Pickups Best To Buy And Best Service In Your Opinion

petercallen

You know I have a Mitsubishi Triton Plus 4 door & I have been very impressed with it for it's power & handling which includes ABS, EBD. When I purchased it the reviews rated it number one out of all the pickups available here. There is now a new model Isuzu out but not sure if it is a dramatic step up from the previous version. I have a feeling Toyota are also bringing out a new model this year. You can get the missus to view the number of dealers nationwide on http://www.mitsubish.../index.php?c1=4

Yes i know you are happy with the triton , which is a good recommendation as you have done a lot more than 9000 KM

A diesel engine is only just run in at that type of mileage

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies, everyone seems happy with the vehicles they have bought

No bad reports from owners anyway, which is unusual

I will check out all the vehicles recommended, one thing which is a must for me

is ABS braking system and i think they will all be available with that

ABS will increase the braking distance, if the driver knows what he is doing that is. EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution) or similar, so the braking power gets divided appropriately between the weels, is IMO more important here with the hilly and quite often wet and slippery roads.

Nope, a 4 sensor ABS will reduce the braking distance on any surface except deep gravel and snow at low speed. EBD works only as a part of ABS, EBD being basicly only a replcement for the old hydraulic load sensor on rear axel. Toyota, Mitsu, Nissan

But as Izu/Chevy 2011 and older uses a very dated 3 sensor ABS, it does increase brakingistance on any surface

I have owned 3 x Vigo 3,0d4dauto 4x4 4 door and 3 x Fortuna 3,0d4d auto 4x4.Service at Toyta Pearl dealers and other Toyota dealers has been totally hasslfree during +300.000km on these vehicles.

If you owned 6 new vehicles to run 300.000 Km that means you did only 50.000 Km per new vehicle.

Would you have expected anything else than hassle free with that kind of milage?

neither my 2007 Camry or 2008 Accord where hasselfree for 50k km

Well you asked- I have a 7 year old Ford Ranger and wouldn't buy another. Hate to buy Jap brands since they kill whales, but not impressed by Chevrolet either. Guess I will have to put up with the Ford a while longer.

All the pickups here are Japanese brands but now manufactured in Thailand

The new Ford Ranger is Ford from scratch. Developed in OZ, engine and auto from Ford Europe

the old Ranger, as above, is a Mazda design from mid 1980s

the new 2012 Chevy Colorado is a Chevy, with enginedesign from the world largest car/pickup supplyer, Italian VM Motori.

The new 2012 Izu DMax is a clone of above Chevy, made by Chevy TH but they have kept the old dated Izu diesel

Well you asked- I have a 7 year old Ford Ranger and wouldn't buy another. Hate to buy Jap brands since they kill whales, but not impressed by Chevrolet either. Guess I will have to put up with the Ford a while longer.

The new Ford Ranger is Ford from scratch. Developed in OZ, engine and auto from Ford Europe

the new 2012 Chevy Colorado is a Chevy, with enginedesign from the world largest car/pickup supplyer, Italian VM Motori.

The new 2012 Izu DMax is a clone of above Chevy, made by Chevy TH but they have kept the old dated Izu diesel

My son has a 2 year old ford ranger dual cab in OZ and it is not a 1980 design

You cannot compare the engines in a 1980s Mazda to the engine in his vehicle

or body design, Made in Thailand by Mazda on the manufactures plate on the

firewall under the bonnet, Ford has been a 20% share holder in Mazda for many

years, why would they build a separate factory to build there pickups when they

already are part owners of the Mazda factory, bad business

When the new model Mazda comes out i expect it to be the same as the new model

ford ranger except for minor body details badges etc

Mazda BT50 and Ford Ranger until 2011 where both based on an early 80s frame designed by Mazda. New body panels each update/facelift covers this, but look underneath and its the same. Especially look at the uneven floorplan from the 80s

a 2 yo Ranger diesel has enginedesigns from Italian VM Motori, 2,5 and 3,0, same as Mazda

They have both been made by AutoAllianceTH, a plant owned by Ford and Mazda

2012 Mazda BT 50 and Ford Ranger will be same vehicle, with different sheetmetal, lights and interior. But this time its not a Mazda with Ford badges. Its a Ford with Mazda badges

I did not realize they have different engines as I thought both were the same apart from badge & colur schemes. If this true then it would make the Chev a better buy but resale value in the future might suffer. My ex has a Chev Optra, really good car & nice to drive but almost cannot give it away.

I did not realize they have different engines as I thought both were the same apart from badge & colur schemes. If this true then it would make the Chev a better buy but resale value in the future might suffer. My ex has a Chev Optra, really good car & nice to drive but almost cannot give it away.

2011 and older, Chev Colorado and Izu Dmax where the same except for cosmetics. 2012 they are rather different, and the new Chev 2,8L at 180 hp/470Nm beats Izus engine in ever aspect. More quiet and refined, much more power, less fuel, cleaner air.

Chev Optra is a badgeneered Daewoo, and as you say not very popular

Mazda BT50 and Ford Ranger until 2011 where both based on an early 80s frame designed by Mazda. New body panels each update/facelift covers this, but look underneath and its the same. Especially look at the uneven floorplan from the 80s

a 2 yo Ranger diesel has enginedesigns from Italian VM Motori, 2,5 and 3,0, same as Mazda

They have both been made by AutoAllianceTH, a plant owned by Ford and Mazda

2012 Mazda BT 50 and Ford Ranger will be same vehicle, with different sheetmetal, lights and interior. But this time its not a Mazda with Ford badges. Its a Ford with Mazda badges

Same same

ABS will increase the braking distance, if the driver knows what he is doing that is.

Nope, a 4 sensor ABS will reduce the braking distance on any surface except deep gravel and snow at low speed. EBD works only as a part of ABS, EBD being basicly only a replcement for the old hydraulic load sensor on rear axel. Toyota, Mitsu, Nissan

But as Izu/Chevy 2011 and older uses a very dated 3 sensor ABS, it does increase brakingistance on any surface

Just checked, and you're correct, did not know that the ABS systems have improved these days and nearly always will decrease the breaking distance. Thanks for the update.

2011 and older, Chev Colorado and Izu Dmax where the same except for cosmetics. 2012 they are rather different, and the new Chev 2,8L at 180 hp/470Nm beats Izus engine in ever aspect. More quiet and refined, much more power, less fuel, cleaner air.

Chev Optra is a badgeneered Daewoo, and as you say not very popular

We'll have to wait and see what that does to resale value, because there are many more factors than quality determining that.

Is there anything wrong with the engine they use in the Isuzu, i like the new ones looks

Is there anything wrong with the engine they use in the Isuzu, i like the new ones looks

Does the new Chev have the same body as the new Isuzu? If so then Chev could be the better option based on superior engine but of course will also depend on price.

I've been really happy with the service and quality of my DMAX but now looking at the specs and prices between the new DMAX ( which i like) and the New Chevy Colorado I think the Chevy offers better value for money.

2x4 2.5 turbo double cab DMAX Z comes in at 791,000

2x4 2.5 turbo X-Cab LTZ Colorado comes in at 715,000 (with dual SRS and giving more BHP)

It is noisy, you don't hear it from inside the car though, but very reliable, strong and good mileage as well.

I've been really happy with the service and quality of my DMAX but now looking at the specs and prices between the new DMAX ( which i like) and the New Chevy Colorado I think the Chevy offers better value for money.

2x4 2.5 turbo X-Cab LTZ Colorado comes in at 715,000 (with dual SRS and giving more BHP)

Are they both 4 door, i thought the extra cab was a 2 door with a small seat at the rear

suitable only for children

It is noisy, you don't hear it from inside the car though, but very reliable, strong and good mileage as well.

yep, noisy, uneven tourque curve, polluting, with latest mods its tweaked to barely pass EuroIV(required in TH form this January) while most new engines are EuroV compatibel, lower on power, not bad on fuel.

reilabel, well thats what one always say about old designs, as an excuse to keep them. all the engines in this topic are extremely reliable, as long as turbo is allowed to cool down before shutting engine off

reilabel, well thats what one always say about old designs,

Since you were quoting me: I say reliable when it is reliable, and don't care if it is an old or a new design. If it is reliable it can be called that.

reilabel, well thats what one always say about old designs,

Since you were quoting me: I say reliable when it is reliable, and don't care if it is an old or a new design. If it is reliable it can be called that.

izu/chevy 2,5 and 3,0 have had plenty of injection/valve issues in TH prior to 2008, probably caused by non biodiesel compatibel parts. as OP is looking for a new pickup, I didnt mention it previously, as its probably a past issue

Are they both 4 door, i thought the extra cab was a 2 door with a small seat at the rear

Yeah my understanding is that the X-Cab is the 4 door and the C-Cab is the 2 door

Quite a big price difference!

Yeah my understanding is that the X-Cab is the 4 door and the C-Cab is the 2 door

Quite a big price difference!

I was wrong actually the C-Cab is the 4 door so the prices are more like this:

2x4 2.5 turbo double cab DMAX Z comes in at 791,000 (136 BHP)

2x4 2.8 turbo C-Cab LTZ Colorado comes in at 798,000 (with dual SRS and 182 BHP)

Cant get the 2.5 engine with a decent spec for the Colorado

2-door is classed as a pick-up. 4-door is classed as a car. No tax on pick-ups; hefty tax on cars.

As far as i have found out, leaf springs no matter how doors pickup tax

Coil springs on rear car tax

A 4 door pickup does not cost much more than a Vios S

Nope

2 door or 2+2 door pickups seating 2-3 in one seatrow, rear bench illegal for passengers, 3% excicetax

4 door seating 5-6 in 2 seatrows, 12% excicetax

above must have chassie/frame with leafspring and able to load 1.000Kg

4-5 door ppv able to seat 7 in 3 seatrows, frame as baove, but wheelbase as short as 2,75 and rear coilspring allowed since 2004, 20% excicetax, as Fortuner and Pajero Sport.

all must be Th made, max 3250cc engine

the 2 latter groups are subject to approx double annual road tax of the 2 door pickups, 6800 baht for a 3000cc

2 door pickups have green on white plates, to clearly diffrence them from the passenger pickups and suv, having black on white as cars do

as for hefty tax on cars, hybrids no excicetax, ecocars like March and Brio and Almera, 17%

Porsche Cayenne and Panamera Hybrid, no excicetax, thats not hefty is itintheclub.gif

2-door is classed as a pick-up. 4-door is classed as a car. No tax on pick-ups; hefty tax on cars.

As far as i have found out, leaf springs no matter how doors pickup tax

Coil springs on rear car tax

A 4 door pickup does not cost much more than a Vios S

Nope

2 door or 2+2 door pickups seating 2-3 in one seatrow, rear bench illegal for passengers, 3% excicetax

4 door seating 5-6 in 2 seatrows, 12% excicetax

above must have chassie/frame with leafspring and able to load 1.000Kg

4-5 door ppv able to seat 7 in 3 seatrows, frame as baove, but wheelbase as short as 2,75 and rear coilspring allowed since 2004, 20% excicetax, as Fortuner and Pajero Sport.

all must be Th made, max 3250cc engine

the 2 latter groups are subject to approx double annual road tax of the 2 door pickups, 6800 baht for a 3000cc

2 door pickups have green on white plates, to clearly diffrence them from the passenger pickups and suv, having black on white as cars do

as for hefty tax on cars, hybrids no excicetax, ecocars like March and Brio and Almera, 17%

Porsche Cayenne and Panamera Hybrid, no excicetax, thats not hefty is itintheclub.gif

Thanks you learn something every day..