Envoy Warns Of EU Advisory Against Tourists Using Phuket Tuk-Tuks

webfact

Envoy warns of EU advisory against tourists using Phuket tuk-tuks

phuket-1-10918cxKYNDMUjbwPMSQxIGgUxiYhDw.jpg

Austrian Ambassador to Thailand Johannes Peterlik warned Phuket's top

officials of a Europe-wide travel advisory telling tourists not to use

tuk-tuks while on holiday in Phuket.

PHUKET: -- The continued failure of local authorities to address problems of tuk-tuk drivers with foreign tourists could force European Union (EU) member states to issue a joint travel advisory warning against using tuk-tuks while in Phuket, the Austrian Ambassador to Thailand has warned.

Austrian Ambassador to Thailand Johannes Peterlik issued the warning to local officials during the third meeting between honorary consuls and Phuket officials at Phuket Provincial Hall on Wednesday.

Dr Johannes, who grew up in Thailand from 1976 to 1981 and has served as ambassador to the country for two years, said he and fellow EU diplomats in Bangkok had been monitoring the situation closely, but had seen little progress.

“I think it is important for all the stakeholders involved to realize the EU stands together as one today. More than half of the consuls here are from EU member states… This is not a coincidence. You can check the numbers of tourists that arrive from these countries annually,” he said.

In the future all of these states will share information and issue travel advice with the same wording, Amb Peterlik assured.

“We have been watching this situation very closely, for the last one-and-a-half years, to be precise… and we are concerned in Bangkok.

“We are happy to support the Thai police and authorities in implementing the law. We know how difficult it can be, but we have to rely on the rule of law as it is written. We have to rely on your leadership – the personalities of leaders, both provincial and national representatives.

“If we can rely on that you will see the support we are trying to give you. If we cannot rely on that… we will be forced to specifically highlight Phuket as a destination in Thailand where it is not advised to use a tuk-tuk, one of the symbols of Thailand, as a means of transportation,” he said.

Sitting next to Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha, he told the gathering he understood “how difficult” some EU tourists could be, but said that he and other diplomatic staff were duty-bound to protect their citizens traveling in the country.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=10917

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-09-02

Sitting next to Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha, he told the gathering he understood “how difficult” some EU tourists could be..

Sorry but this must be a translation problem - as it infers that because EU tourists are "difficult" they are in some way responsible for some / part of the problem.

(If they are so difficult tell the EU not to send its tourists here!!)

Gee, how much louder and clearer do you need it to be. What part of 'deal with it' don't you understand Mr Governor. Why not put place adverts on the back of all tuk tuks that says 'tourists ripped off here - we don't want you'.

Ditto Jetskis.

Edited by LivinginKata
Insensitive remark removed

Mandate and enforce that all Taxis in Thailand run 'On-the-meter', and increase the flag-fall fee a little. Result, you will have more taxis in Phuket, and they will do ok out of short trips. And the rip off tuk-tuks and motor-cy taxis will wither on the vine. (how many regular visitors to Bkk take a tuk-tuk when they can opt for a taxi!?)

If the EU issues a travel advisory regarding tuktuks, it may possibly invalidate any travel insurance should a passenger be involved in an accident whilst travelling in a tuktuk. Which goes back to another recent thread on the subject.

There has never been this much adverse publicity regarding the tuktuks. But will it result in any action or policy changes?

Gee, how much louder and clearer do you need it to be. What part of 'deal with it' don't you understand Mr Governor. Why not put place adverts on the back of all tuk tuks that says 'tourists ripped off here - we don't want you'.

Ditto Jetskis.

I am amazed that Jet Skis didnt rate a warning too. There is olenty of documentaion on Scams, intimidation and downright theft in this industry.

Mandate and enforce that all Taxis in Thailand run 'On-the-meter', and increase the flag-fall fee a little. Result, you will have more taxis in Phuket, and they will do ok out of short trips. And the rip off tuk-tuks and motor-cy taxis will wither on the vine. (how many regular visitors to Bkk take a tuk-tuk when they can opt for a taxi!?)

Plenty of evidence to show that transport is controlle by gangs, any newbies try to move in get moved out just as quick.

Plenty of evidence to show that transport is controlle by gangs, any newbies try to move in get moved out just as quick.

Get moved out - more like get beaten to near death. Consider the bus driver that drove the first bus between Patong and Karon/Kata. The gov licence for that route is still available, yet no operator will touch it. Wonder why ??

“If we can rely on that you will see the support we are trying to give you. If we cannot rely on that… we will be forced to specifically highlight Phuket as a destination in Thailand where it is not advised to use a tuk-tuk, one of the symbols of Thailand, as a means of transportation,” he said.

Great idea. The mayor and his mafia have made sure that tuk tuks are the only form of public transsport in Patong. Time to introduce public buses and metered taxis.

Personally I think the consuls should go further and advise against travel to Phuket entirely until they can clean up there.

Edited by Arkady

Having been married to a Thai for more than 30 years we often get asked where are the best places to go in Thailand. I always tell them not to go to Phuket and why. As far as I know most of them take that on board and don't go there.

I would imagine I am not the only one doing this, if there are many TV readers doing the same it must be having an impact on tourist numbers to the island.

It,s not only the Tuk Tuk / Jet ski scams but beach deck chairs are really expensive compared to other places in fact everyting is more expensive in Phuket.

While I understand that every one wants to make as much as possible from tourism Phuket seems to have taken that to a whole new level.

Having been married to a Thai for more than 30 years we often get asked where are the best places to go in Thailand. I always tell them not to go to Phuket and why. As far as I know most of them take that on board and don't go there.

