Ditching Chiang Mai For Isaan........Please Advise.

Thighlander

Korat is a large(ish) place to get around in, its busy and the traffic is mad most of the time. Saying that, there is quite a lot there also and you can find almost anything you could need. I wouldn't say it's an attractive place but it's a long way better from where I,ve come from ( Rotherham, UK ).

We ( my missus and I ) have a house in Korat but seldom stay there ( work outside Thailand ). When we are back we split our time between there and the hills that run from the Pak Chong Chai amphur to the Sungnerng amphur, the views across to Khao Yai national park on one side and out towards Sikhu and Korat on the otherside are awesome. Plus it's quite cool. Have two houses there.

I fact I'll be there next week !! Yippee!!

Are you talking about Pak Chong or Pak Thong Chai ?

Pak Chong is very nice, Pak Thong Chai much less, but it's just a personal opinion.

Hi.

I'm referring to the "ridge" that runs North West / South East from near Pak Chong to wards Pak Thong Chai or Wang Nam Khiao to be precise.

As you approach Korat ( from Bangkok ) on highway 2 and pass by Pak Chong, on your right there is a high ridge that stretches off into the distance (towards Wang Nam Khiao).

Its the areas on top of that ridge that I mention.

In fact the boundary of both Amphurs of Pak Thong Chai and Sungnerng meet. On the Pak Thong Chai side there is dense forest, yet on the Sungnerng side there are villages and a lot of farming.

It is quite a wild place, far from the madding crowd.

Very nice area. Beautiful scenery, nice weather ...

For those interested in what's going on in the area, here a serie of video (in Thai). They interview quite a lot of people so you can get a balanced opinion of the recent events.

Mahasarakham or Siasaket are nice.

Check them out.

how would Sirin compare with Sisaket?

Surin has much more to offer. rolleyes.gif

I recommend Ubon Ratchathani, with Moon (Mun) river running through, and the Mekong "half an hour" away. Border crossings to Laos and Cambodia within easy reach.

Airport with direct flights to Bkk, Phuket and Chiang Mai.

Beautiful national parks along the borders, very friendly people around and good food everywhere. biggrin.png

But Ubon has no McDonalds or B. King. sad.png

This can't be right. I remember buying some McD's on my way out of Ubon towards Yaso, on the main road. Or was that a KFC?

Thanks for the interviews JurgenG.

They are quite long, so when I get time (with my wife), I,m interested to listen to what the people have to say.

Wang Nam Khiao is in Pak Thong Chai amphur (as far as I know), and has a heap of problems brought on by the officials.

The area I am specifiying is within the Sungnerng amphur, boardering the above amphur. There is quite a defined boarder between the two (viewed from the Sungnerng side). The Pak Thong Chai side is totally forested and (as far as I know), people aren't allowed to live there.

Don't know if you know of a spread out community called Dongmaifai?

That's where I,m specifying.

Korat has a McDo, a KFC AND a Swenssen's licklips.gif

Edited : And a Sizzler. Sizzler seems to be very popular with Thai, always a long queue in front of him. They are good value for money with a salad bar and a good selection of meat.

Edited by JurgenG