Nakhon Sawan News

nong38

Thanks for the reminder Wayne and hope things are getting better for you. The Baan Isaan is regarded by NS people as the number one place to go locally, but not sure if it is open lunchtimes/daytime, don't think I've been there this millennium.

You have a point fredo about the restaurant scene here, with a population of around 100,000 including a high proportion of supposedly wealthy Thai-Chinese one would expect a bit more. For what it's worth a mildly pissed-up Canadian recently told me the sushi place next to The Walk is excellent and (of necessity) reasonably priced.

There is work going on at the now defunct Yellow Bar (recently aka Chills) on Davwadeong -- home of customer free coffee bars and ladies fashion shops. The speedy way things are done here we will soon know if it is of interest to the likes of us.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the reminder Wayne and hope things are getting better for you. The Baan Isaan is regarded by NS people as the number one place to go locally, but not sure if it is open lunchtimes/daytime, don't think I've been there this millennium.

You have a point fredo about the restaurant scene here, with a population of around 100,000 including a high proportion of supposedly wealthy Thai-Chinese one would expect a bit more. For what it's worth a mildly pissed-up Canadian recently told me the sushi place next to The Walk is excellent and (of necessity) reasonably priced.

There is work going on at the now defunct Yellow Bar (recently aka Chills) on Davwadeong -- home of customer free coffee bars and ladies fashion shops. The speedy way things are done here we will soon know if it is of interest to the likes of us.

Thanks for the updates Restaurant wise, will give B/Issan a go but sorry to say that the Sushi one will be giving that a miss. H/M will eat/try anything even Mr's H/M chicken feet one of her specialities.

It's just that Mr's H/M wont eat Japanese food, did take her to one once she picked about at the fish bit's but hated the rice said it was to sweet.

We ended up calling 'if that's the word' into a Thai roadside stall later for a top up.

If any of you mob are passing through K.P.P anytime just give the nod and I will get Mr's H/M to cook you up something delish. Sorry no takeaway bags what's leftover over goes to our dog. Or I have to eat tepid in the morning.

H/M.

Fredo.

Thanks for the updates Restaurant wise, will give B/Issan a go but sorry to say that the Sushi one will be giving that a miss. H/M will eat/try anything even Mr's H/M chicken feet one of her specialities.

It's just that Mr's H/M wont eat Japanese food, did take her to one once she picked about at the fish bit's but hated the rice said it was to sweet.

We ended up calling 'if that's the word' into a Thai roadside stall later for a top up.

If any of you mob are passing through K.P.P anytime just give the nod and I will get Mr's H/M to cook you up something delish. Sorry no takeaway bags what's leftover over goes to our dog. Or I have to eat tepid in the morning.

H/M.

Fredo.

Thank you for your kind offer but I don't eat chickens feet and I know what Mrs H/Ms coffee is like and I have nothing that I need the paint stripped off it at the moment.

The next time you are at home and I pop in I will bring my own jig saw for the chocolate wholemeal biscuits.

Cheers

H/M.

Fredo.

Thank you for your kind offer but I don't eat chickens feet and I know what Mrs H/Ms coffee is like and I have nothing that I need the paint stripped off it at the moment.

The next time you are at home and I pop in I will bring my own jig saw for the chocolate wholemeal biscuits.

Cheers

Your always welcome Bill, I've no doubt that I will be inundated with punters now you have posted your complementary words. I shall inform Mr's H/M that we could soon be full to the brim, and she should make up a huge order from the local butcher.

If you could give us some sort of warning when you will be in attendance I would hate to see you miss out on one of her culinary delights.

H/M.

Fred.

You could always schedule it as a monthly event like the "full moon party" on Koh Phangan. You could call it the FULL MOAN party! You could order crumpets, jam, coffee and all other kinds of goodies fro Passion delivery in Bangkok and have them delivered to your house in the outback!

