Just Arrived!

Rusticvilla

I've just arrived to Chiang Mai, after the chaos in Bangkok. Understandably of course. I need help in finding the right places to go and the right people to meet. I've read lots of threads about chiang mai, which can be confusing. I want to meet real people who live and work here. I don't want to meet the people that have nothing to do, but moan about the place. I've met them before in Thailand. I want to meet the real people who make their money here, and live here on their means. Thailand is a place for old people with nothing more to do but moan about how their money has been reduced due to currency rates. I don't want to know about you, because 9 times out of 10, your the people that only drink and eat in expat establishments. Where are the places to meet the real expat community in Chiang Mai?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a expat who has retired here because I like the country and the people. The money is not a issue. I put in the time and th effort to get here. I don't complain about the exchange rate and I certainly don't want to meet you.

Life is to good here to wast on narrow minded people. Ulysses G had it right on for you.

I'm sorry if I came across a little bit harsh, but I say what I see. I have stayed with 2 families over the last week. One in Hang Dong and one in Sansai. Both families were very nice, but the local expats had nothing to say but moan. I didn't mind, you expect that every where, but these people where only referencing things that would be important to expats. I didn't come here to eat pizza and go down to the local pub for quiz nights. I bought a bowl of food yesterday for my dinner, it cost 2 dollars. How can you complain at that. I thought by going out of the main tourist traps, would help me discover how to live the Thai way. But because my language skills are very poor, I was directed to the nearest westerner, who assured me that the pizza and Mcdonalds were very good in Thailand. I might not meet many friends here, but if they want to come to Thailand and sit in English or Irish pubs eating pizza, burgers, french fries and pies and then have the nerve to tell me how expensive it is getting towards the dollar or the pound.I don't want to meet anyone.

Help is needed to find the true expat living in Thailand. If I wanted the above, I would have stayed at home.

I bought a bowl of food yesterday for my dinner, it cost 2 dollars. How can you complain at that.

Sorry, but to fit in your expat profile, I would have to complain that your food was far too expensive, 30-35bht for most local dishes.

Or maybe they doubled the price for your food as you were an obvious rube.

Edited by ludditeman

Go back to where you came from and meet people there. Sounds like you have a rotten attitude. Not needed in Chiangmai.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, but I have obviously hit the nail on the head when it comes to you! I was told that Chiang Mai was a place for open minded people. You are clearly stuck in the ice age. I have a lovely coconut in my room that is desperate for your axe!

I think that you need to rephrase yourself. People like you are not needed in Thailand, let alone a zoo!!!

Seriously though, what are your plans?

Plenty of people live up here and live the 'Thai' life and don't live in McD's.

We are not all old either, but saying that, to me age is irrelevant as long as you are a 'good egg'.

What you doing up here or what do you want to do up here? What were you doing in BKK? Maybe you can find similar minded people up here?

As for moaning, don't think I have ever been anywhere in the world where someone doesn't moan about something! unsure.gif

"Don't feed the troll!"....dunno what you mean!? wink.gif

Edited by kjhbigv

You will never make any friends here with your attitude; farang or Thai. You are an ass. Go back to where you came from.

Thanks! That's another nail in the coffin. Any one else want to prove how much they love Mcdonalds!! Truthfully, can anyone tell me how to order Gaeng Hang Lay! I here it one of the expats favourites, along with Sai Oua!!!!

Go back to where you came from and meet people there. Sounds like you have a rotten attitude. Not needed in Chiangmai.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, but I have obviously hit the nail on the head when it comes to you! I was told that Chiang Mai was a place for open minded people. You are clearly stuck in the ice age. I have a lovely coconut in my room that is desperate for your axe!

I think that you need to rephrase yourself. People like you are not needed in Thailand, let alone a zoo!!!

Just arrived in town, and already you know everything about us all, you must be very discerning indeed ! :rolleyes:

Hope that you get over it soon, and come to love Chiang Mai, as we all do, otherwise why would we be here ?

While I myself do eat in farang places, roughly once a week, I would also recommend somewhere like Mookatar-Sukonta (Thanon Kad Suan Kaew) or the kao-soy place next to the wat on Thanon Faham, to someone newly-arrived here.

