Retirement Visa

Intro: I am a 58 yo UK citizen applying for a retirement visa. I am currently one month into a 90 day 'O' visa. I opened a bank account with SCB in Lad Krabang in January and have in excess of 800k in that account for more than 90 days. I will be moving to Nan next week where I intend to lodge my application for a 12 month visa. What papers/additional information do I need to complete/provide for Nan Immigration Dept? I am concerned that if I transfer my banking to SCB in Nan this will result in their opening a new account and thus I loose my 90 day maturation. Alternatively, I would like to check with SCB Lad Krabang that they would be happy to issue a confirmatory letter and mail it to me at the appropriate time. Is there standard wording for this letter that I could show to SCB Lad Krabang?

I would open a new account with minimal deposit explaining the situation and asking if they can provide the letter of your account balance for local immigration and that you intend to transfer the amount in account to there bank once extension of stay in place. They should do (ask for manager if staff say no). If they unwilling I would look for another bank to start a new account and just make the extra trip to pick up letter from current bank. Most immigration offices will want letter current so mailing may not be acceptable so check on that. At some point you do want to have money in local account or you will be hit with the stupid out of area ATM charge on every withdrawal (using up passbook twice as fast).

I would open a new account with minimal deposit explaining the situation and asking if they can provide the letter of your account balance for local immigration and that you intend to transfer the amount in account to there bank once extension of stay in place. They should do (ask for manager if staff say no). If they unwilling I would look for another bank to start a new account and just make the extra trip to pick up letter from current bank. Most immigration offices will want letter current so mailing may not be acceptable so check on that. At some point you do want to have money in local account or you will be hit with the stupid out of area ATM charge on every withdrawal (using up passbook twice as fast).

Thanks, I rather feared that would be the case. I'll head to the bank on Monday and hopefully they will recognise what I need. Am I correct in thinking I cannot apply for the extension until 60 days have elapsed on my 'O' visa? I was hoping that on the basis of a phone call at the appropriate time the bank would mail me the letter in Nan, its going to arrive almost as quickly as my coming down to Lad Krabang to collect it and returning!

Normally they will want application during the last 30 days of permission to stay. You can ask bank and they may be able to provide - another option is main office providing to your local branch office.

Ok, once again thanks for the advise.