You could always schedule it as a monthly event like the "full moon party" on Koh Phangan. You could call it the FULL MOAN party! You could order crumpets, jam, coffee and all other kinds of goodies fro Passion delivery in Bangkok and have them delivered to your house in the outback!

Outback Outback. Point of order H/M doesn't live in the outback. Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't someone we know live on one of those.

I did think your idea of an order/party might hold some promise, so took the liberty of looking up several food sites, not one supplied Chickens feet or any other intestinal goodies come to that.

How Mrs H/M would get on cooking wise without any of those delish bits, Buddha only knows.

Not a problem regarding the moaning bit as H/M is somewhat adept at that allegedly.

Will give it more thought and update as thing's progress.

H/M.

Fred.

Well it is sort of every couple of months or so and I would rather H/M Fred ordered and paid for it as I am a poor man living in the outback and H/M Fred is a rich city slicker.

Besides if you had ever tried Mrs H/Ms coffee it would be a one time visit only.

Fred,

I'm in Sinny at the moment but have been known to visit 'the outback'. I include a recent holiday snap so people get an idea of what the outback looks like.

So that's what the outback is like, I thought it would look somewhat more desolate.

Come to think of it reminds one of the hooker bar I happened to venture into on the last trip to Pattaya H/M had. Well the pose does anyway.

No doubt we will all be updated once David 'Nong' Returns to N/S. Pattaya does seem to be one of his regular haunts lately.

Hope to catch up with you Bill the younger once you return to the city of charm K.P.P.

You and your good lady of cause have an invite to chateau H/M, I do have some VIP seats still available, if I'm pushed for room I'll make Bill the elder sit with the lower class from N/S. That'll teach him not to insult Mrs H/M coffee.

I do believe that Mrs H/M is as I tap showing photos of Build to our Ridge Back Mar with the words attack under it. I do believe that Build has been on the receiving end of her in the past. Kind remarks needed in future you have been warned.

H/M.

Fred.

Anyone looking for the German Haus on the Tk Road just before the by pass will be dissappointed, its gone and has been for a while. Since the great building of the Super Ring Road project got under way the land prices also got under way and its gone! Yes it was good, now just memories.

Returned from Pattaya on saturday, not much on the road so exports must be well down, arrived back in the "Hub" before they get the bunting out!

Pattaya not at all busy, stayed at the Palm Garden ( once 2nd home to some aristocrat from KPP) on arrival we were only the 2nd people to be by the pool at 1330.

Whatever anyone reads about tourism they aint in Patters and Russians well very sparce, according to the local parchments they selling their condos like no tomorrow. Lots of Chinese of course, I will have to take a cane with multi coloured flag on next time so the wife does not get in with the wrong crowd.

So a nice peaceful visit to the coast, one night of rain otherwise good cricket weather.

Outback Outback. Point of order H/M doesn't live in the outback. Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't someone we know live on one of those.

I did think your idea of an order/party might hold some promise, so took the liberty of looking up several food sites, not one supplied Chickens feet or any other intestinal goodies come to that.

How Mrs H/M would get on cooking wise without any of those delish bits, Buddha only knows.

Not a problem regarding the moaning bit as H/M is somewhat adept at that allegedly.

H/M.

Fred.

I'm not from Oz.

My house faces south so, obviously the back of the house faces north. KKP is north of where I live so it, and anything north is "outback"! I don't live in the outback, I live in the house which is in the "boonies" or in the "sticks". If I lived in the outback I would be outside with the dogs but now that Lek is gone that doesn't happen.

You could always hold your "full moan party" at Baan Issan. I'm sure that it would be packed if you were footing the bill. I might even venture there, sneaking down the river road or coming in the back way from the bypass. Mrs. HM could stop by the market and buy some feet and intestinal goodies. I'm sure that the cooks at Baan issan would create a fabulous tasting dish for her at your expense.

H/M.

Fred.

I'm not from Oz.

My house faces south so, obviously the back of the house faces north. KKP is north of where I live so it, and anything north is "outback"! I don't live in the outback, I live in the house which is in the "boonies" or in the "sticks". If I lived in the outback I would be outside with the dogs but now that Lek is gone that doesn't happen.

You could always hold your "full moan party" at Baan Issan. I'm sure that it would be packed if you were footing the bill. I might even venture there, sneaking down the river road or coming in the back way from the bypass. Mrs. HM could stop by the market and buy some feet and intestinal goodies. I'm sure that the cooks at Baan issan would create a fabulous tasting dish for her at your expense.

At my expense At my expense. Those words bring a chill to my wallet.

I'll have you know that good Chickens feet are not easy to get Mrs H/M has to go to the market at 5am to get the large delish ones normally 3+kg at a time (None of those normal scraggy things) Then spend at least 4 hours preparing/cooking same, first they have to be declawed, trimmed, the pads on the bottom have to be scored before one can even begin the cooking process. According to her culinary delights cannot be rushed.

The last thing I want is to have to go to N/S buy second rate intestine then have to wait several hours whilst the Bann Issan sorts them out added to that those bounders the lower class all sitting around drinking while H/M is faced with paying the tab at the end.

Then again one thinks it might be a good idea watching all the N/S non Thais tucking in, I've no doubt that it'll be the last time some or all for that matter would attend.

If anyone would like to have the recipe H/M would be more than pleased to post same.

Reply to Nong's post.

Must admit that I did once or twice frequent Palm Garden hotel, always found it pleasant/clean enough. When they let me down on a booking that was the last straw.

So the German Haus has closed yet another N/S Restaurant a goner. They still have a website open. If you Google restaurants in N/S, amongst the very few that come up other than Noodle stalls

The German Haus is there in all it glory complete with snaps.

H/M.

Fred.

Fred,

The outback varies a lot. I've included a few of my pics showing the Simpson Desert, the largest venomous snake I have ever seen crossing a 4WD bush track (a 3 metre+ brown snake, highly poisonous and capable of delivering a huge amount of lethal venom), some deceased wild dogs (cross breed dingo/alsatian/whatever) and the sort of vehicle that would have accounted for the bovine in my previous post.

Re the road train-if you want to get your adrenalin pumping try overtaking one of the b@stards through its dust cloud on a dirt road. You have to drive blind on the wrong side of the road with small rocks popping out from its tyres until you get pastpost-170833-0-43801900-1441624892_thumb.post-170833-0-07150600-1441624857_thumb.post-170833-0-89737800-1441624907_thumb.post-170833-0-05488500-1441624921_thumb. the prime mover.

Thanks for your kind offer of hospitality, we'll be sure to take you up on it as soon as we are back in KPP, let me know if you would like us to bring any particular Aussie delicacies not including the wildlife/roadkill pictured.

Fred,

The outback varies a lot. I've included a few of my pics showing the Simpson Desert, the largest venomous snake I have ever seen crossing a 4WD bush track (a 3 metre+ brown snake, highly poisonous and capable of delivering a huge amount of lethal venom), some deceased wild dogs (cross breed dingo/alsatian/whatever) and the sort of vehicle that would have accounted for the bovine in my previous post.

Re the road train-if you want to get your adrenalin pumping try overtaking one of the b@stards through its dust cloud on a dirt road. You have to drive blind on the wrong side of the road with small rocks popping out from its tyres until you get pastattachicon.gif20150523_173318.jpgattachicon.gifP1070845.JPGattachicon.gif20150522_150706.jpgattachicon.gif20150604_100049(0).jpg the prime mover.

Thanks for your kind offer of hospitality, we'll be sure to take you up on it as soon as we are back in KPP, let me know if you would like us to bring any particular Aussie delicacies not including the wildlife/roadkill pictured.

Great snaps Bill the younger.

I'm sure that your snake problem would soon be sorted if Mrs H/M lived there.

Dogs there it seems are dealt with the Aus: way, unlike Thailand who allegedly send them to another country, for food.

