Price Check!

doggie888888

Just a little warning since this has been happenning too often to me at Villa Supermarket in Pattaya's The Avenue. On several visits in the last 1 year or so, I noticed that the price displayed at the shelf label is different from what I was charged at the cash register. Often, the displayed "special price" is not updated at the cash register hence you get charged at the full price.

I usually notice this when I get home and have a cursory look at the receipt; often it is not a large amount so I don't bother to do anything. However, since I recently started to look more closely at the prices as they scan (you need a quick eye!) I spot these errors and advise the cashier immediately. This is often met with looks of contempt, like it's my fault (my smiles did not work!). Or there is complete disbelief, in which case I ask the cashier to go see the lower price displayed at the shelf. Sometimes I get an apology but only once a "you can have it at the displayed price". I don't know what the law is here, not that laws matter that much I suppose.

Oh, this is not about a special price for members, it's strictly an error on the shelf label leading shoppers to believe they will be charged a lower price but when in fact they get charged a higher price. For example, the shelf display a price of 125baht for a packet of muesli, and I tend to buy in bulk so when I bought 10packets I got charged 1500baht, an error so obvious that I noticed immediately. In this case, the polite cashier apologised and gave it to me at the lower price, but this was the exception because it is more usual they insist on the cash register (higher) price. Other times it may be 5baht here or there and you may not notice but I am posting so others might be aware. I don't think it is a scam, just mere breakdown in procedure.

"In this case, the polite cashier apologised and gave it to me at the lower price, but this was the exception because it is more usual they insist on the cash register (higher) price."

Then if they insist on the higher, incorrect price, just tell them you don't want it and to take it off the bill.

Thanks for the warning. Sadly, things like this seem to happen here with alarming regularity. Last time it happened to me, I pointed out the (over-) pricing discrepancy to the cashier, who said, "Sorry, that's the price (the higher one)." I said, "But, the sign in the aisle says (the lower price), krap." Again, she said, "Sorry, that's the price," and looked at me stoically, with an obvious tinge of impatience. "Ok, krap," says I calmly, "Thank you very much for your help." Then, indicating my entire grocery list, now strewn across the cashier's conveyor belt, I said, "And, I guess I don't really need any of this today..." and slowly turned... and walked out of the store. Calm & cool; don't let it get to you, M8, good luck!

B)

Villa Market at the Avenue use to aske me if I had their "Villa Market" card. I said no and asked for an application and this was like asking for a million dollars.(Blank look) "No haaaaaaaaaaaaaave application" -- So I emailed Villa Bangkok BKK and told them about the problem. They sent a card for me to their store in the Avenue complex. A year later, I still do not see applications for their Villa Market frequent shopping card at the check out.

"....... I recently started to look more closely at the prices as they scan (you need a quick eye!) I spot these errors and advise the cashier immediately."

I've been doing this all my life, in the UK, Europe, across SE Asia, here. I also check the receipt in full before leaving the checkout area.

On average I spot one error in every three or four bills. Not always in the shop's favour.

Either I get the lower of the two prices or the item remains at the checkout and is removed from the bill.

" This is often met with looks of contempt"

And that bothers you? The day has not yet dawned when a contemptuous look from anyone, least of all a supermarket cashier, would cause me to lose any sleep. :D

Villa Market at the Avenue use to aske me if I had their "Villa Market" card. I said no and asked for an application and this was like asking for a million dollars.(Blank look) "No haaaaaaaaaaaaaave application" -- So I emailed Villa Bangkok BKK and told them about the problem. They sent a card for me to their store in the Avenue complex. A year later, I still do not see applications for their Villa Market frequent shopping card at the check out.

probably not worth promoting it, as there are no frequent shoppers at Villa.......

I purchased a portable CD/music box thing from Carrefour a few years back, it was on special reduced from Bt.4500 to Bt.3800, when scanned it came up as Bt.4500. I refereed the cashier to their purchasing policy clearly stated on the wall above the service desk....... I got it for free.

"In this case, the polite cashier apologised and gave it to me at the lower price, but this was the exception because it is more usual they insist on the cash register (higher) price."

Then if they insist on the higher, incorrect price, just tell them you don't want it and to take it off the bill.

Yes, often that is what I end up doing but sometimes when I have several items and the scanning is quick, I don't pick up on the error until later! I suppose I ought to be grateful that they always agree to take it off the bill, instead of calling on local thugs to beat me up (one reads of these incidents on thaivisa, LOL).

Gotta admit I don't shop there as often these days and if I do, it is limited to a few items so I can see exactly what they are scanning.

But on a positive note, when they have "specials" the price is often lower than say Foodland or Central Supermarket for same items...that is if they scan it correctly!

Happened to me at a 7/11 once.

The cashier absolutely refused to honour the price, which was actually on the item.

