Where Is My Passport?

It's now about one month since I sent all the paperwork to HK to renew my UK passport, they haven't taken the money off my friends credit card yet ... should I be worried that the paperwork has gone astray?

Is there anyway of contacting them to see what has happened ... thanks

You say "paperwork", but not, presumably, the passport itself? Was the paperwork sent registered or via EMS or by regular mail. If sent registered or by EMS you should be able to effect a trace. I guess the first move might be to contact the folk at the British Embassy Consular Section, as they might have some idea on how long their HK colleagues normally take. There's been Chinese New Year, of course. That might have slowed things a bit.

You say "paperwork", but not, presumably, the passport itself? Was the paperwork sent registered or via EMS or by regular mail. If sent registered or by EMS you should be able to effect a trace. I guess the first move might be to contact the folk at the British Embassy Consular Section, as they might have some idea on how long their HK colleagues normally take. There's been Chinese New Year, of course. That might have slowed things a bit.

Thanks ... I didn't send my passport, just a copy. I send the application by normal mail. I have just found an e-mail address to enquire as to what is happening. [email protected] so hopefully I will get a reply.

If anyone has any other suggestion I would appreciate ... thanks

Sent my paperwork Tuesday afternoon last week, from a Village Post Office, the money was taken on Friday morning...

I did send EMS, Track and Trace' website is slow, by this Tuesday still showed as arriving at BKK airport, only on Wednesday did it show as arriving - signed for at 09:05 am on the Friday.

Thanks ... I didn't send my passport, just a copy. I send the application by normal mail. I have just found an e-mail address to enquire as to what is happening. [email protected] so hopefully I will get a reply.

If anyone has any other suggestion I would appreciate ... thanks

how you can send for a new passport by normal mail is asking for trouble,why didnt you use the courier service recommened,you should know things go missing in the post expecially passports,or was it the cost that put you off.

At least you've not lost your passport, and it's still valid if the documents haven't arrived. As others have noted, sending important documents by regular mail really is asking for problems, use EMS as a an absolute minimum.

From the website of the HK passport issuing chaps http://ukinhongkong....enewals#contact

If you cannot find the information you need on the website, you could contact the Careline Passport Information Line at +44 208 082 4744 (Credit Card Line - calls will be charged at £0.72 per minute plus VAT) 19:00 Sunday UK time - 01:30 Saturday UK time (24 hour service). Please be aware that you will be charged for this call.

Scary numbers in the charges sad.png

• Like 1

how you can send for a new passport by normal mail is asking for trouble,why didnt you use the courier service recommened,you should know things go missing in the post expecially passports,or was it the cost that put you off.

Why is sending a form by registered post asking for trouble? it's not as though you are sending the actual passport.

Many people have posted on here that they found using the postal system more convienient, and have not had a problem.

Back to the original question. Yes. I would say that your paperwork has gone astry. Not forgetting of course that applications are now sent form Hong Kong onto London for processing. The passport is then sent directly to you from London.

A friend of mine used my credit card for payment recently. The money was taken after 10 days and the new passport back just inside a month.

Application sent by EMS and passport returned by DHL.

If I were you I would start a new application and send it by EMS.

Back to the original question. Yes. I would say that your paperwork has gone astry. Not forgetting of course that applications are now sent form Hong Kong onto London for processing. The passport is then sent directly to you from London.

A friend of mine used my credit card for payment recently. The money was taken after 10 days and the new passport back just inside a month.

Application sent by EMS and passport returned by DHL.

If I were you I would start a new application and send it by EMS.

I would include a covering letter stating that an application has already been lodged but seems to have gone missing just to ensure that you don't end up getting two passports and being charged twice.

Why is sending a form by registered post asking for trouble? it's not as though you are sending the actual passport.

Many people have posted on here that they found using the postal system more convienient, and have not had a problem.

Any important documentation sent internationally should be sent ems or private express carrier like fedex.

The op or any anyone else who uses regular mail for this is asking for problems, such as:

1) delayed processing or lost paperwork.

2) if you had plans to go somewhere, you may have to delay that (must wait for new passport). You still have to pay for hotel in current location.

3) duplicate paperwork and more time to resend paperwork.

We spend $1000s on a plane ticket, women, hotels, etc. But we cannot afford an extra $50-100 for two express envelopes?

Trying to cut corners on something like this is being penny smart, pound foolish.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app.

I paid 400 baht last week sending EMS from a Village Post Office...... 3 days later it had been received and the money taken from my Debit Card.

For me a Post Office is 13 km round trip........ Listed DHL Office would have been over 100 km

please read the thread,the op sent his application by NORMAL MAIL i thought the passport agency would not send a passport back by ordinary post.op is going to have a few sleepless nights.

please read the thread,the op sent his application by NORMAL MAIL i thought the passport agency would not send a passport back by ordinary post.op is going to have a few sleepless nights.

I apologise, I missed the word "normal", I had assumed he sent it by EMS, which I agree would have been the sensible thing to do.

• Like 1

Thanks ... no sleepless nights just have to apply again I think ... my understanding is that they just deduct the return postage from the credit card ... well this is what it says on the credit card form

A charge for the return of your new passport(s) and supporting documents will be added to the passport fee. Please visit the passport pages on our website: www.ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk for the latest information on fees and delivery charges. Actual fees at the time of issuance may fluctuate due to exchange rate movements. We will calculate the correct fee on your behalf. Your signature on this form indicates acceptance of these terms and authorises us to charge the actual fee to your card. You will receive a receipt showing the actual fee when your supporting documents are returned to you.

Edited by tombkk
Font size

my understanding is that they just deduct the return postage from the credit card ... well this is what it says on the credit card form

Not sure what you mean ? Fee = Passport + return Postage........ On Friday they took 7,552 baht from my Debit card, ordered the normal 32 page, if i remember a few weeks ago on another post it was 9,xxx baht for a 48 page...

I have at present a 32 page 10 year Passport, still have pages left, 10 years almost up, Passport ends in June.

my understanding is that they just deduct the return postage from the credit card ... well this is what it says on the credit card form

Not sure what you mean ? Fee = Passport + return Postage........ On Friday they took 7,552 baht from my Debit card, ordered the normal 32 page, if i remember a few weeks ago on another post it was 9,xxx baht for a 48 page...

I have at present a 32 page 10 year Passport, still have pages left, 10 years almost up, Passport ends in June.

This is what is printed on the credit card form A charge for the return of your new passport(s) and supporting documents will be added to the passport fee. Please visit the passport pages on our website: www.ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk for the latest information on fees and delivery charges. Actual fees at the time of issuance may fluctuate due to exchange rate movements. We will calculate the correct fee on your behalf. Your signature on this form indicates acceptance of these terms and authorises us to charge the actual fee to your card. You will receive a receipt showing the actual fee when your supporting documents are returned to you.

So by the above, well that is the way it reads to me, you just sign the Credit Card Authorisation Form and they take both fees.

Did you manage to use a DEBIT CARD?, it says that Debit Cards are not accepted. I have a UK Debit Card, is yours a UK Debit Card? If so I'll use my Debit Card.

Thanks

Edited by tombkk
Font size

I sent mine last week and using the girlfriend's visa debit card, mine was delayed due to a training day and 3-day chinese holidays but money was debited when they reopened 3 days later ~9k for 48pages. If no money has yet been deducted there probably a problem with it. I would send it all again and pay the 400baht fee to use EMS at any post office. Include a covering letter to not process twice (or disregard any subsequent application if your application eventually arrives)

Edited by matt111

Did you manage to use a DEBIT CARD?, it says that Debit Cards are not accepted. I have a UK Debit Card, is yours a UK Debit Card? If so I'll use my Debit Card.

No used my Thai Debit Card........

Did you read the notes on the Bangkok British Embassy website ? clearly states that Debit card can be used as long has it has the Visa or MasterCard emblem on........... Also states many other things sending from Thailand, which is a lot different than the re-directed Hong Kong site

Yipee ... It turned up today ... two DHL packages, one with my new passport in and one with the postage credit card slip.

Now where the confusion lies is a mis-understanding ... that’s nothing unusual here. As I said to Crossy whos wife said ‘No new pickup!’, just go and get one and say mis-understanding ‘I thought you said Yes’.

My friend has this ‘above platinum card’ and he used that card to pay as I don’t have a credit card. Now I thought he told me that every time it’s used he gets a text message, however he told me yesterday that it only sends him a text message when cash is drawn on the card.

So happy ever after, last night I filled new forms in ... more scrap paper!

Edited by JAS21

Yipee ... It turned up today ... two DHL packages, one with my new passport in and one with the postage credit card slip.

Now where the confusion lies is a mis-understanding ... that’s nothing unusual here. As I said to Crossy whos wife said ‘No new pickup!’, just go and get one and say mis-understanding ‘I thought you said Yes’.