I'm sure that Bill the elder as well as Wayne would recognise the roads. Buddha only knows what those lorries must be like to follow or overtake, whatever Thailand will give one some good training.

Nothing I want being brought back thank you. Unless you can supply large Chickens feet at less than 75bt a KL.

H/M.

Fred.

Fred,

Large chicken feet eh? How about these as the next best thing, they are not chooks but they stand 6 foot tall. can travel at around 50 kmph and weigh 50kg or so. Can't say I have ever heard of anyone trying emu feet but there is always a first time. Maybe your missus would like to be the pioneer?

post-170833-0-12500600-1441694374_thumb.

Fred,

Large chicken feet eh? How about these as the next best thing, they are not chooks but they stand 6 foot tall. can travel at around 50 kmph and weigh 50kg or so. Can't say I have ever heard of anyone trying emu feet but there is always a first time. Maybe your missus would like to be the pioneer?

Perfect I knew I could rely on you to come up with something to fit the Bill.

If you could get half a dozen of same cut off just below the knee would be obliged.

Whether I have a pot big enough is another thing I might have to look into.

I'm sure that the N/S peeps would be delighted to indulge in same. Now that yet another restaurant the German Haus has closed.

Did you notice that the Emu in the foreground somewhat resembled Mrs H/M.

Maybe an eye thing.

H/M.

Fred.

Here's a blurb about the Ban Issan restaurant. Forgot about the Huan Talab also good food on the river road a couple of kilometers past immigration going west. Not as pricey as Baan Issan. http://www.nakhonsawanprovince.com/restaurant.htm

I'm doing okay. Just replanted the corn. The first planting was ploughed under due to lack of rain. So far this crop looks good and we have been getting rain every afternoon. The big brother of the beast to in pieces awaiting parts from the US, a set of rasp bars for the thresher. I wanted to service it in Feb but the Thais being Thais they always wait until the last minute and now its rush rush.

been fight a wound on the bottom of my foot for the last five months that just won't heal. I finally let the "vampires" take a knife to it last week and it seems to be doing better.

After my last trip to Makro I've given up. I bought a package of four steaks from Oz that were so bad they ended up being dog food. I just ordered a delivery from Passion Delivery in Bangkok. Products from 7 stores. So far so good the beef is great and I'm into some lamb tonight. Well worth the price.

attachicon.gifDSC01064.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01055.JPG

Like Bill also glad to see that you are still plodding on the corn is coming on as well.

The Beef also looks good any chance of a sandwich.

I see that the B/Issan has VIP rooms, seems somewhat wasted on the locals but for us up north peeps just the thing. Will give it a try when I'm about. What with that and the S café at least I should be able to find some half decent grub.

H/M.

Fred.

Fred the VIP rooms are for Karaoke so should be right up your street, the Police use them, only round the corner!

Fred,

Re the road train-if you want to get your adrenalin pumping try overtaking one of the b@stards through its dust cloud on a dirt road. You have to drive blind on the wrong side of the road with small rocks popping out from its tyres until you get pastattachicon.gif20150523_173318.jpgattachicon.gifP1070845.JPGattachicon.gif20150522_150706.jpgattachicon.gif20150604_100049(0).jpg the prime mover.

THank you for the real KPP pictures its even worse than I thought!

Here's a blurb about the Ban Issan restaurant. Forgot about the Huan Talab also good food on the river road a couple of kilometers past immigration going west. Not as pricey as Baan Issan. http://www.nakhonsawanprovince.com/restaurant.htm

I'm doing okay. Just replanted the corn. The first planting was ploughed under due to lack of rain. So far this crop looks good and we have been getting rain every afternoon. The big brother of the beast to in pieces awaiting parts from the US, a set of rasp bars for the thresher. I wanted to service it in Feb but the Thais being Thais they always wait until the last minute and now its rush rush.

been fight a wound on the bottom of my foot for the last five months that just won't heal. I finally let the "vampires" take a knife to it last week and it seems to be doing better.