I would imagine I am not the only one doing this, if there are many TV readers doing the same it must be having an impact on tourist numbers to the island.

It,s not only the Tuk Tuk / Jet ski scams but beach deck chairs are really expensive compared to other places in fact everyting is more expensive in Phuket.

While I understand that every one wants to make as much as possible from tourism Phuket seems to have taken that to a whole new level.

The whole place is a mess. You know most countries that have nice beach areas ensure that the entire experience of arriving there and riding to your hotel has you pass beautiful CLEAN scenery. But Thais seem to miss this point. Rubbish, trashy shoulders, delapidated buildings. If Thailand wants to attract the high-end tourists it's always spouting about, then it needs to clean up its act. But judging from the way most Thais keep their homes, you know it will never happen.

Great idea. The mayor and his mafia have made sure that tuk tuks are the only form of public transsport in Patong. Time to introduce public buses and metered taxis.

Personally I think the consuls should go further and advise against travel to Phuket entirely until they can clean up there.

I agree with your last sentence 100% just warning against not using Tuk-Tuks is not going far enough.

If every country in the the EU issued a warning against travel to Phuket and a few other countries followed suit it just might have the desired effect.

Maybe a 'miracle' will happen and it will all disappear overnight, and all the grotty looking buildings and dangerous pavements will be cleaned up and repaired, and the roads will all be properly marked out and have cats eyes, so you can see where you ae going at night, and who knows, people's head and tail lights might miraculously start working, and last but not least, corruption at all levels will suddenly stop and laws will be enforced and unbiased rather than biased in favour of Thai's in many cases where they involve foreigners and suddenly Thailand can become the Amazing Land of Smiles once again. Maybe it will need a MIRACLE,, but one thing is for sure, these miracles need to be happening soon, from what i see of the opinions on TV Forum of the many foreigners living in and visiting this country, and some Thai's i talk to as well.

The whole place is a mess. You know most countries that have nice beach areas ensure that the entire experience of arriving there and riding to your hotel has you pass beautiful CLEAN scenery. But Thais seem to miss this point. Rubbish, trashy shoulders, delapidated buildings. If Thailand wants to attract the high-end tourists it's always spouting about, then it needs to clean up its act. But judging from the way most Thais keep their homes, you know it will never happen.

Very true. IF the foreign governments are really serious about resolving this issue once and for all, take a full scale marketing approach to it and make it absolutely clear to all potential tourists that there are plenty of other holiday destinations in Thailand where they are less likely to be ripped off than in Phuket. Sufficient loss of income will certainly have the desired result, and the scams will be stamped out. But will it happen? Don't hold your breath.

Its a small country but the foreign ministry of Belgium give already warnings for scamming of tourists in Phuket, Pattaya and Koh Samui.

Especcialy scamming by TUK-TUK and taxidrivers, renting of vehicles and other materials.

They also warning for fake policeman and civil servants.

And so does Australia and many other countries, just Google and see the travel advice of your own country.

I had friends who went to Pukhet 5 years in a row, but now they choose another destination out of Thailand. The got sicked to be scammed all the time.

EU tourist are difficult to deal with. The obvious solution is for the EU to teach its tourist to enjoy getting scammed and ripped off, these are part of the true experience to be had while on holiday in Thailand. Other 'non-EU' tourist don't seem to mind, only the EU tourist are reluctant to accept this kind of treatment without a smile on their faces.

The reality is that the scams, whether tuk tuk, jet-ski, or whatever, are merely the symptoms of the underlying disease which is corruption. For diplomats to warn their citizens to be careful about tuk tuks or jet-skis doesn't really address the problem. To warn them about the corruption and virtual lawlessness that exists on Phuket would be a stronger worded and more effective way to put it, and might then possibly be more of an incentive for the powers that be to clean up their image.

But I ain't holding my breath.

Edited by iSabai

The reality is that the scams, whether tuk tuk, jet-ski, or whatever, are merely the symptoms of the underlying disease which is corruption. For diplomats to warn their citizens to be careful about tuk tuks or jet-skis doesn't really address the problem.

Thats the nut of the issue..

The power players of town are the direct beneficiaries of multi million baht monthly income streams from the transport cartels.. Pain / Prab / the senior police who lease them.. These guys want twice as many, doing half as much work, charging twice as much per trip !! Every extra tuktuk on the streets is a direct in the pocket income earner. And secondarily is a controllable voting and protesting block should it be needed.

Most Tourist who travel far and beyond know certain countries do rip off the tourist and Thailand is one of those countries and the root of it is corruption which starts at the top of the ladder and at the bottom of that ladder are i.e the Tuk Tuk drivers the Jet ski hires motorbike hires car hires so everyone in the chain wants some of the pie and EU or Aussi or any other than Thai will get ripped off while traveling in this country.....Who can stop this????????? NO ONE not the cops or the Governor or TOM DICK OR HARRY....

Consul.... Honorary Consul.... don't waste your breath NOTHING WILL GET DONE THIS IS THAILAND FOR THAI PEOPLE just accept it.............

Thai also get screwed here too..... but in a different way

What exactly IS the problem with tuk-tuks? huh.gif

There isn't a problem with tuk tuks. There is a big problem with the drivers of tuk tuks and taxis. Why not read a few of the articles that have been posted here in the past couple of weeks? Dutch tourists beaten while they held back a policeman form stopping them, a German beaten by them into a comma, taxi drivers beating a driver trying to pick up clients that booked an elephant trekking trip. These are just the most recent horror stories. They have blockaded the deep sea port when US Navy ships and cruise liners arrived so they would have to hire them instead of already arranged transportation. Just read up a bit Or do a Google search for Phuket tuk tuk.