Calling Home

Bizz

When i bring my mobile to los do i change the sim card

or keep my vodafone sim card

or buy a calling card

which calling card is best for calling mobile to mobile from Thailand

If you want to minimze your calling costs, for both calls within Thailand and international, then purchase a local SIM from one of the Thai mobile service providers; 1-2-Call (AIS), Happy(DTAC), Orange. They all offer a lot of promotions but Orange may offer the cheapest local calling tariffs?

Chances are good you'll need your passport when you buy a pre-paid SIM as they need to be 'registered'.

For international calls, using a local SIM, dial 009 or 008, then the country code and telephone number.

Local calling rates range from less than 1 baht per minute up to 5 baht per minute; int'l voice calls vary by country, but calls to the U.K. and U.S. are 9 baht per minute, or 6/7 baht per minute when using the 008/009 prefixes; local SMS'es cost ~ 3 baht (or less) to send, while int'l SMSes cost 9 baht (or less to send). Recieved SMSes are free. All these figures are approximate, average and exclusive of 7% VAT.

Your mobile phone must be able to accept other SIMs, and may be 'locked'. If so, it can be unlocked here, at nearly any mobile shop, for a small fee.

Local, pre-paid SIMs retail for ~ 250 THB and typically come with 50 THB of talk-time. Top-up cards can be purchased everywhere (any mini-market).

Some pre-paid SIMs require you to register, specifically request certain features like int'l roaming/calling/messaging.

The downside to a local SIM is that your home country number will not ring through (obviously), but you can leave a greeting on your home country voice-mail referencing your new, temporary number in Thailand.

When i bring my mobile to los do i change the sim card

or keep my vodafone sim card

or buy a calling card

which calling card is best for calling mobile to mobile from Thailand

If you want to minimze your calling costs, for both calls within Thailand and international, then purchase a local SIM from one of the Thai mobile service providers; 1-2-Call (AIS), Happy(DTAC), Orange. They all offer a lot of promotions but Orange may offer the cheapest local calling tariffs?

Chances are good you'll need your passport when you buy a pre-paid SIM as they need to be 'registered'.

For international calls, using a local SIM, dial 009 or 008, then the country code and telephone number.

Local calling rates range from less than 1 baht per minute up to 5 baht per minute; int'l voice calls vary by country, but calls to the U.K. and U.S. are 9 baht per minute, or 6/7 baht per minute when using the 008/009 prefixes; local SMS'es cost ~ 3 baht (or less) to send, while int'l SMSes cost 9 baht (or less to send). Recieved SMSes are free. All these figures are approximate, average and exclusive of 7% VAT.

Your mobile phone must be able to accept other SIMs, and may be 'locked'. If so, it can be unlocked here, at nearly any mobile shop, for a small fee.

Local, pre-paid SIMs retail for ~ 250 THB and typically come with 50 THB of talk-time. Top-up cards can be purchased everywhere (any mini-market).

Some pre-paid SIMs require you to register, specifically request certain features like int'l roaming/calling/messaging.

The downside to a local SIM is that your home country number will not ring through (obviously), but you can leave a greeting on your home country voice-mail referencing your new, temporary number in Thailand.

Many thanks for the clear information most healpfull.