Romanian Tourist Arrested For ATM Hacking: Bangkok

webfact

"They withdrew about Bt50 million cash and sent the money to the gang leader in Romania after taking a 10percent cut".

Wow! That's over $1 million on just the ATM withdrawals. Amazing Thailand!

I think you need to shop around for a better exchange rate!

Mathematics are not a forte nowadays

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50,000,000 / 20,000 per withdrawal = 2500 withdrawals.

He must have been working his arse off, running up and down Sukhumvit trying to stay one step ahead of the cameras and the cops.

Yep, and then he only had 6,000 baht on him when caught. Must have just started out on his daily 80 odd withdrawals.

Methinks we are not being told the entire truth here.

And why do all senior Thai policeman look exactly the same? Is there some sort of cloning process gong on?

Edited by 12DrinkMore

Romaian tourist? Should it not read `Romanian criminal`?

It should. It's a dam_n shame. There's plenty of Romanians living in LoS for quite a lot of time, all working as normal, honest people. It's a shame how some fellow countrymen can spit in all of our work and struggle here

It should. It's a dam_n shame. There's plenty of Romanians living in LoS for quite a lot of time, all working as normal, honest people. It's a shame how some fellow countrymen can spit in all of our work and struggle here

They are still Tourist until proven otherwise by the court. Don't they get the benefit of doubt? Like the SMS Ah Gong?

They are still Tourist until proven otherwise by the court. Don't they get the benefit of doubt? Like the SMS Ah Gong?

I would love to think that way, unfortunately I know the type...hope they don't get deported back in Romania and get what they deserve here in Thailand so they can share their impressions regarding Thai jails, maybe the next idiot is gonna think twice before coming over

30171499-01_big.jpg

Absolute classic if the Thai cops talking all seriously at the press conference and the bloke suddenly goes " PEEKABOO!"

Plus I see a local songtaew driver's just wandered in at the back to see what all the fuss is about.

:cheesy: You have to love the Thai trophy pics where everyone wants in. This one must of been taken during the lunch break as normally the room is full and shoulder to shoulder. Personally I do not agree with the Thai authorities parading "Suspects" before the media for trophy pics. How many innocent people have been named and shamed in this manner? These pics say guilty before thier day in court. This guy may very well be guilty but wait until proven such before parading people

Absolute presumption of innocence is a purely Western construct. Even in that context, once you confess to a crime as this guy is reported to have done you go straight to sentencing, your day in court is waved and presumption of innocence is nullified. That said, in most countries being caught "red handed" is enough. When in Rome, do as the Romans. In Thailand,a guy caught taking money out of an ATM followed back to his room where he has buttloads of stuff for making fake ATM cards, and then confesses to that act, by Thai standard is guilty and not entitled to the presumption of innocence.

I am neither a Thai basher, nor an apologist, but I am continually baffled by the people who choose to live in a country with markedly different social standards and then protest it.

• Like 1

Lets see the bank reports suspicious activity, the police get on the case and bust the guy in quick time and most of the posters to the thread just complain and try to fine some other connection. It is amazing what Thailand brings out in people

"They withdrew about Bt50 million cash and sent the money to the gang leader in Romania after taking a 10percent cut".

Wow! That's over $1 million on just the ATM withdrawals. Amazing Thailand!

I think you need to shop around for a better exchange rate!

Mathematics are not a forte nowadays

What about the 150 baht ATM fees!!!!!

Lets see the bank reports suspicious activity, the police get on the case and bust the guy in quick time and most of the posters to the thread just complain and try to fine some other connection. It is amazing what Thailand brings out in people

Most probably the credit cards come from foreign countries, it will be quite difficult to give an exact amount, but I am pretty sure he will spend at least a few years in jail, not too many though, since the victims were not Thai citizens

30171499-01_big.jpg

Absolute classic if the Thai cops talking all seriously at the press conference and the bloke suddenly goes " PEEKABOO!"

Plus I see a local songtaew driver's just wandered in at the back to see what all the fuss is about.

American Spooks may well have tipped off the local STAZI it seems:

Four Romanians Charged for POS Fraud

Indictment Alleges Scheme Affected 80,000 Cardholders

December 9, 2011 - Tracy Kitten, Managing Editor, BankInfoSecurity

The U.S. Department of Justice has indicted four Romanians for their alleged roles in a multimillion-dollar fraud scheme that is believed to have compromised hundreds of U.S. merchants and more than 80,000 U.S. consumers.

According to the charges, between 2008 and May 2011, Adrian-Tiberiu Oprea, 27, Iulian Dolan, 27, Cezar Iulian Butu, 26, and Florin Radu, 23, are believed to have remotely hacked point-of-sale and checkout systems at more than 200 merchants to steal credit, debit and prepaid card data. Affected merchants include more than 150 Subway restaurant franchises throughout the U.S. The compromised card data is believed to be linked to millions of dollars in unauthorized transactions.

Charges against the four men, including conspiracy to commit computer fraud, wire fraud and access-device fraud, were filed in the District of New Hampshire. Oprea was arrested last week in Romania. Dolan and Butu were arrested in August as they re-entered the U.S.

Radu remains at large.

The Secret Service is investigating the case.

How the men were able to hack in to the merchants' POS systems was not included in the DOJ's announcement. Whether the merchants were in compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard also was not mentioned.

http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/articles.php?art_id=4316

50,000,000 / 20,000 per withdrawal = 2500 withdrawals.

He must have been working his arse off, running up and down Sukhumvit trying to stay one step ahead of the cameras and the cops.

3 guys, so about 20 dealings a day per person, not so difficult, but they made it to long and at least one get caught.whistling.gif

These Romanina crooks are highly organized and operating in a number of countries. Excellent Panorama documentary recently on their illegal operations, including using children to beg, in the UK. Hundreds of thousands of pounds being sent back to the'gypsy bosses' in a Romanian village.

Criminality has no country and no borders.

Do not confuse romanians with rroma (gipsys).

Judging a nation by few individuals, is a mistake my friend.

Check please this link to know how romanians really are -

These Romanina crooks are highly organized and operating in a number of countries. Excellent Panorama documentary recently on their illegal operations, including using children to beg, in the UK. Hundreds of thousands of pounds being sent back to the'gypsy bosses' in a Romanian village.

Criminality has no country and no borders.

Do not confuse romanians with rroma (gipsys).

Judging a nation by few individuals, is a mistake my friend.

Check please this link to know how romanians really are -

No need to prove with a video, as you say, judging a nation by few individuals, is a big mistake

Indeed. My daughter got her phone stolen in Oxford St a few months ago. We had the sim blocked within the hour but I remarked at the time that when we got the bill there would no doubt be calls to Romania on it. And so it proved. They are the European Nigerians.

post-7438-0-92053400-1323523842_thumb.pn

Yeah, forgot, only Western Europeans are entitled to blame African and Middle Eastern immigrants for all the crimes and misfortunes, when it comes to Romanian gypsies, all Romanians are the same, right? They represent less than 3% of the population and they spread all over Europe giving a bad name for Romania and because of Western European governments, not only that we have to put up with them, but we also have to spoil them, cause they're a minority by EU laws :annoyed: So give me a break and read a darn book and learn the differences, or google it if you must. I got people wondering how come I'm Romanian and white?!?!...what a proof of great education :rolleyes:

Edited by alexth

Yeah, forgot, only Western Europeans are entitled to blame African and Middle Eastern immigrants for all the crimes and misfortunes, when it comes to Romanian gypsies, all Romanians are the same, right? They represent less than 3% of the population and they spread all over Europe giving a bad name for Romania and because of Western European governments, not only that we have to put up with them, but we also have to spoil them, cause they're a minority by EU laws :annoyed: So give me a break and read a darn book and learn the differences, or google it if you must. I got people wondering how come I'm Romanian and white?!?!...what a proof of great education :rolleyes:

Your 100% right and I know the difference, spent enough time in Bucharest to know how the Romanians feel about it as well. Also know I got taken to task here once before in connection with this when I referred to "gypsies" so its a no win situation. Just as it was for Romania when the EU borders opened and the gypsies were free to practice their tricks on less suspecting populations. The crime rate in Romania tumbled, good for Romania, unfortunately there was a direct upwards spike in countries like Italy, bad for Romania.