I insisted --- she said manager --- I said okay ----- she said oh, manager not here --- okay, I will come back tomorrow for my money.

Went in the next day. When she saw me, she got nervous, jumped down behind the counter, and crawled away. The customer she had been serving, was halfway over the counter, wondering why he had been abandoned.

The whole scene was like a Keystones cop sketch.

The laugh was worth the money, so I left.

A few months ago I saw some muesli at Villa, The Avenue , at a greatly reduced price. At the check out the higher price came up and, after much conversation, I took the girl to see for herself the very large price ticket. Without a word she removed it and tore it up. I just walked out of the shop.

The OP is absolutely correct, I stopped using Villa about a year ago when for the umpteenth time the same situation happened on packet baby food. Now given that the chances are it is ony foreigners that buy packet / jar baby food (yes I know I am lazy!!) I took it that this situation was directly aimed at foreigners so voted with my feet, my weekly shopping revenue is now spent at Tesco!

I purchased a portable CD/music box thing from Carrefour a few years back, it was on special reduced from Bt.4500 to Bt.3800, when scanned it came up as Bt.4500. I refereed the cashier to their purchasing policy clearly stated on the wall above the service desk....... I got it for free.

R.I.P. Carrefour Thailand. :(

Without fail when I go shopping I have a small book with

the goods I am looking to buy written in it, then I write

shelf price next to item and add total ,and I have been

doing this for years ,about 10% of the time its overcharged,

NEVER under , it maybe just 30 -50bht, but has also been in

the 100s of baht,

The most recent example was at a bakery supply store, bought

5 items, jam jars had price on shelf at 420bht for 60, they tried

to charge 520bht, 2pkts almonds charged for 4,same with

wholewheat flour bought 1 charged for 2,

Donot think I am a cheap charlie, just no ones going to rip me off

So advise you all to start checking your bills if you want to save money

take care Worgeordie

Sometimes when you visually inspect the produce the more recent stamped items are obviously less fresh than the older stamped ones. Figure that one out ...

I still shop there, but no meat (burned enough times), as there are some good items there I can't easily get elsewhere and the prices on some things are competitive.

Edited by Rimmer
Quoted reply of deleted post

FWIW, I've experienced the mismatched pricing problem at Villa Market in Hua Hin, as well. Each time, they refunded the difference after completing the transaction at the higher scanned price.

This is never a problem at the same stores in Bangkok, so it must be due to the lazy staff in Pattaya.

Yes, I tend to think it is just a breakdown in controls and/or procedures at the Pattaya branch. It's a pity because it is rather convenient for me to shop there and sometimes they do have the odd bargain. However, the potential unpleasant "surprise" at the check-out and the ensuing sour faces from the cashiers plus the fact that it happens often means I'd rather shop at the alternative supermarkets these days.

If I have time and wish to hit my head against a brickwall, I might send their HQ an email. :unsure:

I remember 45 years ago when studying Commercial Law being surprised that under British Contract Law an advertised price of anything is not an offer to you but an invitation for you to offer to buy from the seller at that price and he can refuse to accept it.

Not sure about Thai Contract Law.

Tescos will now refund twice the difference if you spot a mistake in the pricing between display and checkout so wifey checks our receipt like a hawk:-

Really! went into the new Tesco Lotus Soi Chaipuk Pattaya yesterday, potatoes had big display promotion 22 baht per kilo, I got three kilo, when they were weighed and ticketed I noticed I had been charged 34 baht per kilo! so I queried this, the girl from the vegetable section came over and said Oh sorry I forget to change and pointed to a small label under the shelf which said 34 baht per kilo. I again pointed out they were advertising a large board saying 22 baht, again sorry forget to change and refused to change the ticket on my item. In the grand scheme of things no big deal but just one of those small annoying things about living here and I couldn't be bothered asking for a manager to argue over 30 baht. Went back in this morning and they have removed potatoes from the veg section completely!

A few months ago I saw some muesli at Villa, The Avenue , at a greatly reduced price. At the check out the higher price came up and, after much conversation, I took the girl to see for herself the very large price ticket. Without a word she removed it and tore it up. I just walked out of the shop.

Love it - this is soooooo Pattaya.

UPDATE: Since I had some free time, I dropped a short email to Villa HQ. Not really expecting a reply, just wanted them to be aware of the problem re: errors in their shelf label prices. To my surprise, I got a reply within 2 days stating that the Pattaya Branch Manager has acknowledged the problem and they are keen to resolve it. So folks, the manager's name is Khun Note, and per the reply email I should ask for him, should such probelms arise in future. I suppose we can all ask for him if we have similar issues! If you ask me, he is probably the problem (branch manager is usually part of the problem in a retail setting) but hey, I am just assuming Villa knows what they are doing and are sincere about the matter.:whistling:

By the way, Villa HQ's email is [email protected] if anyone else wants to drop them a line. :rolleyes: