Rental Apartment Recommendations?

Apologies if this belongs in a real estate forum, but I'm looking for some personal recommendations on housing on a crazy time frame.

My girlfriend and I have just returned to the country after a few months in Mongolia. We previously lived in Chiang Mai where we had a long term arrangement with a guesthouse, so we have no experience of renting in BKK.

We arrived a couple of days ago and booked 5 nights in a squalid hotel in the hope of finding somewhere to stay for the next 3-4 months, and I've spent the last few days browsing through the various real estate sites. Everywhere looks pretty much the same to me, and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to differentiate between decent places and crapholes based on the grainy photos available.

There are a couple of prospects we're looking into tomorrow, but neither looks particularly promising. I'd rather not burn any more money on hotels, so I'm really hoping we can find somewhere by the time we check out of here on Tuesday (perhaps a little optimistic).

So, I wonder if any of you good people can recommend a place to stay. Perhaps you've had a good experience with your own apartment complex, and can't believe you found such a great place for pennies (or, on the flip side, you're in a shithole and you want to warn people away).

Our budget is around the 10,000/month mark. Ideally a little lower as I'm a bit greedy with the air con, so the power bill will kill me.

District: Din Daeng/Huai Khwang within walking distance of an MRT station, ideally, as we have friends there, or somewhere along the Sukhumvit BTS line if the price doesn't make my ears bleed.

Facilities: studio (obv., with this budget). Wifi, fridge, maybe a balcony so I can smoke without killing the missus.

Cheers :)

I had a very good experience with an apartment (studio) just 5 mins walking from BTS Surasak.

Quiet, relatively green area.

Studio (32 sqm if I remember correctly), shower, aircon, TV, furniture, cleaning, internet. Price was 8500 THB (should ad up to 11.000).

Very nice owners and staff. Small minimarket (drinks, mama, chips, toiletries) and laundry machine downstairs. Loved the place!

Baan Rimsathorn

22 Soi Sathorn 13

South Sathorn Road

Tel: 026758980

www.baanrim.com

Good luck

I had a very good experience with an apartment (studio) just 5 mins walking from BTS Surasak.

Quiet, relatively green area.

Studio (32 sqm if I remember correctly), shower, aircon, TV, furniture, cleaning, internet. Price was 8500 THB (should ad up to 11.000).

Very nice owners and staff. Small minimarket (drinks, mama, chips, toiletries) and laundry machine downstairs. Loved the place!

Baan Rimsathorn

22 Soi Sathorn 13

South Sathorn Road

Tel: 026758980

www.baanrim.com

Good luck

DocN, thank you so much :) We checked out the Baan Rim Ratchada this afternoon (as Sathorn is a bit far from my girlfriend's sister's place). The apartment looked great but the surrounding area was beyond dead, but on the way back, a little disappointed, we walked past a place that looks perfect near Rama 9 MRT, the Green Residence. If not for your recommendation we wouldn't have seen it, so cheers :) Fingers crossed they have a room available when we go back in the morning. If not, we'll head for Baan Rim Sathorn :)

Check out “ivy ratchada” - it is walking distance to Sutthisan MRT (one stop from Huai Kwang) and it is pretty good. It is a bit older than the newer Life condo and similar type properties, the pool does not get very much sun, the gym sucks but this was one of the few places where the owners will negotiate price. I think most advertise 12-15 but two of my friends have gotten apt there in the 10 or sub 10 category. The studios and 1 bed rooms were also bigger and better furnished than some other units I have seen. My friends studio has a couch.

There is a tesco express, several 7-11, video rental place, a bunch of restaurants, coffeeshops etc.