Phuket Roads: Swiss Man, 56, Killed In Phuket Motorbike Crash

Lite Beer

Phuket Roads: Swiss man, 56, killed in Phuket motorbike crash

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-12012taqjXDdYMVgRwqLNAGwdLVcaOt.jpg

The scene of the latest motorbike accident fatality in Phuket. The victim was a 56-year-old Swiss man. Photo: Wichai Witthawat.

phuket-4-12012QAAIvAxsYaAIRvELeLQVeeIIkT.jpg

The damage to the Toyota Vios indicates the force of the impact. The accident was the latest in a spate of serious car and motorbike collisions reported in Phuket over the past week. Photo: Wichai Witthawat.

PHUKET: In our third story on Phuket road carnage today, a Swiss man was killed instantly when his motorcycle was hit by a passenger car on Thepkrasattri Road in Thalang early this afternoon.

According to Phuket Kusoldharm Foundation rescue workers at the scene, the Swiss man was traveling southbound on Thepkrasattri Road when he was hit full force by a Bangkok-registered Toyota Vios.

The accident occurred at about 12:50pm near the u-turn in front of the Ban Nai Khlam Mosque in Srisoonthorn subdistrict, Village 1.

The man's injuries included massive cranial trauma, which is thought to have killed him instantly, rescue workers said.

The driver of the sedan, a woman, was still in the vehicle in a state of shock when rescue workers arrived. Her vehicle suffered considerable damage to the fender and a shattered windshield, but there were no reports that she suffered any injuries.

The identity of the 56-year-old victim is known to the Phuket Gazette but is being withheld pending notification of kin.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12012.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-01-15

I was trying to work out how it happened but then noticed the U-turn in the photo so assume the Swiss guy miscalculated whilst making the turn. The U-turns on that road are extremely dnagerous due to most vehicles travelling at such high speed. The option of putting in traffic lights certainly makes it more safe but severely restricts traffic flow. Elevated U-turns are abetter solution but imagine the cost here is too expensive when one takes into account the land issues.

I was trying to work out how it happened but then noticed the U-turn in the photo so assume the Swiss guy miscalculated whilst making the turn. The U-turns on that road are extremely dnagerous due to most vehicles travelling at such high speed. The option of putting in traffic lights certainly makes it more safe but severely restricts traffic flow. Elevated U-turns are abetter solution but imagine the cost here is too expensive when one takes into account the land issues.
yep, seems like the biker placed himself in front of the car, and this being in the right lane he didnt seem to have anything to there in the first place Its a 90kmh road, and i would guess impact at 40-70kmh, so for some reason car did not go at normal speed

RIP

yep, seems like the biker placed himself in front of the car, and this being in the right lane he didnt seem to have anything to there in the first place

Its a 90kmh road, and i would guess impact at 40-70kmh, so for some reason car did not go at normal speed

Just a guess, just like the other posts here are guessing, but she could have applied the brakes.

yep, seems like the biker placed himself in front of the car, and this being in the right lane he didnt seem to have anything to there in the first place Its a 90kmh road, and i would guess impact at 40-70kmh, so for some reason car did not go at normal speed
Just a guess, just like the other posts here are guessing, but she could have applied the brakes.
agreed, and if tyres where as old as car, 2006 or older, she didnt stand a chance to stop in time

yep, seems like the biker placed himself in front of the car, and this being in the right lane he didnt seem to have anything to there in the first place

Its a 90kmh road, and i would guess impact at 40-70kmh, so for some reason car did not go at normal speed

There are no brake marks in the photo but she cannot have been going too fast as she is stopped not long after the u-turn. Still another incident highlighting that safety takes a back seat due to the cheap option.