My friend has this ‘above platinum card’ and he used that card to pay as I don’t have a credit card. Now I thought he told me that every time it’s used he gets a text message, however he told me yesterday that it only sends him a text message when cash is drawn on the card.

So happy ever after, last night I filled new forms in ... more scrap paper!

get the beer out

^^^ Indeed get the beer out.

As well that ends well, it least it kept us all amused for a few days.

I suppose it will not be too long before we can apply, and pay, online, and maybe get them cheaper.

Whilst we're on the subject, has anyone ever paid with of those dodgy Kasikorn Debit Cards or one of their Virtual Credit Cards?

l sent my passport renewal to Hong Kong via DHL on 11 January 2012 and my new passport arrived today 3 February 2012. Not a bad service from IPS but a shame it was expensive way of doing things and was much better and cheaper when the passports where renewed at the British Embassy in Bangkok

I would say that by now you should have heard something, or at least had the credit card debited.

What I don't understand is why you sent it to Hong Kong.

I know that the British Embassy in BKK no longer does passport applications, and they recommend that you send it to Hong Kong,

Try sending it to the UK, its almost 1/2 the cost & as long as you have a mailing address in the UK. It seems to get turned around a lot quicker than doing it in Hong Kong.

I sent for a renewal passport to HK last October, they debitted my account in December, I heard from them on Ist Feb this year saying my face on my pic was 1mm short, they emailed me in Dec but got my email wrong. I have sent new pics and hope to receive my new document shortly, fingers very crossed.

In Uk they recommend not to register a passport as more likely to be stolen

I would say that by now you should have heard something, or at least had the credit card debited. He has, see post number 21 dated 3 Feb

I know that the British Embassy in BKK no longer does passport applications, and they recommend that you send it to Hong Kong, They don't just recommend it, if you live in Thailand you are required to apply to the Regional Processing Centre in Hong Kong.

Try sending it to the UK, its almost 1/2 the cost & as long as you have a mailing address in the UK. It seems to get turned around a lot quicker than doing it in Hong Kong. The IPS in the UK doesn't process passport applications sent from abroad. If you're outside the UK, your passport application has to be processed abroad by a regional passport processing centre. If you tried to do this you would need to send your original passport to a friend in the UK, not a copy as in an application through the proper channels, you will not have your passport available in Thailand. You could possibly also encounter a problem with Thai Immigration when you regularised your new passport

I would say that by now you should have heard something, or at least had the credit card debited.

I know that the British Embassy in BKK no longer does passport applications, and they recommend that you send it to Hong Kong,

Try sending it to the UK, its almost 1/2 the cost & as long as you have a mailing address in the UK. It seems to get turned around a lot quicker than doing it in Hong Kong.

He got his new passport 2 days ago... helps to read all posts ;)

Try sending it to the UK, its almost 1/2 the cost & as long as you have a mailing address in the UK. It seems to get turned around a lot quicker than doing it in Hong Kong. The IPS in the UK doesn't process passport applications sent from abroad. If you're outside the UK, your passport application has to be processed abroad by a regional passport processing centre. If you tried to do this you would need to send your original passport to a friend in the UK, not a copy as in an application through the proper channels, you will not have your passport available in Thailand. You could possibly also encounter a problem with Thai Immigration when you regularised your new passport

Hence that why it makes sense to have 2 passports. You send the signed application to a parent, relative or even friend.

It is then posted from the UK & returned to that address & then couried over to Thailand.

Still cheaper & quicker than sending an applicatin to Hong Kong,

Yes you can legally hold more than 1 passport. Whilst some officails even in the Britsh Embassy deny that you can. The only thing that it is illegal to do is to use two passports at the same time. So if you enter Thailand on A passport, you can only leave on A passport..

I've had multiple passports for over 15 years & at one time had 3 all valid and using all three.

I've had multiple passports for over 15 years & at one time had 3 all valid and using all three.

I thought you could only get a second passport with a covering letter from your company explaining why you needed it.

Usual candidates are people like workers on oil rigs, or people applying for work visas in countries where they are known to take a significant amount of time to be issued.

Not many people outside the oil industry realise that you need your passport to travel to an oil rig, even if it's in UK waters. So if you were on 2-on/2-off, you'd literally need the passport to turn up within the 2 week period if they didn't let you have a second one. Add in that Glasgow is the closest place to Aberdeen for the express services, and the express services aren't exactly cheap, so it's not really a viable option given the number of people involved, even more so for those still based in Shetland. Hence the second passport, (usually the company also pays for it as it's work-related).