After my last trip to Makro I've given up. I bought a package of four steaks from Oz that were so bad they ended up being dog food. I just ordered a delivery from Passion Delivery in Bangkok. Products from 7 stores. So far so good the beef is great and I'm into some lamb tonight. Well worth the price.

attachicon.gifDSC01064.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01055.JPG

Like Bill also glad to see that you are still plodding on the corn is coming on as well.

The Beef also looks good any chance of a sandwich.

I see that the B/Issan has VIP rooms, seems somewhat wasted on the locals but for us up north peeps just the thing. Will give it a try when I'm about. What with that and the S café at least I should be able to find some half decent grub.

H/M.

Fred.

Fred the VIP rooms are for Karaoke so should be right up your street, the Police use them, only round the corner!
Karaoke Oh Dear that word.

Well that's another one that's on the no thank you black list. The last thing H/M wants when I out for a meal is peeps wailing in the background.

Just wouldn't be Cricket.

H/M.

Fred.

90 day report today, staff nice as pie, in and out in under 2 minutes, gotta be a world record, but then again I am one of the West N/S aristocracy, might have something to do with it.

Well done you, they keep H/M several hours I think it's because they like to hear my dulcet upper class tones.

May I suggest that they get you out sharpish before you bore them to tears about the Cricket. That by the way we won today bringing the one day matches to 2 all so far.

London news

Jonathon King him of Every Ones Gone to the Moon fame, has been arrested. Don't ask, but if you have to it's the usual under age thing.

Labour is about to announce the new leader. For all labour followers look like Labour will be out of the running for a decade or so.

H/M.

Fred.

Note to H/M don't forget to sign out.

J COrbyn voted in for Labour so thats them finished then, meanwhile back in the Hub of civilization the the new sawan Park out in Tocland is actually for water retention, they have been digging and dredging for weeks now from dawn til dusk, it a lot lot deeper than it used to be, far too deep to accomadate a few fish for feeding.

The river is not getting any higher although we have had some rain this last week and it will not be long before we another market alone the banks of the river for the long boat racing, the river might just about be able to support the event, but anyone heading for Immigration should use Sawanvittee instead of the River Road, I will let you know when the market starts to appear, Sawanvittee runs from Big C east and west if you were wondering.

The cricket is going well England fight back from 2-0 down to 2-2 with the final on sunday at Old Trafford ( cricket ground not the Football place).

Tonight is the Last Night of the Proms in London and around the UK always a great night, will look out for it on Youtube shortly, this is karaoke UK style!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heading Immigration from now on should avoid the Riverside Road, one of the wonderful OTOP markets is preparing today. If you need to go to Immigration turn down by BIG C and use Sawanvittee until you get to the Police station, turn left down the side of it. Market will be there for this week at least and probably next as well, its the Long Boat racing festival, will keep you informed as to when it all clear.

Anyone heading Immigration from now on should avoid the Riverside Road, one of the wonderful OTOP markets is preparing today. If you need to go to Immigration turn down by BIG C and use Sawanvittee until you get to the Police station, turn left down the side of it. Market will be there for this week at least and probably next as well, its the Long Boat racing festival, will keep you informed as to when it all clear.

Thanks for your usual informative post David.

At last somewhere decent to eat well if it's anything like the ones we have here there will be.

All day dried noodles over cooked prawns ETC.

Right for every ones information H/M is now it Blighty. Having to sort our Mator, she has just come out of Hospital all seems fine glad to say, will be arriving back in 4/5 weeks. Thank you Buddha.

No markets here just the usual cold windy wet and high prices.

H/M thinks that lots of peeps have lost/loosing the plot went shopping yesterday 'it was raining blustery wind' donned in my usual ski togs, and there they 'several in fact' were trolling along with shorts and light summer tops. Sad really to see what has become of the English.

What are they trying to prove one asks ones self.

H/M.

Fred.

At last somewhere decent to eat well if it's anything like the ones we have here there will be.