Your 100% right and I know the difference, spent enough time in Bucharest to know how the Romanians feel about it as well. Also know I got taken to task here once before in connection with this when I referred to "gypsies" so its a no win situation. Just as it was for Romania when the EU borders opened and the gypsies were free to practice their tricks on less suspecting populations. The crime rate in Romania tumbled, good for Romania, unfortunately there was a direct upwards spike in countries like Italy, bad for Romania.

Damn, and I am romanian too and I graduated two high-tech universities...

My wife is a psychologist...

My friends are doctors, lawyers, engineers...

If this meens to be a "nigerian of the europe" (as somebody said in a previous post), than i am proud of it!

I'm hearing some racial talk here against the Roma people of Romania and it's not nice considering the horrible way the majority Romanians have treated this minority over the years. For the most part, they are born into an underclass and most never even have the opportunity to receive the anything resembling the same level of education as the so called "white" Romanians. They are tracked for lives of poverty from day one.

Also that video was a lot of puff. Father of cybernetics indeed. If you sent a CV with that level of distortion, you'd be in trouble.

Racism in Romania is mostly directed against the Roma people, the country's second-largest minority, who are routinely discriminated against by the state, local authorities and private enterprises, in matters of housing, employment and education. Belonging to the lowest social classes, the Roma are caught in a vicious circle of poverty reinforced by segregation.[1] Prejudice against Roma people is common among the Romanians, who characterize the Roma as being thieves, dirty and lazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Romania

Yes, punish criminals no matter what their ethnicity, but there is no need to demonize entire peoples as a whole. That's how so many Romanian Romas and Romanian Jews ended up murdered both by German Nazis and Romanian Nazi collaborators (and they were very enthusiastic ones indeed). Do you think people are better today? I don't.

I wouldn't have brought this up if others had not implied being white makes them better. Shouldn't the topic be this crime and these specific criminals?

Edited by Jingthing

I'm hearing some racial talk here against the Roma people of Romania and it's not nice considering the horrible way the majority Romanians have treated this minority over the years. For the most part, they are born into an underclass and most never even have the opportunity to receive the anything resembling the same level of education as the so called "white" Romanians. They are tracked for lives of poverty from day one.

Also that video was a lot of puff. Father of cybernetics indeed. If you sent a CV with that level of distortion, you'd be in trouble.

Racism in Romania is mostly directed against the Roma people, the country's second-largest minority, who are routinely discriminated against by the state, local authorities and private enterprises, in matters of housing, employment and education. Belonging to the lowest social classes, the Roma are caught in a vicious circle of poverty reinforced by segregation.[1] Prejudice against Roma people is common among the Romanians, who characterize the Roma as being thieves, dirty and lazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Romania

Go live in Romania (you don't even have to be close to a Gypsy neighborhood) and when your kids come back home beaten (by the same guy you tried to help out by offering him a decent amount of money to do your garden or whatever choirs and he ended up disappearing with the tools) and without their wallets, phones or whatever. I could go on and on and on and on, but please don't give us lessons about it, just as we don't give you lessons about your issues...we're just not there to see the facts, therefore we shut the <deleted> up

Not really looking for an argument. Maybe I'll let what I said stand and let it be some balance here.

But if what I'm saying is so wrong, why don't you try to edit the Wiki page?

A good film on these issues of segregation and educational racial tracking in Romania:

http://ourschoolfilm.blogspot.com/

Edited by Jingthing

Not really looking for an argument. Maybe I'll let what I said stand and let it be some balance here.

But if what I'm saying is so wrong, why don't you try to edit the Wiki page?

A good film on these issues of segregation and educational racial tracking in Romania:

http://ourschoolfilm.blogspot.com/

We kinda like to stick to stuff we know, seen with our own eyes and most of us know from experience, movies are a bit late for me at the moment