote. From what I know about Andriol, it is absorbed by the lymphatic system as oppose of being absorbed by liver then entering into the blood stream. Many other oral forms of Testosterone are modified, 17 alpha-methyl group is added to let the drug withstand deactivation by the liver, that makes it toxic to the liver and if taken in higher doses and for longer periods of time, it can caouse liver damage including liver cancer. Andriol, Proviron (not approved in Thailand I guess) and a few others are exceptions as they don't include 17 alpha-methyl group and don't cause liver toxicity.

On another note, from what I know (but I might be wrong) all the Birth Controll pills in order for the hormone to reach the blood streem are 17 alpha-alcylated. They don't cause any troubles as the doses are pretty low.

Edited by Shurup

One 1 ml amp of Testoviron Depot (by Shering (sp???) Germany) only costs 150 or 200 baht at the outside pharmacies, 300 in the hospital. The rest from 1500 baht is doctor and nursing charges. Yes doing monthly.

And about the finger - checking the prostate.

I noticed one hospital bill shows the medication as "Nebido IM (1000 mg/4 mL) Injection," which is made by Bayer.

If your monthly Testoviron Depot is 1 ml and my once-every-three-month injection is 4ml, that could account for my relatively long injections.

Seems like online pricing for Nebido is $200 to $300 (roughly THB6000 to THB9000), so the price I'm being charged is in line with that.