You might enjoy the (pre-Loi-Kratong) mass-release of hot-air balloons (khom loi), this Saturday-evening at the wat near Mae-Jo, as an interesting local event ?

And as others already said, Welcome ! :jap:

You will never make any friends here with your attitude; farang or Thai. You are an ass. Go back to where you came from.

Thanks! That's another nail in the coffin. Any one else want to prove how much they love Mcdonalds!! Truthfully, can anyone tell me how to order Gaeng Hang Lay! I here it one of the expats favourites, along with Sai Oua!!!!

Any one else want to prove how much they love Mcdonalds!!

Well, I can say....'two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions all on a sesame seed bun' in under 2 seconds if that counts? Even won a T-Shirt for doing it back in the 80's! smile.gif

"I want to meet real people who live and work here." I think you've been really badly treated on this thread :ermm: so can I recommend a Karaoke bar on the super highway called Cassanova? It's near Jet Yod. A truly excellent place to meet people who live and work here, and you certainly won't find any whingeing ex-pats in there whatsoever. I'm sure you will make lots of new friends and have a real unforgettable Thailand and Chiang Mai experience; should be just the place for you to really enjoy. :whistling: Have fun!

N.B. It doesn't open until 10 p.m. but so you can avoid those horrible bars where all the nasty ex-pats who've been posting on this thread hang out, there are plenty of local restaurants with two dollar food and cheap beer you can visit first.

That Coconut is your head you bonzo. Go hit it against the wall and knock some sense into it, then come back and try again to make friends with people here. Your attitude stinks.

I'm sorry if I came across a little bit harsh, but I say what I see. I have stayed with 2 families over the last week. One in Hang Dong and one in Sansai. Both families were very nice, but the local expats had nothing to say but moan. I didn't mind, you expect that every where, but these people where only referencing things that would be important to expats. I didn't come here to eat pizza and go down to the local pub for quiz nights. I bought a bowl of food yesterday for my dinner, it cost 2 dollars. How can you complain at that. I thought by going out of the main tourist traps, would help me discover how to live the Thai way. But because my language skills are very poor, I was directed to the nearest westerner, who assured me that the pizza and Mcdonalds were very good in Thailand. I might not meet many friends here, but if they want to come to Thailand and sit in English or Irish pubs eating pizza, burgers, french fries and pies and then have the nerve to tell me how expensive it is getting towards the dollar or the pound.I don't want to meet anyone.

Help is needed to find the true expat living in Thailand. If I wanted the above, I would have stayed at home.

You claim and I quote you

"I thought by going out of the main tourist traps, would help me discover how to live the Thai way."

Then you go on to say and again I quote you

"Help is needed to find the true expat living in Thailand"

You make no sense. You have met true expats living in Thailand you didn't like them and you figure by meeting a true expat you can learn the Thai way of living. Sounds to me like you have all ready found Loi Kroh road

I want to meet real people who live and work here. I don't want to meet the people that have nothing to do,

So what do you do for a living?

He's an ''agony aunt'' on holiday. :)

And OP, don't think l've read such an arogant post in a long time. If your not a troll l would suggest you buy a mirror and become a recluse and just enjoy your own company eh. :rolleyes:

I've just arrived to Chiang Mai, after the chaos in Bangkok. Understandably of course. I need help in finding the right places to go and the right people to meet. I've read lots of threads about chiang mai, which can be confusing. I want to meet real people who live and work here. I don't want to meet the people that have nothing to do, but moan about the place. I've met them before in Thailand. I want to meet the real people who make their money here, and live here on their means. Thailand is a place for old people with nothing more to do but moan about how their money has been reduced due to currency rates. I don't want to know about you, because 9 times out of 10, your the people that only drink and eat in expat establishments. Where are the places to meet the real expat community in Chiang Mai?

Do you find retirees in Chiang Mai to be uniquely abhorrent, or would your criticisms apply equally to people who retire to Florida rather than to a foreign country?

"Help is needed to find the true expat living in Thailand."

You probably find them in expensive lounges , clubs, restaurants, hotels, etc - often on corporate accounts.

You sound to me a British-educated Thai brat who tends to look down on normal people.