Tyre Pressures For Long Ride ( Ok Tire'S For Some)

monty1412

Have waded through posts and internet postings and seems to be two schools of thoughts re tyre pressures for long ride ( heading off to CM from BKK on Thursday).

1st school is leave them as manufacturer recommends.. heat build up will cause 6-9% increase in inflation as you ride however no difference

2nd school is that you should slightly under-inflate say 5-10%.

I dont plan to go to hot in my riding style although on 101 from Sukhothaii to Den Chai it is a great road with lovely sweeping bends.

As being relative newbie to riding and on my Fazer FZ1 the bike has capability beyond my riding ability so no issue of pushing the bike limits.

So what is general consensus re tyre inflation for long trip. Im inclined to follow manufacturers guidelines unless there is compelling reason to differ ??

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

What tires are you running? Riding solo or with pillion?

These variables are important when deciding what pressure to run, though at the end of the day, for a road tour it's not going to make a huge difference if you're a few psi high or low.

Solo with pretty new Pirelli's

These variables are important when deciding what pressure to run, though at the end of the day, for a road tour it's not going to make a huge difference if you're a few psi high or low.

Der... which Pirellis... Angels? Rosso? Rosso II? Supercorsa? Other? If a touring tire I usually go up a couple psi for highway riding. If a sport tire I usually run it right at the manufacturer's recommended pressure. If carrying a pillion or a lot of luggage, go up a few psi. If roads are wet or slippery drop a few psi. Again, it's not going to make a huge difference if you're a little bit under or over the optimum pressure, just don't go below 30 or over 40 and you'll be just fine. Have a great trip! T

just don't go below 30 or over 40 and you'll be just fine. Have a great trip! T

My touring bike 34 Front 42 rear, never drop below 40 on the rear if touring. Pirelli Angels

My hooning around bike 29 front, 29 rear never go above 30 Conti Attack SM

Der... which Pirellis... Angels? Rosso? Rosso II? Supercorsa? Other? If a touring tire I usually go up a couple psi for highway riding. If a sport tire I usually run it right at the manufacturer's recommended pressure. If carrying a pillion or a lot of luggage, go up a few psi. If roads are wet or slippery drop a few psi. Again, it's not going to make a huge difference if you're a little bit under or over the optimum pressure, just don't go below 30 or over 40 and you'll be just fine. Have a great trip! T

Thanks Tony, they are round and black onesgiggle.gif ... actually Angels.. should have mentioned it.

Cheers

Thanks Tony, they are round and black onesgiggle.gif ... actually Angels.. should have mentioned it.

Cheers

Lolz! Round and black! ;)

Pirelli Angels are a dual compound sport touring tire and most folks I know who have tried them (Travelmate included) haven't been very happy with them. Personally I'd recommend going a few psi lower (around ~36psi cold) to improve feedback and traction. But again, if it's just mellow highway riding, it's not all that critical one way or the other.