Right for every ones information H/M is now it Blighty. Having to sort our Mator, she has just come out of Hospital all seems fine glad to say, will be arriving back in 4/5 weeks. Thank you Buddha.

H/M thinks that lots of peeps have lost/loosing the plot went shopping yesterday 'it was raining blustery wind' donned in my usual ski togs, and there they 'several in fact' were trolling along with shorts and light summer tops. Sad really to see what has become of the English.

H/M.

Fred.

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun,

The Japanese don´t care to, the Chinese wouldn´t dare to,

Hindus and Argentines sleep firmly from twelve to one

But Englishmen detest-a siesta.

In the Philippines they have lovely screens to protect you from the glare.

In the Malay States, there are hats like plates which the Britishers won't wear.

In Bangkok at twelve o'clock they foam at the mouth and run,

But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

Fred, I think I speak for everyone here that we hope goes well for you whilst in the Jolly old UK complete with all the looney MPs. Now when you come back we would all like at your expense, of course, a case of real ale! Thank you and good night, we will be dreaming of you taking such care of us.

I am your obedient servant,

Lord Dowding.

H/M.

Fred.

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun,

The Japanese don´t care to, the Chinese wouldn´t dare to,

Hindus and Argentines sleep firmly from twelve to one

But Englishmen detest-a siesta.

In the Philippines they have lovely screens to protect you from the glare.

In the Malay States, there are hats like plates which the Britishers won't wear.

In Bangkok at twelve o'clock they foam at the mouth and run,

But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

Thank you for your enlightening post, I would just like to ask what midday sun.

Plenty of mad dogs though mostly wearing shorts.

As far as bringing back a case of real ale not a chance David as you know us upper class can obtain western ale in K.P.P and delish it is to. Coals to Newcastle seems a trite over the top.

Update on Blighty still cold plenty of rain, heating on full time even though they are telling us on the all repeat's TV it's mild for the time of year.

Even having to spend time in N/S would seem somewhat joyful,(H/M little jest)

Orf now as it's my turn to huddle round a bit of the radiator.

H/M.

Fred.

I think he might be posing as a refugee folks!

Any way, got a phone call from someone claiming to be in the tax office today claiming that beer tax has suddenly dropped in KPP and as I was somewhat of an ale expert perhaps I could help them to understand the situation.

Well how could I refuse? I told them the reason was that some bloke dressed in a red jacket, Jodphurs, black riding helmet and wearing a monacle, but no riding boots ( he always forgets and goes in slippers) had fled to Blighty to cash in or the mass immigration but not to worry there were plenty of chaps in Nakkers who will boost our intake of "Tiger" for the duration so long as the tax department could send the invoices to the H/M care of KPP bus station.

There another problem solved!

Heavy rain here again at tea time ( cricket washed out again), water levels rising which is good news apart from the mosquitos! The market continues to be setting up along the riverside road, should be open thursday and is expected to run until sunday week, packing up for a couple of days after that so avoid the area and remember it will also be a couple of local blocks inside as well, will keep you posted.

Latest news from the waterfront is that there now covered awnings over the prom for spectators for the boat racing although the commentators box has yet to emerge. Market begining to open at 1100, before this time you can get through with a motorbike, go to Immigration early you might be lucky but I would still go by BIG C and down Sawanvittee, they might be stocking up.

Been to Bella Coffee today at Vittethep, had a cheese burger ( pork or chicken and home made) very good and a few crinkle cut chips with it as well 70bts,they also do a bigger version at 90bts with eggs etc. Also you might be glad to hear that you can just buy a beer you DONT have to or are expected to buy food, just like a pub or bar then. Singha (50cl) 60bts, Leo ( 63cl) 70bts. All accompanied by the sort of background music you might remember and at a level that you still converse, coming to Immigration this should be your next port of call!

Armando also does home made Italian style Pizzas but as he has to make the dough he only does about 6 a day, so, if you fancy one, ring ahead and place your order, must get his number some time!!!! ( sounds like Fred that bit ). Reports are that they good.

Archived